A Proposed Puzzle/math Cache - Input Requested

I am experimenting with the placement of a puzzle cache of sorts - i have a very nice location chosen to place the cache - The first leg of the cache would include a physical clue - (ie - hidden in a hollow tree - under a rock - whatever) and I would list the following coord (for the second leg of the cache)

N36 47.XXX

I would have geocachers solve the following math problem to get the rest of the latitude co-ord (XXX):

Problem:

If a circle has an area of 1176.53 units what is the area of the largest possible square that will fit inside the circle?

Round answer off to the nearest whole number and this will give you the decimal portion of the latitude minutes -

The problem for the longitude would be of a similar nature -

ANS: 749 units

Thus the final coord would be N36 47.749

To some this may be complicated - to others it would be easy - the solution may be found in any college algebra book -and can also be solved by hand - from scratch using the Theorem of Pythagorus

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

(this doesn't make me a geek - or does it?)

I don't think it would be too hard. In my 3 months of caching, I have had to change UPC codes, DNA codes, Morse code, and apply knowledge of pop culture and other devious info to get cache coordinates. Go for it!!

p.s. Of COURSE it makes you a geek! We're in the woods using GPS UNITS!! Using billion dollar satellites to find tupperware in the woods.

Edited by Tallahassee Lassie

Ive always wanted to plant a geocache with square roots and imaganary numbers :huh:

There are many geocaches that have very difficult puzzels, just becasue it is hard for some does not mean anything. A google search can help people, if they need personal help give them a hint by hint. Or give them what pi equals, what r stands for. I am sure you will be asked for hints or help

Excellent idea

Ive always wanted to plant a geocache with square roots and imaganary numbers :huh:

There are many geocaches that have very difficult puzzels, just becasue it is hard for some does not mean anything. A google search can help people, if they need personal help give them a hint by hint. Or give them what pi equals, what r stands for. I am sure you will be asked for hints or help

Excellent idea

Imaginary numbers are for the weak! The true Klingon cacher uses complex numbers!

/I have no idea what I'm on about.

Fraid so, welcome to geekdom. Cache idea sounds fine to me. I have seen a cache clue which was a picture of electrical resistors connected in series and parallel combinations. Easy enough for an electronics geek but some of the finders had no electronics background and learned the required physics from scratch. Never underestimate what cachers will learn just to solve the puzzle. :laughing::unsure::)

Just remember that a puzzle cache “may” not be visited as often as a regular cache would in the same area, if you are ok with that you can make puzzle cache as easy or difficult as you want. I currently have 3 puzzles caches and 1 regular cache active.

Edited by vyper4

Replies that come to mind in random order.

1) Do you have your GPSr attached to your belt next to your graphing calculator?

2) Do you have more computers in your house then people?

3) All of your friends have asked you to be their "phone a friend"

4) The pocket protector is not a fashion statement

5) Did you need a calculator to figure out the answer?

Of course that makes you a geek, along with most of the rest of us.

Now if you send me $30 I will teach you the secret geek handshake. :(:(