The Program Worked, I Think I'm Over My Addiction

Windrose

New coins came out today, and I said, "Hmmm, I can buy these or use the almost $20 to buy a tank of gas and go geocaching." Don't get me wrong, they're cute coins -- but I chose the tank of gas.

I think the glut of coins that have flooded the market in the last couple of weeks has finally cured me of the addiction (to coins and icons). I have been buying less and less, and only trading occasionally. I've even skipped a couple of state/regional coins that have come out recently.

My pocket-book is happier, but it's sad to see the end of an era.

Windrose

I don't think I'm cured, but on the road to recovery... I'm very selective about which coins I buy, I'll look at them 3 or 4 times before I finally make up my mind. It really has to strike my fancy for me to buy it. I've been doing more trading than buying lately (which makes my wife alot happier also) There is hope...

Isn't that a nice feeling?

It is nice not having to constantly watch the forum for new coin announcements, though they rarely sell out in a day anymore.

I probably will still buy the established geocaching organization coins, unless they are priced too high.

I never was really into the icons... except for those in the wild (released and found)

My bank account/CC is also much happier. I still have quite afew that I can trade for those that I decide that I really want.

Its great to see other that are fighting the addiction. I could not quite go cold turkey, but almost. I passed on most coins so far. If its not a legit state/regional coin or a personal coin from someone I know or have contact with, its an immediate pass. since I have about a full collection of all state coins, I will still get them. I look forward to Vermont and Alaska, two coins by local caching groups. Who cares about all the coins. Coins I will not touch is any coin series, looks like just a way to sell more coins

It seemed that 6 months ago there would be maybe 4 coins a month come out and it was eazy to get everything. Now with what seems like more than 10 coins a week comming out its just too much. When you got over 50 icons, it doesn't much matter if you get another one or not.

I've cut back for sure... I've activated two to put out this weekend... Had put three USA's aside for FTF prizes... Now I'm thinking of letting a few more coins go free....

Hopefully you all won't totally stop before you have a chance to consider my acorn... :huh:

There's plenty of people to consider your acorn. :huh:

I think the amount of coins coming out makes it seem like people are buying less, and maybe there are. But there's still lots of new people who are coming across geocoins and buying up all the great coins people are offering. I still buy them, but because of all the ones I pass on (there's too many to buy them all), it seems like a "cut back". Bet if I added it up it wouldn't be that way, or at least not as much as it seems!

:huh:

Yes, YES, YES!!

You guys all cut back on the geocoins and then I will buy them all and resell them on eBay for ridiculously inflated prices, then I will be able to afford that second home in the mountains......MUWHAAAAA!!

Just Kidding!

I may need a cut back program too, this can be quite expensive.

I just started collecting... so I created a quick Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my purchases/orders to see when I ordered/payed for/received coins. I also put in cost per coin with shipping included... and totaled my coins and money spent... I went from buying 2-4 coins to 1 and sometimes 2.

Now if I can keep my wife from seeing my speadsheet... :unsure:

Heck, I'm so over my addiction that I folded my coin club (PCC). Most of the members appear to be recovering, as well, since none of them wanted to take it over. RIP, PCC.

I'm basically not buying anymore, only trading out my inventory. It's spring, time to cache!

Edited by hydnsek

Yeah, add me to the list of collectors that were driven off by the rip-offs, commercialization, and over-abundance of geocoins. Of course, there are some I paid for last year that I'm *still* waiting for and I still like some of the coins, but for the most part I don't even know what's out there now.

To Blind Acorn & Team Pez -- I'd love to trade for your personal coin (I have about 10 of my personal coins left), if you're interested in trades. But I've noticed most of the people putting personal coins out now aren't interested in trading for my PC since it's not trackable.

Not that I'm criticizing -- everyone plays the game of collecting in their own way, just as they play the game of geocaching their own way. Trackable with icon is the hot thing right now, but to me (even though I was as addicted to icons as the next person) I'd rather see personal coins that were just personal coins. I mean the first few trackable (and the first few with their own icon) were cool, just because they were new/different, but now they're everywhere.

That's the main reason I haven't even mentioned the coin I had made for the Bug Crew (my grandkids). It's non-trackable & non-numbered, and I figured the only people who'll be interested in trading for it will be the cachers who know us (that they've met at events). So mostly it'll be dropped in caches that they've really enjoyed finding -- the ones with great playscapes.

Windrose

I think the amount of coins coming out makes it seem like people are buying less, and maybe there are. But there's still lots of new people who are coming across geocoins and buying up all the great coins people are offering. I still buy them, but because of all the ones I pass on (there's too many to buy them all), it seems like a "cut back". Bet if I added it up it wouldn't be that way, or at least not as much as it seems!

;)

Thanks Robert :tired:

I thought I had "cut back" until I read your post and realized I haven't really cut back... I'm not buying every coin that comes out (which is more now than it used to be) but I'm not really buying any less, just not all of them! And I thought I was on the road to recovery, I guess I'm just coming up on the exit!

Edited by tdecell

To Blind Acorn & Team Pez -- I'd love to trade for your personal coin (I have about 10 of my personal coins left), if you're interested in trades. But I've noticed most of the people putting personal coins out now aren't interested in trading for my PC since it's not trackable.

Not that I'm criticizing -- everyone plays the game of collecting in their own way, just as they play the game of geocaching their own way. Trackable with icon is the hot thing right now, but to me (even though I was as addicted to icons as the next person) I'd rather see personal coins that were just personal coins. I mean the first few trackable (and the first few with their own icon) were cool, just because they were new/different, but now they're everywhere.

That's the main reason I haven't even mentioned the coin I had made for the Bug Crew (my grandkids). It's non-trackable & non-numbered, and I figured the only people who'll be interested in trading for it will be the cachers who know us (that they've met at events). So mostly it'll be dropped in caches that they've really enjoyed finding -- the ones with great playscapes.

Windrose

I think that is the best way to distribute them. We will doing something similar with our personal coin (also non-trackable/non-numbered. artwork was recently sent out)

It's a good thing to be free of :lol:

In October, I basically just stopped trying to get everything. If I am on the site, see a coin I like for sale, I might grab a few.

Otherwise, I will not stay around with "itchy finger" trying to get it all. I have some of my own coins that I will trade into caches and as I meet other cachers -- it still seems to get me 4-6 coins a month on average -- which is at a level of fun vs. obsession.

I'm cured too! Total coin orders (based on PayPal receipts) for the month of March: 4

Puzzle Coin Set

Mueller Memorial Coin

Canada's First Cache Geocoin

Louisiana

Of course, I still spent close to $75, but that's not as bad as a few months ago when I was spending more on coins than car payments.

Maybe we need to start posting what we didnt buy. I looked at the Geocaching Store and there was one coin comming up every day for a week. I will buy Nebraska, but thats it. I pass on everything else.

Two months ago I had completed collecting all the older state coins, including all the LE additions of state coins. Actually started to get some of the personal coins. My mindset was to stay current and continue to have ALL of the icon coins. That didnt last long. Most coins I could care less about. I will still support state geocaching groups that want to issue a coin (Alaska, Vermont and Utah come to mind) but soon I will begin to pass on state/regional coins that are being made by someone not currently living in the state.

I think we have to have the mindset thatyou can not get more than say 3 or 4 coins per month. That will force you to be selective

yeah... tons in the Geocoin store right now, but I only want 1 Nebraska and 1 Geocacher-U.

I plan on putting up a display case with coins in it, but that means I really don't need to buy multiples, especially since I have yet to activate 1 coin. I currently have 14 coins and only 4 different ones... and I have 18 more coming in. So I have a few to activate, offer as FTF prizes, or trade.