What Kind Of Gps Do You Have

Ahh, what the heck.

Lowrance AirMap 500 and Garmin GPS 72

I keep hearing about lowrance GPSRs. I've never seen one on a shelf to buy or try out. My impression from what I've heard is that they are more expensive but more "professionally oriented" ??? Designed for use in serious ship or boat navigation???

Is that true? Are these units something I should be checking out for the "cool factor" ?

I'll bite! :huh:

Garmin GPSMap 60Cx

Oooooooooooh.......How do you like the 'x' series? What'd you have before?

We have 2; a trusty Garmin eMap that works like a charm, and a Garmin GPS V for auto-routing.

I'm considering a 3rd, the 60CSx, but only if my wife doesn't get too mad at me.

I keep hearing about Lowrance GPSrs. I've never seen one on a shelf to buy or try out. My impression from what I've heard is that they are more expensive but more "professionally oriented" ??? Designed for use in serious ship or boat navigation???

Is that true? Are these units something I should be checking out for the "cool factor" ?

Lowrance makes a variety of units, for everything from the simple i-Finder GO handheld for $60 to full blown sonar/ navigation systems for leisure boats and fishing rigs you mention.

As far as price is concerned, Lowrance handheld GPS units in general are cheaper, and carry more features than comparably priced units. Lowrance's are very good at holding satellite locks, and can maintain decent locks even in tree cover. Currently Lowrance is not offering Auto-routing on it's handhelds, but many of us speculate they are working on that.

Check them out, I bet you'll be surprised.

I have been using a Lowrance iFinder Pro for the last year which I picked because my husband has always used Lowrance in his boats with good luck. It has served it's purpose well but I got the iWay 350c because I figured it would work in and out of the car and would be a nice upgrade. Wrong. I returned it and got the Garmin Quest 2 and I LOVE IT! It is SO much easier to load the waypoints on. It also aquires signal faster and it is also the type that is made for use in and out of the car. I still think even a cheap Garmin would be easier to use than a Lowrance. I don't think the accuracy is any different between the two. It just depends on how much you want to do with it and if you want to spend all that time fooling with the software.

I'm in two bits - an HP4700 PDA with a bluetooth GlobalSat BT338. Running Memory-Map software with 1:50,000 maps of the UK. Beauty of the BT338, besides being Sirf III is it has the same charger as the HP4700.

The maps are so accurate it's possible to find caches without a GPS.