Selling Your Garmin And Lock Codes?

dhbaird

Okay... I have listed my Garmin 76Cs on Ebay and assume that it will be gone in a week or so as I upgrade to the 76CSX...

How do I deal with the lock code registration issue for my City Select 7?

Will Garmin re-assign the lock code to my new unit or will the person who buys it be getting the lock code for free?

I never thought of this issue when I listed it on Ebay... but started thinking about it when I began gathering the packing materials, Mapsource Disk, Documentation books etc...

Okay... I have listed my Garmin 76Cs on Ebay and assume that it will be gone in a week or so as I upgrade to the 76CSX...

Will Garmin re-assign the lock code to my new unit or will the person who buys it be getting the lock code for free?

I never thought of this issue when I listed it on Ebay... but started thinking about it when I began gathering the packing materials, Mapsource Disk, Documentation books etc...

You are normally entitled to two unlock codes for GPSr units that you own. I have used my two - one for GPSMAP 376C and one for eTrex Legend Cx.

The buyer would need to purchase his own copy of Mapsource to load maps. Alternately, you could sell your copy of Mapsource to the buyer and provide the buyer with your unlock code. You wouldwould then need to purchase another version of Mapsource to use with your other GPSs. Garmin thought it through pretty carefully.

Once you have used a unlock code you cannot use it for another GPS. You get two with city select, so if you have used just one you can use the other with your new GPS. If both have been used you have to purchase another from Garmin. You might as well give the one associated with the 76cs to the new purchaser.

HummerH1

The buyer would need to purchase his own copy of Mapsource to load maps. Alternately, you could sell your copy of Mapsource to the buyer and provide the buyer with your unlock code. You wouldwould then need to purchase another version of Mapsource to use with your other GPSs. Garmin thought it through pretty carefully.

They didn't think it through too carefully: Since I can't use my maps with another Garmin GPSr, and I will have to buy more maps anyway, there is no reason for me to stick with Garmin when I start looking for my next one.

Edit: speeling

Edited by rynd

They didn't think it through too carefully: Since I can't use my maps with another Garmin GPSr, and I will have to buy more maps anyway, there is no reason for me to stick with Garmin when I start looking for my next one.

See my post above ... you can normally get two unlock codes for two Garmin GPSrs that you own.

See my post above ... you can normally get two unlock codes for two Garmin GPSrs that you own.

I've already used both.

I don't think that they thought it through at all. I am the one who purchased the maps... They belong to me, not to the GPS that they might be loaded upon. Assigning the lock code to the unit is linking the two together forever... Not very smart, nor very customer friendly.

So what happens if my GPSr dies? Do I have to purchase another lock code in order to use a map program I have already paid good money for with a new unit?

We don't want to use up the second lock code because we were planning on purchasing a Street Pilot for my wife's car and use it there.

Edited by dhbaird

I think that's the beauty of it.

If you have one GPSr and it dies, you can use the software with your replacement unit.

If you decide to upgrade to a better unit, you can use the software with it.

If you own two GPSrs, you can use the software with both of them, but you don't get to use it for a third. I think this is pretty fair.

"I am the one who purchased the maps... They belong to me, not to the GPS that they might be loaded upon. "

Well, unfortunately that's not true. Software is considered intellectual property and is not owned by the buyer. That's why you have to agree to an end-user license agreement when using most software. It would be the same as saying that when you buy a music CD you own the music.

I don't like the unlock code policy but I understand why Garmin did it. If they didn't I could buy a copy of Mapsource and distribute it to all my friends (or load their GPSs with maps so they didn't have to buy a copy of Mapsource).

I'm just saying that I think it's a bad customer relations policy. Since I have to buy maps again anyway there is no real reason not to switch to another brand.

Of course I realize that most GPSr buyers are "brand loyal", and they are counting on that, and yes I will probably stick with them but, if I find something else I like better... .

I stick with Microsoft because I know if I replace my windows machine I have software that will run on it so I'm not likely to move to mac. It seems to me that they could make it possible to move maps from one GPSr to another without having to re-buy it.

As far as music Cd's go: The record company's may not agree, but if I buy a CD I expect to be able to play it in any CD player I want. And if I decide to convert it to mp3 and play it on my computer or my mp3 player or even copy it to tape to play in the tape player, I will. I'm not likely to buy a copy for every player I have and as long as I'm not selling or giving copy's to others I don't see anything wrong with that.

Edit: Forgot to spell check.

Edited by rynd

I stick with Microsoft because I know if I replace my windows machine I have software that will run on it so I'm not likely to move to mac. It seems to me that they could make it possible to move maps from one GPSr to another without having to re-buy it.

I have a large number of very expensive graphics programs for my work. None of them link them to my Computer, only to me the user. If they have an activation routine, like Microsoft currently does, they give you an 800 number and when you explain that you have just upgraded your computer they give you a new activation code. That is what I expect with software purchases. I am on my third computer with the same version of MS Office XP.

As far as music Cd's go: The record company's may not agree, but if I buy a CD I expect to be able to play it in any CD player I want. And if I decide to convert it to mp3 and play it on my computer or my mp3 player or even copy it to tape to play in the tape player, I will. I'm not likely to buy a copy for every player I have and as long as I'm not selling or giving copy's to others I don't see anything wrong with that.

Agree with you totally here. When you buy a license, do you only buy it to play it one or two times? No, you

buy it to play as long as you own the cd.

In my mind, by linking program to GPSr they have basically increased the cost of each Garmin by $100 for each unit. If I had known that before I purchased I never would have moved to Garmin as the platform for my GPS activities. I assumed, wrongly that once I had bought the software that I could use it on my Garmin based units like I use my Adobe software on my last 3 computers.

After I sell, I may still upgrade to a 76csx because I don't want to purchase another batch of software right now... but when I have to purchase my wife's unit, I probaby will look elsewhere since I will have to spend money on software anyway.

That is what makes it bad customer relations. No matter how good the unit may be, if the cost per unit goes up by $100 to be able to be able to use it then it is logical to look elsewhere.

It's my understanding that Garmin will sell a two-pack of unlock codes for $100, so the cost per unit to use the Mapsource programs is effectively an additional $50.

Also, if a unit goes bad and it sent to Garmin, they will return a new unlock code if the unit is replaced. They just did that for me.

You can use unlocked products such as Topo on more than one computer, as long as it is the same individual using it and the software is not being used on the different computers concurrently ("never loaded at the same time it is loaded on your primary computer"). It can be loaded on a home pc and a work pc, for example.

you will find that garmin's policy of software unlocks is not strictly a "garmin" thing. each of the gps manufacturer's that offers a hydrographic navigation product or a street navigation product based on navteq data has to adopt this structure or one very similar to it.

this is mandated by the organizations that own the map data - garmin does not. magellan does not. lowrance does not.

stepping up...

that said, i too find fault with tying a map product to a specific gps serial number. in my mind it means that instead of purchasing that newest hardware i might delay or put off that purchase altogether because i may need to repurchase all my software at the same time becuase i've run out of unlock codes.

and stepping down off my soapbox...

i'm sure there are ways that garmin could make this better for all of us, but i believe it's the organizations that own the map data that control how garmin's licensing model works with these products.

I think the manufacturers who make GPS units make profits on the units themselves. Any seperate software needed to enhance the unit should be sold seperately but ownership should belong to the purchaser to do whatever he/she sees fit. Alas, there are more $$ to be made the way the manufacturers have it set up now. These limited unlock codes only work because people are willing to pay the price. I'm surprised that with the number of tech oriented users here, cracked codes aren't more popular. Then again, maybe there are - just not as obvious as in other forums. Of course that wouldn't be legal :huh: but it would kinda even things out.

It's my understanding that Garmin will sell a two-pack of unlock codes for $100, so the cost per unit to use the Mapsource programs is effectively an additional $50.

Can you tell me where you got that information? I've looked around the Garmin web site and I can't find anything that tells me what a new unlock code costs.

I think the manufacturers who make GPS units make profits on the units themselves. Any seperate software needed to enhance the unit should be sold seperately but ownership should belong to the purchaser to do whatever he/she sees fit.

Of course one of the things that such a policy would allow people to do is make essentially unlimited copies to sell or give away to others. That might not hurt the GPS manufacturers all that much since their lost sales on map software might be recouped with greater sales of the hardware which would be more popular if buyers didn't have to factor in the cost of maps. But it could be devastating for companies like NavTeq that provide the map data and depend on earning revenue from those sales.

Alas, there are more $$ to be made the way the manufacturers have it set up now.

Note that neither Garmin nor Magellan implemented any form of protection for the map software that was derived from publicly available USGS and TIGER databases as used in the old Roads&Recreation, Garmin's USTopo, and Magellan's MapSend Topo and MapSend Streets programs. The use of lock codes and other protection methods came when these companies turned to NavTeq for more up-to-date and routable map data as used in CitySelect/Navigator and DirectRoute/3DTopo map products. It doesn't look to me like adding such protection was the idea of the GPS manufacturers, but rather of the map data supplier, i.e. NavTeq. And with good reason given that developing their database is not an inexpensive undertaking for NavTeq and they have reason to be concerned that it might become freely available which would prevent them from getting any return on their investment.

Edited by peter

I think the manufacturers who make GPS units make profits on the units themselves. Any seperate software needed to enhance the unit should be sold seperately but ownership should belong to the purchaser to do whatever he/she sees fit.

Of course one of the things that such a policy would allow people to do is make essentially unlimited copies to sell or give away to others. That might not hurt the GPS manufacturers all that much since their lost sales on map software might be recouped with greater sales of the hardware which would be more popular if buyers didn't have to factor in the cost of maps. But it could be devastating for companies like NavTeq that provide the map data and depend on earning revenue from those sales.

Alas, there are more $$ to be made the way the manufacturers have it set up now.

Note that neither Garmin nor Magellan implemented any form of protection for the map software that was derived from publicly available USGS and TIGER databases as used in the old Roads&Recreation, Garmin's USTopo, and Magellan's MapSend Topo and MapSend Streets programs. The use of lock codes and other protection methods came when these companies turned to NavTeq for more up-to-date and routable map data as used in CitySelect/Navigator and DirectRoute/3DTopo map products. It doesn't look to me like adding such protection was the idea of the GPS manufacturers, but rather of the map data supplier, i.e. NavTeq. And with good reason given that developing their database is not an inexpensive undertaking for NavTeq and they have reason to be concerned that it might become freely available which would prevent them from getting any return on their investment.

Then explain why I can install Delorme Street Atlas on any of my computers here and use it with both generations of the Delorme puck-type GPS units on my laptop. I've used that software without having to pay a lock-code on each one of my workstations for the last 6 years.

I also purchased a GPS adaptor (not manufactured by Delorme) on my old Palm PDA and it worked with the Street Atlas and Delorme Topo 3D as well. Just plugged the adaptor into the PDA and uploaded the maps using Solus and away I went. The software did not care what kind of GPS I was using nor what platform. As long as I had purchased the rights, which I had, I could use the software on whatever mix of equipment and platform that I had available.

I am used to such portability. When a company sells me the use of a particular piece of software of course I do not have the right to copy it and give it way. I don't do that. It is illegal and not just. But when a company sells me a piece of software and then says, oh by the way, you can use it twice no matter how long you might own it, that is wrong.

As many people have indicated, streets, roads, mountains and trails do not change that much. I have avoided upgrading my Street Atlas version 7 for at least 6 years, maybe more. My Delorme Topo 3d program is version 3... Dont even know what new version is out there. Both have served me well. I am on my second laptop, 3rd GPS (soon to be a 4th) during that same time period. I expected the same to be true with the Garmin product line of mapping software and now I am very disappointed.

I think the manufacturers who make GPS units make profits on the units themselves. Any seperate software needed to enhance the unit should be sold seperately but ownership should belong to the purchaser to do whatever he/she sees fit. Alas, there are more $$ to be made the way the manufacturers have it set up now. These limited unlock codes only work because people are willing to pay the price. I'm surprised that with the number of tech oriented users here, cracked codes aren't more popular. Then again, maybe there are - just not as obvious as in other forums. Of course that wouldn't be legal :laughing: but it would kinda even things out.

:unsure:

I think that the price of the maps is quite reasonable. Can you imagine the cost if you had to buy all of these maps or charts that you get for $100.

I use my Garmin on my boat and each paper chart is about $20 (Canadian) and I need about 5 -10 for my local area. The safety of having this technology for me and my family is cheap at the price.

My road map book for Toronto and area was over $20 and for SW Ontario was another $20. All this without the great feature of autorouting that I get with my Garmin City Select North America.

You don't need the maps for geocaching as many people just use the etrex banana. If you want, or need the maps and charts then pay for them! If you upgrade to a new GPSr and you have used all of your lock codes it is probably time to get the updated charts and maps too.

Can you tell me where you got that information? I've looked around the Garmin web site and I can't find anything that tells me what a new unlock code costs.

You could try here or here or here.

I don't think that they thought it through at all. I am the one who purchased the maps... They belong to me, not to the GPS that they might be loaded upon. Assigning the lock code to the unit is linking the two together forever... Not very smart, nor very customer friendly.

So what happens if my GPSr dies? Do I have to purchase another lock code in order to use a map program I have already paid good money for with a new unit?

We don't want to use up the second lock code because we were planning on purchasing a Street Pilot for my wife's car and use it there.

If your gps breaks and you send it to garmin and they and 'fix' it (or swap it), and it ends up with a different unit number I think they'll give you another unlock code. Of course getting them to fix something major often means its either still under warrenty or your paying the flat repair rate. Seems like a thought out system to me.

In some ways giving you two codes makes buying a second autorouting gps unit more appealing, but on the otherside whenever you've used both codes and are looking for yet another unit theres nothing drawing you to buy more garmin products (except maybe you're already familar with previous ones).

Then explain why I can install Delorme Street Atlas on any of my computers here and use it with both generations of the Delorme puck-type GPS units on my laptop. I've used that software without having to pay a lock-code on each one of my workstations for the last 6 years.

Acutally you can install the (locking) garmin maps on as many computers as you want, you just can't use them on a gps without using an unlock code (which is for that gps unit, not the computer its hooked to).

The use of lock codes and other protection methods came when these companies turned to NavTeq for more up-to-date and routable map data as used in CitySelect/Navigator and DirectRoute/3DTopo map products.

A) Delorme doesn't use NavTeq. They're a mapping company first and a software company second. So the software side of Delorme and the mapping side of Delorme probably pay each other in monpoly money while Garmin/Magellan/Google/Microsoft that use NavTeq have to pay in real money with real contracts and such.

B) In your case, maps are not being transferred to a GPS receiver. (I know that argument doesn't quite hold water with the Garmin 18, a puck that requires unlock, but it's the exception in the industry and surely influenced by the fact that it _is_ the exception for Garmin.)

I'd wager there are contractual obligations between the resellers and the actual collectors of data for the map biz to ensure the maps don't get passed around from receiver to receiver. Peter summed it up pretty well: the hardware makers have a nice copy protection dongle - the receiver itself. As customers, it's easy to think "well, we bought the receiver, the maps should be included', but the guys actually selling the map data to the GPS vendors want paid, too.

I'd wager there are contractual obligations between the resellers and the actual collectors of data for the map biz to ensure the maps don't get passed around from receiver to receiver. Peter summed it up pretty well: the hardware makers have a nice copy protection dongle - the receiver itself. As customers, it's easy to think "well, we bought the receiver, the maps should be included', but the guys actually selling the map data to the GPS vendors want paid, too.

I did pay the map data vendors... when I paid for the license the first time. Just like I paid Delorme when I purchased the Topo and Street Atlas programs. I paid them for the work they put into the data, the maps and the research they go through. Once I did that, Delorme does not seem to care what laptop or pda I use them on or what GPS is attached to the laptop or PDA.

That is what I expect from a customer friendly software vendor not a dongle controlled product. I avoided a number of CAD programs ( I am a former CAD designer) if they required a dongle because too many times the dongle itself would not work with technology changes. I just got called into a construction company that experienced just that problem. They have a whole bank of brand new 64 bit Dell workstations that will not run any of their dongle protected design programs because the dongle expects a 32 bit system.

Linking the software with a particular GPSr is just greed in my mind. You have a captive audience so wring every nickel out of them that you can. All the good will that Garmin might get for good customer service for replacing a 50cent USB weather cap pales in comparison.

Do they discount the Mapsource software if you do not have a Garmin GPSr to load it up on, that you just wanted for the maps? I doublt it.

I'm not looking for free maps. Yes it would be nice if Garmin included the maps with the GPSr (Which they do IE. the base maps) ,but I know they wouldn't have the same quality and features as they do. All I'm saying is it would be nice to be able to transfer the maps that I have from the GPSr that I sell to the new Gpsr I buy.

I'm assuming that the licensing agreement will not allow me to make copy's of the disks that the software is on. To me this brings up another problem. If I sell my GPSr to someone there is no practical or legal way to include the maps that are unlocked for that unit. I can't give them my copy because I still need it and I can't make them a copy because I'm not supposed to. This makes that unlock completely useless.

Yes, so will the CD's copy for backup purposes or not?

I was planning on including a copy of my mapsource when I sold my GPSV which itis unlocked to...but now I'm not sure that such a good idea....

I'm not looking for free maps. Yes it would be nice if Garmin included the maps with the GPSr (Which they do IE. the base maps) ,but I know they wouldn't have the same quality and features as they do. All I'm saying is it would be nice to be able to transfer the maps that I have from the GPSr that I sell to the new Gpsr I buy.

I'm assuming that the licensing agreement will not allow me to make copy's of the disks that the software is on. To me this brings up another problem. If I sell my GPSr to someone there is no practical or legal way to include the maps that are unlocked for that unit. I can't give them my copy because I still need it and I can't make them a copy because I'm not supposed to. This makes that unlock completely useless.

If you sell a Garmin GPS and the associated (unlocked) Mapsource product the buyer would be able to use Mapsource with that unit. You would need to provide the unlock code to the buyer. However, per Garmin's unlock policy the seller would no longer be allowed to use that Mapsource product, even with the second unlock code. One owner and user of a Mapsource product only. As for selling the GPS with maps loaded , that should be OK since there is no way to delete the maps, even if you wanted to.

Reset will not remove maps. There is no way to remove maps; they can only be overwritten.

As for unlock being useless, I guess that depends on your perspective. I paid Garmin for the right to use their mapping product and I have used it extensively. I don't consider that useless personally: I got value for it.

In the Netherlands at geocaching.nl they put their heads into the sand and you get banned opening this discussion. Garmins will is law?

But

To my opinion this is a garmin problem. Not a consumer problem.

To the wholeseller i mentioned this a couple of times.

My opinion is that forcing you to buy two unlocks to keep the price high, is not allowed by European law.

Some say you buy one and get one for free. (How dom are we?)

They do the same when you buy your gps in the US, you have to buy your mappingsoftware in Europe.

And what do they do; you can only buy it as a package; also forbidden by european economic law.

What happens; people buy together copie the cd's; and sell the trash that comes with it.

Next step they took was selling a us version of the 60csx serie with only 4 languages to force people to buy the much to expensive european models.

What happens; bright software students somewhere make a patch.

Now Garmin has a technical support problem; we do not service........bla bla

(sorry this is very much beginning to look like Magell.... What was that brand cold?)

Dear Garmin this goes as far as the market accepts it.

It is more smart to sell software for one gps and a lot cheaper; this stops all the not wanted activities.

Let the consumer make their choice.

You can only win by being the best and not by cheating and that is what it is.

Cheating leads to cheating. What a loss of time.

Why don't you outsmarten Tomtom instead of hurting your truest fan's YOUR CUSTOMERS

Only one good compettitor has to understand this and it is game over.

Who drives a japanese car?

Edited by dusee

In the Netherlands at geocaching.nl they put their heads into the sand and you get banned opening this discussion. Garmins will is law?

But

To my opinion this is a garmin problem. Not a consumer problem.

To the wholeseller i mentioned this a couple of times.

My opinion is that forcing you to buy two unlocks to keep the price high, is ...

I honestly still don't see the problem. You buy the software and can use it on your GPSr. If you upgrade your GPSr, you can use it on that one, too. If you upgrade your unit twice, it is likely that there is a better version of the maps available anyway.

I don't think Garmin should be required to let you to continue to load the maps to an infinite number of units. What would stop you from sharing it with everyone you know? I think the current requirements are a reasonable solution.

Any time Garmin has replaced a unit under warranty they gave me a new unlock code. I consider $100 a real bargain for the City Select maps and POI base. A good US map set is $20 and its crap compared to what you get in City Select. I got nRoute for free from Garmin .... what a bargain. I'm thinking I got a great deal myself! :) ImpalaBob

I don't see it as Garmin cheating. When I found out that there were two unlocks I looked at the second one as if it was a bonus, and not that you were forced to buy two at a time. I also don't think that I should be able to use it on as many units as I want (at least not at the same time), or that it's OK to share with every one I know.

I just think that you should be able move the maps from an old unit to a new one. You are correct in that I need to upgrade anyway, but it would be nice to be able to use the old maps on the new GPSr instead of having to wait until I could afford to buy both at the same time. Then I could upgrade to get the newer maps, not just because I have a different GPS. I'm sure that Garmin could allow this and still keep me from sharing them. I also think that this would be a big selling point for Garmin because I would be less tempted to buy another brand.

If I can't use the maps that I have then why can't I let the person who gets my old unit use them. If I could offer someone the maps when someone with another brand can't I would think they would be more likely to go for, and stick with, Garmin.

I don't see why they should be lost just because I trade. That seems wastefully to me.

However, per Garmin's unlock policy the seller would no longer be allowed to use that Mapsource product, even with the second unlock code. One owner and user of a Mapsource product only. As for selling the GPS with maps loaded , that should be OK since there is no way to delete the maps, even if you wanted to.

If you really want to remove the maps there are several ways to do so: 1) reload Garmin's Marine POI database that comes preloaded in the map memory of many of their units; 2) load any of various public domain free maps such as those at the cgpsmapper 'MapCenter;' 3) load in a map that only has one segment containing some tiny island out in the ocean and maybe a total memory size of a couple KB (yes technically this last one doesn't quite remove all the maps - but it's essentially the same).

But I doubt Garmin or NavTeq really has any interest in going after individuals selling used units with a few maps included (or for going after private sellers who keep using one of their unlock codes while letting the buyer use the second one). They did send warning notices a few years ago to dealers who were offering to preload units with selected maps. My guess is that this dealer practice probably increased map sales once the customers realized how useful the maps were and wanted to have the whole CD instead of just a small selected area.