Anyone Else Find Something Illegal While Out Caching?

LCAS-271

Not while caching, but I've found a pot patch and a dead body while Orienteering. (Not at the same time) Body was decomposing in a shallow grave in a hefty bag.

Ok, that's a story you must share!

And why don't I ever find anything more interesting than dead animals and panties? (no, not together because THAT would be interesting!)

Ok.. was about 1992, and I was field checking the final square kilometer or so of an Orienteering map with a printing deadline looming just ahead. I noticed a bone sticking up out of the ground maybe 30 feet away... not unusual as there are a lot of deer in the area and a road only a hundred meters or so up the bank above me. Probably road kill.... then it struck me that the bone had the skeleton of a foot not a hoof attached. Closer inspection showed some clothing nearby, some scraps of black plastic bag, and one empty eye socket looking at me from the red clay. Most of the rest of the skull was still covered with dirt. Finished mapping the immediate area, then when I took my lunch break stopped by the park office to report it. At first they thought that I was some Bambi lover concerned about a dead fawn, but after I described some of the clothing they called in the State Police. The local paper ran some artist's idea of what she might have looked like, then a year later ran it again... to my knowledge, nothing more was ever published.

OK. This is such a dangerous topic that I believe we should have some information out there.

Read my post #28 above.

We have found booby trapped fields. A hidden shotgun trip wired, punji pits, dead falls, hidden explosives altho that is very rare but we've seen it. The usual is the punji pit and seen several wired shotguns.

People don't realize just how dangerous these folks make the area. The punji pits are to injure a person. The shotguns and dead falls would definitely injure someone but they can also easily kill a person. The sad part if it is they don't discriminate. They may get you, or they may get your 5 yr old kid who is running ahead of you on the trail.

The meth chemicals are poison. Think if your 5 yr old runs ahead and picks up the bag of discarded meth products thinking it might be the cache. With this stuff you don't get a second chance or a do-over.

A shootgun bullet by it self would be harmless unless it is in a barrel to direct the force of the gun powder going off the prejectile itself will just fall out. The rest will caue harm

A shootgun bullet by it self would be harmless unless it is in a barrel to direct the force of the gun powder going off the prejectile itself will just fall out. The rest will caue harm

It wasn't a "shootgun bullet". It was a trip wire shotgun.

Have you ever seen such a set up? Hidden shotgun set with a trip wire to the trigger? Aimed at the trail?

They're a lot more dangerous than a "shootgun bullet".

Edited by Wadcutter

we archived one of our caches as we had a finder notify us thru private email that there was a bong hidden near one of our caches, we couldnt go and check on it for a few days, that weekend we went to the site, found the item, didnt move it went to the local police station and had to explain the whole geocaching thing, (the officer owns a GPS and thought he would check out the website) we hiked out the the area in the city park, and the officer conficated the contraband. Being a EMT in wisconsin, you can loose your (medical) license for having any drug convictions. (even having a used bong is a possession charge). After talking with the officer on the way to the cache and back find out in Michigan where the cache was placed, you can legally have a bong or pipe even with residue in it and It is completly legal as long as you don't hold any of the pot too.

Funny how different states laws are.

We own a Polaris Ranger (sorta like a golf cart on steroids) that goes everwhere off-road a quad can go and then some.

We are part of a Polaris Ranger Club and we had a rally with other Ranger owners in Winrock, TN the end of September.

As part of one of our rides, they had set up some caches and marked the coordinates. They then passed out the information on where the 9 caches were located and we had to find the correct trails to get there, etc. There were two teams with 3 to 4 Rangers in each team.

We took off on our all-day adventure and found the last cach in a small grave yard located on one of the quad trails. Instead of heading back the "easy" gravel road, we decided to take a "moderate" trail back to the main road. You could tell that this trail had not been taken in a long time, we had to clear several trees off of the trail, etc. We had a good time none-the-less, but it took us quite a while longer to follow this trail.

We rounded one of the last big turns in the trail and came across a fairly new Hyundai Sonata with South Carolina licence plates on it. There was mail falling out of the glovebox onto the front seat with a South Carolina address on it. It was sitting in the middle of a large mud hole. The car was a little beat up from being driven through the brush, but none of the windows were broken. We took pictures and logged the coordinated on our GPS, jotted down the VIN and headed back to camp. Back at camp, one of our members was a police officer from Michigan. We gave him all of the information and he called it in. The next morning, the local officials met us at basecamp and we gave them all of the information and they went to retrieve the car.

Wildest thing we've ever saw!

Just had to reply to this forum after a recent adventure on 11/12/06. My girlfriend and I were caching in the Marblehead area outside of Sandusky, OH and decided to go to Kelleys Island. After doing a few other island caches, we decided to tackle the multi "A,K&Js Kelleys Island Run-Around" (GCRVXX). We found the first stage and proceeded to the second. There was a roadside monument that we searched, but found nothing. After extending the search zone for 100 feet down the road, we almost gave up. I finally decided to check a different rocky spot and found an ammobox. "Hey this must be the cache!", I thought. Opened it up and found it half full of marijuana. Needless to say, we put it back and stopped looking for the cache.

I was finally able to get a hold of a deputy on Tuesday and gave him directions to it. He and the chief went out and called me back 15 minutes later, as they were having troubles. A few minutes later they had the ammobox in hand.

And I thought having one of my caches being blown up by a bomb squad was one of my weirdest geocaching experiences!!

I think it would be a good idea to report your find to the police. Meth labs usually leave a lot of nasty stuff and they should know about it and hopefully they'll send in the pros to clean it up.

I agree, and also you don't want anyone else to stumble upon that and accidently use it do you? :)

Me and my ma & pops were geocaching and found over 40 stolen credit cards and 11 driver license's.

We toke it all to the police station and we haven't heard anything from them since except the credit cards were from all around the world. Texas, Washington, Las Vegas. You know a place and there's probabley a credit card from there.

I opened up a cache to find a pack of cigarettes, some bullets, and a bag'o green stuff..I assumed it was pot and removed all the bad stuff..there was actually a log from some hunters saying they accidently found it..hmm..also at another cache back in the woods abit..we had found the cache and were heading back and found several ladies purses..which I assume was a place where a purse snatcher had threw them after taking what he wanted..I turned this into the local police..

I hope a cacher local to me will forgive me for grabbing his cache. I found it on the ground under where it should have been hidden. I picked it up because I was just going to replace it and explain to my gf who I'm teaching the "how to find a cache" basics that replacing it was a good thing when I saw that one of the magnets had fallen off of it. I was not only after it to teach her my gpsr's find feature, but for a travel bug that was in it.

So I brought it home with me to inspect it because a muggle was watching me. This was an urban cache and a sweet hide. One of the travel bugs that was supposed to be in it is gone. The baggie holding the log smelled of weed so I replace it. I also replace the pencil. I write a log to let the owner know that I think it was muggled.

I dispose of a broken keychain (cito rules) and look in the bottom of the cache. There is a small bud, just enough for a couple of good hits if you have a pipe. I toss that into the "dirty" baggie and write in the log that I'm going to dispose of it.

There's a meet in two days. I'm bringing it with me to give back to the owner if he's going to be there.

Hey... at least its weed, not meth. :(

A cacher while searching for a cache in a park in a lovely Pretoria, upmarket suburb, South Africa came across 2 hand guns right close to the cache, he phoned the cops who promptly told him " dont worry just bring them to the local police station" no investigation no fingerprints done. The worst was the cops asking them to do their job for them.

Cache I FTF last night was ... interesting.

Somebody came by in a red car (cars go vroom and take people places) and took my photo of me in my car and then as I left the scene and was "following" it, took another photo of me in my car.

Cacher in the area said to me that they do have an extreme block watch. Good to know, sorta. I can just see the cops running my plates and then coming over to ask me what I've been up to.

I'm so glad I have the gc-u flyer laminated. somewhere. here... really I do.

Yep! Found a Sawed-off shotgun while caching in Wabash, IN -- called local authorities to retrieve. ;)

Also a tin box of "Various drug paraphernalia" and broken glass pipe (appeared to have been tossed from a passing car) -- didn't bother with this since the pipe was broken and the items rusting badly. <_<

I've never found anything illegal, I do hope to find a bag full of money from a bank robbery.

Hummmm turn it in or buy that new color GPS. HUmmmmm

If anybody lost a big roll of money with a rubberband around it, I'd like to say that I've found your rubberband. :laughing:

I'm kinda suprised at how much illegal stuff has been found during caching, but then again as long as people think 'in the woods' = 'alone' then this thread will last forever.

Why do people "call the cops" when they found weed or weed related items? What's the purpose? I don't get it. Are they trying to get someone in trouble? Would that make them feel good? Do they want a pat on the back? Really what does this accomplish? I'd never interfere in someone else life in a negative way, why do people insist on being whistle blowers? What harm is being dome if someone grows a little pot? If you don't like it, don't smoke it. And don't give me "It's about the kids" They shouldn't even recognize it and if they do then they are old enough to have connections at school and your best bet at keeping them away from it is education and respect. I can understand wanting to shut down a Meth lab, but weed? Com on.

Why do people "call the cops" when they found weed or weed related items? What's the purpose? I don't get it. Are they trying to get someone in trouble? Would that make them feel good? Do they want a pat on the back? Really what does this accomplish? I'd never interfere in someone else life in a negative way, why do people insist on being whistle blowers? What harm is being dome if someone grows a little pot? If you don't like it, don't smoke it. And don't give me "It's about the kids" They shouldn't even recognize it and if they do then they are old enough to have connections at school and your best bet at keeping them away from it is education and respect. I can understand wanting to shut down a Meth lab, but weed? Com on.

Your county is spelled Delaware. What do you teach?

Your county is spelled Delaware. What do you teach?

What's your point? I don't teach keyboarding.

Chill out. Light up a fatty and relax.

Before geocaching started, in Dec 1987 / Jan 1988, I was a member of the Australian & New Zealand Scientific Exploration Society expedition to the Windsor / Carbine Tablelands of northern Queensland. While looking for brush tailed bettongs (hoping marsupials with brush tails, usually carried rolled up) and yellow bellied gliders (gliding tree possums), we found a cache of gas cannisters, fertiliser, food, a rifle butt etc, hidden under some cam netting. Presumably, this was a supply dump for a marijuana grower, as there were some large patches in the rainforest. At the time (not sure if it's changed now), the penalty for having >100 plants was life imprisonment, same as for murder - which did make us not want to meet the owner! We reported it to other expedition groups, so that they could avoid the area, and also informed the police, but asked them not to take action until the expedition left in a couple of weeks. A few days later, Queensland Police raided one of the group camps, torches to eyes, guns to heads, but refused to say why - although due to the expedition rumour machine, our members did know why.

Why do people "call the cops" when they found weed or weed related items? What's the purpose? I don't get it. Are they trying to get someone in trouble? Would that make them feel good? Do they want a pat on the back? Really what does this accomplish? I'd never interfere in someone else life in a negative way, why do people insist on being whistle blowers?

Some of us hold licenses that could be revoked if we were to be caught with drugs, or/even weed on our person or nearby. This is just a way to protect ourselves, as well as be in compliance with the laws and showing our children or grandchildren that we should obey even the goofy laws that we may not fully agree with.

What harm is being dome if someone grows a little pot?

None, I say!!! But I make my living on the highways, and should they grow it, then use it and take to the road, the penalty should be the same or more than that for driving after finding the bottom of a few cans. We always hear "It doesn't hurt anyone!", but that is hardly the case when an accident occurs.

That is a very stupid and irresponsible viewpoint. Maybe you will get into an accident someday where the driver of the other car is high from mary jane. Its just a little weed- come on? Its against the law- period. It damages not only the lives of those who use it, but the lives of others that they come in contact with.

Because I had a friend that was killed by drug dealers while he was "just messing around with weed."

Because I don't like illegal drugs or dealers or where the money trails lead.

Because pot does affect your brain and your lungs.

They do it because it's the correct thing to do. It's called integrity.

There wasn't anything illegal about this cache but the first time finder had second thoughts about it. The cache, GCWA98, which was on an island in a lagoon in a park near my home has since been archived. This is his post:

June 2, 2006 by puzzler&burrgirl (1337 found)

Wow, what a morning. My very first FTF. That old inflatable mattress came in handy. Signed the log at 5:19am. As I was about to head for the mainland, I watched as first 1, then 2, then 3, and eventually 6 squad cars circled the lagoon. I began to question the legality of my actions. So I paddled back and was approached by one of the units with 2 grinning police officers. They were curious as to what I was up to. I gave them a brief overview of geocaching and they wished me luck and sent me on my merry way, assuring me that they were not there for me. On the way out, 2 squads were arresting a bare chested, mulleted individual. I took the James Dean coin and left 8 Sacagawea dollar coins. TFTC

My sons bike got ripped off last summer, we just found the remains of it, while out caching near our home. Also while back there last summer, I thought I had stumbled across a dead body, saw the whitest legs ever sticking out underneath a collapsed tent, ran as fast as I could outta those woods, called the cops, and had to go back to show them where it was, but when we returned no "body" or nobody was there. Must have been a squatter. I was scared out of my mind. lol funny looking back at it now

That is a very stupid and irresponsible viewpoint. Maybe you will get into an accident someday where the driver of the other car is high from mary jane. Its just a little weed- come on? Its against the law- period. It damages not only the lives of those who use it, but the lives of others that they come in contact with.

Are you kiddin' me? You call me stupid? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? ;>

Nothing was said about not reporting high drivers. Your argument is not relevent to the issue and you call me stupid? Following your logic if you find a bottle of allergy medicine you should call the cops because people should not drive while taking anti-histamines.

Are you kiddin' me? You call me stupid? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? ;>

Nothing was said about not reporting high drivers. Your argument is not relevent to the issue and you call me stupid? Following your logic if you find a bottle of allergy medicine you should call the cops because people should not drive while taking anti-histamines.

um, mary jane is a little more than a "anti-histamine"

From my post on a cache:

"Warning: Also found an interesting container east of the site. Had crack pipes and assesories in it. It is still there. I wasn't going to drive around with it in my van to dispose of it properly. The Deputy may come back with my luck and wouldn't believe my story.

HEADLINES: GEOCACHER ARRESTED FOR CRACK CACHE

Photos posted when transfered from phone to computer"

2133f0b6-0b22-470b-8de7-0b4373c9cb76.jpg

recently while taking a friend caching for the first time we went to a park. and at the cords we started bush diving. didnt find the cache but found a crack pipe. broke it and threw it away left without cache because we were scared of getting stuck with something and there were also some shady looking men hanging around my car. didnt like that much.

Umm... the phrase "the pot calling the kettle black" implies that ther person speaking does not practice what they preach. Given they didn't say that they smoked pot... that would mean that they're neither a pot nor a kettle. Just thought I'd point that out.

Secondly... yes, their argument Is related to the issue. Smoking pot gets you high. They were making a statement about its inherent danger. It also remains illegal, as they also stated.

Thirdly... correct, some allergy medications you do NOT take while driving. In fact, many of them specifically state "do not operate heavy machinery while taking this drug", or something similar. A car is indeed mechanical... and heavy... thus heavy machinery. At which point, it would indeed be illegal to use that while driving.

Cripes man... stop trying to drag the topic towards "pot should be legal", or whatever your point is. There's other message boards entirely for that purpose. The topic is about FINDING illegal things... not USING illegal things.

EDIT: On another note... haven't specifically found anything illegal while geocaching... but a group of about 8 punk kids on bikes were closing in to mug me recently. Not so much finding something illegal, but something illegal attempting to find me ;)

Edited by Kabuthunk

I didnt call you stupid. I said that viewpoint was stupid. (But if the shoe fits...)

I dont know how its the pot calling the kettle black. Ive never puffed a cigarette, let alone tried any illegal drugs.

The issue wasnt about high drivers. You were talking about why people report drugs or what was the harm in it. After someone uses drugs what controls them? Certainly not themselves (as they couldnt even control themselves to NOT take the drugs.) So essentially, the drugs control them. I dont anyone to get hurt because someone else is using drugs. Thats why i think a responsible grown up would do the right thing, and report a crime or a dangerous situation.

Edited by knight2000

Looks like Anslinger made quick work of this crowd, lol. I never could figure out how they made a plant illegal, but a cheap gallon of Tequila can be had for any idiot with $20. Personally, I'll take a pothead over a drunk any day of the week, regardless of what the idiot law says. The law sure didn't help me as I had to endure a drunken idiot with profane language while watching a hockey game with my kids last week.

Marijuana....it's gonna GET YOU!!!

assassin.jpg

Looks like Anslinger made quick work of this crowd, lol. I never could figure out how they made a plant illegal, but a cheap gallon of Tequila can be had for any idiot with $20. Personally, I'll take a pothead over a drunk any day of the week, regardless of what the idiot law says.

I soooo agreee!!! :P

Not that I make a point to hang out with either type, I'd much rather be stuck in a crowd of stoned people than drunks ANY day! Stoned people usually just want to sleep and leave everyone else alone, drunks usually want to be obnoxious!

Back on the topic of finding illeagal stuff while caching, we did find what we thought were old containers of meth ingredients, being in the middle of the desert, no point in calling the police, they won't come. We did literally trip over a homeless guy while night caching once. It was either a homeless guy or a body wrapped in a roll of carpet :anicute:

We didn't stick around to find out.

On our very first caching expedition we found pipes -- either hash or pot, didn't stop to find out. We went ahead and left and then my boyfriend called the local police. For two reasons, (1) didn't want some innocent geocacher getting arrested for being there and (2) I've lost family members to the pit that is drugs, they're still "living" but essentially lost to us. Maybe it will put someone else on the right path.