Geo Coins And Travel Bugs

ColoradoRubicon

Okay everyone, This is not what I really intended. Who knew so many of you actually would read my post. This really was a misunderstanding with myself and cent5. I was not making myself clear. Let me say I WOULD NEVER JUST TAKE SOMEONE'S COIN!!!!! I was being fecicous if that is spelled right. I don't think anyone should just take a coin without the owner agreeing.

What I did want to do was say that I would like to see coins treated more like a traded or "collected" item rather than them be used as a TB. It was just a thought.

Here is my thoughts on this clarified. In order for you to keep a coin, you should have coin to replace it. Yes it is trackable, as so many of you pointed out. So you will always know who has it. Maybe don't give it the two week time limit,so they can trade later. If someone wants to keep it, and has a trackable coin to trade with the owner, maybe the owner would let you keep the coin, and you would transfer ownership of yours to them, and maybe even give instruction for the coin to return to the new owner. In other words, you would trade coins through caching! If you take a coin from the cache, and don't have one to replace it, then simply move it to another cache. Make some coins available as rewards for FTF or for solving a difficult multi or puzzle cache.

For those of you who were rude, that really was not called for. I am a nice person, i just don't like being treated badly as some of you would not.

I love this stuff and would never jeapordize it, I would never steal a coin from a cache. I just wanted to open some dialog on how we could make coins more collectable, and share them.

Yes, as some of you mentioned, I do have a coin that I have had for about a month. I contacted that owner promptly and asked if I could hold it for a bit unitl I solved a hard cache I was working on. I told her that I would send it back on its way if it was a prob to hold it. She said no problem. It is already in a cache, I just put out a somewhat hard multi , which I am now waiting approval on. It will be worth getting this coin from The Rabbit Hole Cache! As well as I have put a prize in the final, and a prize or two in the primary stages for who finds it first. for those of you in the CO Springs area check out GCV1GR in a few days when it is approved.

Again that statement I made was not literal. So everyone please relax, and enjoy!

So please no more clever rude responses. I didn't mean to make anyone mad. I do appreciate those of you who questioned what I said, and was not rude. Please feel free to respond. I am sorry to those of you who did get rude, as I did not mean that literally.

I almost forgot, after emailing a little more with CENT5 it turned out he is very nice and even offered to send me some coins to get started. I really did apprecaite that and the fact that he continued to mail me so we could work this out. His Colorado coin is really nice! I hope you all will look forward to seeing it, when I put it back out.

Thanks CENT5!

Edited by MadOtter

Trackable coins are meant to be tracked, this is how they started, and I certainly hope it is how it stays.

Coins that are meant as FTF's or swag are meant as just that, and I hope that they are traded for fairly.

I think a lot of people tend to get real defensive when anyone, but especially someone so new comes in and tells them how to play the game and when it reads like we are all wrong, well, some unpleasant conversation is bound to happen. I'm sure it wasn't meant this way, but this doesn't encourage the welcome wagon towards newbies.

Off my soapbox.

The thing is Otter, no one personally attacked you. Comments were made strictly regarding your statement. Sure, some were sarcastic but they weren't personal. To call someone stupid or retarded was unwarranted and extreme. It's very possible to disagree with someone without getting personal. I think you owe a couple of people here an apology to say the least. That's just my opinion.

I am really not new to caching, only to the discussion board.

Again, let me say that I apologize for the what I said about taking the coins. I would never do that!!!! I think it would be cool to be able to trade coins through caching, let TB's be TB's. I am not telling anyone how to play, only making a suggestion. As for the Newbie's comment and telling the "been there and been doing that for long time" people how to play. That is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see some change. Just because you have been doing something since bible times does not make it the best way. My way may not be best either. It is just a SUGGESTION to make it better! That, I do not see anything wrong with.

ok, now I am off my soap box.

I hope that new posts will include dialog on how to enjoy trading and collecting coins rather than keep bashing me for something I have now address. Not that you bashed me, just want to lighten this up a bit.

Trackable coins are meant to be tracked, this is how they started, and I certainly hope it is how it stays.

Coins that are meant as FTF's or swag are meant as just that, and I hope that they are traded for fairly.

I think a lot of people tend to get real defensive when anyone, but especially someone so new comes in and tells them how to play the game and when it reads like we are all wrong, well, some unpleasant conversation is bound to happen. I'm sure it wasn't meant this way, but this doesn't encourage the welcome wagon towards newbies.

Off my soapbox.

28 caches found is new to me.

I agree about change, however if you've spent anytime on these boards you would know that there has been a long standing struggle to get coin travelling and trading to be a certain way, a way the masses feel is best for the game

No bashing going on here, if you think that's bashing then you're not going to like these boards very much. JM said it well, you got feedback, but it wasn't a personal attack.

Edited by Hula Bum

:huh: This one has been one to watch all afternoon.... Yup I must agree with JMBella the name calling was unnecessary and needless to say immature. Anyway, I don't want to stir up anything, but the person who started the thread could apologize, lock it and it will fall of the discussion board by tomorrow afternoon.

:huh:

It was locked a couple of hours ago, so I was actually surprised when it was back up again. I had already thrown my popcorn out. :huh:

What about an apology for the retard comment, I usually don't let these boards bother me at all, but that was and is completely uncalled for.

It shows an amazing lack of intelligence, maturity and just plain human decency, let us hope that you never have a child or grandchild a brother, or sister that would fit this category, maybe then you would understand just how terrible your comment is.

As they say, THAT is my .02 cents worth

What about an apology for the retard comment, I usually don't let these boards bother me at all, but that was and is completely uncalled for.

It shows an amazing lack of intelligence, maturity and just plain human decency, let us hope that you never have a child or grandchild a brother, or sister that would fit this category, maybe then you would understand just how terrible your comment is.

As they say, THAT is my .02 cents worth

I'm having trouble letting that one go too. If you're going to post on these boards and be opinionated that's fine. However, you'll have to grow thicker skin instead of resorting to personal attacks. Stick with the issues of the topic and don't make it personal. There's never an excuse for that.

I'm sorry, I read quickly and I saw the 'stupid' comment but missed the 'R' word one. That is uncalled for. That's a word I won't even use in my vocabulary. You have offended some people here and I hope you also take some time to think about the impact the words you used can have. I see you apologizing for what for you said about trackable coins, but nothing about the names you called people. If this thread continues to go on about the insults and off topic it will be closed. Mad Otter, if you want to know a coin's goal, look at the page. That is what the coin owner wants the coin to do. They are meant for tracking and certain people hold some back for trade or for sale. Perhaps you should wander through the pinned threads at the top of this forum and understand what geocoins are all about. There is more to a coin than what goes on with a travel bug. They have multiple uses. If you want to trade a coin for a coin you do so with the coin owner, we have a trading thread just for that. You don't do it by taking one from a cache, keeping it, and putting a different one in. If you do that you are stopping a traveller in its tracks.

MadOtter,

We think that Geocoins make great travel bugs, hitchhikers or what ever name you use for a item that travels from cache to cache.

They are small enough to fit in most caches and always a treat to find in the wild. I still remember finding my first USA geocoin back in the days when that was one of the only geocoins that existed. I must say my first thought was I was gonna keep it till I looked into it some more and saw that it was a activated travel bug on the GC website and had it's own mission. So we of course passed it on to another cache.

Don't take the above opinions personally. The coin forums are full of very opinionated people that can be very vicious towards anyone that has a different opinion of how coins should be treated. If you look through the fourms you will find countless heated discusions on coin prices, coin profits, who should be allowed to sell a state coin and on and on.

I certainly hope that you will not keep any activated trackable travel bug or geocoin that has a mission to travel. The owner of that coin paid/traded for it and is hoping it will work on it's mission.

Happy caching/collecting

Sunshinegang

Edited by SunshineGang

MadOtter,

We think that Geocoins make great travel bugs, hitchhikers or what ever name you use for a item that travels from cache to cache.

They are small enough to fit in most caches and always a treat to find in the wild. I still remember finding my first USA geocoin back in the days when that was one of the only geocoins that existed. I must say my first thought was I was gonna keep it till I looked into it some more and saw that it was a activated travel bug on the GC website and had it's own mission. So we of course passed it on to another cache.

Don't take the above opinions personally. The coin forums are full of very opinionated people that can be very vicious towards anyone that has a different opinion of how coins should be treated. If you look through the fourms you will find countless heated discusions on coin prices, coin profits, who should be allowed to sell a state coin and on and on.

I certainly hope that you will not keep any activated trackable travel bug or geocoin that has a mission to travel. The owner of that coin paid/traded for it and is hoping it will work on it's mission.

Happy caching/collecting

Sunshinegang

coin prices, coin profits, who should be allowed to sell a state coin and on and on?

Are we reading the same thread?

I think he should take it personally.

And it should be closed as the troll thread it was from the beginning.

Why am I responding? .... oh well, here it goes.....

A trackable item -- regardless of it's shape, tag, etc. Is a traveller.

The person placing it has an expectation that the item will move from cache to cache -- and I think this is a reasonable expectation. In fact, it's a part of this "game" we play.

Anyone taking such an item is simply stealing it. Imposition of your philosophy on others is rude. *you are welcome to do whatever you want with the items you purchase

If I tag one of my coins with a traveller tag (my geobones have a little ring to attach TB Tags) or if that number is minted onto the coin -- then they are also travellers.

The fact is -- you found a coin that is trackable and on a "mission" and you like it. You want to keep it. Go ahead and keep it! Just remember that you stole it. I'm sure if you found a TB tag on some item you liked then the subject should be "cool action figures should not be travel bugs"

I should say -- you are probably a very nice person and a great cacher -- just give this some thought.... it's a little coin that someone wants to go on a trip -- help it out man!

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Congratulations, MadOtter, you have now attracted the attention of three moderators. I wonder if that's some sort of record. :unsure::laughing:

Anyways, I am posting to let you know about a forum etiquette principle. The topic originator retains the right to close their own thread. But think of it as a one-time option, to use when you truly think that the thread has run its course and it's time to shut it down. It's not appropriate to close a thread, re-open it, close it again, etc., to suit the topic starter's mood or schedule. You have now locked your thread twice. I am re-opening it, and it will stay open. Do not lock it again. This is a discussion board; once you start a discussion it should continue until it's done, or until it runs so far astray from the rules that it can't continue and a moderator shuts it down.

And that leads me to my other point: do NOT reopen a locked thread after a moderator has closed it. That will earn you a warn meter notch and maybe a timeout from posting. (The OP did not do that, of course, but I mention this just to provide a complete summary of the etiquette when it comes to the "Close Topic" button.)

Congratulations, MadOtter, you have now attracted the attention of three moderators. I wonder if that's some sort of record. :unsure::laughing:

Anyways, I am posting to let you know about a forum etiquette principle. The topic originator retains the right to close their own thread. But think of it as a one-time option, to use when you truly think that the thread has run its course and it's time to shut it down. It's not appropriate to close a thread, re-open it, close it again, etc., to suit the topic starter's mood or schedule. You have now locked your thread twice. I am re-opening it, and it will stay open. Do not lock it again. This is a discussion board; once you start a discussion it should continue until it's done, or until it runs so far astray from the rules that it can't continue and a moderator shuts it down.

And that leads me to my other point: do NOT reopen a locked thread after a moderator has closed it. That will earn you a warn meter notch and maybe a timeout from posting. (The OP did not do that, of course, but I mention this just to provide a complete summary of the etiquette when it comes to the "Close Topic" button.)

I am choosing to close this topic becuase it has gone stray. You chosing to keep it open violates my right to close the post.

PLEASE STOP USING GOECOINS AS TRAVEL BUGS!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A TRAVEL BUG!!!!!

If the coins were meant to be collectibles, why would the creator of the coin pay the money to have it trackable? THINK ABOUT IT. And as with anything else, if you don't like what people are doing with their geocoins then leave them alone. I'm sure the next visitor to the cache would be more than happy to move it along.

Let's see, anything left to say?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nope!

Yes, there is one thing left for Otter to say. We're still wait for that apology for the offensive remarks. Usually I can let things go but I don't think I'm alone in saying that this is not something that any of us can let slide.

Most geocoins are trackable and as such should be allowed to travel from cache to cache much like travel bugs do. (just wanted to stay on topic) :(

Edited by JMBella

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nope!

Yes, there is one thing left for Otter to say. We're still wait for that apology for the offensive remarks. Usually I can let things go but I don't think I'm alone in saying that this is not something that any of us can let slide.

Most geocoins are trackable and as such should be allowed to travel from cache to cache much like travel bugs do. (just wanted to stay on topic) :(

I understand.

Do you think this person cares?

Why are you wasting your angst and effort on someone who probably doesn't even understand the impact of what they are saying? The irony is that he probably sleeps better at night then the rest of us.

You have better things to do than worrying about this joker.

edit: missing word

Edited by BlueDeuce

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nope!

I understand.

Do you think this person cares?

Why are you wasting your angst and effort on someone who probably doesn't even understand the impact of what they are saying? The irony is that he probably sleeps better at night then the rest of us.

You have better things to do than worrying about this joker.

edit: missing word

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you're right. I'll just have another scotch and stop worrying about it. :(

On a happier note we have one of your TB's JM!!!! We're holding it hostage! (just kidding). Just thought it was funny that kealia picked it up today and I just finished reading your post to him while he was logging the TB.

Hey, unhand my travel bug!! It's not a geocoin ya know, so don't use it like a rock. :( What? :(

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nope!

I personally don't care if he steals every coin and travel bug he sees, he has all ready shown his lack of maturity and ignorance, I too am waiting on an apology.

Come on, be a man, or a woman, just for a minute!

There will be no opportunity for an apology in this thread for the next few days. Please do not infer anything from silence. I ask instead that everyone focus on a polite discussion of the original topic, and refrain from personal attacks, including attacks against the OP.

Boys and girls, I'm one of the cachers MO insulted. I would like to thank you for your comments in behalf of the cachers that he chose to insult.

However, let's face it. he is not going to apologize for what he has said.

He seems to feel that he deserves to have his opinion, and no one else has any right to theirs, particularly if it does not agree with his. In short, he seems to think that he is "entitled" to say whatever he wants, and no one else is. If they do, then they are somehow inferior to him. I think his words were stupid, and retard.

And that's fine. I deal with people like him every day. I ignore them, and I'll ignore him.

To Eartha, FSM, and Keystone...thanks for your intervention/interest.

Shop99er

As I've been accused of re-opening the thread for the purpose of allowing harrassment of MadOtter, I do feel an extra obligation to moderate the thread fairly on all sides of the discussion. Once again, I wish to point out that MadOtter is not in a position to respond right now. He would not be able to apologize publicly even if moved to do so.

As I've been accused of re-opening the thread for the purpose of allowing harrassment of MadOtter, I do feel an extra obligation to moderate the thread fairly on all sides of the discussion. Once again, I wish to point out that MadOtter is not in a position to respond right now. He would not be able to apologize publicly even if moved to do so.

Meaning ... his posting privileges have been temporarily suspended? A bit of a timeout?

My original Post:

I have 3 geocoins moving around Colorado now. :( - All with directions to move and share the coin with others. Move it around, give people the chance to log it from a cache rather than an event "grab" (I am ok with event grabs too).

Based on your comments, I hope that none of my geocoins wind up in your hands (I sent them out to move). If they do, please return them to me. I'll even pay for shipping :(

Later in the thread:

Okay everyone, This is not what I really intended. Who knew so many of you actually would read my post. This really was a misunderstanding with myself and cent5. I was not making myself clear. Let me say I WOULD NEVER JUST TAKE SOMEONE'S COIN!!!!! I was being fecicous if that is spelled right. I don't think anyone should just take a coin without the owner agreeing.......

Based on your comments and clarification, I retract my previous comment. It appears we are on the same page now.

Meaning ... his posting privileges have been temporarily suspended? A bit of a timeout?

Meaning Keystone locked him in the basement and chained him to the wall where hamsters are now chewing his lower extremities. :unsure:

...For those of you who were rude, that really was not called for. I am a nice person, i just don't like being treated badly as some of you would not....

Sure it was. I re-read your original post. You started out by being about as rude as the posts that followed. Yeah we had a little fun at your expense, but then we did read your post, we did think about it and we did answer. If not quite as you intended that's probably because you didn't say what you intended either.

At this point I'm utterly confuddled about what this thread is about so I guess that's that.

Fun thread!

It's just someone that doesn't understand what "Trackable" means. The site is pretty clear on this and I suspect the person is trying to find a loophole which allows them to keep/steal coins for themselves. They are offering the "opinion" that tracking the person holding the coin is fun for the owner (or has value).

I suppose that this is for the owner to decide, and further suspect that folks releasing trackable coins would prefer to see them travel.

Anyhow, the OP will likely start-up with "possession is 9/10ths if the law" and "once you release it, you no longer are the owner" .... the usual stuff.

It's the same mentality that has a sense of self-entitlement and seeks to move rules and guindelines to suit their own personal objectives -- in this case: greed.

Trackable items are Travel Bugs. It's just that simple.

It's fine to want to change things but don't take it personally when nobody agrees with you.

Here's my take on travelling geocoins. The person who purchases the trackable geocoin and activates it is the person who decides if the coin should move from cache to cache or not. I totally understand that the OP thinks its cool to be able to collect geocoins via swapping at geocaches. I think it's cool too. That's how my sigitem collection got started so I totally understand. However, if the owner of a geocoin wants it to move, then move it should. I think the OP understands this now as well.

The real difficult thing to do while at a cache is to determine if a geocoin is a traveller (i.e. it has been activated and is meant to travel) or if it is a trade item (ftf prize, etc.). The best way to do this is to pull up the travelbug page at the cache site. However, not everyone has this capability. That's why it is important to label travelling geocoins so that people know that they are meant to travel and not to be kept. It would be kind of a bummer of you swapped for a geocoin that you thought was unactivated only to find that it was activated and you are out the geocoin you left as a trade.

--Marky

It's fine to want to change things but don't take it personally when nobody agrees with you.

Here's my take on travelling geocoins. The person who purchases the trackable geocoin and activates it is the person who decides if the coin should move from cache to cache or not. I totally understand that the OP thinks its cool to be able to collect geocoins via swapping at geocaches. I think it's cool too. That's how my sigitem collection got started so I totally understand. However, if the owner of a geocoin wants it to move, then move it should. I think the OP understands this now as well.

The real difficult thing to do while at a cache is to determine if a geocoin is a traveller (i.e. it has been activated and is meant to travel) or if it is a trade item (ftf prize, etc.). The best way to do this is to pull up the travelbug page at the cache site. However, not everyone has this capability. That's why it is important to label travelling geocoins so that people know that they are meant to travel and not to be kept. It would be kind of a bummer of you swapped for a geocoin that you thought was unactivated only to find that it was activated and you are out the geocoin you left as a trade.

--Marky

I agree. My only thought to add is that: when in doubt, assume that coins with the "Trackable at...." are intended to travel.

WOW!!! This is the first "heated" discussion we have watched! Fun topic!

We collect AND send coins out into the wild. We just got one back from Iraq. (Thanks Krusty & Phoebus!)

As far as tracking/ traveling/ keeping is concerned, we have always gone with the idea that if we find it IN a cache, and it has a tracking number, let it travel, which is what the owner wants! We have found a coin in a cache, and the owner told us we could keep it if we wanted, but we thought that wouldn't be right, so we placed it in another cache, put it on our "watch" list, and have greatly enjoyed it's travels ever since.(Thanks Greatful Mike & Navibear)

We will climb down off our soap box now. :lol:

I have found a couple of geocoins. Both had somewhere they were trying to go. One in particular upsets me. It is a nice Colorado Geocoin started in the great state of Washington. It's goal is to get to Ireland. This is a travel bug deal, not a geocoin deal. Geocoins should be used for collecting. Put it in your favorite cache, if someone pics it up and has a trackable geocoin of their own, then they can replace the coin and keep yours. Hence they are able to collect coins. If you find a geocoin and do not have one to replace it with, you may take it and put it in your favorite cache, but you cannot keep it!

PLEASE STOP USING GOECOINS AS TRAVEL BUGS!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A TRAVEL BUG!!!!!

Please feel free to beat me up on this, but I hate to see coins used as travel bugs!!

If you want to collect geocoins, get with the program buy a few and trade for a few more. If the owner wants to release a geocoin as a TB with a goal and track their progress let them Thats what "trackable" means. I certainly would be concerned if one of my TBs (geocoins or other), when there are cachers out there that would just keep a Geocoin just because.

doublestuff

Edited by doublestuff

Please help me understand this. ;) Was the original statement that coins should not be used as travel bugs? If history is our teacher...........Wasn't the first travel bug a geocoin? (Moun10bike Version 1) :(

Can someone confirm this for me?

Thanks.

Are they? Yes, and it's a great idea.

Should they? Well, you have to consider what can happen to them. I would love to hear ideasa on how to keep them traveling.

As for the OP's post? Who cares? Troll.

myself and my "better half" have been buying two coins one for release and one for our personal collection. We are not geocoinholics but we like the idea of something that is limited being released for people too enjoy! i don't care if people treat them as bugs, i get irate at the cacher's that steal them.

im his 'better half' lol and its been an interesting read down the forum. i think the original poster now understands the concept behind geocoins.

i never even considered finding one and swapping it for one as i have always treated them as trackables, thats not to say its a bad idea and may be worth putting an unactivated one out with the objective of receiving another one in return (though exactly how that swapped coin would get to me im not sure - would i have to go to that cache again or would it be sent over...?)but i get more fun out of seeing mine move and in partiuclar pictures of where its been. thats why they have mission pages - you can then do as the owners request.

as ZR7 says its more annoying when you coins go missing, its happened to mine once and i was lucky enough to get it back