Geo Coins And Travel Bugs

ColoradoRubicon

I have found a couple of geocoins. Both had somewhere they were trying to go. One in particular upsets me. It is a nice Colorado Geocoin started in the great state of Washington. It's goal is to get to Ireland. This is a travel bug deal, not a geocoin deal. Geocoins should be used for collecting. Put it in your favorite cache, if someone pics it up and has a trackable geocoin of their own, then they can replace the coin and keep yours. Hence they are able to collect coins. If you find a geocoin and do not have one to replace it with, you may take it and put it in your favorite cache, but you cannot keep it!

PLEASE STOP USING GOECOINS AS TRAVEL BUGS!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A TRAVEL BUG!!!!!

Please feel free to beat me up on this, but I hate to see coins used as travel bugs!!

I'm tired of stuff too!

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS CROUTONS!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A CROUTON!!!!!

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS VCR REMOTES!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A VCR REMOTE!!!!!

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS RINGBONES!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A RIGNBONE!!!!!

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS THE LETTER S!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS THE LETTER S!!!!!

thanks,

Jamie

I have found a couple of geocoins. Both had somewhere they were trying to go. One in particular upsets me. It is a nice Colorado Geocoin started in the great state of Washington. It's goal is to get to Ireland. This is a travel bug deal, not a geocoin deal. Geocoins should be used for collecting. Put it in your favorite cache, if someone pics it up and has a trackable geocoin of their own, then they can replace the coin and keep yours. Hence they are able to collect coins. If you find a geocoin and do not have one to replace it with, you may take it and put it in your favorite cache, but you cannot keep it!

PLEASE STOP USING GOECOINS AS TRAVEL BUGS!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A TRAVEL BUG!!!!!

Please feel free to beat me up on this, but I hate to see coins used as travel bugs!!

I guess I don't understand...coin producers paid for tracking numbers so the coins could be tracked like a travel bug. The coins are one the "Trackables" tab, not a "Collectables" tab at geocaching.com. If the person who paid for a trackable coin (the OWNER of the coin) chose to activate the coin and drop it into a cache with a mission, then they intended THEIR coin to move as a traveler, NOT end up in a collection.

Here's how I've dropped some of the coins I bought in caches:

1. Brand new, unactivated. Specifically stated as FTF or STF prizes. The finder doesn't have to trade and may do what they want with the coin.

2. Brand new, unactivated, dropped into a cool cache as swag. The finder should trade even or trade up and may do what they wish with the coin.

3. Activated with a goal. These coins are meant to be travelers , should be treated as travel bugs, and moved from cache to cache.

4. Activated with a goal of move on or keep. These coins may be kept by the finder or moved to another cache at the finder's descretion (I've seen this done with some personal coins).

How would you feel if you and your little guy released a travelbug with a goal and another youngster decided they liked the object and kept it?

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Where is has it ever been said that TRACKABLE geocoins should NOT be used as TBs? That was the entire point of them being TRACKABLE.

I agree. What is the point of paying for tracking if it'll never travel? (Well, okay, have the potential to travel. :) ) I'll probably buy very few TBs now because I'd rather buy a cheap geocoin and send it travelling; it's around the same price in Canada and is something different. Geocoins also have a mission entry on the webpage so GC obviously expects them to travel too.

Maybe this was posted tongue in cheek, but the attitude seems completely opposite to the usual complaint that people are taking geocoins from caches and keeping them instead of letting them travel for others to find.

Edited by islander1988

Since you're new allow me to clarify a few things for you.

Hitchhikers are objects meant to be moved from one cache to another, they are usually not trackable, but do have a tag of sorts attached with their goal.

Travelbugs are Groundspeak dogtags, they are typically attached to hitchhikers to allow tracking as they move from cache to cache.

Geocoins are tokens related to geocaching. Some Geocoins have tracking numbers, some do not. Generally, the rule is that those without tracking numbers can be traded and collected. Those Geocoins that have added tracking numbers (at considerable expense), fall into 2 categories, activated and unactivated.

Unactivated coins can be traded and kept (or released depending on the finders mood).

Activated coins should be treated as any other trackable item (follow the goal on the coins page). If that goal permits you to keep it, then go ahead.

These guidelines are widely accepted throughout the geocaching community. To keep an activated coin against it's stated goal would be looked on as a bad thing, and you'd likely be tarred and feathered for it.

HUH? I had to read this twice to figure out what you are saying. Geocoins aren't supposed to be used for traveling, if you find one you want to keep it? What a load of crap. I stopped buying travel bugs because they seem to disappear into someone's pocket. At least all of the geocoins I have released are moving even if six of them are traveling with one person. Would it be ok if I took your travel bug and kept it? Probably not, I imagine that I would receive everything short of death threats so don't keep my geocoin as it is traveling and your keeping it is essentially keeping something that isn't yours which I believe personally is one step short of stealing.

But I do appreciate your first post being one that attacks the geocoin collectors. If you are upset that you aren't able to keep the coins you found might I suggest you buy a couple if you want them for a collection or heck I will just buy you a couple.

Even a bad joke deserves an honest reply, right ?

If you check your geocaching.com profile you can see that Travel Bugs and Geocoins are both listed as trackables. A trackable item is one that is designed to be tracked using the services of geocaching.com. People like to track items, it can be a fun addition to the geocaching experience. Any item can be tracked, geocaching.com makes ands sells a tag called a Travel Bug tag that has a tracking code. This TB tag can be attached to any item allowing that item to be tracked. You can provide your own tag and buy a special Groundspeak tracking code to put on the tag, this is a Geocoin rather than a Travel Bug, they are both types of trackables.

Trackables can have any shape or any icon and are denoted by a custom 25 character code. Any item that has a special tracking code is trackable! The difference between a TB and a Geocoin is more than semantics though. Travel Bugs will be logged and tracked using the Groundspeak assigned icons, Geocoins also have their own default icons but they can be customized for an additional charge.

People have placed payphones, bricks and manhole covers into the game as trackables, the manhole cover was I believe created using a geocoin tracking code, I can see that, it's round. :)

You are bound to see some odd trackables. Geocaching and trackables can be a lot of fun. The variations on this activity are astonishing and endless. Every day brings new adventures. Have fun tracking your own trackables. You get a special web page when you buy any trackable number from Groundspeak, once the tracking number is activated you can name your trackable item, set a mission for your trackable item and hopefully, other geocachers will help you with the mission you have chosen.

Edited by wavector

...Please feel free to beat me up on this, but I hate to see coins used as travel bugs!!

We could always stone you with the coins. They aren't as big as rocks but given a few thousand smacks I think we could have enough bruises on you to where you feel sufficiently beat up.

As for your question you got some good answers.

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS ROCKS!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A ROCK!!!!!

Edited by JMBella

I have 3 geocoins moving around Colorado now. :) - All with directions to move and share the coin with others. Move it around, give people the chance to log it from a cache rather than an event "grab" (I am ok with event grabs too).

I have plenty of geocoins that I am hanging on to for now. Maybe I'll drop them in caches later......

I hope you aren't serious about keeping any coin with a goal to move on it. That's not right. :)

Based on your comments, I hope that none of my geocoins wind up in your hands (I sent them out to move). If they do, please return them to me. I'll even pay for shipping :)

Edited for content

Edited by Team Laxson

The coin refered to belongs to me. What MadOtter posted was the log for the coin. I sent the following response.

One thought on coins, coins should be used for collecting.

My thought on coins. If everyone merely collected the coins a unique piece of the game would be gone. Moun10Bike, who started the coin stuff was pretty clear that coins were meant to go into caches. While his coins are also collected with his permission (As evidenced on each M10B coin page.) they are 1st and foremost meant to be placed in caches and to be shared with others. I am fortunate to have been given a V2 & V3 M10B coin and 2005 Christmas Coinament by M10B himself. He is a fine and generous man

Now you must admit, finding this coin was a bit of a kick. Moreso than a TB. I have over 35 (Did a quick count) coins out and about. It's true that many have been disappeared despite my wishes to the contrary. However many are still traveling and I think they are a unique part of the game.

Personally I think trackable coins are meant to do whatever the owner chooses for them. They are rare in the wild making them sought after and providing another opportunity for cachers to enjoy the game. If they were merely for collecting then why the trackability? Get the icon? To some that may be desirable, I don't get it but, to each his own.

I appreciate your thoughts and willingness to move this coin along and share with others as I intended when I put the coin out. I have changed the goal of this coin to move back toward Seattle rather than head off to Ireland as originally planned. Shannon is moving out of the area at the end of summer and I hope to be able to retrieve the coin with her before that. I had though about coming to Colorado to get it myself as My sister lives in Littleton and I fly to DEN to visit a few times a year. But my schedule is booked solid for awhile and thats not going to happen soon

Glad you enjoyed finding the coin.

I must admit, out of an uncountable number of logs on my coins, this is the first time I ever got dissed for dropping a coin in a cache. sheeeesh

Edited by CENT5

Ah my young padawan...your inexperience has caused a great disturbance in the force! Be mindful of your thoughts. Anger leads to the dark side... :)

...Please feel free to beat me up on this, but I hate to see coins used as travel bugs!!

We could always stone you with the coins. They aren't as big as rocks but given a few thousand smacks I think we could have enough bruises on you to where you feel sufficiently beat up.

As for your question you got some good answers.

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS ROCKS!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A ROCK!!!!!

This post actually made tears come out of my eyes I was laughing so hard...thanks for the laugh!

Since the coins are not yours, what does it matter to you if they are used as TB's? If the owner wants the coin to travel, then it is incumbent upon you to keep it travelling, just like a TB. Not hang onto it, like you are evidently doing with the USA Coin "For Poppy's Purse". I notice that you've had it for a month now.

If you are adamant about not using coins for TB's, then leave them in the cache. Just pretend you never saw it.

Remember, they belong to someone else. NOT YOU. Keeping something that isn't yours is not the way a Non-commissioned Officer in the US Military is supposed to act. At least, not when I was one.

<Content removed by moderator>

I'm tired of stuff too!

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS CROUTONS!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A CROUTON!!!!!

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS VCR REMOTES!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A VCR REMOTE!!!!!

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS RINGBONES!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A RIGNBONE!!!!!

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS THE LETTER S!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS THE LETTER S!!!!!

thanks,

Jamie

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

As for Poppy's purse I contacted the owner, and let them know that I had plans for it. The owner agreed as is fine with it.

As for the NCO comment. That has nothing to do with this. Oh, yea I forgot, being a good NCO means not thinking or having you own opinion right. <Content removed by moderator>

Since the coins are not yours, what does it matter to you if they are used as TB's? If the owner wants the coin to travel, then it is incumbent upon you to keep it travelling, just like a TB. Not hang onto it, like you are evidently doing with the USA Coin "For Poppy's Purse". I notice that you've had it for a month now.

If you are adamant about not using coins for TB's, then leave them in the cache. Just pretend you never saw it.

Remember, they belong to someone else. NOT YOU. Keeping something that isn't yours is not the way a Non-commissioned Officer in the US Military is supposed to act. At least, not when I was one.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS Jamie!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A Jamie!!!!!

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS Jamie!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS A Jamie!!!!!

PLEASE STOP USING GEOCOINS AS THE Jamie!!!!!!! I THINK I WILL KEEP THE NEXT ONE I FIND THAT IS BEING USED AS THE Jamie!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

your so smart Jamie!

I'm tired of stuff too!

thanks,

Jamie

Let's please keep this thread civilized and respect one another.

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Geocoins are trackables, they are under the same banner as travel bugs. They are meant to travel and yet they can do so many things. You are not supposed to keep one unless the owner says it's ok to do so. Many people do keep them and don't log them and take them for themselves and this is wrong, but since many people do not read the forums they do not know the angst this can cause. Since we all know better, let's discuss how we can get this word out to the masses that do not read the forums.

When you drop a coin, or a travel bug, it's very helpful if you mention in your log what the goal for this coin/bug is, so if somone reads the logs, but does not see the bug/coin page they may have an inkling when they find it where it wants to go.

Now, this is a good thing to discuss, let's do so politely. This is not a sock puppet, Captain Clorox has spoken. Get back on track or leave it alone.

I would just like to say I really appreciated your post! That is the kind of dialog I hoped for instead of the smart clever comments people like to post to make themself feel better. I would have never taken the coin, I would not like it if someone took my travel bug. I do see your point, and I do appreciate it. I wish other could be more like you.

I guess I don't understand...coin producers paid for tracking numbers so the coins could be tracked like a travel bug. The coins are one the "Trackables" tab, not a "Collectables" tab at geocaching.com. If the person who paid for a trackable coin (the OWNER of the coin) chose to activate the coin and drop it into a cache with a mission, then they intended THEIR coin to move as a traveler, NOT end up in a collection.

Here's how I've dropped some of the coins I bought in caches:

1. Brand new, unactivated. Specifically stated as FTF or STF prizes. The finder doesn't have to trade and may do what they want with the coin.

2. Brand new, unactivated, dropped into a cool cache as swag. The finder should trade even or trade up and may do what they wish with the coin.

3. Activated with a goal. These coins are meant to be travelers , should be treated as travel bugs, and moved from cache to cache.

4. Activated with a goal of move on or keep. These coins may be kept by the finder or moved to another cache at the finder's descretion (I've seen this done with some personal coins).

How would you feel if you and your little guy released a travelbug with a goal and another youngster decided they liked the object and kept it?

Maybe we can all try and calm down abit and not be so personal, lets try and avoid FSM (for those new to the forum: FSM is Flying Spaghetti Monster - one of the moderators) having to poke his noodly appendage in here. (nothing against Eartha, that noodly appendage is just scarier :))

I do understand the desire of cachers to collect geocoins, that is one of the reasons our personal coin will NOT be trackable (or sold so you don't have to edit this FSM.) It will be a signature item.

The way I collect geocoins in the wild is to scan or take a picture of them (I also do that with TBs) and 'collect' them on my computer, in addition to the online collection.

My 'real' collection of them are ones that I have purchased or traded for or recieved as a gift.

So, again my question is, what is wrong with trackable goecoins being used like TBs? it is a a self contained TB. Not really any different than me attaching a TB tag to a keyring with a mission, except that it doesn't require the tag. Is it because it is unique and desirable? is it more desirable than an object (maybe something like a beanie baby that you are missing from your collection? or something else you collect) attached to a TB tag?

edit: I guess I took too long writing... Eartha got here before FSM.

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

<Swooping in sound>

Dun-dun-dun!!!!

Oh wait, Eartha's been here...

As a TB and traveling coin owner myself, I would be very alarmed to hear this from somebody who had picked up my coins.

Sounds like the OP may have had a change of heart or come to a better understanding about what trackbale coins are intended to do.

Our work here is done.

<Swooping out sound>

Let's please keep this thread civilized and respect one another.

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Geocoins are trackables, they are under the same banner as travel bugs. They are meant to travel and yet they can do so many things. You are not supposed to keep one unless the owner says it's ok to do so. Many people do keep them and don't log them and take them for themselves and this is wrong, but since many people do not read the forums they do not know the angst this can cause. Since we all know better, let's discuss how we can get this word out to the masses that do not read the forums.

When you drop a coin, or a travel bug, it's very helpful if you mention in your log what the goal for this coin/bug is, so if somone reads the logs, but does not see the bug/coin page they may have an inkling when they find it where it wants to go.

Now, this is a good thing to discuss, let's do so politely. This is not a sock puppet, Captain Clorox has spoken. Get back on track or leave it alone.

I'd like to think that personal attacks wouldn't be tolerated but his posts calling Jamie stupid and sho99er a retard (which is offensive on multiple levels) is still sitting there and he's still posting. He's got to go. And this topic is usless too.

I'd like to think that personal attacks wouldn't be tolerated but his posts calling Jamie stupid and sho99er a retard (which is offensive on multiple levels) is still sitting there and he's still posting. He's got to go. And this topic is usless too.

Ditto :huh:

I agree, unacceptable to be calling anyone a "retard", I find it very offensive. What do we need to do to wrap him in spaghetti

Offensive content has been removed.

The thread will not be locked as it has it's merits and the OP has said that he changed his mind.

I'll be watching the thread to make sure it stays respectful. The OP can lock it himself if he chooses.

Thanks, I will send you some of the wife's homemade spaghetti sauce :huh:

Edited by prntr1

Glad to see that you may change your mind about such statement(s).

Also noticing your location, if I can help personally in clarifying any questions you may have about trackable geocoins, please don't hesitate to contact me through my profile email.

Edited by MrCOgeo

Offensive content has been removed.

The thread will not be locked as it has it's merits and the OP has said that he changed his mind.

I'll be watching the thread to make sure it stays respectful. The OP can lock it himself if he chooses.

Thank you, Flying Monster of Spaghetti.