Awesome Ftf Prize ?

I bought several of those at Christmas from Walmart. They were under five dollars and VERY cool. My son and a few of his friends were quite impressed by them. I don't know how big the one you're hiding is, but the ones I bought at Walmart were only about 4" in diameter. They are still cool for the price, though.

Edited to make it sound less creepy.

Edited by cache n burn

That's very cool, HB. My granddaughter would go ballistic if she found one of those. (What the heck are they called, anyway?)

They're typically called a plasma ball. Though, I bet you could find other variations on the name like a plasma globe or plasma sphere.

Yup. Plasma Ball/Globe/Sphere... I've also seen flat shaped ones, and even twisted squarish ones, and dolphin shaped ones...

They're kinda like a neon tube with no sense of direction :laughing:

They are filled with various inert gasses, such as neon, argon, helium, etc. at low pressure.

The exectricity ionizes the gas, turning it into a plasma. Plasma is the "fourth" state of matter... Solid, Liquid, Gas, Plasma.

Plasma is when most of the electrons get ripped off of the atoms, creating a mass of free electrons and atomic nuclei. The free electrons make it electrically conductive. Plasma is the most common state of matter in the universe. The stars consist of plasma. On earth however it is fairly rare. Examples of earthly plasma include fire, neon signs... and really cool looking plasma lamps!

I have three of these. One sits on my desk at work and distracts annoying people that come by asking me to do things. One will be in a cache soon. The other? I don't know yet...

Oh, They run on batteries, but I'm going to include an ac adapter too.

I'm also planning to place NiMH AA bateries and chargers in a couple of caches soon.

:unsure:

cache on!

I'd really love to find one of those plasma balls in a cache! As a matter of fact I think I'll go mall-caching today and try and find one.

I wish I's been FTF on Brian's cache. (Do you know how hard it is to find pants that "really fit comfortably" up here?

I have several small round Lock'n'Lock's that I would like to spread around along with a hard-drive magnet for each one. I was thinking I could put the magnet inside the Lock'n'Lock and stick it on the inside of the cache (which I guess would probably have to be an ammo can). I'm a bit concerned that otherwise the magnet might attract every other piece of metal in the cache... they're STRONG! Has anyone found a magnet in a cache that they thought was left inside the cache properly?... Don't mean to hijack the thread.

If I found a tiny Lava Lamp I'd love that too.

That's a new one on me. MEFF? Most Excellent First Finder? Massive Ego First Finder?

Most Esteemed First Finder.

I saw this first down around Jax. After GWIII, I'm sure it spread to other parts of the country.

Most of the time I've seen it written simply as "MEFF!!!" or some varient. I like it better than the bland "FTF." You can pronounce "meff." Try pronouncing "ftf" and you sound like Bill the Cat.

Edited by CoyoteRed

I challEnge you to up the antE on swag! <edit for space saving and speeling :( >

I do a lot of FTF hunts (it seems to be almost a "specialty" for me these days). The competition for FTFs is sometimes pretty stiff. I worry that routinely "upping the ante" might make the competition even worse, perhaps even "cut-throat". I'm not sure that is good for the game.

It would really be cool to "up the ante" for the life of the cache, not just for the FTF.

The problem is, how do we do that?

I seldom trade anymore just because I got tired of shopping for and carrying around worthless junk to trade for the worthless junk in caches.

When I do see something of more than miniscule value that catches my interest, I am seldom prepared to trade for it.

If it were to become a trend to find things of modest or moderate value in caches, I would probably prepare a little better and perhaps trade some cool stuff.

So how do we get the trend to better swag going? Perhaps it should start with me?

Would many experienced cachers unilaterally trade "way up" in swag just to get it going? Are some already doing this?

Edited by Confucius' Cat

It would really be cool to "up the ante" for the life of the cache, not just for the FTF.

Would many experienced cachers unilaterally trade "way up" in swag just to get it going? Are some already doing this?

Lately, I don't take anything from caches, because they're mostly loaded up with crap. But I will always put something in; in my case, my signature item. It is always my goal to leave a cache better off than how I found it. Pay it forward, I say!

My goal in hiding new caches is to make the hide as difficult as possible, and make the FTF prize as valuable as possible. I really do want to see a mad dash to find my new caches, but only by those who are willing to pay the price to get the prize.

I've only been caching for a year now and have yet to place my first cache (cuz I want it to be perfect and something worth finding and someplace worth going to and I'm too much of a perfectionist and this sentence is going on to long) anyway, I don't understand the whole FTF prize. From what I've seen there are those that play the game by wanting to be the FTF on every cache in the area and that is fine with me. What I don't understand is why is it expected for the hider to leave them something special in the cache for the FTF.

Since I don't play the FTF game I don't see why should leave something different for them?

{I now return you to your regularly schedule program.}

I challEnge you to up the antE on swag! <edit for space saving and speeling :lol: >

I do a lot of FTF hunts (it seems to be almost a "specialty" for me these days). The competition for FTFs is sometimes pretty stiff. I worry that routinely "upping the ante" might make the competition even worse, perhaps even "cut-throat". I'm not sure that is good for the game.

I seldom trade anymore just because I got tired of shopping for and carrying around worthless junk to trade for the worthless junk in caches.

When I do see something of more than miniscule value that catches my interest, I am seldom prepared to trade for it.

If it were to become a trend to find things of modest or moderate value in caches, I would probably prepare a little better and perhaps trade some cool stuff.

So how do we get the trend to better swag going? Perhaps it should start with me?

BAM!

That's exactly what I'm getting at! I usually trade up. It starts with YOU!

That's a new one on me. MEFF? Most Excellent First Finder? Massive Ego First Finder?

Most Esteemed First Finder.

I saw this first down around Jax. After GWIII, I'm sure it spread to other parts of the country.

Most of the time I've seen it written simply as "MEFF!!!" or some varient. I like it better than the bland "FTF." You can pronounce "meff." Try pronouncing "ftf" and you sound like Bill the Cat.

That's pretty cool. I think I'll start using that.