Best Excuse For The Question: "what Are You Doing?"

50Cal

Depends who's asking. If it's police / security it has to be the truth. Otherwise I've had fun with these:

To group of old ladies - I'm testing the air for radiation

To group of hooded teenagers - I'm conducting a survey of tree snails

To lone teen boy (who genuinely caught me unawares) - If I tell you I'll have to kill you - now scoot!

Well, Once I was doing a cache in a popular park. I found the cache and it was a huge wooden block. This lady asked where we got it and I said in the water. The cache was 100% dry and obvious. She bought it though. I'm surprised I pulled it off!

My husband I were poking into a bush on a busy street - no big deal, the cars were moving fast enough that we didn't attract notice. But then a jogger came into view...so I started patting my legs and calling a pet's name..."Here Snickers! C'mon girl!!" Hopefully we looked more like pet owners than whackjobs staring into a bush. :D

Usually we just explain the sport - we've been lucky to actually find the caches when approached by security. Would be a bit stressful to get a DNF just then...!! :(

Why do we need excuses? Is geocaching illegal? Guess it depends on whats in the cache, but most often, the answer is no. Is Geocaching the start of some secret society? As long as people (wtf is a muggle? sorry, i'm a adult, not into Harry Potter) don't see you take the cache out, or put it back, why do we need to hide anything? I've read logs of non-geocachers who have found the cache, have exchanged stuff and placed it back. Some have probably come up missing after people finding it, but that could happen regardless if the secret of the geocaching society is out or not. Hiding your GPS from people you meet or saying its a phone? What is wrong with you people? I just started geocaching a few weeks ago, and think its a awesome game. I love it, but it's a game, stop taking this, and everything else so seriously. I was looking for a cache yesterday in a rather large park, a guy and his kids came up the trail, the kids went past me, the guy looks at my GPS and asks me if I'm getting a good signal on it (I was standing a few feet off the trail with my gps infront of me, trying to figure out where to go next) I replied "yeah, theres a cache around here somewhere and I'm going to find it." (I was no where close to it) He laughed a bit at the way I said it, and continued on his way catching up with his kids. Theres some funny excuses, but why do we need them?

Wow, unbelievable...but what can be expected from someone who's email addy (according to your profile) includes the term "bubble farts"? In reference to a subsequent post of yours, "Non-geocacher" is not a "label", it is simply a term to differentiate between those that geocache and those that don't. BTW, there might be medication available for whatever your mental health issues might be, but if it's a personality disorder you're SOL. Good luck with that....

LOL that guy totally misses the point of the whole game. It is supposed to be FUN! The secrecy I think is part of the fun! I have a good time trying to cloak what I am doing and coming up with good excuses for what I am doing. I do not see how it is "taken too seriously". I think the secrecy helps cause you never know what the person around you is going to do. They might be cool and play along, or they might be an a** and steal a cache just to mess with people. So what is wrong with having a little fun?

I haven't been asked, but I've only done geocaching out in the woods. When muggles start staring at me too intently when I have the gps out, I just open my compass I have around my neck and exchange looks between the compass and gps. Works every time, people suddenly get disinterested.

I probably look like a hiker looking for the right direction, and its grand :unsure:

I have no idea what I'll do when I start urban caching. Probably take along family and dogs as muggle distractions.

Whenever you are out geocaching and you run into another person(s), what do you say when they ask you what your looking for or what you're doing? Anyone know some good answers?

I had a slight "problem" the other day when looking for a cache that ended up being in the lamp skirt. The security person for the nearby bowling alley asked, "Is there something wrong with that lamp?" I had a dumbfounded look on my face and he asked again. He then volunteered, "You're doing that secret messaging game, aren't you?"

That was a close call. At an event, I was speaking with a guy visiting the area from Florida. He told me that he goes through a big process to make him look less obvious. He said that he had a magnetic name and logo signs made for the side of his truck and he wears an orange vest and a hard hat... Something about a "Geocache Locating Service." I like this idea, but seems like a large expense for this poor cacher.

I got caught red friggin' handed- I mean ammo can out of the hiding spot, top open, contents on the ground next to it, me signing the log when I hear "Excuse me sir..." D'oh!!! This guy came out of nowhere, I was absolutely positive I was alone before I grabbed the cache. What made things even more awkward was the guy had a really heavy accent, so I could barely understand what he was saying, so I kept asking Huh? and Whats that? the whole time while Im trying to give him the whole geocaching spiel (as Im nervously shoving everything back into the ammo can). I showed him the cache web page I had printed out and everything. He, of course, had never heard of it, and probably thought I was some kind of lunatic. Turns out he was just trying to warn me of a dead tree that was leaning against another overhead where I was. I felt so stupid.

Whenever you are out geocaching and you run into another person(s), what do you say when they ask you what your looking for or what you're doing? Anyone know some good answers?

Well I haven't been asked yet but a couple of times when people have walked by I randomly ask my 3 year old - where did you throw that ball? Over here? Which ball was it? The poor kid looks at me strangely and actually comes up answers. Meanwhile he thinks mama has lost it... I am sure!! LOL - I did explain later that we have to kept the treasure a secret so we can pretend to be looking for something. I can't wait til he is older "Mom remember when..." hee hee

My kids and my dog provide the best cover!!! Nobody pays attention!

Officer, I am trying to find a place to bury this shovel.

We had someone see us coming out of the woods with our kids and a shovel in hand (we had just buried a cache). The guy later asked what were we doing and we told him we had to bury a hampster. I also say I lost something and am looking for it.

one place we about go back home ... my brother drove and i yell very high picth because i spot geocacher look for something and wolveslover ask them are you geocacher and he say no as he shake his head and i told him i am deafhunt and my brother said wolveslover and he said yes im am yes... so my brother help them find place where they need help . it freak small hole and it fit my brother hand and unknow geocacher put too deep and my brother help them.... it very funny .... lol

muggle:what are you doing?

you: ooo nice body u got there... that a nice fresh flesh u got....

i think that should work hahahaha or maybe it on ur own risk

muggle:what are u doing

you: oh im just u know um........ im looking for my girlfriend fingers ok so get lost if u dont know how i draw u a map

Edited by Wolveslover

kid muggle: what are u doing?

you: do u really reallly wanna know?

kid muggle: yea

you: hold on... ( you get on the phone if dont have use gps) say little loud not too loud.... this person looks like a killer that kill a woman....

kid muggle: no i did not or what i did not

you: then why u ask me what are u doing.... looks like u a killer do u want me to call FBI?

I was at a historic, yet locked up site and the people that work in the building across the parking lot wanted to know what I was doing. They were a tad hostile, as I was looking in bushes for a cammo cache. I told them I'd tripped there a few days ago and lost an earring (my grandmother's diamond) and was trying to find it. Could they let me know if it turned up? I had the sense that the whole geocaching thing would not have gone over very well.

:grin: We were looking for a cache in a vacant field near a church when a man approached an introduced himself as the pastor of a church across the road. When he asked what we were doing, I replied that we were doing a survey for a new land fill for the area! He scampered away at great speed, we found the cache and quickly left. :grin:

I was visiting Connecticut from New Hampshire and my good friend gave me the coordinates for a cache because it was near where we met for lunch and I needed a good find to place a travel bug. The area is in a public conservation land park that is sorrounded on 3 sides by private residences. You also need to drive down a road that is marked simply "Private". I parked right where the page described and took the short walk to the site. I found the cache, opened it up and realized that I left the travel bug in the car. Since it was a sort 1 minute (time) walk and nobody was around, I left the cache open and uncovered. When I got back to my car some guy wrote down my license plate and gave me a hard time. I didn't need any hassle from the Westport Police - they can be real “Boy Scouts“ at times. He took off, so I ran back to the cache to throw in the travel bug and to hide the unit (before the cops showed up). In all of that, I bumped my brand new GPS unit against a rock and put a knick near the center of the screen! Now I have a constant reminder of this experience. Although this is a beautiful site, I suggested that the owner may want to move this cache because the neighbors are jerks. See "Colonial Marshland" if you want more.

Anyway, just a thought... If locals ever give you a hard time in a situation like this, maybe you could tell them something like the following:

“Hello, I am with a land development firm. We work with the government in determining new low income housing areas. The government gives us subsidies to locate low income families in various neighborhoods to further diversify our communities. Westport currently does not meet the per capita for this and we are in the process of purchasing properties in this area.”

These people are such snobs that they would actually believe you!

Oh man! I can now just see them all running down to the Town Hall! [laughing] By the way, I never said "which" government!

BTW: A private road of this nature means only that the local residents maintain the speed bumps and snow plowing. This road is partially maintained by the town (city) of Westport and you have the right to visit the park as it is indeed a Public Area. The locals know this, they figure you don’t.

What do you think?

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

[upload an image for this log]

If I'm caught with the ammo can or tupperware in hand I look in the cache, turn to whoever I am caching with and ask "Do you want ham and cheese, or peanut butter and jelly?"

It works. Once we were sitting in the bushes and that had to seem like a strange spot to have a picnic.

Edited by Planet

On a recent hunt on a bridleway which had a deep ditch one side and a mass of brambles and nettles the other side I spotted a chap coming the other way. It was lunch hour and I was in my suit. The conversation went a little like this:

"Are you from the Department of Transport?" He asked.

"No, I'm not", smiling sweetly.

"Are you sure your not from Transport, because it's about time they cleared these drains they keep flooding" I was informed.

"So what are you doing?" ... ahhh right, here we go, tell or don't tell.

Quick as a flash, "I'm looking for a small digital camera that my kids dropped in the brambles while blackberry picking, no luck I'm affraid"

"Oh right, no problem, show me the spot and I'll get my sythe and strimmer and clear away all the nettles for you... here's my number, give me a ring tomorrow and I'll let you know how I got on. I cleared all of this last year, I'm not doing it again, that's the Department of Transports job."

I gave the chap a ring the next day and surprisingly he hadn't found the camera! So after I thanked him profusely for his efforts I said I'd pop back at lunchtime and have a look again myself to see if it was elsewhere. Found the cache no problem at lunchtime, no nettle rash or scratches up my arms.

Earlier on the cache hunt I parked up and watched a couple wandering around the beach poking around a large boulder which is submerged at high tide. The cache I just found had partial co-ordinates for the start of another cache. I put them into the GPS and accidentally swapped two of the digits, because I didn't read the cache page properly. The wrong co-ordinates were about spot on for where the couple were searching.... had a chuckle about that one, but only later when I realised my mistake and the couple were gone. I wonder what excuse they would of given me!

Other excuses:

"Loitering with intent to do something you really don't want to witness"

"I saw a pixie run in here... have you seen the pixie come out?"

"I'm sure I set my bear trap in here somewhere, careful where you step!"

"I'm looking for a suitable tree to hug"

"Wife says I have to bring the kids home for a proper funeral"

Or:

Tell the truth... but that's not as much fun.

Cust.

Thank you all guys iv read the lot and it has brought a smile to my face. I have not been in the position yet i think i would just explain geocache. However it would be funny to just take a big breath slowly sit down and cross your legs and the bow your head and say "im sorry", and wait til they go.Or get down on all fours and howl like a wolf, and if you are really daring try space invaders!

Space invaders? is when you gradually get closer and closer to sombody until you break their :laughing: personal space and they move (this can be done any time not just geocaching)

BTW these are but joke reactions and should not be taken seriously :)

Thank you all guys iv read the lot and it has brought a smile to my face. I have not been in the position yet i think i would just explain geocache. However it would be funny to just take a big breath slowly sit down and cross your legs and the bow your head and say "im sorry", and wait til they go.Or get down on all fours and howl like a wolf, and if you are really daring try space invaders!

Space invaders? is when you gradually get closer and closer to sombody until you break their :rolleyes: personal space and they move (this can be done any time not just geocaching)

BTW these are but joke reactions and should not be taken seriously :D

Space Invaders! Good one!!! At first I was thinking of the 1980's video game, but I guess they both invade your "personal" space. Why not add those old video sounds while you move closer: Weet Wot Weet Wot, Whaat Whaaat [laughing - thanks I needed a good laugh today]. Yes, I find it amazing that some people think that every response is to be taken so literally - I guess that is what makes this forum so fun!

Edited by romsk

On a recent hunt on a bridleway which had a deep ditch one side and a mass of brambles and nettles the other side I spotted a chap coming the other way. It was lunch hour and I was in my suit. The conversation went a little like this:

"Are you from the Department of Transport?" He asked.

"No, I'm not", smiling sweetly.

"Are you sure your not from Transport, because it's about time they cleared these drains they keep flooding" I was informed.

"So what are you doing?" ... ahhh right, here we go, tell or don't tell.

Quick as a flash, "I'm looking for a small digital camera that my kids dropped in the brambles while blackberry picking, no luck I'm affraid"

"Oh right, no problem, show me the spot and I'll get my sythe and strimmer and clear away all the nettles for you... here's my number, give me a ring tomorrow and I'll let you know how I got on. I cleared all of this last year, I'm not doing it again, that's the Department of Transports job."

I gave the chap a ring the next day and surprisingly he hadn't found the camera! So after I thanked him profusely for his efforts I said I'd pop back at lunchtime and have a look again myself to see if it was elsewhere. Found the cache no problem at lunchtime, no nettle rash or scratches up my arms.

Earlier on the cache hunt I parked up and watched a couple wandering around the beach poking around a large boulder which is submerged at high tide. The cache I just found had partial co-ordinates for the start of another cache. I put them into the GPS and accidentally swapped two of the digits, because I didn't read the cache page properly. The wrong co-ordinates were about spot on for where the couple were searching.... had a chuckle about that one, but only later when I realised my mistake and the couple were gone. I wonder what excuse they would of given me!

Other excuses:

"Loitering with intent to do something you really don't want to witness"

"I saw a pixie run in here... have you seen the pixie come out?"

"I'm sure I set my bear trap in here somewhere, careful where you step!"

"I'm looking for a suitable tree to hug"

"Wife says I have to bring the kids home for a proper funeral"

Or:

Tell the truth... but that's not as much fun.

Cust.

Cust,

Great story! I have to deal with a lot of Poison Sumac bushes here in New England, this may come in handy!

I have the most fun when I tell the truth and then start telling the person about the technology and the sats and ask them if they would like to check out the GPSr and maybe help in the hunt for the unknown object. Since we are in the land of Microsoft I think that most people figure we are just whacko techno nerds - what's wrong with that? We are.

When the hide is in a neighborhood I just try to be as invisible as possible. The nosey neighbors are the biggest problem we encounter. But I don't blame them for being concerned about strange folks poking around the local open space. Again, I tell them as much as they need to know to get them to leave me alone. Ususally the treasure hunt theme works pretty well if.

Edited by WRASTRO

We were looking for a cache today when a fella pulled up in a pickup, rolled down the window and asked "WHAT are you DOING?" I had no idea what to say except, WHAT? Then my wife just says, "Oh, we're just streching our legs.." And the guy says, OK, just wondering. And drives away. Turns out we were parked fairly near his driveway entrance. We didn't find the cache.

I was out of my usual area the other day (white woman in an african-american man's park, basically) checking for places to hide a cache. Apparently I stuck out like a sore thumb whilst putting my hand in a tree hole above my head. The guys called out, "what are you looking for". I tried to ingore them (at first, I really didn't know they were talking to me). They called out again, "what are you looking for??" I thought about the best way to answer, and telling them "robins' eggs" didn't sound legit enough. So I pretended I was my son and said, "nuthin'" and apparently that worked. I walked off without further questioning (whew)!

Edited by meralgia

Oddly enough the only time we have ever been asked is by another cacher. It is sad comment that doing odd things is not abnormal.

When we have been finding caches in odd places such as inside statues, photography is a key tool - its amazing what wierd stuff you can do if a camera is around - rustle around in bushes, lean up against things, stick your hands in funny places etc.

The other tool we used was poor catching with a tennis ball - works in front of anyone.

Try explaining it to your friends - that can wind down into quiet mumbling as they stare at you, without saying anything.

Thanks for the T shirt link.

I don't have a typical response, it all depends upon the situation. However, the first explanation that springs to mind is that "I'm searching for Rare (insert State here) Blue Spotted Tics. They have been known to infest this area. I would sure appreciate some help". Can you believe I got someone near Texarkana, AR to help me!

I just act like I don't speak English! B)
Acabo de actuar como yo no hablan español! B)
Good try, but you used Google Translate, didn't you... "I just act like myself do not speak Spanish!"

"I just act like myself" - yeah, knowschad - that repulses just about anyone (in that case, you don't need a reply for "what are you doing")!! :D:ph34r::ph34r:

I wish we could get away with half of these excuses. LOL

We have to use the "We're geocaching" line.

I always laugh when I hear people say "wow, that was tough with all the muggles around."

Tough?!?! Try being a muslim couple, with a GPSr and backpack, searching for an ammo box.

Yeah, go ahead and explain yourself. LOL. Everyone at the last event that we told this to thought it was hysterical, and they agreed that we had it the most difficult.

Every time we seek a cache that has a high difficulty because of Muggles, we're like, oh man, here's another level 6 cache.

But then again, that's all part of the fun of it. Although we're not able to search for certain caches, and we avoid night caches altogether. Too much to explain to folks :(

Although, when I was out placing a cache, and was wearing my coveralls, someone asked what I was doing, and I did say, "Oh, just running some tests, do you hang out here a lot?"

Response: "Yeah, I'm here quite a bit"

Me: "Have you noticed any rashes? or unexplained itching sensations after you've left the park?"

Response: "OMG is there toxic stuff here?!"

Me: "Heh, nah, i'm just pulling your leg man, I'm setting up a geocache..."

Then I explained Geocaching to the guy, and he told me he's gonna buy a GPSr so he can do it too.