Best Excuse For The Question: "what Are You Doing?"

50Cal

Why do we need excuses? Is geocaching illegal? Guess it depends on whats in the cache, but most often, the answer is no. Is Geocaching the start of some secret society? As long as people (wtf is a muggle? sorry, i'm a adult, not into Harry Potter) don't see you take the cache out, or put it back, why do we need to hide anything? I've read logs of non-geocachers who have found the cache, have exchanged stuff and placed it back. Some have probably come up missing after people finding it, but that could happen regardless if the secret of the geocaching society is out or not. Hiding your GPS from people you meet or saying its a phone? What is wrong with you people? I just started geocaching a few weeks ago, and think its a awesome game. I love it, but it's a game, stop taking this, and everything else so seriously. I was looking for a cache yesterday in a rather large park, a guy and his kids came up the trail, the kids went past me, the guy looks at my GPS and asks me if I'm getting a good signal on it (I was standing a few feet off the trail with my gps infront of me, trying to figure out where to go next) I replied "yeah, theres a cache around here somewhere and I'm going to find it." (I was no where close to it) He laughed a bit at the way I said it, and continued on his way catching up with his kids. Theres some funny excuses, but why do we need them?

In the past I have said "Geocaching".....then I have to go into the long explaination of it all, which I don't have problems doing. Although, lately it seems that I have been finding less and less geocaching time, you know family, work, mowing the lawn etc....etc....etc...

I'm going to devise a plan and I tried part of it today......

I carry a yellow notebook and GPSr in one hand and I'm calling "someone" on my cell phone in the other hand. I wear an OD colored shirt that looks "official". People watch me and then move on. The visual cues say "employee doing a job".

Next, I'm going to carry a white walking stick.

Why do we need excuses? Is geocaching illegal? Guess it depends on whats in the cache, but most often, the answer is no. Is Geocaching the start of some secret society? As long as people (wtf is a muggle? sorry, i'm a adult, not into Harry Potter) don't see you take the cache out, or put it back, why do we need to hide anything? I've read logs of non-geocachers who have found the cache, have exchanged stuff and placed it back. Some have probably come up missing after people finding it, but that could happen regardless if the secret of the geocaching society is out or not. Hiding your GPS from people you meet or saying its a phone? What is wrong with you people? I just started geocaching a few weeks ago, and think its a awesome game. I love it, but it's a game, stop taking this, and everything else so seriously. I was looking for a cache yesterday in a rather large park, a guy and his kids came up the trail, the kids went past me, the guy looks at my GPS and asks me if I'm getting a good signal on it (I was standing a few feet off the trail with my gps infront of me, trying to figure out where to go next) I replied "yeah, theres a cache around here somewhere and I'm going to find it." (I was no where close to it) He laughed a bit at the way I said it, and continued on his way catching up with his kids. Theres some funny excuses, but why do we need them?

The answers are meant to be jokes. Muggles are non geocachers. You are taking the responses to this thread too seriously. :anicute: Some of these responses, none of these people in their right mind would actually use when asked. There are times when we need to be discreet, and therefore need to be able to throw non geocachers off the track.

The answers are meant to be jokes. Muggles are non geocachers. You are taking the responses to this thread too seriously. :anicute: Some of these responses, none of these people in their right mind would actually use when asked. There are times when we need to be discreet, and therefore need to be able to throw non geocachers off the track.

Hmmm. I read somewhere that a muggle is a term stolen from Harry Potter. What exacly makes a person a 'non-geocacher'? Lables SUCK!! Since I started to play the game do I have to carry another lable around with me? Throw them off track? If a cache is hidden well enough, it shouldn't be on a track, the cache should be off track, and hidden well enough that people won't see it easily, so you could b standing beside a hidden cache, a person asks you what ur doing, tell them what ur doing, look elsewhere else till the person or people have moved on, then come back and retrieve the cache. I know that some of the postings are ment as jokes, but the answer to what ur doing should always be "geocaching' or 'internet treasure hunt'. Maybe write the web address down for them so they could read about it and you won't have to explain it. Why lie? The information is here on the web for everyone to see if they want. Its no big secret.

The answers are meant to be jokes. Muggles are non geocachers. You are taking the responses to this thread too seriously. :unsure: Some of these responses, none of these people in their right mind would actually use when asked. There are times when we need to be discreet, and therefore need to be able to throw non geocachers off the track.

Hmmm. I read somewhere that a muggle is a term stolen from Harry Potter. What exacly makes a person a 'non-geocacher'? Lables SUCK!! Since I started to play the game do I have to carry another lable around with me? Throw them off track? If a cache is hidden well enough, it shouldn't be on a track, the cache should be off track, and hidden well enough that people won't see it easily, so you could b standing beside a hidden cache, a person asks you what ur doing, tell them what ur doing, look elsewhere else till the person or people have moved on, then come back and retrieve the cache. I know that some of the postings are ment as jokes, but the answer to what ur doing should always be "geocaching' or 'internet treasure hunt'. Maybe write the web address down for them so they could read about it and you won't have to explain it. Why lie? The information is here on the web for everyone to see if they want. Its no big secret.

Some times it is easier to come up with a funny comment than to explain what we are really doing. "throw them off track" is a figure of speech! The location of a cache is supposed to be secret, otherwise, what fun is it to look for them? What is the point of hiding a cache if you just broadcast out loud where it is? That's why there is so much secrecy.

I honestly ran into this particular problem twice. Once we were looking approached by a muggle and he asked what we were looking for. I told him that I had lost my bracelet while we were walking through the woods on a previous visit and was hoping it was still there somewhere..

Another time, I went one step further since it was a heavily traveled area and I acted sheepish and told the person that I got mad at my husband and threw a my ring into the woods during an argument. My sad eyes sent the inquisitor walking in the opposite direction in a hurry with an "I'm sorry for asking" look.

I try NOT to be discovered at any cost regardless. If a person doesn't play the game..they could potentially (for whatever self-serving or pompous reason) destroy or remove the cache. I don't want to be responsible for that. It would be nice to think that you could explain the game to a total stranger and receive their blessing...but sadly, I don't think that's what happens in most cases.

Several of our local letterboxes have turned up stolen...whether by chance or design and that gives me the incentive to lie as I see fit to protect the cache for the next person who seeks it.

I like the other repsonses that other people have handy though. I'll have to give them a try if the need arises.

I don't have a set excuse for every time I'm asked. Although I have no problem explaining geocaching, its just that people usually don't understand it. It's so much quicker to just fib than try to explain it to them. One time I was hunting for a cache about 30 feet off the trail. I heard some people coming around the bend and there was no way I could get out of the thornbushes I was wading in before they arrived. I whipped out my camera and started snapping photos. When the couple approached, they looked at me like I was nuts. I simply stated that I was photographing all the trash in the area so I could write the town a letter about how the area needed cleaning up. They bought the story and applauded me for my kindness. I really should write that letter. Then there was another time when this woman was staring while we were poking around for a cache. I got a bad vibe from her and didnt want to explain to her what I was doing. See the log. Anyhow, I have seen geocaching flyers somewhere that explains all about it. I should really get some of those. It would save lots of time.

One time we were looking for a cache near a public transportation parking area. We were aproached by some little street thugs wondering what we were doing here and what we wanted. We had our camera with us and a writing tablet we told them we were getting dimensions on where we were putting the new camera surveillance system that we were going to install. We started taking pictures of the area and a picture of them. Next thing you know they vanished without a trace.

I had an intresting run in yesterday while caching.

My friend and I were in the woods off of this trail looking for the cache and this man comes up and asks what we were doing. I explained it to him and he walked off. A few minutes later he returned and asked if we smoked weed... I said no and he left once again.

I'm looking for the third gunman on the grassy knoll.

I've lost all hope. Have you seen it?

You're out here, too. What are YOU looking for?

I was taking my ant farm out for a walk when a strong wind blew the container out of my hand. Have you seen my friends?

Edited by monkeynuts16

One time we were looking for a cache near a public transportation parking area. We were aproached by some little street thugs wondering what we were doing here and what we wanted. We had our camera with us and a writing tablet we told them we were getting dimensions on where we were putting the new camera surveillance system that we were going to install. We started taking pictures of the area and a picture of them. Next thing you know they vanished without a trace.

thats great, going to have to keep that one in mind if i ever need it ;)

Whenever you are out geocaching and you run into another person(s), what do you say when they ask you what your looking for or what you're doing? Anyone know some good answers?

For just a few dollars you can have a very professional looking shirt made up. I had mine printed on a flourescent orange shirt and it reads "Profesional poisonous reptile recovery company" on the back and on the front I had an image of a striking rattle snake placed. I dont get many questions and the muggles cant get away quickly enough!

When is the last time you had a good bowel movement? Please for all our sakes eat some fruit!

The answers are meant to be jokes. Muggles are non geocachers. You are taking the responses to this thread too seriously. <_< Some of these responses, none of these people in their right mind would actually use when asked. There are times when we need to be discreet, and therefore need to be able to throw non geocachers off the track.

I keep 4 small empty test tubes in my cache pack that hace stoppers on them so when muggles or municipal workers confront me I use one of two stories depending on where I am.

Near water: "I'm collecting water samples from around here for a project I'm doing with the local college." and then I'll proceed to fill 2 or more test tubes up with water and pack them in my bag.

On land: "I'm collecting soil samples from this area for a project I'm doing with the local college" and then just fill 1 or 2 test tubes with some random soil from that area and move on.

Seems to work fairly well as no one has yet to call me on it. :mad:

Generally I try to tell the truth, but sometimes it's not a good idea. Sometimes you can TELL that if you did tell about the cache the moment you left the it would get muggled.

I too carry a pretty substantial camera and make excuses for picture taking. Dick carries a covered clipboard and looks official, he has a number of OSHA orange T-shirts with his Local 3 Union logo on them. They generally think that we are out on some official errand.

I say be creative! Think of it as a creative writing class. I personally loved a number of them, Snipe hunting being one of my favorites. :mad:

My personal favorite would be:

"If I tellyou, then I'll have to kill you. Do you REALLY want to know?" :o

A trick I use when approached by someone is to hold the GPS unit up to my mouth, making a chirping sound under my breath and then say, "Scotty, Spock, beam to the bridge." Then give the gps unit a couple of taps and repeat the phrase.

They usually leave, slowly and carefully.

Serious answers-

Tell them about Geocaching.

I am a member of the local trail watch and just tell them I am searching for homeless camps to report.

Picking up trash.

Not so serious answers-

Conducting a mosquito census.

Searching for Hoffa.

Looking for fun places to pee.

Trying to bury my nieghbors cat.

The aliens told me to meet them here.

Looking at tracks of a giant bear I just saw walk by.

Hiding the corpse of the last person who asked me stupid questions.

"Systemcache and I were looking for a cache near a camp ground. There was a guard at the security gate, and he asked us what we were doing. SC said we were using our GPS' exploring, and then the guard asked us if we were treasure hunting. We both laughed, and then attempted to explain to him what this "treasure hunting" really was. He said that he knew where this treasure was, but he had no idea what the deal was behind it. It felt good to convert another civilian to the geocaching world.

Edited by $CacheMan$

Ive only ever been asked once. by a car full of cops. I walked over to the car and told them i was on a scavenger hunt. They drove off thinking i was insane.

Given it was past midnight and i was over waist deep into thick bushes with nothing really scenic on either side of them, while using a flashlight...

No-one seems to ask that. If we are out as a family it is normal to have kids running around exploring. If I am away working on my own (I travel the UK) then I have a construction site hard hat and day-glo vest I put on. I look just like a surveyor and I can say I from the planning department and am measuring up for the new motorway.

It depends on when and where I get caught. If I've already found the cache, I'll explain what I'm doing. Of course only if the people asking look dependable. (If they look suspicious, I'd probably be clutching at my dogs with one hand and reaching for my .45 with the other). LOL. I try not to let them see me near the cache. I'll leave if I have to and try again another time. :rolleyes:

There were quite a few funny answers on the Podcacher Podcast. It was in the Muggle Deception Tricks episode. A few were...

"I'm looking for a place to bury a body... about your size..."

and, if you're in a group...

"I lost my wallet! My keys are in here somewhere! Where'd that contact go? Have you guys found that snake yet?"

Personally, I haven't had anybody ask me yet... I would probably tell them about Geocaching, though. If they know, then won't take it hopefully!

Well we were out looking for a cache at an abandoned waste water treatment center when a cop approached us. Thinking the best thing to do would be to not tell the cop what we were doing, we told him "we're getting ready to put some more graphitti onto this here building"...

After being put into the squad car, we thought maybe we should've told him the truth.

the truth.....

but if muggles are nearby I will typically look at the surroundings and pretend to take notes, Take a fake call on the phone or even make a real call if I can think of someone I needed to call. Most of the time if you are busy looking like you don't care if anyone is watching no one will ask you.

We have asked people if we could search the bench they were sitting on. They have also been reception and interesting to hear about what we were doing.

We have joke about getting some orange traffic vests and maybe some survey tools for high muggle areas. Maybe even though out a few traffic coins if we are by the road.

the truth.....

but if muggles are nearby I will typically look at the surroundings and pretend to take notes, Take a fake call on the phone or even make a real call if I can think of someone I needed to call. Most of the time if you are busy looking like you don't care if anyone is watching no one will ask you.

We have asked people if we could search the bench they were sitting on. They have also been reception and interesting to hear about what we were doing.

We have joke about getting some orange traffic vests and maybe some survey tools for high muggle areas. Maybe even though out a few traffic coins if we are by the road.

the truth.....

we were at a cache yesterday, and when i found it, i got a bit too excited. we were in a park, so there were houses nearby (but no one in the park itself). so, when i yelled in excitement of having found the elusive little bugger, an old lady walked out of her house and looked at us funny. i immediately said, "i found my phone! why did your stupid little brother hide it under there? idiot! and look! missed calls! i'm gonna kill your brother." (i was with a few friends) the old lady went back in her house.

there was one cache that required that we climb up a big pile of rocks that is part of a piece of "art" in the middle of our town. the so-called art, is a big 'ol metal rusty tree. we decided that if anyone asked what we were doing, we were going to tell them that we were gonig to steal the metal tree (which is absolutely impossible) and put it up as a christmas tree. (in the middle of may) sadly, nobody noticed us.

Well we were out looking for a cache at an abandoned waste water treatment center when a cop approached us. Thinking the best thing to do would be to not tell the cop what we were doing, we told him "we're getting ready to put some more graphitti onto this here building"...

After being put into the squad car, we thought maybe we should've told him the truth.

well....ddduuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh :)

Just thought this would be funny:

Hi, the name's Skip! *shaking hand vigorously and not stopping throughout* I'm just scouting some outdoor locations for my latest project. You look like the sort of person that wants to be in pictures! How would you like me to make you a star? You'd be perfect! I'm in room 307 over in the Sheraton. Why don't you come by and meet me in the lounge at about 8ish and we'll talk! You could be bigger than big! What do you say?

Yesterday, while we were at one of the caches, my husband was moving something probably more than it should be (going to be as vague as possible so as not to ruin the cache). We knew it was the cache but we weren't sure how to disassemble it. Well, we eventually disassembled it the proper way and were able to sign it. As we were walking towards another cache on the same property, a cop had pulled in. I was freaking out - didn't know how to explain this to him. But as soon as he saw my husband and I walking and talking and using our PDA, he had a good idea what we were there for and left us be. I think he was laughing at us when we were walking to the cache's title area, but as soon as we were at the second cache spot and signing the log, he drove off.

Next time we run into a cop, we'll probably explain what we're really doing and ask if (s)he wants to join in :anitongue: