Premier Geocoin Race

res2100

I have not seen this done before, so if it has forgive me for not noticing. I figure since there have been several TB races, it was only natural to do a Geocoin Race and that is what I am planning here.

I've created the initial race page and have included several ideas on how I think it should work, but I hope that others will lend some ideas and suggestions to make this a possitive and enjoyable race. You can view the web page and rule suggestions here: http://www.geocities.com/geocoinrace/race.htm

For those that would like to enter a geocoin into the race or donate prizes of geocoins or other items, please let me know. I will start off by donating one of my new upcoming Toronto 2006 geocoins into the prize pool. In order for me to proceed with this race, I would like to see a minimum of 10 geocachers participating, but I hope we can get up to 50 or even more so as to create lots of excitement.

...Feel free to discuss any ideas here and I will update the web page accordingly with any good ideas.

...If you want to suggest a better name for this Geocoin Race, please also suggest it.

...Please post also if you will be entering or donating.

Sounds interesting. I've entered one TB race and my entry didn't do so well, but I'm not going to let one bad experience ruin it for me. Put me down for entering a BikeDog Memorial coin in the race.

What kind of race is it going to be? Is there a specific location the coins want to get to or a series of caches to visit or what???

Very cool idea. I am off to work now but will check back later to read the rules. I am in with a Maryland coin for sure and I would be willing to provide a Maryland coin as a prize as well. Would a personal non trackable with a TB tag qualify? Perhaps I can attach one to the Maryland coin and make it a twofer.

Wow, the response to this geocoin race has been great so far, so I am going ahead with it. I will email everyone individually where they should send the coins to.

I've updated the Race page with a list of people who said they would like to participate and any other information that they gave me as to the coins you are entering.

To answer some questions:

Coins are to be registered under your own name (not mine).

Coins will all start the race from the same location. Possibly from an event cache where I will directly distribute the coins to people to move them along. There is an event cache on May 13th that I am attending, so that is an option.

Coin clubs are welcomed to enter, but a maximum of 5 coins per geocaching id.

The entered coin must be gc.com trackable (ie, you can't attach a TB tag to it). If you don't have one to enter, I will have Toronto coins available if you want to use them, then you don't have to worry about shipping the coins to me.

I figure each coin should be accompanied with a common description about the race and what finders should do with the coin. If someone has suggestions, please post here or email.

...I have a couple coins donated for prizes, but I hope more people will contribute to the prize pool.

I figure each coin should be accompanied with a common description about the race and what finders should do with the coin. If someone has suggestions, please post here or email.

How about posting a PDF or small word file on your site that does as you describe above, then every coin would have the same thing, or you could bag each coin when you get it and put the sheet in at that time, this may help them keep moving.

I'll enter the race with a Wyoming coin. You'll have to hold the race start up for awhile until it gets in :huh:

OK OK I was just kidding :huh:

But I will enter the race with a Georgia coin I have coming in any day now. If they both get here I will put a second up for a prize.

okies. just a few questions.

saw the web page and know the start location. is there going to be a finish location much like the cannonball run race.??

is there going to be a time frame to complete the race in??

maybe I am tired tonight but am not sure these questions were addressed..

okies. just a few questions.

saw the web page and know the start location. is there going to be a finish location much like the cannonball run race.??

is there going to be a time frame to complete the race in??

maybe I am tired tonight but am not sure these questions were addressed..

Answers to these questions:

No finish location. Simply the most miles logged and the most caches visited. Open to other ideas too.

Yes there will be a time frame to complete the race.

Final rules will be posted before the start of the race.

So far we have 30 people entered with about 45+ coins being entered and 5 people have indicated that they will be donating some geocoins for prizes too.

I just updated the race page too with some rule additions (in bold), fixed typo and added the latest information on entrants and donations. If you have any missing information to fill in like a link to an icon, let me know.

Looks like this will be a lot of fun.

We are in and a we have coin to donate for a prize also

According to the rules you are creating a generic "bug Sheet" with the TB mission?

Will you be attaching these to the coins or just putting in a baggie with them.

Attached missions are sure to stay with the coin longer but that would require people to put a hole in thier coin. Personally I am planning to put an extra hole in my coin to make it less attractive to be collected.

I also wonder if the attached missions should mention they are in race. on one hand it might be fun if the people that pick the bugs up know about the race and may even try to go out of thier way to help the bug.

then on the other hand it might be fun if none of the bugs mention the race in thier missions or mission tags and people will unknownly be participating in the race by moving the bugs. just keep the mission short and simple. Travel as often and as much as possible etc....

Not suggesting one way or the other just trying to iniate Ideas.

I've updated the race page with the latest entries and added some other information.

http://www.geocities.com/geocoinrace/race.htm

It's been decided that the geocoin race will begin on May 13th at the 2nd Annual COG Spring Fling event (see the note on the cache page description). For the start of the race, I will be handing out the coins personally to people who I know will move the coins on in a timely manor.

I will continue to update the race page as more people join/donate and as I begin to receive the entrants' coins.

Can someone tell me what the approximate ship time is to Canada (from Nebraska)? Trying to judge whether I have enough time to wait on the Nebraska coin or if I should send another. I will also be sending a geocoin for the prizes.

Can someone tell me what the approximate ship time is to Canada (from Nebraska)? Trying to judge whether I have enough time to wait on the Nebraska coin or if I should send another. I will also be sending a geocoin for the prizes.

I would take a guess and say it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks. It's hard to say as something it only takes a few days for something to get to me in Canada and other times it takes 2 to 3 weeks. If the coin is late in arriving, that is ok still too, it just means it won't start out at the Event and instead start out at another cache, so it might have a bit of a disadvantage initially for starting a bit later, but in the course of the race I don't think that would be a factor.

Thanks for donating to the prizes too.

I didn't realise the coin I intended to enter doesn't have a unique icon, only a personal coin one. Does this mean it is less likely to travel?

As long as the coin is trackable on geocaching.com, then it is fine to enter. I don't think that it will effect the travels of the coin if it just has the generic icon, but it certainly would be a good test.

There's over 65 coins entered already. I'll be updating the page tonight with some more racers.

Updated the race page http://www.geocities.com/geocoinrace/race.htm with the latest entries.

The first coin for the race arrived today too. I will update the list as I receive your coins.

73 entries so far

Over 15 items for the prizes.

...it's neat to see all the different coins entered in the race.

Also, I was wondering if someone can look and help me with a problem with the html for the race page. I noticed that the text where it says the prizes will wrap around the table on the right side if I add more lines to the table. So to correct this I have to add a bunch of line breaks or paragraph codes in order of the text to appear after the table. Somehow I don't think this is right and I shouldn't need to do this. I am using Dreamweaver at the moment to update this page. I don't recall this being the case when I use FrontPage for similar things in the past.

This is an excellent way for you to get a lot of geocoins circulating.

How about suggesting in the race rules (I know it can't be enforced but just putting it there could help) something along the lines of.

"Once you pick up a coin you must leave it another cache for the next cacher."

That may help from one person taking a coin and just picking it up and dropping it off and never leaving it in a cache for others to move.

Don't let me forget and I'll add this race to the Travel Bug Races coin.

Thanks

How is this for the race information card that I will include along with all of the coins in the race. The coin and the card will go in a ziploc bag (unless someone else has a better suggestion). I hope to put the below text on business card size paper stock on pink or yellow hard paper. Any suggestions or changes to the below are more than welcome. Some thoughts on why I included the points below. I think it will happen quite often that someone will find a coin and then show it to their friends for them to log. If they do this I would like them to grab the coin instead of virtually placing it in a cache (when the coin was never really in the cache in the first place) for their friend to virtually retrieve. Not sure if virtually is exactly the right word, but you get the point. Ie, only log the coin in a cache if they are actually leaving it in a cache. I've seen it far too often where people say they leave a coin or TB in a cache, but in reallity they have just handed it off to another cacher.

The Premier Geocoin Race

The geocoin accompanying this card is taking part in The Premier Geocoin Race. The geocoins entered in this race wish to travel as much as possible over great distances and visiting as many geocaches as possible. Please help this geocoin along by following some simple rules:

•Please place this geocoin in another geocache in a timely manner.

•Please do not drop off and retrieve this geocoin from the same cache.

•Only use the “Placed it” log entry when actually physically placing the geocoin in a cache for others to find.

•If you are allowing other geocachers to log this coin while it is in your possession, please have them use the “Grab it” log entry.

•Please do not place this geocoin in an overly difficult cache.

•Please do not keep this geocoin. It is in a race and wants to move.

For more information on The Premier Geocoin Race, please visit: http://www.geocities.com/geocoinrace/race.htm

If New York coins weren't so hard to come by, I would love to enter one of those! Guess I'll have to settle for a USA!

I can't help but giggle looking at the entrants' list with all the team names, coins and icons listed next to them. I keep seeing the line up for a smash up derby with all those colorful cars and numbers, engines revved and waiting to go...