Did My First Wally World Cache

I haven't been cache hunting in awhile and I was at 94 caches.I have a hip problem and cache hunting for the type I like is a very painful experience. One that usually takes me days to recover from. I got the bug today and thought that while I was out on sales calls that I could hit 6 quick caches and reach that elusive number of 100. So I did a search of nearby caches that were in the area that I would be and came up with 6 that were within a mile of one another. All micros that would be fairly easy.

I lost heart after the first 2. I found the first one under a light pole in a parking lot. I will say it was the smallest cache I've ever found, but I saw it from the truck when I pulled up. The 2nd was a wally world cache. Lift up the lamp pole skirt and there it was.

I went to the next four and they were all similar. I didn't even bother logging. I'll get to my 100th one day, but I'll enjoy doing them.

El Diablo

I hear ya. There was a thread in the NW forum not too long ago talking about the same thing. I'm with you, quality not quantity. One poster said the he didn't even look at a cache page unless it was something like a 3.5 terrain/3.5 difficulty or better. I did a few this last week on a cross-state trip I had to take for other reasons. I stayed pretty close to the freeway but was still really selective on what I visited. There was only a couple that were disappointing.

I have 2 caches hidden, one a park micro and the other an ammo can no brainer that I keep alot of kid stuff in. This summer my 12 y/o son and I are going to put one in the Wallowa-Whitman Nation Forest that will involve a lengthy hike and big elevation gain to get to. I really enjoyed the view from this hike, which includes an alpine waterfall and year round snow pockets, along with remote lakes and large rock formations. Nothing that requires special equipment, just a good day hike. These are the type I am going to focus on after I lose my new friend-knee bursitis.

Yeah! Last week I was out doing some cache hunting and come across the spot for a micro. The bearing arrow pointed to a "l a m e' spot. :rolleyes: UUHHHGGGG! I groaned. :ph34r: I didn't even get out to go get it even for the number. AND, what amazed me was not but 200 feet away was a spot that would have been perfect for a small cache at least. Nice little foot bridge with some trees and a creek all in the same area. But this person placed a lame micro instead. :cry::blink::ph34r:

Yeah! Last week I was out doing some cache hunting and come across the spot for a micro. The bearing arrow pointed to a "l a m e' spot. :rolleyes: UUHHHGGGG! I groaned. :ph34r: I didn't even get out to go get it even for the number. AND, what amazed me was not but 200 feet away was a spot that would have been perfect for a small cache at least. Nice little foot bridge with some trees and a creek all in the same area. But this person placed a lame micro instead. :cry::blink::ph34r:

It took a lot of work to get this one placed. All that and it went missing before the first log. So far it's living up to it's name. I rather like that. 200' away though is more of the same.

Edited by Renegade Knight

One of my local Wal-marts has three (yes, three) parking lot micros all in the same lot :rolleyes:

Our Walmart doesn't have a big enough parking lot, but we have an outlet mall in town that has three.

Around southenr Cal there is a consistent pattern of spreading dozens of "quick" micros around the site of any events, usually published within 24 before.

Dave_W6DPS

I've only done one lampskirt cache, and not knowing what it was beforehand, it was fun.

I like the cool places that geocaching takes me, but sometimes on the less scenic ones, I am able to focus on the cool technology that leads me to hidden objects that non-geocachers cannot find.

sorry...I'll work on my angst about micros some more over the weekend, and get back to you all with a grumpy post on Monday.

Jamie

I don't mine the repetitive micro caches, even the lamp post skirts. I like all kinds of caches, from the long hikes to the micros. I love logging into the site and seeing another one pop up on my first page. You can never tell what kind of hunt you are in for until you get to the site......so the excitement remains for awhile.

I don't mine the repetitive micro caches, even the lamp post skirts. I like all kinds of caches, from the long hikes to the micros. I love logging into the site and seeing another one pop up on my first page. You can never tell what kind of hunt you are in for until you get to the site......so the excitement remains for awhile.

We like all kinds too and have yet to tire of the quick park and grabs as long as others are around too. We did one in Asheville, NC that was in a Mall area that had some of the most beautiful views with mountains all around and overlooking the airport. We lifted up the skirt and signed and then just sat there for awhile and took all of the scenery in.

Well I did a micro not too long ago that was well hidden in the back of a movie theater parking lot, yeah not the most scenic area, but having working at a movie theater once I can appreciate this one because I spent a good deal of time "out back". However, I still enjoy the traditionals over the micros

The first time I found a cache like that, it wasn't in a Wal-Mart parking lot, but in a park. It was cool, never knew those skirts lifted up.

Of course, now it is the first place I check if a cache is in a parking lot. Sometimes its not there, but often enough.....

Anyways, if any of y'all are in the Plano Texas area you can check out my Just Another Wal-Mart Micro :huh:

A new Welcome to (City) wall/sign recently neared its completion by my house, so to hold the spot for a better hide when its 100% finished with statues and flags,I tossed a micro out. The micro it turns out wasn't to bad of a hide I gather from the logs. Or they are just being nice. And no, I didn't put it under the lampskirt! http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...21-dd668f21fc63

Not all micros are that bad. :huh:

A new Welcome to (City) wall/sign recently neared its completion by my house, so to hold the spot for a better hide when its 100% finished with statues and flags,I tossed a micro out. The micro it turns out wasn't to bad of a hide I gather from the logs. Or they are just being nice. And no, I didn't put it under the lampskirt! http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...21-dd668f21fc63

Not all micros are that bad. :huh:

That's a novel idea. Put out a micro to "hold the spot".

What would you think if someone else had beat you to it- and then they just leave it and spoil the *perfect* llarge cache hidey hole just 200' away?

I wonder how many of the "lame" micros out there were placed with just such intentions?

I can honestly say that I have never done a Wallyworld cache or anything else in or near a parking lot. I think that I tried a couple but I never saw them through. I just don't have the stomach for it. I try to avoid them entirely but every once and awhile I am suckered into a parking lot where I am supposed to be looking for a cache. I don't get out of the car for these. I stay long enough to figure out where I'm going next and drive on. There is a better cache somewhere down the road. If my hip was broke I might try one but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure I would end up feeling the same way as the OP. If that's all there is for people with broken hips to hunt, I'd be finding another hobby.

I don't know if it's been done yet, but a person could probably hide a larger cache than a micro under a lamp skirt. I was going to hide an ammo can cache in the woods by a Wallyworld parkinglot with all the trash but haven't done it yet.

The point isn't that it's a micro. The point is that it's uncreative. Well at least to me. I think a cache should either be creative, fun to hunt, lead you to a new an interesting area, or be a challenge. Who ever thought of the first Wal-Mart cache had a creative idea. Those that followed are just the same old.

There were 4 light pole caches within a half of a mile of one another. I ask you, just how challenging can it be to find a cache hid in a one foot square area? I also understand that there are people that like to find any cache no matter what it is. I find no fault with that. It's just I don't enjoy them.

El Diablo

While parking lot micros aren't high on my "to do" list, I've done plenty. But after my experience today, I have to say I don't mind them so much...

One of our local cachers (Dave) is a great guy who typically loves the Cache & Dash type of hides. Many of his are done that way. Years ago he had bypass surgery and isn't able to hike for long distances, so they were his thing. Just a few week ago, however, he had a stroke. He spent 3 or 4 weeks in the hospital, and just got out this past Wednesday. He has numbness over the whole right side of his body, and finds even walking a challenge. Our local cachers rallied around him, and really helped his family out in a number of ways, from maintaining his hides to helping remodel the basement of his house so he didn't have to go up stairs after he returned home. Today I got a phone call, it was Dave. Someone in the area had hidden a new cache that specifically had him in mind. While it wasn't a parking lot micro, it was a short walk and a rather quick find. I zipped over to his house, got him in the car, threw his walker in the trunk, and out we went for this cache. I had to help him walk the 50 yards down the gated lane to get to ground zero, but he did well. His walker stayed in my trunk, against the wishes of the hospital or his wife. I held onto him when I had to, but he did very well on his own. We found that cache, which was a huge victory for him -- it was the first hunt he'd been on since his stroke. He managed to get back to the car without my assistance, even though we did have to stop for a rest twice. Yes, the cache was a little more creative than a lamp post micro, but it wasn't hard -- for me. For him, it was a huge challenge, and a chance to prove to himself that while he isn't yet (and may never be) 100% back to normal, he can still geocache. It's really the only hobby he has, and I know for a while he was afraid he might have to give it up. Hopefully he's realizing now that he can still do what he loves, it's just more of a challenge.

So yes, those parking lot micros might be uninspired, or placed on a whim by newbie cachers, and I still don't particularly care to hunt them myself. But they will become one of my favorite types of caches whenever I'm caching with Dave. For folks like him, they're what this game is all about.

While parking lot micros aren't high on my "to do" list, I've done plenty. But after my experience today, I have to say I don't mind them so much...

One of our local cachers (Dave) is a great guy who typically loves the Cache & Dash type of hides. Many of his are done that way. Years ago he had bypass surgery and isn't able to hike for long distances, so they were his thing. Just a few week ago, however, he had a stroke. He spent 3 or 4 weeks in the hospital, and just got out this past Wednesday. He has numbness over the whole right side of his body, and finds even walking a challenge. Our local cachers rallied around him, and really helped his family out in a number of ways, from maintaining his hides to helping remodel the basement of his house so he didn't have to go up stairs after he returned home. Today I got a phone call, it was Dave. Someone in the area had hidden a new cache that specifically had him in mind. While it wasn't a parking lot micro, it was a short walk and a rather quick find. I zipped over to his house, got him in the car, threw his walker in the trunk, and out we went for this cache. I had to help him walk the 50 yards down the gated lane to get to ground zero, but he did well. His walker stayed in my trunk, against the wishes of the hospital or his wife. I held onto him when I had to, but he did very well on his own. We found that cache, which was a huge victory for him -- it was the first hunt he'd been on since his stroke. He managed to get back to the car without my assistance, even though we did have to stop for a rest twice. Yes, the cache was a little more creative than a lamp post micro, but it wasn't hard -- for me. For him, it was a huge challenge, and a chance to prove to himself that while he isn't yet (and may never be) 100% back to normal, he can still geocache. It's really the only hobby he has, and I know for a while he was afraid he might have to give it up. Hopefully he's realizing now that he can still do what he loves, it's just more of a challenge.

So yes, those parking lot micros might be uninspired, or placed on a whim by newbie cachers, and I still don't particularly care to hunt them myself. But they will become one of my favorite types of caches whenever I'm caching with Dave. For folks like him, they're what this game is all about.

What an awesome story... for a number of reasons...thank you for sharing that, it's the kind of story that makes me love the geocaching community even more, and also makes me want to be a better friend and neighbor.

Jamie

Edited by NFA

Thats awesome your caching community is so tight. I am proud to be a part of this hobby and stories like that just reenforce that feeling.

My parents are both having difficulties walking far. And that been in my mind so when I found a wheelchair accessable location in woods, with a nice viewpoint of a small lake, I was thrilled to put a cache there. Its waiting for approval but (GCV1VP) is exactly what we need to mix in with our crazy bushwacking caches.

Looking forward to many years of caching till I drop, guess I better leave all the easy ones to do when I can't get to the hard ones. :(

One of our local cachers (Dave) is a great guy who typically loves the Cache & Dash type of hides. ...

That's a fabulous story and I applaud Dave for getting back out there.

However, I find it unfortunate that it seems as though some think he might be restricted to lame parking lot caches. There is plenty of room for inspired drive-by caches. Team360's infamous "guardrail" cache comes to mind--it's a pull-off with a spectacular view.

1/1's do not equate to lame or uninspired. I simply don't understand why folks continue to try to force the two to mean the same thing. They don't. It's not about being a micro anymore than it is about being easy. Uninspired and unfulfilling caches are just that. Difficulty and size have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Folks like your friend deserve more than that.

One of our local cachers (Dave) is a great guy who typically loves the Cache & Dash type of hides. ...

1/1's do not equate to lame or uninspired. I simply don't understand why folks continue to try to force the two to mean the same thing. They don't. It's not about being a micro anymore than it is about being easy. Uninspired and unfulfilling caches are just that. Difficulty and size have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Exactly! Though I'm not a big fan of mico caches, I found one yesterday that I really admired. It wasn't hid in a great location, but it was ingenious. One out of two good attributes ain't bad.

El Diablo

That's a fabulous story and I applaud Dave for getting back out there.

However, I find it unfortunate that it seems as though some think he might be restricted to lame parking lot caches. There is plenty of room for inspired drive-by caches. Team360's infamous "guardrail" cache comes to mind--it's a pull-off with a spectacular view.

I agree with you completely. The point of my post was that parking lot caches might be a little more valuable to someone's game than many of us realize. I've never been a fan of hunting in parking lots, but then again I've never been disabled either. Heading out with Dave yesterday changed my perspective quite a bit. The caches that I always wrote off as being not worth my time are the exact same caches that really make the game playable for some people. Quality in a hide is always appreciated, but not always found. However, even those parking lot caches with no view, no challenge, and seemingly no point other than to exist are still very valuable to some people, because they're accessible. Is Dave limited to hunting only in parking lots? Heck no. The cache we did yesterday was in a park. The point of my post was that even those caches considered to be the "lowest common denominator" have value. Sometimes it just takes a change of perspective for us to see it.

... I found one yesterday that I really admired.

El Diablo

Same here a few weeks ago. A micro, hidden in a very accessable spot that brought you to a place where you could get much more out of it than just getting a cache. This cache is in a small town in Colorado that was home to coal miners. There was quite a tribute to them with sculptures, a memory wall, and several items that were mining related for those times on display. Had it not been for that micro, I may not have ever been brought to that area. Anything bigger than a micro wouldn't have worked.

Coal Miner

That is a fantastic story! TFS!

My grandmother, who will be 80 in May, loves to cache with me. She's fairly healthy but can't do any far hiking. The ones that aren't a far walk or pretty urban are perfect for her. I took her out a week or so ago & she had a blast. She is tickled just to get out of the house & see things that she hasn't seen before & go places she's never been.

Difficulty and size have absolutely nothing to do with it.

That's not what the women folk say ... ;)

Perception vs reality! Age old dilemma that certainly applies to the uninspired and unimaginative Wally World lamp post skirt micro hides. Some people look at the hiding place and see lame micro. Myself on the other hand look at the hiding place and see dangerous and threat filled adventure ... For instance, somehow you must reach the cache site from your vehicle (or present location) without sustaining injury. The threat involves shopping carts being propelled at you by the anxious overachiever whose late for an appointment. Also, don't forget the soccer mom in the minivan whose backing out of the parking spot, kids yelling and screaming from the inside of her vehicle, baby wailing from the car seat and all she can think about is getting the hell home so she can turn the animals lose. If you get in her way, you're toast. And don't forget the old geezers behind the wheel driving in the parking lot. They may be going slow, but they can barely see past the steering wheel, so get in their way and they will run you down just the same. So in a lot of places, the Wally World lamp post skirt micro can be the most dangerous cache of the day.

I think the biggest problem we are all talking about is the needless connection between lame and micro...it is an unfortunate side-effect of micro-sized cache containers that they easier to hide in high-traffic areas...I think that this is what leads to people feeling that they can (and thus should) place them anywhere...a lame hiding area is a lame hiding area, regardless of the size of the cache container...I've found lame caches that were housed in ammo cans, and awesome caches that were so tiny I had to bring my own writing implement and just had space to wire a very teeny "nfa" and the date.

Please excuse the stream of consciousness writing...just my thoughts between classes...bye

jamie

I don't know if it's been done yet, but a person could probably hide a larger cache than a micro under a lamp skirt. I was going to hide an ammo can cache in the woods by a Wallyworld parkinglot with all the trash but haven't done it yet.

The point isn't that it's a micro. The point is that it's uncreative. Well at least to me. I think a cache should either be creative, fun to hunt, lead you to a new an interesting area, or be a challenge. Who ever thought of the first Wal-Mart cache had a creative idea. Those that followed are just the same old.

There were 4 light pole caches within a half of a mile of one another. I ask you, just how challenging can it be to find a cache hid in a one foot square area? I also understand that there are people that like to find any cache no matter what it is. I find no fault with that. It's just I don't enjoy them.

El Diablo

I have to agree, lampskirt caches and other uncreative caches do get old after awhile.

Here is one of my latest caches, Wally World P n' G?!? , hidden in the parking area of Wal Mart... but it's not a lampskirt cache. :huh: I know there have been a couple of DNF's, but they have not been posted ;):tired:;)

Edited by medic208

If you ever decide to visit lovely NWPennsylvania stop by and check out my tribute to Uncle Wally and the ever loved micro.

He Man Micro Haters Club initiation cache - AKA Uncle Wallys backyard adventure

Yeah, baby! Now there's a Wallyworld cache worth doing! I never woulda guessed that right behind all that mess was an area so beautiful. I kept thinking to myself, "Ya know, if I had to work here, this is the spot I'd escape to whenever I had a lunch break..."

El Diablo

I agree with you. After finding my first two lamppost micros and guardrail micros, I lost all interest in finding any more of them. However, speaking here for a moment as a scientist, I must admit that you and I are in a distinct minority, as, according to modern neuropsychology and anthropology, the simple reality is that over 95% of humans cannot be at peace unless they have communed intimately with every lamppost in every parking lot they pass, and with every guard rail which they pass in their travels. Perceptual and behavioral psychologists, neurologists, psychobiologists and anthropologists alike all tell us that the folks who place parking lot micros are simply acting on a deep ancient instinct, and are really only trying to give themselvs and all their fellow geocachers an excuse to bond intimately with every lamppost and guard rail within ten miles.

So, the hiders and those who seek these parking lot caches are just acting on a deep and primitive instinct hard-wired into the human brain (well, hardwired into about 95.382% of human brains.) An anthropologist friend recently told me that this instinct is very much related -- in fact, eerily similar -- to the need of dogs to sniff the base of every fire hydrant and lamppost, and then to urinate on each one after sniffing, and the need of cats to present their rear end to your face when they wake up in the morning. A neuropsychologist friend explained to me that this thing of placing (or seeking) caches in such locations is therefore really a compulsive behavior, literally a biological and instinctive addiction, and that many people cannot resist it.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I have yet to see a lamp post or Wal-mart parking lot micro, it must not be a Michigan thing, thank god. I pray I never see one near here.

I too live in a currently Wally World micro free zone. However, as sure as death and taxes, my area as well as yours will get them in the future when some knucklehead goes out of town and finds a few, and decides that it is a "great idea" that must be copied back home ;)

I remember my first lightpole micro. It was hidden by a well-respected local cacher and wasn't in a store parking lot. Frankly, it took me a few minutes to make the find. It was fun.

Since then, I've found many of these and my interest in them has waned. That being said, sometimes, I'm out and about with a few minutes to spare and I'll notice that a cache is nearby. The fact that the cache might be hidden in a lightpole base doesn't temper my fun.

In fact, there have been many times in the last few years since my accident that I have been very thankful for lightpole caches. They have allowed me to stay connected with geocaching during a time when I was completely unable to log anything but a drive-up cache.

For those of you who have hidden these lightpole caches, Thank you very, very much. You will never know how much I have appreciated them.

The first time I found a cache like that, it wasn't in a Wal-Mart parking lot, but in a park. It was cool, never knew those skirts lifted up.

Of course, now it is the first place I check if a cache is in a parking lot. Sometimes its not there, but often enough.....

Anyways, if any of y'all are in the Plano Texas area you can check out my Just Another Wal-Mart Micro ;)

Only if y'all have permission to hide it on private property (which I seriously doubt).

One of my local Wal-marts has three (yes, three) parking lot micros all in the same lot :)

I know Wal-Mart is a huge store, but the parking lot is THAT big? I thought each cache had to be at least 528 ft. apart or it gets rejected by the reviewer.

This one is bigger than a micro, though not quite an ammo can:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e8-96bb4a81536b

Edited by hairymon

El Diablo

I agree with you. After finding my first two lamppost micros and guardrail micros, I lost all interest in finding any more of them. However, speaking here for a moment as a scientist, I must admit that you and I are in a distinct minority, as, according to modern neuropsychology and anthropology, the simple reality is that over 99% of humans cannot be at peace unless they have communed intimately with every lamppost in every parking lot they pass, and with every guard rail which they pass in their travels. Perceptual and behavioral psychologists, neurologists, psychobiologists and anthropologists alike all tell us that the folks who place parking lot micros are simply acting on a deep ancient instinct, and are really only trying to give themselvs and all their fellow geocachers an excuse to bond intimately with every lamppost and guard rail within ten miles. So, the hiders and those who seek these parknig lot caches are just acting on a deep and primitive instinct hard-wired into the human brain (well, hardwired into about 95.382% of human brains.) An anthropologist friend recently told me that this instinct is very much related -- in fact, eerily similar -- to the need of dogs to sniff the base of every fire hydrant and lamppost, and then to urinate on each one after sniffing, and the need of cats to present their rear end to your face when they wake up in the morning. A neuropsychologist friend explained to me that this thing of placing (or seeking) caches in such locations is therefore really a compulsive behavior, literally a biological and instinctive addiction, that many people cannot resist it.

I was just telling my wife this exact thing the other day!

El Diablo

I like lame micros. Even the wally world kind. If I have an extra 30-60 minutes I will go finds a couple lame micros as a distraction to daily life. :)

I do not insult those that place them, they feel they are doing good things. I will not insult them by insinuating they aren't. :)

I growl at those that fail to see the positive side of lame micros. :)

I like lame micros. Even the wally world kind. If I have an extra 30-60 minutes I will go finds a couple lame micros as a distraction to daily life.

So, you're saying that in order to be a distraction to daily life it has to be a lame cache? You can't get satisfaction from a decent cache?

I like lame micros. Even the wally world kind. If I have an extra 30-60 minutes I will go finds a couple lame micros as a distraction to daily life.

So, you're saying that in order to be a distraction to daily life it has to be a lame cache? You can't get satisfaction from a decent cache?

I must be missing something. A lame micro is a decent cache. Someone made thier best effort and put it there for people to find it.

I must be missing something. A lame micro is a decent cache. Someone made thier best effort and put it there for people to find it.

What makes you think it was their best effort? It could have been just the lack of caring or just wanting to put up numbers. Or it could be that people keep hunting them and therefore they think it's a good cache.

El Diablo

I have yet to see a lamp post or Wal-mart parking lot micro, it must not be a Michigan thing, thank god. I pray I never see one near here.

I too live in a currently Wally World micro free zone. However, as sure as death and taxes, my area as well as yours will get them in the future when some knucklehead goes out of town and finds a few, and decides that it is a "great idea" that must be copied back home :)

I sure hope not, most of the cachers I know in my area are good about placing quality hides. First sign of a "wally world" cache I see it's going on the ignore list, I'm not wasting my time with that kinda garbage.