Credit For Helping?

scavok

Probably not, but I would like to ask anyway. I just posted a reply to another thread where someone was having problems solving a puzzle to find a cache. I didn't solve it yet, just replied...

But anyway, it brought up a question.

Hypothetically speaking (typing) if I were to solve a puzzle that enabled another cacher to find the cache do I get to count it as a find? Considering I did half the work (or more depending on the puzzle) and the person who 'found' it wouldn't have done so without my help, does that person get to claim the find simply because they were able to sign their name in the logbook?

Its not like I'm desperate to get my numbers up or anything so don't start yelling, its just a question :rolleyes:

You get to log it if you go to wherever the cache is and put your name in the logbook.

I know of a series that requires you and a partner in a "twin city" (in this case Aberdeen, MD and Aberdeen, WA) to work together to find the cache. In this case you both get to log it, but there's a cache in each spot that needs to be found.

Edited by robert

You can always post a note proclaiming your contribution. You probably don't want to log a find unless you have physically visited the cache and signed the log.

In our area, there are cachers (well, notably one fizzymagic) who'll post a note claiming "FTS" (First To Solve) on puzzles. It's a "battle of wits" based on an honor system, and no one has a problem with that, since he'll fix puzzles for you if it's broken without asking for favors in return. :rolleyes:

So, Does this mean it has to logged as a DNF ??

Nope, "DNS". Did not seek. :rolleyes:

budd-rdc gave good advice: "You can always post a note proclaiming your contribution. You probably don't want to log a find unless you have physically visited the cache and signed the log."

No need to log a DNF if you never looked for it and only solved the puzzle.

:blink:

just as a reply to the comments about just going through cache pages and solving puzzles to claim finds... I was meaning more along the lines of me living in Colorado and solving a puzzle cache in Chicago. Then I give the answer to a friend-cacher who lives in chicago to go and find it, then the friend is the only one who gets to claim the find? Even if there was more work in solving the puzzle than getting the park-n-grab result?

I'm not arguing though, I like the idea of posting a note at least stating my contribution.

just as a reply to the comments about just going through cache pages and solving puzzles to claim finds... I was meaning more along the lines of me living in Colorado and solving a puzzle cache in Chicago. Then I give the answer to a friend-cacher who lives in chicago to go and find it, then the friend is the only one who gets to claim the find? Even if there was more work in solving the puzzle than getting the park-n-grab result?

Correct. You didn't find the cache, you solved the puzzle. You can't log a find on the puzzle.

:)

I'm not arguing though, I like the idea of posting a note at least stating my contribution.

The good news is that if you ever get to Chicago, you would be able to find the cache and sign the log. Then, you could claim your find.