How Long For A Listing To Be Reviewed?

Team Oodi

This is not a complaint, just need to adjust my expectations.

I listed Green It Is on 3/18/2006. How long does it usually take for a new listing to be reviewed? Somehow I had 72 hours or less in mind. But obviously this isn't so. I know this is done by volunteers, so I am NOT asking that someone jump right now to do it. But I'd like to know what kind of time period I should exepct for this and future listings.

Also, I really like to scout out my cache locations first, and get accurate coordinates. Then build the container and create the listing. Once the listing is reviewed and approved I'd like to get out there and place the container. Is that workable?

5 Min to 7 Days depending on the fullness of time, the moon phase, vacations, real life and a myriad of other factors.

After 7 days it's time to start wondering.

The first place to check when you do start to wonder is the cache page itself. Reviewers will post a note if there is a question about the cache. Rookies often don't see that note (though they should get an email about it automaticly) If there is one answer the questions or make the change and contact the reviewer via the means they indicate.

Edited by Renegade Knight

This is not a complaint, just need to adjust my expectations.

I listed Green It Is on 3/18/2006. How long does it usually take for a new listing to be reviewed? Somehow I had 72 hours or less in mind. But obviously this isn't so. I know this is done by volunteers, so I am NOT asking that someone jump right now to do it. But I'd like to know what kind of time period I should exepct for this and future listings.

Also, I really like to scout out my cache locations first, and get accurate coordinates. Then build the container and create the listing. Once the listing is reviewed and approved I'd like to get out there and place the container. Is that workable?

Depends on how busy the reviewers in your area are. Plus depending on where you cache is, they may do some further research to make sure it fits within the guidelines. Such as, if there is a multi in the area it may take longer for them to verify that you aren't within .1 miles of any of the parts of it.

If you are requesting approval before placing the cache, make sure that "Yes, this cache is currently active." is NOT selected (I believe it is selected by default)

If you have no reason to believe your cache will not be approved I think it is ok to place it as you ask for approval. you could always move it if you needed to, depends on how much work you put into 'building' your containers and effort required to move it.

I think the more detail you can provide them about it, the faster it is likely to get approved. The two I've placed were approved within about a day, so sometimes it can be quick.

Hello Oodi

The reviewers for that area have been pretty busy lately, took a look at your cache page, this guideline may or may not be holding it up:

From the guidelines:Your cache should be in place and ready to hunt at the time your cache page is submitted for review. If for any reason it is not ready, please either disable your cache page so that it won’t be seen by the reviewer until ready, or include a “note to reviewer” to explain your special circumstances (for example, waiting for a permit from a land manager).

You may want to add a note as to why it is not placed yet.

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

Please don't submit a cache for approval until it is actually in place. If you list before placing, it's quite likely that the cache will get approved and someone will try hunting it before you get a chance to go out and hide it.

Edited by Stunod

I left a note with the listing stating that the container will be placed after the cache has been approved. Either way I expect to be placing the container this weekend. In this case it is not a big deal as the cache is easily accessible.

It's been a while since I placed caches. Back then the approval was quite speedy, a matter of hours. Now I know that I shouldn't be concerned unless it takes well over a week to see a response to my listing.

Ok, I get it...

"Your cache should be in place and ready to hunt at the time your cache page is submitted for review. If for any reason it is not ready, please either disable your cache page so that it won’t be seen by the reviewer until ready, or include a “note to reviewer” to explain your special circumstances (for example, waiting for a permit from a land manager)."

I shall get the cache placed and wait...

Edited by Oodi

Please don't submit a cache for approval until it is actually in place. If you list before placing, it's quite likely that the cache will get approved and someone will try hunting it before you get a chance to go out and hide it.

Yup! I learned that first hand. The first cache I submitted waited for almost 2 weeks, then It got rejected because he said it was on military property. It wasn't. I exchanged Emails with the approver explaining this, but never got any response, so I gave up. Even though I still think the cache did not violate the guideline that was quoted, I can see how the reviewer might think that from looking on maps and not have time to go look at the actual location.

The second cache I listed waited a week with no response. After a gentle email from me, and 2 more days of waiting, I got a reviewer question posted and an email. I answered the question and waited for several more days with no response. I sent another email, but stil no response. After a while I gave up and took the cache back. Then suddenly, it was approved and I had 4 or 5 emails and logs asking if it was missing before I even knew it had finally been approved!

I disabled the cache temporarily, planning to put it back soon. But then some of the emails I got indicated that people thought they had to enter through my neighbors back yard to get to it, even though it clearly stated in the description where to enter from.

So I archived it, because I didn't want people entering from that other direction and disturbing private property owners.

I'll chalk this all up to experience. I know the reviewers have a lot to do, and dealing with noobs like me placing caches that might not handle the high traffic is one of them...

I'm still determined to place larger, better swag caches. But now I know how hard it is to find a good place for that in the city. It would be so easy to place yet another micro in some lame spot... I gotta get creative.

how can one become a reviewer? I notice that my american friends have at least 2 reviewers for Michigan and we have a person from Quebec reviewing caches in Ontario. I would be interested in becoming a reviewer myself.

:)

Edited by tnt77

how can one become a reviewer? I notice that my american friends have at least 2 reviewers for Michigan and we have a person from Quebec reviewing caches in Ontario. I would be interested in becoming a reviewer myself.

:)

See this thread that's currently active in the Geocaching Topics forum. It's great that the volume of cache placements in Canada has picked up, and that additional Canadian reviewers have been added to the volunteer team of late in order to handle the volume. I know the Quebec geocachers are especially happy now that there is a French-speaking reviewer.

Where I live caches are far and few in between. There are several weeks between new cache placement. I have some cache ideas that I'd like to pursue when snow is gone. Some of these locations are quite a ways out of my way. My concern really is that once the cache is placed and for whatever reason not approved I am expected to retrieve it. That might require a third trip to a remote area in a short period of time for now other reason then to retrieve a cache.

When I look at this from the perspective of a much more active area it makes a lot of sense to require cache placement first. It might just be the fairest way to ensure cache placements are treated first come first serve. I wouldn't be happy if someone else were to "reservere" a great cache location for an extended period of time by having a cache idea approved but nothing there.

Just leaves one question, what would be the proper way to attract reviewer attention to my cache listing once the container has been placed?

In general, caches are reviewed in the order of their GC numbers, regardless of what the "date placed" field says. There are exceptions -- for example, on a busy day a reviewer can skip a complex multicache in order to get five simpler caches published quickly, and then return to the multicache before bedtime.

If two caches are placed within 528 feet of each other by coincidence, the earlier GC number wins. This happens more often than you'd think, as geocachers tend to gravitate towards the same cool areas to hide things. It's especially a problem in cache-dense urban parks.

When you have placed your cache container, add a second reviewer note saying that the cache is now in place and is ready to be published at any time.

Thanks for your patience.