60csx Adding A Via To A Route?

kb9nvh

I could add a via to a route on my garmin V but I cant seem to find that option on my new 60csx.

Anyone know where it went of if its even on this unit???

I'm not certain this is the only way to do it, but what I did was create a couple of waypoints along the route. Then I got a route where I wanted it. The other way is to use Mapsource, routing tool and click the vias as you build the route. That will send "invisible" waypoints to the GPS so it builds the route with the via's you desire.

Edited by dhbaird

Well, I'll try that next time. I'm used to just putting in the destination and having it calculate....and if it takes me the wrong way I would just go in and add a via (with my gps V). I've never had much luck creating a route in mapsource and then actually using it in my gps due to maps being missing and such.

BTW, my 60csx is way way better than my gps V including many features that were not available in the gps V like auto NORT UP at certain zoom levels. Very happy with my upgrade. I did find that the window in my hotel over the weekend completley blocked satelite reception...must be some special coating on the glass???

I could add a via to a route on my garmin V but I cant seem to find that option on my new 60csx.

I'm not certain this is the only way to do it, but what I did was create a couple of waypoints along the route. Then I got a route where I wanted it. The other way is to use Mapsource, routing tool and click the vias as you build the route. That will send "invisible" waypoints to the GPS so it builds the route with the via's you desire.

Edited by kb9nvh

That feature didn't make it into the 60/76C(CS) units either for some reason or other. I think the V is the only handheld that did have it. Someone in their wisdom must have decided that users did not need it. :unsure: There are a couple of other features the V had that I really miss in my 76C. I can't remember what they are but I recall being disappointed when I first got the 76C and found it was without.

Olar

Can you explain in a little more detail what it was you were doing on the GPS V? I ask because I've created several routes with numerous via points on the similar VistaC unit, no computer involved. It's a mode that isn't really described in the documentation, and it may not be what you're looking for - which is why I'm asking. I haven't played around too much with this, as most of the time I can set up routes in Mapsource, which is always easier. BTW, there is a "Select all maps around route" menu option within Mapsource that may help if you're having a problem with that.

Keith

"select maps around routes" I'll look for that..it was really a problem on the way to oklahoma and back as there was no way I could find (while driving) to get it to rout on I70 because it was missing the effingham, IL map square. I think it should have been smart enough to use the basemap for the 15 missing miles of I70.

The VIA options works like this..you choose an endpoint and have it autoroute. When you see that the route is not the one you wanted you go to the "turn" page and then hit menu. You have the option of adding a via to your route here. After you add the via then the route is recalculated and the via is guarenteed to be in the path.

Can you explain in a little more detail what it was you were doing on the GPS V? I ask because I've created several routes with numerous via points on the similar VistaC unit, no computer involved. It's a mode that isn't really described in the documentation, and it may not be what you're looking for - which is why I'm asking. I haven't played around too much with this, as most of the time I can set up routes in Mapsource, which is always easier. BTW, there is a "Select all maps around route" menu option within Mapsource that may help if you're having a problem with that.

Keith

That feature didn't make it into the 60/76C(CS) units either for some reason or other. I think the V is the only handheld that did have it. Someone in their wisdom must have decided that users did not need it. :rolleyes: There are a couple of other features the V had that I really miss in my 76C. I can't remember what they are but I recall being disappointed when I first got the 76C and found it was without.

Olar

The lack of via is one of my only true disappointments on my 76CS too. I am used to using via's with my old GPS puck and Delorme Street Atlas and my laptop. It is more intuitive to say "use route 95" for me than to say, "go here but make certain you stop here" that is required with waypoints. The other tihing I discovered is that if I selected a way point on a divided highway, that unless I was very careful in selecting the correct lane, that my 76CS would start telling me to take u-turns and it would beep all the time trying to get me back to that waypoint... Lacking a via tool is not helpful at all.

Seems like it wouldnt' be that hard for garmin to "put back in" if enough requested it.

That feature didn't make it into the 60/76C(CS) units either for some reason or other. I think the V is the only handheld that did have it. Someone in their wisdom must have decided that users did not need it. :) There are a couple of other features the V had that I really miss in my 76C. I can't remember what they are but I recall being disappointed when I first got the 76C and found it was without.

Olar

The lack of via is one of my only true disappointments on my 76CS too. I am used to using via's with my old GPS puck and Delorme Street Atlas and my laptop. It is more intuitive to say "use route 95" for me than to say, "go here but make certain you stop here" that is required with waypoints. The other tihing I discovered is that if I selected a way point on a divided highway, that unless I was very careful in selecting the correct lane, that my 76CS would start telling me to take u-turns and it would beep all the time trying to get me back to that waypoint... Lacking a via tool is not helpful at all.

Ok, I think I understand what you're looking for better now. With the existing firmware, you can't change the route while navigating (except by driving it). You can add via points to a route, either by clicking on the map or by address, but they only add to the end of the route, so it's harder to add points in the middle of a route. You could (when easier) build a route starting from the destination, add points backwards, and then reverse the route also. This is all things I've been able to do on my VistaC directly (not using Mapsource). It's not quite as powerful as the route editing within Mapsource, but it can be useful, and it's not at all well documented in the manual.

Keith