60csx Battery Type Question

-Oz-

Okay, I was browsing the settings and noticed I can set the battery type to Alkaline or NiMH. The manual says I can do this as well.

I have no idea why. Why would I set the battery type? I definitely run Energizer 2500mAh NiMH batteries but still have it set to alkaline because I'm not sure what changing the type does.

Anyone?

Okay, I was browsing the settings and noticed I can set the battery type to Alkaline or NiMH. The manual says I can do this as well.

I have no idea why. Why would I set the battery type? I definitely run Energizer 2500mAh NiMH batteries but still have it set to alkaline because I'm not sure what changing the type does.

Anyone?

Alkaline batteries are 1.5v X 2= 3v

NiMH batteries are 1.25v X 2= 2.5v

Alkaline batteries lose their power slowely. IE They keep going and going. You get the idea.

NiMH batteries are very strong but they reach a point and poop, there dead.

Im sure they want the meter to represent the current state of charge.

The reason you need to set it to NiMH, is like what just happened to me about a half hour ago. My setting was at Alkaline, for some reason, and I had 3 out of 4 bars on the battery meter, and suddenly during a fast walk, it died suddenly, just a few seconds after the low battery warning, so you will want to change it to NiMH instead of Alkaline, and now I have my problem fixed here, and I tought that the problem was my 60Cx eating batteries because of the latest firmware upgrade.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I will add my own version of your stupid question. :rolleyes:

What do I set it to for lithium ion batteries? I would almost think NiMH might be more accurate since they die in a similar fashion, a quick and painless death.

Anybody?

-jeff

I might be going out on a limb here, but I don't think you'd be using lithium ion AA batteries. Namely b/c they are 3.6 volts. If you mean the energizer lithium batteries (non-rechargable), then probably to the alkaline setting since the both have the same nominal voltage. Not sure if their discharging profiles are entirely the same.

I might be going out on a limb here, but I don't think you'd be using lithium ion AA batteries. Namely b/c they are 3.6 volts. If you mean the energizer lithium batteries (non-rechargable), then probably to the alkaline setting since the both have the same nominal voltage. Not sure if their discharging profiles are entirely the same.

Yes, he's probably referring to the lithium iron disulfide cells such as the Energizers, not lithium ion (although the RCR-V3 lithium ion cells might be a possibility - they're a single cell that's shaped like a pair of AAs).

Note that a number of people have reported problems using the Energizer Li/FeS2 cells in the 60CSx/Cx models. When the cells are brand new the voltage can be a bit too high and the GPS shuts down. Using the cells for a few minutes in any other device drops the voltage enough that it'll then work normally.

I'd put the battery type setting to alkaline but wouldn't rely on the battery meter anyway since these cells hold their voltage almost stable and then drop very suddenly at the end. Better to carry a spare set of cells just in case.