The Correct Pronounciation Of Cache

Sand Storm

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the correct way to say Cache? Is it Cash or Casha, I'm confused.

I agree that it is pronounced as if it were money. But you may find that Down Under it is pronounced with a hard A -- like the A in "face" -- but still one syllable. (Does anyone think this sounds like a Sonic commercial?)

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the correct way to say Cache? Is it Cash or Casha, I'm confused.

I agree that it is pronounced as if it were money. But you may find that Down Under it is pronounced with a hard A -- like the A in "face" -- but still one syllable. (Does anyone think this sounds like a Sonic commercial?)

Well I've also heard it pronouced cash-shae. Which seems to be a more proper way of saying it. -WW

I guess that it just depends on what country you're in. In the U.S. I've always heard it pronounced *cash* even before caching existed. The dictionary says to pronounce it *kash*.

Interestingly, they said the word *cache* on a show that I watched on the History Channel just recently. He pronouced it *cash*. But anyway, they were talking about King Solomon's treasure and the guy said that if someone found it, that it would be the greatest cache ever. Hmmm... :unsure::unsure:

Well I've also heard it pronouced cash-shae. Which seems to be a more proper way of saying it. -WW

I've heard it as ca-shay, but its wrong. In fact there is one local who pronounces it that way all the time and it really bugs me!! I just want to grab him by the neck, shake him and yell ITS CASH! CASH YOU FOOL!

Edited by briansnat

the only pronounciation of it would be kash.

the word everyone gets confused and is more popular pre computer term is cachet. This is the word that is pronounced ka sha.

This word means a mark of distinction.

cache is a store of things and is and always has been said cash.

Saw a program on PBS a few nights ago about the origin of american natives. They discussed finding "kashes" of Clovis spear heads.

cache \"IPB ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kIPB Imagesh)

n.

1. <LI type=a>
    A hiding place used especially for storing provisions. <LI type=a>A place for concealment and safekeeping, as of valuables.
  1. A store of goods or valuables concealed in a hiding place: maintained a cache of food in case of emergencies.
Computer Science. A fast storage buffer in the central processing unit of a computer. Also called cache memory.

ca·chet \"IPB ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kIPB Image-shIPB ImageIPB Image)

n.

A mark or quality, as of distinction, individuality, or authenticity: "Federal courts have a certain cachet which state courts lack" (Christian Science Monitor). A seal on a document, such as a letter.
  1. <LI type=a>
A commemorative design stamped on an envelope to mark a postal or philatelic event. A motto forming part of a postal cancellation. A kind of wafer capsule formerly used by pharmacists for presenting an unpleasant-tasting drug.

Compact Oxford Dictionary

cache

/kash/

• noun 1 a hidden store of things. 2 Computing an auxiliary memory from which high-speed retrieval is possible.

• verb store in a cache.

— ORIGIN French, from cacher ‘to hide’.

On another site you could hear it being spoken and it was like cash

cache

/kash/

• noun 1 a hidden store of things. 2 Computing an auxiliary memory from which high-speed retrieval is possible.

• verb store in a cache.

Did you not read my post? Sheesh. I can't take you anywhere. :rolleyes::blink:

I was actually thinking this today...

I know it is not ka-shay

but is it kash or is it kaYshe?

finding a kash sounds right, but going geo-kashing do not (to my ears)

going geo-kaYshing sounds more better (to me & my mixed up S. Florida to Joisey via N'Awlins ears)

M

Yes, I read your post. You said:

I guess that it just depends on what country you're in. In the U.S. I've always heard it pronounced *cash* even before caching existed. The dictionary says to pronounce it *kash*.

This suggests you pronounce kash in someway different from cash. My dictionary says both cash and cache are pronounced kash.

???

Edited by Thot

cache

/kash/

• verb store in a cache.

Gimme a break I posted before I read your post.

I pronounce it 'KASH', but after looking for a toughy for awhile it is usually preceded by some other word :)

cache

/kash/

• verb store in a cache.

Did you not read my post? Sheesh. I can't take you anywhere. :):)

Gimme a break I posted before I read your post.

Well, get with the program. :):)

In English, as in French, "cache" is indeed pronounced like the English word "cash", with one syllable. The two syllable error "ka-shay" (like the English and French word "cachet"), though, probably comes from a misreading of "cache" as "cache'" -- the French adjective, with an acute accent mark on the "e", which means "hidden," and which is indeed prounounced "ka-shay". The recent movie "Cache'" (with the accent mark) probably added to this confusion.

Then again, I'm from New Joisey, and we seem to have a few more vowel pronunciations than the rest of the country. So, I'm sure I pronounce it differently. (Daughter is not pronounced the same as dotter!) But, cache is pronounced the same as cash. It rhymes with dash. Not the same 'a' sound as fat, though.

cash/cashe/dash WOULD have the same 'a' sound as fat...sort of an 'ah'

I keep wanting to say 'kaysh' like the a in um, 'say'

M

somewhere off exit 153

Like has been said. It's pronouced Kash. The new one that's getting to me and makes me want to respond like BrianSnat is when people say it's a "Mute Point".

No, you don't understand. It's a 'mute point' because there's no reason to talk about it. :huh:

Like has been said. It's pronouced Kash. The new one that's getting to me and makes me want to respond like BrianSnat is when people say it's a "Mute Point".

No, you don't understand. It's a 'mute point' because there's no reason to talk about it. ;)

Originally spelled "moot point" this is one of those phrases that has changed over the course of my lifetime. I hope that this phrase settles down at some point, so that I can use it again. The phrase used to mean that there was plenty of reason to talk about it, but there was a good chance that nothing would be done as a result of the outcome of the debate. I don't use it now because half the people I talk to think it means not worth discussing, and the rest think it means something that can be argued but just for argument's sake. I can't bring myself to spell it "mute point" because that seems to imply it shouldn't even be said!

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-moo1.htm

I can pretty much live with ka-SHAY (like sashay?). What I cannot abide is someone asking...

Did you go Geo-catching today? (especially when the answer is no)

This is the most common mis-pronunciation I hear from other cachers. People at events saying they found the "catch" and what a great "catch" it is.

I've not heard anyone around here say cash-ay.

Jamie

I've not heard anyone around here say cash-ay.

Jamie

but do they say "kayshe"? (like a computer's memory cache) or "kash" (like the money) ?

do we go looking for a kash or a kayshe?

the cachet is in my wife's underwear drawer and smells like roses...

M

You people better stop this! Don't make me come up there!! :laughing:

The voice of reason. It was almost to the point of green eggs and ham. I shall get my map and cap...

Sorry I'm dizzy from the "cash", "ca-shay", "cashe", "heche?"

I pronounce it fun, f-u-n!!!