Confusing Maps In The Olympics

Team Jac'd

So, we are planning a trip around the Olympics for the Easter weekend, finishing up some of the grids out there for the DMC. Taking a look, I was trying to find the best way to get out to Nylund's Grave.

I tried MS Streets and Trips, Mapquest, and Google Maps, and all of them gave me a different response.

If we are thinking about spending the night in or about Forks, and want to go to Cape Alava the next morning, what is the best way to get there? MS says to go up to Seque (think I am spelling that right) on the cost and then back down taking 2 hours. Mapquest says there is a simple way to go between Forks and Cape Alava that takes about an hour. Google says somewhere between the two with a route that takes 1.5 hours.

Help?!

I will admit it has been a long time since I was in that area, but Nylund's Grave is at the north end of the lake and I don't know if there is a road along the east side of the lake. When I was last in that area about 25 years ago you had to go through Sekiu to get there. There may be a forest road from Beaver to Sekiu that would work.

You can't drive to Cape Alava. You drive to the Lake Ozette trail head then hike 4+ miles out to the coast. It's a beautiful hike with boardwalk most of the way. There are even a few grandfathered virtual caches along the way.

Hopefully this link will work. That is the best way to get there from the eastern side of the Sound.

Yup, already planned to take the 101 to Forks, so that was cool. That map seemed to take us from Beaver, WA to Old Royal, WA and then to Ozette, WA. Any chance someone really familiar with that area can give it a once over and let us know if that is a good route?

For last year's WSGA Campout, someone told us that the Liberty-Beehive was a good road, and it took us over 4 hours driving at 20mph to go along it, and the long way around would have only taken 1.5 hours... so any recommendations are more than welcomed here.

Also, any ideas why S&T would not have that route?

cheers,

Poppa J

I've been to Lake Ozette and hiked to Cape Alava or Sand Point nearly a dozen times. Each time I've gone, it's been US-101 to SR-113 to Sekiu and down. It's a longer drive than you think, but it's paved and quick almost the entire way. The hike at the end is the easiest one you'll ever take. I highly recommend you do the full 9 mile loop, tides permitting.

The un-named roads from Beaver to Ozette? If you've got the time, sure, give it a try. But if your goal is the destination and not the journey, take the standard Sekiu route.

Also, any ideas why S&T would not have that route?

If you click the button "More Options" button on the Route pane, on the tab "Segments" you can change the prefered roads selection. This may get it to show the route over the back roads of that area - but then you did mention the Liberty-Beehive route, you sure you want to try another back route in? There are a couple of waterfalls along the main route.

The only advantage I see with the route through Beaver is the proximity to Solduck hot springs. That's a great place to stop after that 9 mile hike that TravisL was talking about.

Or if you're staying in Forks... I was intending to do that with the kids during Spring Break, but it looks like I'm swamped with work, with a Window of Opportunity for me narrowed down between April 4th and 6th...

Edited by shunra

The ocean hikes from Lake Ozette are beautiful! Those boardwalks are treacherous though - if they have the tiniest bit of moisture on them (probably 90%+ of the time). Hiking boots will act like ice skates, so I always wear tennies for that hike. If you're going to do the 9 mile loop hike, I'd bring boots for the beach portion. Those rocks are treacherous for tennies.