Sd Cards? Not Mini!

Does any one know of any GPS Makes and Models that use SD Cards and not micro SD Cards??? I would love to buy a Vista or Legend CX but if a comparable produce uses regular SD cards I may go with that instead since I already have plenty of SD Cards! I am also very new to this and this will be my first true GPS (already have a Forerunner 201 and love it!!) so any suggestions would be supurb!!! Thanks.

yooper1019

Michigan's Amazing Upper Peninsula

Edited by yooper1019

I have a Lowrance H20 color and it uses sd cards. This unit (as most Lowrance units if not all) doesn't use a cable to directly attach to the computer. Rather the sd card is used in a reader to transfer thwe wayponts and maps. For the maps if you use the latest version of Mapcreate (6.3) then you HAVE to use the LEI or lowrance card reader. However earlier versions can use any old sd card reader as can transferring wayponts from GSAK etc

Buying a gps unit based on the fact that you own extra SD memory cards is kinda like choosing to buy a car because you happen to have a set of tires in the garage that will fit it.

As in the car analogy, there are many more important features to consider other than memory format. I would rank features such as sensitivity, available maps, battery life, screen readability, support, etc. as more important in the long run.

Also, if you buy something like a Garmin 60CX for around $400, a 256MB micro-sd card that costs only $20 represents about 5% of the cost of the unit. Purchase a couple of mapping packages and the percentage cost drops further. And you can fit a lot of maps on a 256MB card!

Buying a gps unit based on the fact that you own extra SD memory cards is kinda like choosing to buy a car because you happen to have a set of tires in the garage that will fit it.

As in the car analogy, there are many more important features to consider other than memory format. I would rank features such as sensitivity, available maps, battery life, screen readability, support, etc. as more important in the long run.

Also, if you buy something like a Garmin 60CX for around $400, a 256MB micro-sd card that costs only $20 represents about 5% of the cost of the unit. Purchase a couple of mapping packages and the percentage cost drops further. And you can fit a lot of maps on a 256MB card!

Good point jimby_99. Thanks!

Good point jimby_99. Thanks!

By the way, there are SD cards, MiniSD cards, and MicroSD cards. I know you can get an adapter for the MicroSD so you can plug it into a SD reader slot on you puter. Not sure about that with the MiniSD.

yep. i have one for my cellphone. BTW, i just got a 128mb micro sd card with adapter off ebay for .01cents, plus 14.95 shipping and "handling. Good deal?

yep. i have one for my cellphone. BTW, i just got a 128mb micro sd card with adapter off ebay for .01cents, plus 14.95 shipping and "handling. Good deal?

That's the old ebay seller trick of loading the costs of goods into the shipping costs so they don't have to pay ebay's percentage commission. 15 bucks is about average for a 128mb card.

yooper - you could always go the PDA route - then customize your system exactly as you want it. You'll then be able to use all those SD's you've got. There's something very satisfying about being able to use the same memory cards across different platforms. I made my digital camera choice based on the fact I had lots of CF cards available. You'll quickly get to the point where you're buying 1Gb+ cards then the cost does look significant. Pete.

Edited by freejam