Unlock Code

barger

I just bought a new 60CSx about a month or so ago. I was trying to put some maps on it (with my paw paw's pc..i use macs) and I could not find my unlock code anywhere in the box. Does this model not come with a code to unlock the maps? If it does not then that sucks! you spend hundreds on a unit and no detailed maps.

Answers? Comments?

I just bought a new 60CSx about a month or so ago. I was trying to put some maps on it (with my paw paw's pc..i use macs) and I could not find my unlock code anywhere in the box. Does this model not come with a code to unlock the maps? If it does not then that sucks! you spend hundreds on a unit and no detailed maps.

Answers? Comments?

An "unlock code" is a number supplied with the purchased Map Source software, not the GPSr unit. You will need the GPSr's serial # along with this unlock code supplied with the software in order to install detailed mapping to the GPS unit.

I didn't get any unlock codes with my 60cx. It came with the Trips and Waypoint Manager, and only the base map. Depending on what you want to use it for, there are different maps you can buy. I'm using it mostly for motocycle rides, so I bought it with a automobile value kit which included the City Select maps, cigarette lighter adapter, and a mount. I thought it was a good deal and am very happy with my purchase. On the other hand, if you're going to use it mostly for hiking, hunting, etc, you can buy the topographic maps. Or if you go fishing, there are marine and lake maps you can get. Buy the maps that you need for your purpose.

here's a site that explains how to make your own maps. I haven't tried it.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

-bob

Edited by rpminmn

Answers? Comments?

Did you purchase maps? The 60CSx does not come with detailed maps, they are sold separately. It probably came with a CD called "Trip and Waypoint Manager", but that CD is only to create an interface between your PC and your GPSr to up and download waypoints tracks and routes, and provides drivers for your unit. There are several different map programs to choose from:

1. City Select. Detailed, routable street lever mapping with small map segments.

2. City Navigator. Detailed, routable street lever mapping (same as City Select) with Large map segments.

3. US Topo. Not routable, but contains topographic details of the entire country. Based on USGS 1:100,000 series topo maps

4. Topo 24k National Parks. Provides detailed topographical maps of certain areas. Generally limited to national parks. Based on USGS 1:24,000 topo maps. has routable trails.

There are others, but the above are the most used here.

I purchased the Mapsource Topo s/w and for some reason didn't have to do any sort of unlocking. At least I never saw anything that led me to believe that it happened on its own. Is that normal?

EDIT: Disregard, I just read in the manual that some products ship without requiring that they be unlocked.

-jeff

Edited by thehikingdude

I purchased the Mapsource Topo s/w and for some reason didn't have to do any sort of unlocking. At least I never saw anything that led me to believe that it happened on its own. Is that normal?

EDIT: Disregard, I just read in the manual that some products ship without requiring that they be unlocked.

-jeff

Right! I should have clarified in my first response that only routable street maps (City Select and City Nav.) have to be unlocked.