Why Not Hide A Geocache Or Two?

Milbank

This question is for geocachers that have not hide a cache yet.

Why not hide one or two?

I enjoy hiding them and reading the logs for them just about as much as finding them.

Sometimes my hides are even more enjoyable them some of the finds I have done.

Why not hide one or two?

I enjoy hiding them and reading the logs for them just about as much as finding them.

Because a lot of people will jump on you if you don't spend a long time planning, setting up, and executing your cache. And there's some that, if they don't think it meets their personal standards, will be happy to let you know about it.

There's a lot of people who love to be cache critics. That's pretty intimidating to some people.

Why not hide one or two?

Because a lot of people will jump on you if you don't spend a long time planning, setting up, and executing your cache. And there's some that, if they don't think it meets their personal standards, will be happy to let you know about it.

There's a lot of people who love to be cache critics. That's pretty intimidating to some people.

I'm not sure that statement is true. It's nice to have a good cache that takes you to interesting places, or one that's fun to do. I think as long as you don't just toss one out on the side of the road with today's standards it should be well received.

El Diablo

I'm not sure that statement is true. It's nice to have a good cache that takes you to interesting places, or one that's fun to do. I think as long as you don't just toss one out on the side of the road with today's standards it should be well received.

El Diablo

All I can say is that I considered setting up a cache not long after taking up the hobby. But reading some of the threads and rants about caches that people think suck really dampened my enthusiasm for placing one. I'm still going to do one, but probably not until later this summer.

And I'm not even that concerned about what people think; I'm just not willing to expend effort for someone to come along and bash said effort.

I guess I get a little annoyed when someone asks why more people don't hide caches when all they have to do is read this and the "Getting Started" forum to find plenty of reasons for a newbie who's being diligent and reading up on the topic before leaping in to suddenly think "maybe I shouldn't do this, I don't want to end up being mocked here like all these other hapless people".

Edited by Cyclometh
It's nice to have a good cache that takes you to interesting places, or one that's fun to do. I think as long as you don't just toss one out on the side of the road with today's standards it should be well received.El Diablo

I agree with El Diablo'. I could throw a film canister in a truck stop and call it a cache. That is not why I'm here. I am currently researching my first cache, which is in a state park, and requires me to submit paperwork, and actually stand behind my cache, with all of the enviromental considerations. I believe that is what geocaching should be. I want a cache to take me to an interesting place other than a light post in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I want to either learn something, see something really strange, or have a beautiful view of our exquisit country......Just my thoughts.

El Diablo

All I can say is that I considered setting up a cache not long after taking up the hobby. But reading some of the threads and rants about caches that people think suck really dampened my enthusiasm for placing one. I'm still going to do one, but probably not until later this summer.

And I'm not even that concerned about what people think; I'm just not willing to expend effort for someone to come along and bash said effort.

I guess I get a little annoyed when someone asks why more people don't hide caches when all they have to do is read this and the "Getting Started" forum to find plenty of reasons for a newbie who's being diligent and reading up on the topic before leaping in to suddenly think "maybe I shouldn't do this, I don't want to end up being mocked here like all these other hapless people".

I think you are being a little paranoid. There are very few attacks about caches here. Most attacks are on caches that are placed in areas that they shouldn't be. Yo also have to keep in mind you are dealing with a community of at least a half of a million people. Not everyone is going to like your cache.

Just have fun. Place a cache if you want, but place one that personally makes you proud and I think it will be received well.

El Diablo

It's nice to have a good cache that takes you to interesting places, or one that's fun to do. I think as long as you don't just toss one out on the side of the road with today's standards it should be well received.El Diablo

I agree with El Diablo'. I could throw a film canister in a truck stop and call it a cache. That is not why I'm here. I am currently researching my first cache, which is in a state park, and requires me to submit paperwork, and actually stand behind my cache, with all of the enviromental considerations. I believe that is what geocaching should be. I want a cache to take me to an interesting place other than a light post in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I want to either learn something, see something really strange, or have a beautiful view of our exquisit country......Just my thoughts.

Not everyone who wants to hide their first cache wants to do a lamp-post micro in a Wal-mart parking lot. But a lot of people with what are probably good ideas will never bother trying them out for fear of a negative reaction from the caching community.

Maybe that's not so bad; who knows, it may raise the overall quality of caches. But you can't have it both ways.

I think you are being a little paranoid. There are very few attacks about caches here. Most attacks are on caches that are placed in areas that they shouldn't be. Yo also have to keep in mind you are dealing with a community of at least a half of a million people. Not everyone is going to like your cache.

Just have fun. Place a cache if you want, but place one that personally makes you proud and I think it will be received well.

El Diablo

You and I must not be reading the same threads, then.

Like I said, I really don't care what people think of me or any caches I may place. However, I haven't placed one yet simply because I looked at the forums, did some research and realized that the perceived bar to entry for decent caches was higher than I expected initially. Note that not caring what people think doesn't mean I'm inclined to just put out sucktastic caches. It just means than when I do put one out, I'll feel fine with telling anyone who doesn't like it to pound sand.

With a community like this one, having an intimidation factor like there is (and whether you agree or not, it is there) for new caches and cachers is a fact of life. Asking why more people don't place caches in light of that is kind of disingenous.

Not everyone who wants to hide their first cache wants to do a lamp-post micro in a Wal-mart parking lot. But a lot of people with what are probably good ideas will never bother trying them out for fear of a negative reaction from the caching community.

Maybe that's not so bad; who knows, it may raise the overall quality of caches. But you can't have it both ways.

I see your point, and it is a good one. If a hider has a location that they think someone else might be interested in, by all means, hide it and dadgum the critics.

EDIT: I didn't say "dadgum", I don't even know what that means. The server did it!

Edited by bottlecap

I've placed two and found 85. I had some constructive critisism on my first cache that I placed. I also had a lot of positive comments about the cache as well. The truth of the matter is that those offering both were right. I learned from the first cache and have had nothing but positive comments on my second cache. My intent was to place one for every 25 found. I'm a bit off that ratio because I listened to the cachers that posted about my first cache.

I did not hide my first cache well at all. It was a quality cache in a unique location, but other cachers were concerned that it would get muggled. In hind sight, they were right. It hasn't been muggled, but only because a fellow cacher took the time to hide it better with debis they found in the area.

New cachers that hide their first caches should be open to suggestions! Usually, these suggestions come from experienced cachers and they know what they speak about :tired: I have learned and will continue to learn for a long time.

The OP's encouragement is nice, but the advice doesn't apply universally, especially in my area where cache density has become a problem. It's no longer just a matter of "just" hiding a Geocache or two.

As long as you take the time to consider who the audience is, you should be OK. It's NOT a good idea to go hide a cache when the novelty of Geocaching hasn't worn off yet, since a "cool idea" that you saw today might not be months down the road.

Don't forget that it's not trivial figuring out what most people like and dislike - even professionals (politicians) have that problem. :tired:

El Diablo

Like I said, I really don't care what people think of me or any caches I may place. However, I haven't placed one yet simply because I looked at the forums, did some research and realized that the perceived bar to entry for decent caches was higher than I expected initially. Note that not caring what people think doesn't mean I'm inclined to just put out sucktastic caches. It just means than when I do put one out, I'll feel fine with telling anyone who doesn't like it to pound sand.

With a community like this one, having an intimidation factor like there is (and whether you agree or not, it is there) for new caches and cachers is a fact of life. Asking why more people don't place caches in light of that is kind of disingenous.

Well, I'm new at this but the bug has bitten Big Time.. I've set up a notebook with a list of local site with verious interests and talking to the people in charge to get permission to set up several Caches... I don't see how you could have a bad one.... Some will be better than others I'm sure but just getting involved is what's important to me... I'm into History and Western New York is full of it so that will most likely be my theme for my hides.... I can't wait to get started....

Why not hide one or two?

Its also hard to place a whorthy and decent cache in a area that is dominated with caches. I would love to place caches in the parks around where i live but these areas are already pretty much filled up. I just cant see putting 10 different caches in one small park. I also dont want to place one 50 miles from where I live because then it will be hard to properly take care of the cache in the event something happens.

I helped my Dad set up two caches. He's retired and travels a lot, so I will also be maintaining. He created the caches and I scouted and placed the hides. Both are in local parks. One required permission---easily received with one phone call to the district manager, who is a cacher! I can't understand why anyone would be reluctant because of criticism from other cachers. My worst problem was the lat/long. At one cache, I took three readings and each varied slightly; I returned the next day and took another---again with slight variances. After I studied forum responses to the problem, I averaged them out and added a craftily worded hint. So far, we have about a 80% find first try rate, with most cachers finding on subsequent visits. This is not because of the coordinates, but because my father created some sneaky containers! The other Saturday I innocently stood near one cache and watched as cachers literally put their hand right on the cache---and didn't know it. (The moral being---take nothing for granted!)

On his travels, Dad ran into a series of caches that he really enjoyed and whose concept has intrigued me. A cacher set up a series of caches in small, local museums---the kind most people ignore. (Obviously with the permission of the proper authorities.) Cachers visit, read the info cards to collect numbers to fill out the lat/longs that will eventually lead them to the cache. What a great way to get folks to visit museums that might often only be visited sporadically by school groups. Almost every small town in our area has a historical society with a small museum... So it might be ambitious for my very first cache, but I am going to be contacting the local powers-that-be...

I have found caches that were plastic, lidded bowls sitting at the base of a tree and I have a cache I call my "career cache"---four tries and still no hope. Yeah, maybe the former are pretty simplistic, but they are great for cachers with little ones. I always try to leave kid-friendly loot in them. I certainly criticize no one---I am just grateful someone took the time!

You are confusing reality with the forums. Most of your critics are going to be your local fellow cachers and they are going to be much more diplomatic. And if they are not diplomatic, ignore them. (Or at least take the crisitism in stride and quite worrying so much about the perfect cache placement.)

Edited by BlueDeuce

You are confusing reality with the forums. Most of your critics are going to be your local fellow cachers and they are going to be much more diplomatic. And if they are not diplomatic, ignore them. (Or at least take the crisitism in stride and quite worrying so much about the perfect cache placement.)

Yep! Just go hide a cache or two and see how it turns out.

We will be visiting Olympia in May and/or late June and I know we will like your cache.

There are many reasons why I haven't placed a cache yet. Trying to gain a little more experience with good caches so I my first one will be great; don't have the necessary funding to buy the stuff I need; everytime I think I have a great spot for a cache, someone else beats me to it.

However, the main reason is that I'm going to be moving very soon and don't see the point in setting up a cache and then abandoning it a few weeks/months later. I know I can always contact a local cacher and get it adopted, but what's the fun in that.

I'll be moving the D.C., No VA, So MD area in the next few weeks and will likely have my first hide around 22 June (I'm planning on placing my first cache in honor of my first son who is due around Jun 22.)

Personally, I just don't haven't had the time to maintain one properly. I have a few plans in my head but have yet to execute them due to various time constraints.

Besides, I've got 500 caches inside a 20 mile radius of my house. We're not exactly pressed for options here. I will place a couple at some point, but I'll only do so when I have the time and location to place them as I'd like to. :tired:

In the meantime, I'll just let the evil brew a bit :tired::)

Edited by wandererrob

I tend to agree that some cachers will be less than impressed with your cache regardless of what you do and will be glad to tell you so in the logs. However, most cachers will appreciate your cache and will also be glad to tell you so in the logs.

I have placed one cache since I started caching again in 2004. It's been out for about a year. It's a standard hide in a hollow tree a few hundred feet off of a hiking path in a State Park near my house. I hid this cache because I like finding caches like this. The actual cache location is not a "WOW" kind of place, but the hiking trails along the river provide plenty of beauty on the way. Some cachers have left the standard TNLNSL type logs, but many have truly enjoyed it.

Don't let the nay-sayers bother you. Resign yourself to the fact that you can't please everyone and go for it.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

I have yet to place my first cache, just started in January this year. My excuse is the weather, I'm going to wait until the snow and mud are gone before I place a cache in an area I have already researched. Being in the "great plains" we are not saturated by any means and have many many oppurtunities for caches that may be just plain fun to find, or an exciting hike, or a beautiful vista. I will be looking forward to comments with regard to my first and will use those to help plan my second. With regard to the 23+ that I found I the only negative comment I may have had is that one of them could have had another star or so for terrain. I am pleased that someone has taken the time to hide them, why should I complain. Since we have an abundance of oppurtunities here, parking lot caches are very rare, that being said I do have a DNF in a parking lot, which I probably will not attempt to find. By the same token when caching is congested, it is understandable why caches are hidden in high traffic areas. At least 3 or 4 of my finds were ammo cans sitting under a tree, the fun was getting there, but then I am easy to please. What a great sport. :unsure:

I'll be moving the D.C., No VA, So MD area in the next few weeks and will likely have my first hide around 22 June (I'm planning on placing my first cache in honor of my first son who is due around Jun 22.)

Off topic, welcome to the area.

On topic, hiding a decent cache and getting the logs is a lot of fun!

:unsure:

Why not hide one or two?

That's a big load of codswallop. I have 150+ hides and I can't think of any that have taken much time to plan, set up and execute. Nearly all of them were "Oh, that looks cool spot for a cache" and I put one there. They are all very well received.

Sure, if you hide a leaky container in garbage strewn lot next to a vagrant camp, or stick a film cainster to a 7-Eleven dumpster, some people may be critical. But all you need to to is put a tiny bit of thought into your cache and location and you will have many happy finders.

You and I must not be reading the same threads, then....SNIP ---With a community like this one, having an intimidation factor like there is (and whether you agree or not, it is there) for new caches and cachers is a fact of life

What ARE you talking about? I've been roaming these boards for years and I've rarely seen a thread critical of a specific cache or cache hider. Please post some links so I can see what I've been missing.

Sure, there are some threads complaining about general types of hides (micros are a popular cause for discussion), but even in those threads you'll see half the respondents defending the caches being critiziced.

Edited by briansnat

Yes, please read my siguature line-waaaay V down V there. :unsure:

I have found a few caches, and hidden some myself. I have even posted in the forums a little bit.

I have caches that are critiqued for being too simple, yet others enjoyed the hunt, the smile, and the smiley.

I have a few caches (not many) that have been critiqued for being too hard. One has only been found twice in 2.5 years. :unsure:

None of that will stop me from hiding my next cache when I feel like hiding one. It might even be this weekend.

You shouldn't let what others (except maybe your wife or SO) think of your efforts to have FUN have such an effect on what YOU want to do. It isn't healthy. :lol: and causes angst!

Heck I probably get critiqued more for saying stoopid stuff in the forums than for anything I do out there in real life anyhow. :lol:

Edited by wimseyguy

I think many people don't many hide caches because they don't see the need. They look at their 'nearest' list and note that their are hundreds (or thousands) of caches in their area. When faced with that, its not hard to assume that all the good spots are taken.

Also, while BS (the current one, not the old slacker one :unsure: ) has an eye for good locations, many people don't.

Edited by sbell111

Why not hide one or two?

I can empathize with the cacher that posted about feeling intimidated because he/she had not hidden XX number of caches. I too read the forums and some of the threads about newbies not hiding caches 'because they were going to do it all wrong'. Almost considered not hiding any for a long while.

Then I looked at the paucity of caches in my area; there are 22 within 20 miles of my house - I've found nine of those, five are mine, two are virtuals and six are in Illinois (Add twenty miles of driving by the time I drive into town, across the river and back North again). Somebody had to do something around here!

I spent HOURS reading and looking at pictures of different caches, do's and don'ts and cache descriptions. Ended up with a what I thought was a great first cache, only to have to archive it. GCT5T0

I could have decided that the other forum posters were right, but I decided I had done O.K. Got permission to place it, did a good job on the camo, had some nice items in the ammo box, location was on a beautiful hike in the woods . . . just turned out the Park Super. really didn't have the authority to give the permission for that location. You'd think the Park Super. would know!? Other than transposed digits in my posting, I got good comments from the one and only geocacher.

I've since hidden five more and overall have gotten good comments on them. Biggest gripe has been that both of the rest area caches GCTBF9

GCTE9Q should be 'Park & Grabs'. But, when you look at the experience of the cachers that have had problems with them, they are relatively inexperienced. Cachers with more experience have found them right away. The northbound cache is clearly visible from the parking lot. :unsure: Otherwise, I've had a lot of positive comments on my caches.

Sooooo . . . do some research. Try to find someplace with something unique for the cachers going after it; scenery, history, etc. Try to come up with a fun or challenging angle. E-mail cachers in other parts of the country and see if they are willing to share ideas. I've read about some folks with great hides and asked if they would share ideas with a new geocacher in SE Missouri. I've had very positive replies. There's a lot of nice folks out there!

JohnTee

Edited by JohnTee

Hey, if you're willing to disregard the opinions of a number of people who have practical experience in this matter that's your right.

I rest my case.

This is exactly the attitude I've been referring to all along. You're not even trying to engender it, but it's there.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing or a good thing, but it's a fact. The attitude of those who have been doing this longer is that they know better. Maybe you're right. But nobody should be surprised when a relatively new cacher isn't inclined to place their own or never bothers to try.

Edited by Cyclometh

We placed our first cache this past weekend. We read all of the FAQ's, we studied other folks' cache pages, and we read the advice given here in these forums. Armed with that we found a hiding place, created a cache container, loaded it up, hid it, and created our cache page.

Here is the result: Stoneridge :unsure:

My take...hide one and let the experienced cachers/critics offer their opinions. Take it as constructive criticism, retain what you agree with, and use it to make improvement to your game. :unsure:

By the same token, should I run across somebody who offers an opinion that is more mean-spirited than constructive I'll feel free to flame them right back...or ignore them, depending on the mood I'm in that day. :lol:

I want to say "time" is the reason, but I think if you have time to do any finding, you have time to do hiding, so I won't say that.

My main reason has been fear of publishing the wrong coordinates. My original GPS (the Whistler Galileo, my avatar), doesn't do averaging and only shows in DD MM SS.S (though I'm good at converting back and forth) and I'm not sure the Lowrance IFinder GO (my current caching GPS) does averaging either and can't really afford another GPS (or certainly a more expensive unit that will do averaging even if I sell these two for one). Maybe using 2 GPSr's to get the coordinates will improve the accuracy for the hide somehow though and induce me to hide.

Just looking to think of a good place to hide is another reason, I live in a very populated area and there's lots and lots and lots of caches around. But interestingly enough, none in the city I live in, even though it is one of the bigger places in this county and the neighboring municipalities have tons of hides (one is literally a few ft from the border though). So I'm thinking of a good place to put one in my hometown, hopefully by late spring sometime. My wife's hometown (just a few miles away) is actually one of the few other municipalities in this county to lack a hide, so she thought why don't we have a hide in each at the same time. Who knows, stay tuned!

Edited by hairymon

I want to say "time" is the reason, but I think if you have time to do any finding, you have time to do hiding, so I won't say that.

I couldn't disagree more. I can take a few hours on a weekend and go hit up half a dozen caches with my son, or one or two further afield. Placing a cache means spending the time setting it up, which isn't huge. But it also means committing to maintaining that cache, and that may not be so convenient.

There's a big difference between finding and placing a cache in terms of time commitment. Having time to find them doesn't say anything about having time to hide them, unless you mean having time to "fire and forget" a bunch of caches that'll degrade and end up with SBA notes in a few months.

The only thing worse than telling someone you don't know that they should hide a cache is like telling someone you don't know they should have kids.

Sure, there is a life involved in one, but let's focus on the similarities.

- They take time and effort to care for properly. What if the person only has free time once a month? The log needs changed NOW.

- Neglected caches prompt a lot of criticism.

- It's not as fun when you are forced to do it, instead of doing it when your in the mood.

My take is that different folks go caching for different reasons. There are ways to get folks to hide a cache. And foremost... don't get your skivvies tied in a knot when somneone doesn't share your personal values and priorities.

The only thing worse than telling someone you don't know that they should hide a cache is like telling someone you don't know they should have kids.

Sure, there is a life involved in one, but let's focus on the similarities.

- They take time and effort to care for properly. What if the person only has free time once a month? The log needs changed NOW.

- Neglected caches prompt a lot of criticism.

- It's not as fun when you are forced to do it, instead of doing it when your in the mood.

My take is that different folks go caching for different reasons. There are ways to get folks to hide a cache. And foremost... don't get your skivvies tied in a knot when somneone doesn't share your personal values and priorities.

You have to change a kids diaper more than once a month? Oh good lord... what have I gotten myself into!!

For what it's worth, I'm still a newbie, but I was tempted early on to run out there and place a cache, but thought better of it. Instead, I put a personal restriction of finding a minimum of 50 caches of differing types before placing my first. For the caches in my area, I realized I was only seeing a few examples of caches.d I wanted to get a good idea of the different kinds of caches in my area. In doing so, it led me to an important and early relevation--I enjoy caching more when I do the kind of caches I want to do (there's a thread about that somewhere in here).

At 55 found, I've only done a few multi's and two virtuals, but of the traditional caches I've found the range and method of hiding has been pretty diverse. From an APE cache, to the ammo cans, to the old bison tube drilled into a log, a micro in a crowded part of Old Town Alexandria park, to the old magnetic keyholder under a bus stop bench, my experience has shown me a lot of different methods and types.

When I was still at around 20 found, I posted a message to our local yahoo group asking for advice and one of the local caching veterans offered to help me with it and check my coords, etc.. Of course, a more veteran veteran cacher had helped him with his early caches. I would recommend reaching out to your local cachers for advice and help. They're easy to find--they're the ones logged on all the caches near your area.

One place i did look for inspiration here in the forums is in the thread "Coolest cache containers." Have a look there for some great ideas.

In any event, I reached my 50 cache benchmark and I'll be spending a few days here scouting and putting out my first cache. I hope my fellow cachers will enjoy it and give me an needed feedback.

I couldn't disagree more. I can take a few hours on a weekend and go hit up half a dozen caches with my son, or one or two further afield. Placing a cache means spending the time setting it up, which isn't huge. But it also means committing to maintaining that cache, and that may not be so convenient.

There's a big difference between finding and placing a cache in terms of time commitment. Having time to find them doesn't say anything about having time to hide them, unless you mean having time to "fire and forget" a bunch of caches that'll degrade and end up with SBA notes in a few months.

I couldn't disagree more. Well, I guess I could but why would I want to ... Anyways, I spend a lot more time planning out a day of finding caches than I do maintaining the ones I've hidden. The caches I maintain are fairly close to my stomping grounds so it's no big deal to visit them every once in a while.

Sure. But I'm sure that you agree that the commitment to hide a cache is different. If you hide a cache, you have to be willing and able to make a maintenance visit on short notice. You can work finding caches into a busy life, however.

No. I'm saying I spend way more time planning and finding caches than I do hiding and maintaining caches. The commitment may be different but the time factor leans more toward finding caches. But hey, I'm different, slow thinking and generally have a one-track mind ...

Why not hide one or two?

Most of what I could say has been said:

* Newness....I've been at this only a couple of weeks. I will not attempt to place a cache after such a short time without knowing what I'm doing, what the procedures are, or if I'll still be doing this next week. I have a child, a husband, a Girl Scout Troop, other hobbies...a life. This could be something I do for a while, or it could be something I drop after a month. I don't want to commit and then have it be abandoned.

* Inexperience...sorta like the newness, but more cache placement/type specific. I've found 4 caches. Definitely not a good learning curve :unsure: Also, this is the first time I've used a GPS. I want to get a bit more familiar and comfy with it before plotting coordinates for someone to hunt and mistakenly send them into the lake or the nearest fire ant hill.

* Time...with summer coming on that means kid from school, family vacations, band camp, etc. While I may have time to take a glance over the plants nearby, that doesn't mean I have time to gather stuff, find a spot, get permission, then maintain it until well after school starts.

But the first one is the most important. Maybe after a few months, or at least more caches found. But definitely not now :unsure:

Yes I agree.. people tend to be nicer in real life then on any internet forum. I've placed 25 caches now and no one had been critical or nasty. I had two hides when I only had one find!

The local cachers are mostly just happy to have new caches to find. It's only out of towners who don't come by often who have anything very critical to say. The rest of the area cachers know each other and meet up face to face all the time. They can offer each other advice in person if need be.

I've placed 25 caches now and no one had been critical or nasty. I had two hides when I only had one find!

With 150+ hides and several thousand logs between them, I recall one critical log. It was someone who was annoyed that I used a recycled a logbook from a retired cache when I created a new cache. Apparently some FTFers are particular about finding a clean logbook.

As I said earlier, I really don't put a whole lot of thought into most of them. Many times I walk around with a cache without an inkling of where I'm going to put it. The only thing I try to do is make sure there is something appealing about the hiding place. it could be a nice walk, a secluded spot, good view, interesting historic site, or just a cool rock structure. Do this and I sincerely doubt anyone is going to flame you in the logs.

I think some posters are confusing the desire to hide a good or even decent cache with the desire to hde a legendary one. Those do take lots of planning and work. A decent cache can be hidden anywhere with some thought put into it. The caches that get flamed in here are the ones that appear to be tossed out of the car window into the shrubs without any thought other than-hey I hid another one. kewl :unsure:

Edited by wimseyguy

As I said earlier, I really don't put a whole lot of thought into most of them. Many times I walk around with a cache without an inkling of where I'm going to put it. The only thing I try to do is make sure there is something appealing about the hiding place. it could be a nice walk, a secluded spot, good view, interesting historic site, or just a cool rock structure. Do this and I sincerely doubt anyone is going to flame you in the logs.

Indeed, I haven't been at this too long, but every hide I've done has had some thinking done, maybe not a whole lot but the spots were carefully chosen. I've passed on a lot of spots a cache could be placed in, but I didn't because the area was uninteresting, too open, not fun, etc... I carry ready to go containers in my truck, some I still don't know where they are going to be placed at, but they will eventually.

I think like this: when you place a cache, make one you would enjoy finding if you were the seeker.

Edited by Tsmola

I don't think anyone should be peer pressured into placing a cache. At least not for the sake of placing a cache. Not a lame one, not a fair one, not a great one, or even a legendary one.

Wait a minute, you don't have any hides!

Go place a cache.

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

Do it.