Geocaching With A Psp?

Would you buy a Playstation Portable if you could use it for geocaching? From a Slashdot article about Sony's Playstation keynote earlier today:

PSP is their fastest growing format. They're lowering the prices on PSP dev tools, having shipped over thousands worldwide. Internet browser will be a focus, with a Flash functionality. A video camera is also upcoming, for a VOIP videophone/Wifi videophone. He hopes 'communication-based games' also becomes a powerful part of the PSP story. GPS receiver is also upcoming. He's hoping for some geocaching-style games, along with the more obvious uses. The camera and GPS are both going to be coming out in the fall, around late Sept/Early Oct.

It would be interesting to find caches using a PSP, then head over to the nearest Panera and hop on their WiFi to log your finds before heading back out. Along with the regular game, movie, and music functionality, I might be interested...

No, they are to big for me.

I would really love to see a fully functional GPS implemented in the PSP. The beautiful display would be simply amazing and worth the larger form factor.

The PSP could also server as a good size auto-GPS unit.

I'd have to see what the extra GPS hardware would do to form factor.

That would ROCK!

Think of all the cool games they could program. You could download entire "adventures" into it, having to go to certain places at certain times to score, which would cause you to meet up with other people playing the same game... You exchange code words or something and see who can get the most code words by meeting the most other psp cachers...

Then again, I'm sure you could think up something like that with regulare gps's.

hmm...

Still, that would ROCK!

Kiddo has a PSP and when we car cache (it's too fragile for hiking) we export the HTML files through GSAK, load them on to the PSP's memory stick and let him follow along and read us the descriptions/past logs. It actually works really well. GSAK organizes the pages so you can search by different methods from one central home page on the PSP's browser and it looks just like it does in GSAK's preview window.

Kiddo loves it :tired:!

The idea of merging a GPS with a video game could be pretty cool.. imagine a game like "Pacman" where you had to run around your yard to avaoid the ghosts, rather than twiddle a joystick! No longer would video games and couch potatos go hand in hand!

Actually, what might be neat (and probably easier to do) would be to write an app for a PDA which reads your current location, compares it to a cache location, and tells you to go "Right left, straight" etc in order to match up the coords. In that way, special caches could be set up for completely blind folks.

Hmm... lots of possibilities.... but would I go out an buy a PSP just for caching? Probably not.

Actually, what might be neat (and probably easier to do) would be to write an app for a PDA which reads your current location, compares it to a cache location, and tells you to go "Right left, straight" etc in order to match up the coords. In that way, special caches could be set up for completely blind folks.
Do you mean something like this:

Trekker: A GPS system for the Blind and visually impaired

Used like this?

Geocaching: A "Treasured" Experience with GPS

it just seems like too many toys in one tiny machine..

OH! Mind your tongue!

Silence! :)

Hey, if they make the PSP that multi-funstional, I'd consider getting one. The versatility for travelling alone would be worth it. You can already play games, watch movies and check your email on it. It's a little bulky, sure, but much less so than carrying a bag full of miscellaneous devices.