Rhode Island 2006

crake

ANNOUNCING the Rhode Island Icon Contest!

Yes that's right - I hate doing icons, and that's no secret.

So, I am once again offering a XLE silver (I'm only making 25 and XLE's never will be reissued and they are only available as gifts, prizes, awards, or through auction) as a prize for the best icon.

Rules:

1) Submit both 16x16 and 32x32 icons as gifs. The trick with icons is making them look good small, so please submit them actual size.

2) Keep in mind the coin's theme.

3) Entries from cachers in RI get extra credit :huh:

Email your submission to chris@crakephoto.com

Here are my suggestions. Maybe add a date?

ri.gif

ri16.gif

I think the state and country shapes for an icon are ok for easily recognizable states (Texas, California, Michigan, Florida) but some look like CAT scans of tumors or Rorshach tests.

I would go with the Anchor icon.

Edited by 9Key

States should be recognized by accomplishments as well size.

Rhode Island...smallest state to have it's own T.V. show...

remember Providence??? (LOL) B)

And don't forget "Family Guy" set in the fictional twon of Quahog, RI.

And some of the Farley Brothers' movies (Me, Myself and Irene; Something About Mary; etc)

States should be recognized by accomplishments as well size.

Rhode Island...smallest state to have it's own T.V. show...

remember Providence??? (LOL) B)

And don't forget "Family Guy" set in the fictional twon of Quahog, RI.

And some of the Farley Brothers' movies (Me, Myself and Irene; Something About Mary; etc)

Let us not forget the Cowsills and the wonderful influence they had in the development of the T.V. sitcom

The Partridge Family...Maybe a Cowsill Family commemorative coin is in order????

the state flag is an anchor surrounded by stars i think it would look nice to use the anchor and stars as an icon.

I agree, but 32x32 or 16x16 is not a lot of pixels to work with. I tried the anchor +stars & anchor +hope banner and didn't like how they looked. Gold doesn't show up well against white either. I did the anchor by itself so it could have some recognizable detail. I ended up distorting it significantly to maintain detail at 16x16. I'm sure that there are folks better than me at this, but given the limited # of pixels, I chose to go for more detail in the anchor.

I have a question about the icon contest. If you go with an icon that several people submitted the same one of then who wins? Is it the first one that sent it in? The icon I send looks a lot like ones of the ones here.

If I select an actual icon that was submitted there will be a single winner. If I create one, and its different, but similar to the anchor (which I already had as an idea) or other theme that was common amongst there won't be an official winner. But there might be something done for those who played :laughing:

How about an icon that is just a single pixel? RI is small afterall!

This is not an official submission, I bet it has been submitted already anyway, but here is the central design of the flag in 32x32 with minimal clean-up. It's not as bad as it looked in PS, but I still prefer the anchor or boat from the coin.

123abc.gif

My fav thusfar.

<_<

We're a little shy of 1000 coins, but I ordered 1000 anyway to get the custom prefix "RI". So I've kept reservations open for anyone who wishes to still get on the list.

This particular mint seems to have suddenly shifted from a 14-day turn to a 21-day turn. Once I have confirmation on the delivery date I'll start taking formal orders. Right now I'm looking at May 1 for a ship date.

I went out to the store today and bought a crystal ball.

Oh crystal ball... show me the future...

Its hazy... but I begin to see an image... an image of hundreds of small white envelopes filling my living room... boxes full of coins... a hundred yards of thermal printing tape..... and the date is? The date? TELL ME THE DATE YOU STUPID BALL... *CRASH*

Oh well...

I'll ask dog instead.

Bailey - when will these coins ship?

*bark*bark*bark*bark*bark* ... *bark*

May 1st it is!

Of course one of a dozen things can go wrong, but this is my best guess. Oh, and orders are now open.

Btw, those lucky few who got in within minutes of the email got nailed with a nasty shipping charge. I quickly turned off the "feature" in paypal, and refunded the amount. Sorry about that folks.

I received your eMail with the confirmation code

but I have a little problem with the self generated PayPal invoice.

No $4 for international shipping will add to the invoice! <_<

The international fees are added at the time you place the order. When you select shipping method, select International and it'll show up on the next page.

I'm going to scream.

Here's what happened. I set up some shipping profiles for another project and that overrode the single-item shipping script that I was using. When I saw this problem and erased the profile last night it was STILL overriding the shipping charges but this time with $0. Sooooo... now I instructed paypal to allow for its override to be overridden and now the overridee has become the overrider. ;)

Its all good. Please try again!

Oh, and for the 8 people that got caught by this, I canceled your order and sent you email. Please place it again and paypal SHOULD now be calculating the fees correctly.

Here's what happened. I set up some shipping profiles for another project and that overrode the single-item shipping script that I was using. When I saw this problem and erased the profile last night it was STILL overriding the shipping charges but this time with $0. Sooooo... now I instructed paypal to allow for its override to be overridden and now the overridee has become the overrider. ;)

Its all good. Please try again!

All is well that ends well...PayPal'd! ;)

OK - staged shipping has begun.

Also 100 coins are in the process of being activated and bagged for a little trip to New England to be dropped into caches!

Another bunch will be released in various caches throughout the south (thanks to Moosie for helping). Let the tracking begin!

Received my order at 5:49pm last night. The coins look awesome. I like the imitation hard enamel on the flag side. Thanks again Chris!

--Marky

P.S. They arrived 30 minutes after I left for a geocoin unevent. Now I have another reason for an unevent. :laughing: