Ng Topo! Streets & 3d / Garmin Map 60csx Users

You can only upload to garmin GPSr's (waypoints and routes). You can download to NG TOPO! from your GPSr (Waypoints,Tracks & Routes). The update is for the USB interface only.

Also, should fix problems with downloading updated Quads and Streets. The note below is the end result of three days arguing with them that they had a problem. Patience?? I wouldn't even recognize it if I met it face to face on the street!

Our TOPO! developers are going to hopefully release a patch to version 4.2.1 in the next few weeks that should address the issues you are experiencing with the Street Update Feature.

Thank you for your patience.

~Please include all previous correspondence with your reply~

Technical Support

National Geographic Maps

Evergreen, CO

You can only upload to garmin GPSr's (waypoints and routes). You can download to NG TOPO! from your GPSr (Waypoints,Tracks & Routes). The update is for the USB interface only.

Also, should fix problems with downloading updated Quads and Streets. The note below is the end result of three days arguing with them that they had a problem. Patience?? I wouldn't even recognize it if I met it face to face on the street!

Our TOPO! developers are going to hopefully release a patch to version 4.2.1 in the next few weeks that should address the issues you are experiencing with the Street Update Feature.

Thank you for your patience.

~Please include all previous correspondence with your reply~

Technical Support

National Geographic Maps

Evergreen, CO

Ya, this fixed that problem too. I downloaded a mess of street updates and a few quad updates too. I haven't looked at the quad updates yet, but I'm interested in seeing just what that entails.

I don't have the NG software but I see that they have the route of the Pacific Crest Trail. Know of a low cost way I could get the route of the PCT or AT into a Garmin GPSr?

David

You have to have a least one of their state series programs. Then you can download their MapxChange to their program. You convert their tracks to routes that can be downloaded into any GPS.

Just as a followup to my earlier posting about arguing with TOPO ....

After 4.2.2 patch update. They STILL have a problem with the Quads & Streets update !

In my area, when you identify and download an updated quad,all works fine and the quad displayed is the new updated version. However, when you go back to select additional quads to update, you'll notice that the first ones you did still show to need updating. (red dot instead of then being a green dot)

Contacting them again..........

You can find the 4.2.2 update on this Page. It's still labeled version 4.1.5 but it is the new update.

The Map60CSx USB now works (along with other garmin & magellan units too)

THANKS for the notice.

Just as a followup to my earlier posting about arguing with TOPO ....

After 4.2.2 patch update. They STILL have a problem with the Quads & Streets update !

In my area, when you identify and download an updated quad,all works fine and the quad displayed is the new updated version. However, when you go back to select additional quads to update, you'll notice that the first ones you did still show to need updating. (red dot instead of then being a green dot)

Contacting them again..........

I have been loading the quats for CO since I updated yesterday and it mostly works for me, the updated quads are flagged correctly, but the streets are not. It sure is slow and I need a button to select all.

Quads that were downloaded before installing 4.2.2 apparently not recognized as being the newest version (even though they are, and display as such). I just re-downloaded a bunch of (previously downloaded) quads and now 4.2.2 recognizes them.

And,as you have discovered, that same principle DOES NOT apply to streets, no matter which version they are downloaded with.

Yep, you have to do a lot of "Clicking" don't you! Either a "click and drag to select" or a "select all" feature would be great.

Regarding the NG Topo maps, could I buy maps for Ohio on a DVD and

software for my Mac and Palm, and use/see the maps on my Palm while

using a GPSr? Is anyone doing this? How does it work? It seems I

looked into this last year and determined I could not do this with a

Mac and a Palm. Has there been a change?

TOPO still has a problem with recognizing which streets have already been updated, but they are working on it.

Also has anyone noticed that with one of the most recent updates, TOPO can now import/export Wpts and Routes directly in GPX format! Finally!!

You can also indirectly export Tracks.... ....by converting to route before exporting. Then when you get that route into something else,you can convert back to a track to load into your GPSr

Regarding the NG Topo maps, could I buy maps for Ohio on a DVD and

software for my Mac and Palm, and use/see the maps on my Palm while

using a GPSr? Is anyone doing this? How does it work? It seems I

looked into this last year and determined I could not do this with a

Mac and a Palm. Has there been a change?

The versions of NG topo that are now being shipped to dealers include the Mac version of the software. . I also understand the new version of the software also incudes topo 3D

MY version of Topo ca, has an option to load to a pocket PC or PDA

Be aware of a shortcoming of the Pocket TOPO! option. It doesn't allow the transfer of waypoints from the PC to the PDA. This is discussed in this topic. I have had recent correspondence with their tech support people that indicated they have no plans to address the issue, although in the linked thread there is a reference from JohnnyVegas that they may be working on an upgrade. I'll hold on to my $24.95 until they have the upgrade.

I agree that's a big shortcoming with NG Pocket Topo. A sort of way around it for small amounts of caches let's say in a park you intend to hit, is to change the waypoints to text labels. Text labels transfer to your PPC.

First select Waypoint tool. Right click on all the waypoints one at a time and select "Create Text Label". After all the waypoint are done (you'll have long labels at this point) select the Text tool. Then select all the Text labels one at a time and convert to a simple text. I use a,b,c,d etc.

Text labels are transferred to the GPS and will show in the Pocket Topo map. You can select the ntext label as a waypoint and hit "go to". Same result.

Edited by Alan2