Paperless Gps

Frank22

What and how do I get started with paperless geocaching? What do I need to purchase hardware and software wise? For those in this arena, what do you use and how do you like it. The word PDA comes up. I have no idea how to pick one. But I'd like to have about 50 caches' pages in it. Do you need software to download the pages? Is it possible to download a page of caches like you do with the waypoints? Thanks for your help.

Frank, check out this topic from last week about paperless caching. There are lots of topics about it; just use the forum's search tool on the word "paperless." Basically, the cheapest way to get into paperless caching is to buy a cheap Palm on eBay. You then have a choice of programs for the PC and Palm. I use GSAK on the PC to handle cache data and CacheMate on the Palm for viewing the cache data and taking notes. You can also use a PocketPC if you already have one. Hopefully the other topic and the links you find there will get you some more info.

Edited by geognerd

All you need is an inexpensive PDA. You can pick up a Palm M500 or M505 on Ebay for well under $50 and that will work nicely. You can hold hundreds of cache pages on it.

After that all you need is a software package like Cachemate and you're set. Many people also use GSAK in concert with Cachemate, but it isn't necessary (its actually more of a application for advanced users).

Cachemate is only $8 and well worth it. There are free options such as using Spinner and Plucker, but I found them to be cumbersome. Cachemate is easier to use and has more features.

I use an old Palm Vx I got from eBay. I broke mine recently and I just bought another one for $35 including shipping. It holds more caches than you will ever want - I currently have about 700 in mine and it is nowhere near capacity. I'd suggest a hard case for whatever unit you get. (But don't expect it to save your unit when you sit on a lumpy rock with it in your back pocket. :D)

Many folks use Cachemate and others use the Plucker/Spinner combo. Try both and decide which works best for you and which you like the best. Both work well and you will get folks from each camp who love what they use. The only right choice is the one that YOU like best. Whichever way you go you will be happy with paperless caching.

Okay I have loaded check mate into my handsping and loaded some cach sites but I can not figure out how I am to see the clues on the palm.

The other question I have is how do you transfer info from the cash site page to the palm? I have triedt o click on the icon to down load the LOC and gps exchange and I go throught trying to select the program that I want it transfered to but it comes up telling me it can not locate.

I am not very savy when it comes to computers if you can not tell.

Thanks

Look at these links to get an idea of what they will do for you.

http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=Cont...=showpage&pid=1

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/marklent60544...llgcfaq.htm#Tri

http://www.easygps.com

The first link is a good article on going paperless with the Palm. The second one is Markwell's FAQ on how to set up a Pocket Query. The third is a link for EasyGps which is free.

I use a Palm IIIx, Cachemate, EasyGPS and found that this is all I ever needed. There are a lot more programs out there with bells and whistles but I don't think you can go wrong with this approach as a start!

Okay I have loaded check mate into my handsping and loaded some cach sites but I can not figure out how I am to see the clues on the palm.

The other question I have is how do you transfer info from the cash site page to the palm? I have triedt o click on the icon to down load the LOC and gps exchange and I go throught trying to select the program that I want it transfered to but it comes up telling me it can not locate.

I am not very savy when it comes to computers if you can not tell.

Thanks

Your Cachemate comes with a CMConvert program. Start that up, load your GPX files into it, select all,click on "convert" and save. The next time you Hotsync your Palm, the caches will be loaded to it.

Edited by briansnat