Coin Prices

geolands

Well, I did a quick scan at the store that sells geocoins. It is very nice to see that the prices of all the coins on deck are of reasonable price. Now if the store would not charge so much for shipping and "handling".

You know, I haven't sold a coin, nor do I ever plan to, but I could not imagine charging more that 6 bucks for a coin. Please, this is just my opinion. Not trying to start anything here, I just wanted to express my joy about the lower coin prices!!! :D

Well, I did a quick scan at the store that sells geocoins. It is very nice to see that the prices of all the coins on deck are of reasonable price. Now if the store would not charge so much for shipping and "handling".

You know, I haven't sold a coin, nor do I ever plan to, but I could not imagine charging more that 6 bucks for a coin. Please, this is just my opinion. Not trying to start anything here, I just wanted to express my joy about the lower coin prices!!! :D

It Really Depends. Coins have different prices based on many things, number of colors, size, thickness, finish, glow in the dark, tracking/no tracking, edge finish, edge lettering/numbering, cutouts, etc, etc. The list is long.

Coins can cost up to $10 + each and still be a good value, IMHO.

What Nielsenc said is true, there are a lot of factors.

I've seen very few coins that are worth $10, though.

For $10, it needs to have some type of WOW factor, more than just a lot of colors, reeded edges, etc.

I've seen a lot of coins that have a lot of "features" but the design itself is clip-art looking and really drags down the look and overall desire for the coin.

edit: typo

Edited by kealia

For example, this year's Compass Rose Geocoins have the WOW factor, and even with custom etchings, I paid less than $7 each. :D (that's FINAL cost, including shipping and fees)

I thank people for exercising cost controls, whether by keeping overhead low, or by organizing group purchases. :blink:

Edited by budd-rdc

Just as a note, most makers will charge you less per coin if you buy in higher quantity...

I paid less than $6/CR 2006 by pre-ordering in bulk w/ 3 friends...

500 of my custom, personal coins is about $5 a coin - any extra I charge will be for postage and paypal fees. I'm taking care of envelopes/labels out of my own pocket.

:D

I see what you guys are saying. Guess I'm just a cheapskate suffering from sticker shock. :D

I like wow factors, but sometimes I find it hard to pay $10 for a coin with a generic gc.com back. (not referring to any particular coin). Or that much for a non geocaching related coin.

Thanks for showing me the light!

I think cost is also relative to where the coin comes from. I am interested to have a trackable coin and sell some of them so I can have a better price per unit. Looks like a production of 250 units gets the cost per coin at around $5.00 each.

But as a Canadian I am at a disadvantage. When I will receive them I will have to pay 15% for the taxes. An Canada post rates are fairly high. For a parcel under 100 grams it cost $1.78 to ship to the US. And between 100 and 200 grams it is $3.00. Add PayPal fees and envelops and my cost for the coin with shipping is around $8.00 at a minimum. :tired:

Another way to get the price down on the shipping and handling costs at the geocoinstore is to get some friends together and make one purchase of 10 coins. This will drop the per coin shipping in handling down to 0.58 per coin from $3.13. That's a lot more reasonable. :tired:

--Marky

But as a Canadian I am at a disadvantage. When I will receive them I will have to pay 15% for the taxes. An Canada post rates are fairly high. For a parcel under 100 grams it cost $1.78 to ship to the US. And between 100 and 200 grams it is $3.00. Add PayPal fees and envelops and my cost for the coin with shipping is around $8.00 at a minimum. :tired:

One thing we did for the Ontario Coin was to ship to two locations. We had all Canadian orders shipped directly from Hong Kong to Jamie on Ottawa, them he broke them out and mailed to Canadian only from there. We had

all the US and European coins shipped directly to Georgia where we disperesed from here. This saved postage and the 15% VAT.