Category Proposal: Old Churches

This would be any church 150 or more years old. To qualify the current building would have to be 150 years old, not some church rebuilt over an old site. If the building was formerly a church but is now used as something else, a home perhaps, it would also qualify, as long as it’s at least 150 years old.

As far as I know, there's no distance limit since you're not really looking for something hidden. If you're on a Waymarking page (as opposed to a cache page), you'll see a photo of the church ahead of time anyway, so nothing to really "find" - just something that might be of interest to folks.

I like this idea as well. However I would like to suggest that the requirement be dropped down to 100 or 125 years. The reason is this. I live in the west. Much of the west’s history (modern) is barely 150 years old as it is. Oregon has only been a State for 147 years. Yes there are a few here that would meet the 150 year old break but you would be missing out on some great structures and history. For example one of the oldest churches in Salem Oregon wouldn't make the 150 year cut at 134 years old but it is a wonderful and exciting building and with its monstrous spire is still the tallest structure in the capitol of of our state. http://www.salemoregon.com/tallestbuilding...distchurch.html

I've been thinking about what The Bean Team said, and I'm inclined to agree. My main reason for wanting the Old Churches category is to see some cool old architecture and to hear about some great old history. I initially was going to propose churches over 200 years old, but that would actually leave out the St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans. If that's left out, the only churches to make it would be in the northeast.

So let's revise the category. Should we limit it to churches that are at least 100 years old (which would in time incorporate more churches), or should we limit it to churches that were built prior to 1900?

I like the prior to 1900 limitation. It makes it easier to determine. Though I like the aging 150 years, I have a couple I was going to have to wait a year for them to get mature enough :)

For the person questioning the .1 mile limitation, that does not exist in Waymarking. You mark them where they are. There are many waymarks categories that will have waymarks that may be very close to each other.

I like this idea as well. However I would like to suggest that the requirement be dropped down to 100 or 125 years. The reason is this. I live in the west. Much of the west’s history (modern) is barely 150 years old as it is. Oregon has only been a State for 147 years. Yes there are a few here that would meet the 150 year old break but you would be missing out on some great structures and history. For example one of the oldest churches in Salem Oregon wouldn't make the 150 year cut at 134 years old but it is a wonderful and exciting building and with its monstrous spire is still the tallest structure in the capitol of of our state. http://www.salemoregon.com/tallestbuilding...distchurch.html

I agree. When I saw this thread I thought the same thing, because I'm from the NW as well. In my area in Central Washington, we have only recently had a couple of churches turn 100, and that has been a big thing for us. :lol:

So let's revise the category. Should we limit it to churches that are at least 100 years old (which would in time incorporate more churches), or should we limit it to churches that were built prior to 1900?

Having been raised in Oregon and then having moved to New England, my definition of "old church" has changed drastically!! :grin: I've attended services in the oldest, continually used house of worship in the United States, and worked at the second church built in Boston.

Then, again, I've visited churches in other countries that make these seem like contemporary! South America, Europe, Asia!! Let's remember we are an international hobby.

Mayber we should have regional definitions of "old."

Also, it is not always easy to determine the date of a church's construction.

And, what is the definition of "church?" Are we to assume this means Christian church (Catholic and Protestant)? What about Abbeys, Monasteries and Convents, Seminaries etc.? Mosques, Jewish Temples, Buddhist Temples, etc. belong in other categories? As variables?

There is already a general category topic of houses of worship. Some categories are denominatioal (and we might assume others will be added) -- can we cross list an old church with another category? I assuem so.

Anyway, I'd definitely submit waymarks for this category -- many within walking distance of my home, and dozens all over New England!! They are cool and have lots of history to tell.

And, what is the definition of "church?" Are we to assume this means Christian church (Catholic and Protestant)? What about Abbeys, Monasteries and Convents, Seminaries etc.? Mosques, Jewish Temples, Buddhist Temples, etc. belong in other categories? As variables?

I want to see the architecture and hear the history of old churches, i.e. places of worship, definitely NOT limited to Christian churches and definitely NOT limited to the U.S. It doesn't even have to be a currently-functioning church. I do think the pre-1900 limit would be a good one. As you stated, there's already a category for places of worship. Presumably the point of that category is to located places to worship. The point of this category is more along the lines of history and architecture.

As for abbeys, monasteries, convents, I'm interested in those, too. Perhaps that would be a good subcategory.