Travel Bugs Vs. Geocoins

geocaching4life

which one is less expensive?

1. Travel Bug

or

2. Geocoins

Need Some Help Picking Out which one to use.??? :D

Hmm. I think they're about the same expense-wise. Both cost about $5-10 for each trackable sent out. Getting your own signature coins is a big outlay and a lot of work! For some of us its worth it. :-) I have a dozen Gypsy coins out wandering the world (plus a handful of other trackable coins) and about nine travel bugs. They all move well and are having fun adventures. But I think Travel Bugs can have cooler adventures because they have more personality and can have really fun and interesting missions. People like to take their pictures more often. But if you have you own coins you can trade for other coins. So really... I'll take both!

Once they suck you in they will have you forever. No really, they are VERY, VERY addictive.

CF30

Coins.... :unsure: must have coins... :lol: Addictive you say? :lol: What makes you say they are addictive? :unsure: Oh yes, they are addictive. I spend my lunch time checking out the sites for cool coins to purchase.

Now, as for TB vs Coin... The TB tag is cheaper. It's the item that you attach it to that may push the price beyond that of the cost of the coin. My thought is that the TB will be only as expensive as I want it to be, and the price of the coin will be determined by how badly I want it and how much I'm willing to spend. Maybe the question should be, which one is best for travelling? Most likely to stay "on the road" and not disappear into a collectors hand?

There are a couple lower priced trackable geocoins out there that are close to comparable to TBs in cost

www.genericgeocoin.com

www.worldgeocoins.com

both can even be attached to another item like a tb tag can (both have at least one hole)

Until there are more geocoins out there, I think that TBs have a better chance of travelling. But I hope that more geocoins get out there travelling.

Travel bugs also get a more interesting variety of logs and pictures, too. Coin logs tend to be "Thanks for the coin!" with, maybe, a picture of a coin... just lying there. Depending on what type of trinket you attach to a bug tag, though, you might see it in some interesting or funny poses in pictures that people include with their logs.

There are geocachers out there who play by the rule and respect the game... And there are crooks armed with GPS's taking all that shine. I will never waste my money on a geocoin again...

I agree. My coins have a very high lost rate. But I do with the coins as I do with the TBs. I find a different coin such as a good luck piece etc. and make a laminate tag with the coin # and attach it to the new "coin".

I say on the coin page and on the tag that it is a replacement.