Vermont Geocoin

Tharagleb

We are not pepared to take orders yet. This is just a pre-announcement.

A lot of decisions have not been made yet, like what metal(s).

Here is what I believe I know so far:

Run of 500 1000 coins, own icon, gc.com trackable, epoxy coated, diamond cut edge.

This is the intended design (revised):

116386885_798547c3af.jpg

Edited by Tharagleb

It is a small state. :-)

Goal is to get a Vermont state coin out there like all the other (big) states. I am willing to hear suggestions on mintage size. Since I am paying on my CC I would like to keep cost down. Or is that not a problem if I take paypal pre-orders? My wife thinks this is a scheme wherein I will lose hundreds of dollars.

Edited by Tharagleb
My wife thinks this is a scheme wherein I will lose hundreds of dollars.

....mine too.

I do belive for organizations a 1000 coin minimum is required:

From the pinned policy:

"2. There is a 1,000 number minimum purchase required for Organizations and a 500 number minimum purchase required for Personal Geocoins. (Note that some of the coin manufacturers listed below have purchased blocks of numbers for resale in smaller quantities). These numbers may be split between coins but each individual coin design must be approved prior to production. "

Not sure what you've got worked out already. Has everything been approved through Bryan @gc.com?

Edited by Team Laxson

I think it looks great!!! I can't wait!

I think that if you mint 1000, you will surely sell all of them, and would be able to pay the CC bills, even the interest charged due to waiting until you have the money, and still clear enough to distribute 50-100 in caches around VT without paying for those ones.

Jamie

Mint 800 to 1000 an you'll have no trouble selling them if they are reasonably priced at $8 per coin or less. As the price climbs, it will be harder to sell.

Don't forget your artwork must have "tackable at geocaching.com" near the serial number area.

Nice artwork!

My wife thinks this is a scheme wherein I will lose hundreds of dollars.

....mine too.

Not sure what you've got worked out already. Has everything been approved through Bryan @gc.com?

No, not yet. Working with my supplier right now. This is just a heads-up.

Looking forward to it. Just a note that you will need to add the wording "trackable on geocaching.com" to it before it will be approved by the folks at Groundspeak.

And the ® next to the Groundspeak logo.

Agree with the others, if this is the Vermont coin, please mint at least 1000.

Thanks!

nielsenc

Hadn't thought about the fact you were using the Groundspeak logo. Not sure you will be able to submit it as it. They have rules about not modifying their logo. I think they also require that the coins be sold at cost if you use their logo. The regulations change frequently though, so that may not be the most current info. Just be prepared that when you send it to Bryan for approval, he may require some modifications to your design.

Oh, and I agree 1000 should be your minimum.

Well, I am jazzed to see Vermont with a coin. It is one of the few (ok, two) states that I've cached in, and I enjoyed it very much. I'm looking forward to going back. I like the design very much. Can't wait until they are available.

Edit: typo

Edited by FluteFace

Nice.

Mind if we ask about who is involved in the production of the coin?

Meaning was this a Vermont group effort or an individual effort.

I'll refrain from using the word "official" as it gets some people's panties in a bunch.

My guess is that it's a group effort, but wanted to check.

Nice.

Mind if we ask about who is involved in the production of the coin?

Meaning was this a Vermont group effort or an individual effort.

I'll refrain from using the word "official" as it gets some people's panties in a bunch.

My guess is that it's a group effort, but wanted to check.

This is coming from VAGUE (Vermont Area Geocachers United Everywhere), we are a loose knit group. The VAGUE design is from our web page at www.geovague.org. The person who designed the coin is the webmaster there. I provided some input to the coin design as I originated the idea of the coin and am backing it's production. It's about as official as you can get here.

A state coin with the backing of the state geocaching group (VAGUE) being lead by someone who actually lives and caches in the state. A COIN THAT DESERVES SUPPORT Since I spend 3 weeks in Vermont every year and do a good bit of caching there, its a coin I really look forward to!

I have cut way back on buying geocoins--just too many lately and too many where the main motive is profit. The Vermont coin looks like an effort to have a state coin, not make some money. THATS GREAT.

When the Delaware coin was made, we had very little local sales (although 70 coins were saved for putting in caches) and had no problem selling out. Making 1000 coins would give tracking numbers starting with VT (or what ever you want) instead of the PC numbers.

Yes, I had orginally intended 500, because I am new at this. If you read the top of this forum you will see where everyone told me 500 was too few. The coins will be reasonably priced. I also like the fact that we can get "VT" prefix.

Edited by Tharagleb

Lovely coin for a lovely state!

Excuse my ignorance, but what does GC86 stand for?

Thank you,

I betcha that was the first cache in Vermont, which also makes it one of the first 100 caches ever placed!

Yeah but the real kicker is a New Yorker placed the first cache in Vermont.