Maps

Where is the best place to download the Garmin maps for etrex from??

Unfortunately you need to get a MapSource CD with maps on it. Then you download the areas you want from your PC.

There are a few places on Ebay selling maps, MetroGuide will probably be your best option for the mapping software. There is a thread round here somewhere called something like 'before i buy'.

Edited by Geo-Kate

Unfortunately you need to get a MapSource CD with maps on it. Then you download the areas you want from your PC.

There are a few places on Ebay selling maps, MetroGuide will probably be your best option for the mapping software. There is a thread round here somewhere called something like 'before i buy'.

Once you've bought Mapsource get free contour maps for UK here.

http://www.smc.org.uk/contour_maps2.htm

Dave

I have it now it is the etrex vista cx. Don't really want to spend another £140 on TOPO map cd, any idea what other choices I have?

What kind of maps do you want? Does your unit support auto routing, and if so, will you want to use it?

Topo maps are the only maps from garmin that have detailed 'geographical' coverage, i.e. relief, detailed lakes and rivers, trig points footpaths etc. Other map products like metro guide or city select only have road detail, and very basic river/lake coverage. Not much use for walking off road, although it does allow for good referencing, seeing your position relative to roads.

As mentioned before, once you have a map installed, you can 'overlay' free countour maps.

The cheapest option will probaly be a second hand or (*cough* backup) version of metro guide from ebay.

GK

I received the unit yesterday so all I have on it at the moment is the EU basemap and I got mapsource trip and waypoint manager and I just wanted something more detailed. I think that maybe I would like to have more detail than just roads. If it is going to be a lot quicker and easier then I might just buy the mapsource TOPO cd!

SO are you saying that I can only overlay free topo maps if I first get something like metroguide?

Also are these the topo maps from from www.smc.org.uk or are there other places to get them?

I am a newbie to all this so you'll have to forgive me!!

I received the unit yesterday so all I have on it at the moment is the EU basemap and I got mapsource trip and waypoint manager and I just wanted something more detailed. I think that maybe I would like to have more detail than just roads. If it is going to be a lot quicker and easier then I might just buy the mapsource TOPO cd!

SO are you saying that I can only overlay free topo maps if I first get something like metroguide?

Also are these the topo maps from from www.smc.org.uk or are there other places to get them?

I am a newbie to all this so you'll have to forgive me!!

I just posted a reply to this, but I think it disappeared into the Ether... :)

I forgot what I said! Oh, the contour maps are from SMC as you say. You need MapSource to view and upload the maps, and you can dowload MapSource from garmin.com. However, it says you need an existing MapSource product for it to work, I don't know why.

If you do want the extra detail on paths and relief, then I would recommend the Topo DVD. It is rather expensive, though. You can preview the maps yourself on garmin.com, but the topo maps do look better on the device, compared with the PC! As the Topo maps are more detailed, only a smaller area can be dowloaded to your device. I can most of Kent and Greater London with routing data to my 56mb unit. You can chose not to send routing data if you are not using your device as a sat nav for routing on roads.

If you want some screen examples, I can send them to you. I have taken some pics with my camera, but don't know how to get them on here without a URL link to them.

Please let me know if you need any more help

GK

Thanks for the reply but more questions for you I'm afraid....

Does the Mapsource Trip and Waypoint manager count as a mapsource product? If so I tried to download one of the contour maps this morning, following the instructions on SMC. But when I did this it altered the registry settings for the Mapsource Trip and Waypoint manager program and stopped it working and I then had to reinstall it....totally confused...might just buy the CD!!

Thanks for the reply but more questions for you I'm afraid....

Does the Mapsource Trip and Waypoint manager count as a mapsource product? If so I tried to download one of the contour maps this morning, following the instructions on SMC. But when I did this it altered the registry settings for the Mapsource Trip and Waypoint manager program and stopped it working and I then had to reinstall it....totally confused...might just buy the CD!!

I had the same problem.

Did you install the the files into c:\program files\garmin (where garmin software is installed) or into c:\garmin? You need to craete the garmin folder in c:\ and then create a countours folder to put the files into. I tried putting the files into the garmin folder that already existed and had exactly the same problem.

I have a mapping GPS and never use the mapping function, real OS Digital maps are far better with far more data on them than the new Garmin Topo maps. I must say though that the SMC contours are lovely and are free

But they can't be installed onto a Garmin. You need another device to use the maps. That either renders the Garmin useless or you ahve to carry 2 things around connected by a lead.

Its a compromise, but isn't everything?

I have a mapping GPS and never use the mapping function, real OS Digital maps are far better with far more data on them than the new Garmin Topo maps. I must say though that the SMC contours are lovely and are free

But they can't be installed onto a Garmin. You need another device to use the maps. That either renders the Garmin useless or you ahve to carry 2 things around connected by a lead.

Yes they can (on my B&W Etrex Vista), but the screen looks rather cluttered and it gets difficult to tell which are roads and which are contour lines. Great for in the hills though. Not sure how much better it would look on the Cx.

This is true but for a little more than the cost of the V2 Topo, I have OS Digital mapping of all the UK, on a PDA with a SiRF III Bluetooth GPS connecting them, plus Cachemate giving me total paper free caching

This is true but for a little more than the cost of the V2 Topo, I have OS Digital mapping of all the UK, on a PDA with a SiRF III Bluetooth GPS connecting them, plus Cachemate giving me total paper free caching

Sorry about the bad quoting earlier, I was of course refering to OS maps, not SMC contours...

i have thought about going down a similar route with PDAs, but what worries me is the lack of robustness.

I like using GPSrs like the etrex or 60 series as they are water tight and rugged. Should the heavens open or if you fall on a muddy bank, GPS in hand, I wouldn't fancy the chances of a PDA being too happy with it all. I know if I drop mine in a river or lake or pond, it will float and be happy as larry :)

Hi its possible to make your own maps and load them onto gps.

i use a garmin etrex lengend c and have no problems doing this.

If you would like more info message me at geocaching.com

Paul

Just wanted to thank you Dino-Irl, followed your instructions for the contour maps to the letter as instructed and worked first time!!

I can't take the credit for writing the instructions (those are from wildlifewriter) but as I pointed you in the correct direction I'll say "You're Welcome!" anyway ;)