Walker Bay Walkabout

Goofster

Seems there is a lot of interest in doing a team cache hunt in the Walker Bay / Hermanus area, so I'll get the ball rolling on this one (seeing as how I suggested it!)

I'm easy on dates, but looking at either Saturday 1 April (will we get fooled looking for caches?) or Saturday 8 April, depending on which is the most popular.

Suggested meeting point is Engen False Bay 1-Stop (N2, outbound) where it will be safe to leave vehicles.

Suggested meeting time 7:30 a.m. for 8:00 a.m. departure (can be earlier if needed).

I can carry 3 passengers comfortably. First come, first served! ;)

(Will post a list of target caches shortly)

Edited by Goofster

I'm also happy with April 1st, so that's 2 votes! Caches in the Walker Bay area that I want to tackle are:

GC23CA Danger Bay (2/3)

GCQWTW The Great Escape (3/1)

GCR0FG Westcliff Wander (2/3)

GCMX96 Clairvaux/Hermanus (2/2)

GCQ7ZD Hoy’s Koppie (2/2.5)

GCN0PP Walker Bay Vista (2/2)

GCH74X Lemoen Kop (2.5/2)

GCTM7H Lost Waterfall (3/3)

Time and energy permitting, some of the following caches could be bagged on the way back:

GCRKWT Weired (1.5/1.5)

GCR9CK Sea View (2/2)

GCR7GW Shangri-La (3/3)

GCMR1D Sandslide (2/3)

GCTHCJ Rooiels (2/2)

GCQWBH Steenbras View (1.5/2)

These exclude the ones I own or have already found.

On a slightly different note, I’m considering buying a 29MHz CB radio for my cachemobile. Do any of the local 4x4 enthusiasts out there have one of these? They’re great for communicating in convoy.

I'm on my way down to the sea on the 31st March - and want to fit in a few caches on my visit to the Cape - and I've done most of the caches on your list Goofster!

I want to invite someone (or sometwo) on a hunt for the 2nd or 3rd April - Unfortunately have a job to do on the 1st - a marriage to be solemnized (what a lucky guy!)

Would like to meet some of the intrepid cachers that side of the Country - any takers?!

Wolkynou

On a slightly different note, I’m considering buying a 29MHz CB radio for my cachemobile. Do any of the local 4x4 enthusiasts out there have one of these? They’re great for communicating in convoy.

:)

Sorry, Can not make any of the dates. We are leaving 1st for the Garden rout and be back on 09th.

Perdix, we are comming your way, so maybe meet up for a breakfast.

Goofster, I can help you with a 29MHz radio, I am a dealer in 4x4 equipment and accesories.

Marius

8th April is looking a less likely date for me, so I'm gonna put a stake in the ground and say the walkabout is going to take place this coming Saturday, 1st April - no jokes! Whoever is free to join is welcome to do so.

Marius - will be in touch regarding the radio - need information on licensing, which I see is required for the 29Mhz units.

As for the quaffing of beers, something might happen this week - I think the CITO steercom should meet at Forries. Larks - day? time? Perhaps we can invite guests as well? Of course, Wolkynou can schedule something for the weekend as well . . .

For all those who missed this trip (and there were many) it was a good one. I was running on four hours of sleep but we still managed to log 8 caches in the area!!!! Thanks Goofster for bringing me to another great spot in SA. :D

Now, someone ought to reward you with a weekend house in one of those towns. :laughing: