I Need Help Selecting A Gps

This past year, I wanted to buy a cheap GPS unit which was mainly to be used for hunting and such. So, I wound up buying the Magellan Explorist 100 mainly due to it's low cost. Well... this unit stinks. I can't begin to tell you how bad the accuracy was with this unit, and how many times it would either lose signal or just wouldn't acquire a satellite lock, and how completely unhelpful Magellan's customer service is.

So with this in mind, I'm looking for a GPS with the following features:

1) Accuracy - Most important feature of unit

2) Never loses signal/satellite lock - a close second. But, I think this and accuracy probably go hand in hand.

3) Reasonably easy to use.

Now, based on my reviews of various models I have come up with 2 models which I think will do the trick. But if there are any others, please suggest them. NOTE: I do not and will not purchase any Magellan product no matter how good they may be, since I have had a horrific experience with them already.

The models I have selected are:

1) Lowrance Ifinder Hunt C - Lowrance's customer service suggested this based on my needs, hunter friendly icons, and the units accuracy. Plus, they seemed extremely nice.

2) Garmin GPSMAP 60 Series (any of them) - Garmin's customer service mentioned that the external, protruding antenna will aid in accuracy, plus the unit is extremely versatile. But, they did warn me that under heavy tree cover, accuracy will be diminished.

What do you think? Thanks.

David

What kind of accuracy are you expecting to get? with most GPSr the best you are going to get is about 20-30 feet.

What accuracy did you get with the Explorist 100?

How long was the Explorist turned on for?

What map datum was it set to?

2) Never loses signal/satellite lock - a close second. But, I think this and accuracy probably go hand in hand.

Never loses a signal, This is a feature you will never see. They can lose a signal from time to time, it's just the way it is. What kind of an area were you when the 100 lost the signal and how were you carring it?

Reasonably easy, what is easy to one person may not be easy to another one.

Well the GPSmap60 is not going to easier to use the the explorist 100, The Explosrist 100 is one of the most basic GPSr made. As you add features like Map displays they become a little more complicated.

As far as the Lowarance I Finder hunt, Again, it will be more compicated than the Explorist 100.

Just moving around in open/slightly not open terrain I'm getting 9-12ft accuracy on average with my 60csx. Thats pretty good IMHO.

As said above, not possible. But, the new sirf chips in the garmin X units (76c_x and 60c_x) help the gps keep a lock where older gpsrs could not. Mine keeps a lock in my house and without a problem in my car. It even gives ~50ft accurracy on the 2nd floor of a 6 story concrete parking garage.

I will say this. The 60csx had a bit of a learning curve to it. Granted it didn't take me long to make it work but some of the more advanced features have taken awhile to figure out. There is a lot of help available and the easy features are easy to use.

But, they did warn me that under heavy tree cover, accuracy will be diminished.

I think this happens with all GPSrs. Some just get no reception under heavy tree cover so a loss in accuracy is better than a loss in signal.

The catch to the 60csx and 60cx is they're a tad bit expensive. I got mine from gps discount with the auto navigation kit for ~$540 which was a good deal since the gpsr costs ~$500 and the kit should cost another $140.

I'll give Lowrance a good recommendation, I use one and it is an excellent unit. They have good antennas, but as said before, they can only go so far. You can get good bang for your buck, there are a lot of features for the price.

i have 2 rino 530's they were great, stepping up from the garmin gps 45 that i had

I'll give Lowrance a good recommendation, I use one and it is an excellent unit. They have good antennas, but as said before, they can only go so far. You can get good bang for your buck, there are a lot of features for the price.

i have 2 rino 530's they were great, stepping up from the garmin gps 45 that i had

You will find that the major concensus is that the Garmin 60Cx and CSx are a very good unit and I see multiple posts every day where someone has purchased one of these units. I traded in an Explorist 210 for the 60CSx and it was like night and day. The CSx is extremely accurate, and while more complex the manual was very detailed and the unit is easy to use. It's not an inexpensive unit but you will be very happy with it. I know that I am

I am a newbie when it comes to gps units, but did a ton of research before I got mine. After all the pros and cons were tallied I ended up with a gpsmap 60c. I found it pretty easy to learn it's functions just with playing around with it for a day or so and love all it's features. To date the only time I lost a signal was when I put it in my pocket so I could retrieve a cache. I turn it on inside my house before I leave & have no problem getting a signal to lock. As far as accuracy, I'm impressed when I'm using it for driving, the turns are right down to the second. I am very happy with mine and if I got the chance to do it all over I would get the same unit. Maybe I would get the one with the sd card :rolleyes: But I have to say even with city select 7 maps loaded I still have room for my caches :blink: Two thumbs up!!

Strange, that 100 should have done you fairly good. I don't think any of the rest of the explorist get any better for reception or accuracy.

Still for your purpose this is what I reccomend.

The Garmin 60CSx or 60Cx or the 76 versions.

Also anything (Garmin, Lowrance, Magellan) that can take an external antanea will hold reception better if you are using that exterma; antanea.

As for accuracy, you won't see much of an improvement unless your first GPS had a problem and you just didn't know to return it.

Case in Point Night Stalker got a 60CS and it was just goofy. You could not follow a pointer in a straight line to a cache in an open field. If we didn't have experiece with other GPSs though we would not know that that was strange behavior since it always got you to the cache...just not the way it should have.

So with this in mind, I'm looking for a GPS with the following features:

For the Lowrance:

1. No better than any other unit, 3 meters, for all GPS units.

2. Not gonna' happen on any unit/ but Lowrance's hold a lock significantly better than comparable units. Rumor has it the new ones (Hunt C included) use a SIRFIII chipset, giving excellent signal locks.

3. As with any sophisticated handheld, your going to see a higher learning curve, it all depends on you. If your VCR is blinking 12:00 right now, either unit (Garmin or Lowrance) is probably going to take some learning. Both units require a computer to transfer data to/ from the units.

Really, you want the unit to fit your needs. Do you need auto-routing for road trips? Instant Garmin selection. Can live without that? Lowrance does the same stuff cheaper.

Compare the Hunt C plus package price to the base unit price of the 60cs. With a Lowrance plus package, you get all you need, with Garmin you must purchase mapping hardware/ software programs separately. See which fits you best.

Let me answer some of your questions:

1) Explorist 100's accuracy - I would get maybe within 50 feet of something in a reasonably open area, little to no tree cover. Once I was in the woods, accuracy was diminished to ~100 ft. Maybe it's me but, I would think in an open area/field, I should be able to have accuracy to within 10 feet.

2) The unit would hang up and no matter where I was, it would not lock onto make a lock onto satellites. The only "temporary" fix was to re-set the unit which meant I lost all of my waypoints. This happened like 4 times.

3)Explorist 100 was sent back to Magellan and supposedly they replaced a board within it, but this did little to fix the accuracy issues.

4) Loss of Signal - I usually would carry the unit in my hand while walking through the woods. It would lose signal/satellite lock anywhere. A typical scenario I would do is: Turn unit on and wait for satellite lock. Do a GOTO to a waypoint. Turn unit off once I was where I wanted to be. Several hours later, repeat process but either to go back out or to a different spot. Some times when I would turn unit back on, it wouldn't acquire a satellite fix. Luckily, on many occasions I would have an idea where I was and would be able to get out without the GPS unit. Some of you mentioned that you have a signal when in a house or garage... the Explorist would NEVER have that.

5)Magellan's customer service is horrible which is why I've chalked this unit up to being a piece of turd and I won't buy another item from them.

6) Easy to Use - the Explorist was VERY easy to use. I am extremely electronically/computer capable, but I don't want a unit that I need to be a genius in astrophysics to use. I think most units wouldn't be too hard to learn.

I hope I answered your questions. I welcome your feedback. Thanks.

David

Thanks for your reply.

It sounds like a bad explorist 100. I have been using an explorist 500 for abut a year now without any of the problems you mention. My first thought was that your problem may have to do with the map datum you have the GPS set to.

I have two older Magellans that have performed well for the past few years, a Meridian gold and a sport track map.

There are people that use the Explorist 100, but most cachers that I know use a GPS the allows to down loading of data directly into the GPS from a computer.

I would think in an open area/field, I should be able to have accuracy to within 10 feet.

Not a consummer grade unit, while you can get acuracy of 10 feet once in a while, but it is not the norm with any GPS made for consummer use.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Not gonna' happen on any unit/ but Lowrance's hold a lock significantly better than comparable units. Rumor has it the new ones (Hunt C included) use a SIRFIII chipset, giving excellent signal locks.

I'm beginning to wonder if that's even true with their entry-level GO series. I always get a lock in the car with my GO on the internal antenna, even when I have it in a cupholder. And today I had the unit completely covered and zipped in my son's jacket pocket as I wanted to use it to see how fast he rides his tricycle without it falling off and breaking, and I was shocked to see that it was holding about 4-6 satellites and giving good readings! That may explain it! :laughing:

If what I've seen is any indication, and this is only on an entry level unit with a basemap and no computer or external antenna connectivity, I'd say try the Hunt C from Lowrance. Though based on the learning curve I had, I'd agree with the statement that it will probably be a little harder to learn than your current Magellan unit.

Edited by hairymon
I would think in an open area/field, I should be able to have accuracy to within 10 feet.

Not a consummer grade unit, while you can get acuracy of 10 feet once in a while, but it is not the norm with any GPS made for consummer use.

My Etrex in an open area usually has an accuracy of about 12 - 20 feet. But Ive seen it go below 10

It sounds like a bad explorist 100. I have been using an explorist 500 for abut a year now without any of the problems you mention.

Like I said, I had spoken with Magellan's customer service and they are not in the least bit interested in being helpful. So, I won't be buying anything else from them.

From the replies that I've seen, Garmin's seem to be more readily used, but the Lowrance seems to acquire and/or hold satellite signal better.

David