Gps And Ipaq H5555

Hi,

I recently discovered Geocaching and want to get involved with it ;) but I don't want to go out and buy a new GPS. I do, however have an IPAQ h5555 and I know that there is a GPS module that you can buy. I was planning on getting one like this one, but im not sure if I can do things like download the points or to just use it overall for geocaching. I was just wondering if I can get some help / advice on this. Thanks for the help!

Edited by jonphamta

Take a look at GPSPassion - They review many different models.

Many Bluetooth GPS models are using a new chip-set from SiRF (SiRF Star III). This chip-set seems to work very well and the sensitivity is very good. I believe the HP Bluetooth GPS is using an _older_ GPS chipset (SiRF Star II).

Garmin also has a Bluetooth GPS, GPS-10. This works well with the iPAQ. Whichever GPS you choose, I would make sure that it outputs NMEA data so you have a choice of other third party applications to use.

Also you may want to download some Geocaching software as well. Here is a selection of a few:

Pocket PC Magazine - Geocaching Software List

If it were me, I would try to find a Bluetooth with the SiRF Star III chipset or use the Garmin GPS 10.

Have fun!

A friend of mine used one of those for about 1 day and then gave up. It's too hard to use the compass and you always have to do something to hold the "puck." I'd spend the $80 on a cheap eTrex and use the iPaq for paperless caching.

Sokratz

Take a look at GPSPassion - They review many different models.

Many Bluetooth GPS models are using a new chip-set from SiRF (SiRF Star III). This chip-set seems to work very well and the sensitivity is very good. I believe the HP Bluetooth GPS is using an _older_ GPS chipset (SiRF Star II).

Garmin also has a Bluetooth GPS, GPS-10. This works well with the iPAQ. Whichever GPS you choose, I would make sure that it outputs NMEA data so you have a choice of other third party applications to use.

Also you may want to download some Geocaching software as well. Here is a selection of a few:

Pocket PC Magazine - Geocaching Software List

If it were me, I would try to find a Bluetooth with the SiRF Star III chipset or use the Garmin GPS 10.

Have fun!

I would definately make sure if you are just buying a new unit that you get one with the sirf3 and wass enabled you can get a signal indoors and under pretty much any tree cover.A couple of great choices are teh bt338 and the oncourse both of which can be had at buygpsnow.com for about $120 shipped.I am using the oncourse with my ipaq 2750 and it works great I have no need for a sperate complete unit and have many nice features at hand.If you are going to do it I would recomend purchasing cachemate for pocket pc it is only $8 but lets you store all the cache information you need and has a gps output to guide you to the cache.

If your PPC comes with a CF and SD slots, I would get a CF GPS like this.. That's what I use (Globalsat BC-337 for CF PPC) in my Ipaq 2215 reserving the SD for memory. That way you carry one uint and do not have to charge the GPS like a separate Bluetooth GPS unit.

Edited by Alan2

I'd second the GlobalSat BT338 option - very good at picking up sats even in buildings. It comes with a belt holder and a 19hr Li-Ion battery. It's WAAS enabled and works perfectly in the glove compartment of the car.

I suspect your biggest choice is what software to use on the PDA - I can highly plug Memory-Map but Fugiwa comes a good second. PDA mapping software knocks the socks off anything that Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance have on their units and the cost of maps is far lower. You can run the software on your PC and download all the cache info then port via ActiveSync.

You can trial the demo software before you buy - so you can make an informed choice. Best of luck. Pete.

I'm also looking at PDA as an option for use with eg. the BT338 or BC-337 (as mentioned above). It might be worth having a look at "OZIExplorer" Map Software as well (has real-time Moving Map option) - you can download the "CE" Version for use with your PDA - there's a free Demo Version that lets you look at how the Moving Map software etc. works (with your own scanned maps) so you can "try before you buy" and you can get a 3-D add on option for your maps - see here.

I'm still seriously considering the Garmin GPSMAP60CSx as well though as has the Compass, Altimeter etc. etc. - although I also reckon that the maps available aren't as good as what you can achieve through the PDA set-up.

Night Parrot - yes I forgot about OZIExplorer that's nice software as well. I went through same thought process considering the high end Garmin as well - I even ordered it once but as it was out of stock I cancelled. I'm glad I did the PDA flexibility is amazing. Memory-Map has altitude as standard - it doesn't have an actual compass - it's better. Click on go to waypoint and a arrow pops up on the screen telling you where to head with distance to go, ETA, heading etc. It'll give an altitude graph and speed trace. All very impressive.

Edited by freejam

Night Parrot - yes I forgot about OZIExplorer that's nice software as well. I went through same thought process considering the high end Garmin as well - I even ordered it once but as it was out of stock I cancelled. I'm glad I did the PDA flexibility is amazing. Memory-Map has altitude as standard - it doesn't have an actual compass - it's better. Click on go to waypoint and a arrow pops up on the screen telling you where to head with distance to go, ETA, heading etc. It'll give an altitude graph and speed trace. All very impressive.

Thanks for your comments freejam - I think the PDA option sounds great actually - I suppose I would need to get a good case for it as I want to use it primarily for hiking. By the way, what sort of PDA are you using and have you got a case for it (what type / brand) ?

Also with the PDA option as you say, maps are better and cheaper + you get to be able to use the PDA for other applications as well. I think I might have talked myself into the PDA option. :(