2 Unique Geocoins Ready For Launch!

nfa

Hi,

Thanks to some help from geocachers in this forum, I am about to release 2 different Geocoins into the wild to travel from cache to cache.

Before they received their gold paint-jobs and geocaching.com geocoin tracking numbers, they were manhole covers...now they're frighteningly large geocoins!!!

The Brobdingnagian Geocoin (LE, Gold) will start its travels in Northern New York State.

The Ginormous Geocoin (LE, Gold) will start its travels in Nevada or Arizona.

Their missions are to move from cache to cache throughout the geocaching world. They are too big to fit into most caches, so please hide them nearby and mention the location in your log so that subsequent visitors will be able to find them (ie - "left it 30 feet north of the cache, under the bush").

Please take pictures of the Brobdingnagian Geocoin (LE, Gold) and the Ginormous Geocoin (LE, Gold) as they move through the world, and upload them to both their pages and the pages of caches they visit.

bigcoin.jpg

Thanks in advance for helping these geocoins move through the geocaching world!!!

Jamie - NFA

I'll be in Vegas April 7-12, and plan to do some caching out in the Red Rocks area and over past Hoover Dam while I'm there (as well as some caches in town, of course... :) ). I'll place it it while I'm there...what do you think homneland security will think of me huffing this thing through the airports between Burlington, VT and Las Vegas, NV? ;)

If you're driving in Northern New York, just make sure that you pay attention to the road, particularly when driving through Canton, NY...just kidding... :)

Jamie

These are actually large travel bugs. I wouldn't consider these coins. They weren't minted. Are you willing to trade? Sell? Can they be collected? I'd put these in the category of Cindy the Cinderblock or Tommy the Tire or the Pay Phone TB.

Sorry to disagree, but...

These are actually geocoins.

I'm not aware of any rules that state that geocoins need to have been minted...lots of geocoins are made by the cachers who place them.

I'm similarly unaware of any rules that state that geocoins have to be traded or sold...many geocoins move from cache to cache as trackable travellers were originally supposed to do.

They cannot be collected as they are activated and have a mission, just like other geocoins that have been activated and have missions are not supposed to be collected.

I would put these in the category of geocoins since unlike Cindy or Tommy or the Pay Phone TB, which are trackable using Travel Bug tags, these are geocoins which are trackable using geocoin tracking numbers.

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

I'll be in Vegas April 7-12, and plan to do some caching out in the Red Rocks area and over past Hoover Dam while I'm there (as well as some caches in town, of course... :D ).

Sweet! I will be in Vegas from the 21st to the 27th on business, including a trip to Kingman, AZ and back. I will be looking for these. Guess I will have to make sure I get a rental car with a large trunk! A watch has been placed on the GC's.

OK, so minting isn't a requirement, they still are not coins. They are painted manhole covers.

I guess that we can agree to disagree on their not being geocoins, although I do agree with you that they are painted manhole covers :D

Jamie

Edited by NFA

I'm not saying you can't do it. You'll notice I left the thread here. I'm just saying you can't fool me! :blink: When I saw the thread pop up and read part way down I expected to see manhole covers painted to look like a coin. But they were just painted plain old gold. Not even a generic G. I guess I was just expecting to see more in the photo. Don't mind me, have your fun. They are, after all, trackable.

Now if you'd painted one to look like say...... the earth, I might have been flattered :D

I'm not saying you can't do it. You'll notice I left the thread here. I'm just saying you can't fool me! :D When I saw the thread pop up and read part way down I expected to see manhole covers painted to look like a coin. But they were just painted plain old gold. Not even a generic G. I guess I was just expecting to see more in the photo. Don't mind me, have your fun. They are, after all, trackable.

Now if you'd painted one to look like say...... the earth, I might have been flattered :blink:

This may come as a shock, but I spend hardly any time thinking about how to fool Groundspeak volunteers... :D

Actually, the "G" (you know, the one with the x marking the spot in the middle) is a cool idea...it will tax my artistic abilities, but may be worth the effort...thanks for the idea!

Jamie

Edited by NFA

So pieces of metal shaped like lampposts, turtles, license plates, clovers, Iowa, Mississippi, bones, ammo cans, balloons, tornadoes and ravens are geocoins? Give me a break.

Don't worry Eartha, if these have true geocoin numbers then I am sure that the $1.50 for each one has been cleared by the acounts recievable department :D and thus should be allowed discussion in the forums.

Please don't try to make any correlation between the word "coin" and the word "geocoin". There is none.

<why is it so hard to type with my tongue in my cheek?>

Too bad my visit to within 4 hours of Hoover Dam will be 1 week prior to the Ginormous geocoin being brought there.

These are actually large travel bugs. I wouldn't consider these coins. They weren't minted. Are you willing to trade? Sell? Can they be collected? I'd put these in the category of Cindy the Cinderblock or Tommy the Tire or the Pay Phone TB.

I think the water meter is the travel bug, the man hole cover is coinage.

OK, so minting isn't a requirement, they still are not coins. They are painted manhole covers.

I guess that we can agree to disagree on their not being geocoins, although I do agree with you that they are painted manhole covers :tired:

Jamie

I'm with Eartha on this but then my Redneck geocoins I'm going to start leaving just to make fun of the whole geocoin thing aren't geocoins either. But I'll put a number on them anyway. Maybe I'll even dremel a dragon (with my lack of artistic talent) on them.

dub2108.jpg

In all seriousness though, is someone going to break their leg or worse somewhere out there, because various holes are exposed??? And man, tax dollars bought those covers, and u can only imagine what they cost us!

In all seriousness, nobody is going to break their leg or suspension falling through an open manhole...these manhole covers were retired when the openings they serviced were expanded to 20" manholes...the taxpayers have already bought their replacements, and these guys were on their way to the dump.

Jamie

I guess that we can agree to disagree on their not being geocoins, although I do agree with you that they are painted manhole covers :unsure:

Jamie

I'm with Eartha on this but then my Redneck geocoins I'm going to start leaving just to make fun of the whole geocoin thing aren't geocoins either. But I'll put a number on them anyway. Maybe I'll even dremel a dragon (with my lack of artistic talent) on them.

dub2108.jpg

Will they be available in stainless steel?? If so put me down for 2 :unsure:

I hope the coins make it up here to Canada! How do you explain that at the border??!?!?!?

I hope the coins make it up here to Canada! How do you explain that at the border??!?!?!?

I got an email request to place the one in upstate ny at the end of a long hike so that it will hang around long enough that a canadian cacher can come down and grab it...I don't think he has to worry to much, but I'll find someplace fun to put it.

Jamie

I've updated the pictures of the Brobdingnagian Geocoin (LE, Gold) and the Ginormous Geocoin (LE, Gold) to reflect their new and improved paintjobs...I'm not much of an artist, but I think they came out ok...

Ginormous

ffd84084-60cc-42c6-b103-01d45a003e0a.jpg

Brobdinagian

d3406bdc-34e8-45a7-8aa1-84572f68aa2e.jpg

They are pictured next to a 30 cal ammo-can for scale, and a leaf is strategically draped across the tracking numbers of each coin...thanks in advance for your help in moving these beasts around the geocaching world.

Jamie - NFA

I've updated the pictures of the Brobdingnagian Geocoin (LE, Gold) and the Ginormous Geocoin (LE, Gold) to reflect their new and improved paintjobs...I'm not much of an artist, but I think they came out ok...

Ginormous

Brobdinagian

They are pictured next to a 30 cal ammo-can for scale, and a leaf is strategically draped across the tracking numbers of each coin...thanks in advance for your help in moving these beasts around the geocaching world.

Jamie - NFA

I just noticed the "gold" edition has a USA Geocoin icon. No problem with that whatsoever, I think it's actually cool. I'm just wondering if you just used a USA Geocoin number for this one. I noticed the other one has the standard PC icon.

Ginormous

Brobdinagian

Jamie - NFA

I just noticed the "gold" edition has a USA Geocoin icon. No problem with that whatsoever, I think it's actually cool. I'm just wondering if you just used a USA Geocoin number for this one. I noticed the other one has the standard PC icon.

Best coin EVER I have found in a cache!

Hmm... looks like a bird, sounds like a bird... :unsure:

Actually it appears these are made in very much a similar fashion to smaller geocoins... http://www.enotes.com/how-products-encyclo...a/manhole-cover

I must admit I would be torn as to what to do if I found this at a cache though. Pretty sure I'd find a way to haul away though! :) Nice paint job, too. ;)

Dhenninger and I hauled it down to JoeFrog's event in Alabama then 'left' it with him. :D