Shipping Coins For Trade Overseas.

Jake - Team A.I.

I went to ship some coins to the UK from the US, and ran into a little snag.

The lady at the postal place (not USPS) told me that coins and currency were not allowed to be mailed to the UK. I read through the rule book she had, and it listed forms of currency. I would consider these to be of a comemorative more than a currency nature.

Am I going to have a problem with this shipping? I can still stop it because they won't forward it to the post office until tomorrow.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

I have mailed about ten to fifteen packages to the UK through the USPS and have never had a problem. I fill out a customs form at the Post Office. I have read on the forums, however, that people who receive the coins are being charged additional money if the value on the coins is above a certain amount.

I went to ship some coins to the UK from the US, and ran into a little snag.

The lady at the postal place (not USPS) told me that coins and currency were not allowed to be mailed to the UK. I read through the rule book she had, and it listed forms of currency. I would consider these to be of a comemorative more than a currency nature.

Am I going to have a problem with this shipping? I can still stop it because they won't forward it to the post office until tomorrow.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

A long time ago, in a thread far, far away, there were suggestions for what to put on the declaration forms. Since then I've used "Token" about 8 times without a problem. Of course, they still ask if it's hazardous or explosive material but I guess they're supposed to do that with all packages they get at the window.

I was told that if the value was over $40 then they'd likely be charged. I listed $20. I put them as Comemorative coins, but I think I call and see if they can change it to game tokens.

Don't declare the "actual value" of the items....that value on the Customs Form is NOT used for Insurance purposes. I routinely have sent geocoins to Germany, Canada, UK and always list the contents as "(1) set of Novelty Tokens" with a declared value of $2 US (even if I'm sending something that is worth $20). Send it Air Letter Post (yes, the padded mailer)....all of my packages have been received and no customs charges were imposed on the recipients. Another tip: use all CAPS on the address label, and DO NOT cover it with tape. Don't ask me why, thats what I was told at the Post Office I go to....have not had one blink of an eye ever since preparing my packages that way.

Ooog!

I recently mailed a coin overseas for the first time ever. The person at the post office didn't ask me anything about it or have me fill out any extra papers. They just slapped postage on the padded envelope for a first class air mail letter and put it in the outgoing bin.

Now I'm hoping it will be delivered without any problems. <crosses fingers>

Edited by Ferreter5

I have sent out maybe 7 or 8 mailers overseas to Europe in the last 3 or 4 months. I package the coins sandwiched between some thin cardboard taped together, tape that inside a good bubble-pack mailer, with all the edges and the flap taped up with 2" wide scotchtape and on the bottom left of the mailer, I write NOVELTY TOKENS.

I take the mailer to the Post Office, they weight the mailer and add air mail postage. I have never had to fill or was even asked to fill a customs form. I have never put a value amount on anything, and so far, all the mailers got to their destinations, and on average, within one week.

The first time I was going to send coins out, I actually showed them to the people at the Post Office and asked all kinds of questions and explained what these things were. The answer they gave me was that these things are classified as tokens, not actual monetary coins.

I was told that if the value was over $40 then they'd likely be charged. I listed $20. I put them as Comemorative coins, but I think I call and see if they can change it to game tokens.

Don't declare the "actual value" of the items....that value on the Customs Form is NOT used for Insurance purposes. I routinely have sent geocoins to Germany, Canada, UK and always list the contents as "(1) set of Novelty Tokens" with a declared value of $2 US (even if I'm sending something that is worth $20). Send it Air Letter Post (yes, the padded mailer)....all of my packages have been received and no customs charges were imposed on the recipients. Another tip: use all CAPS on the address label, and DO NOT cover it with tape. Don't ask me why, thats what I was told at the Post Office I go to....have not had one blink of an eye ever since preparing my packages that way.

I can vouch for what he says as the truth :D. Received my package form JayBee with no problems whatsoever. (Cheers Jaybee :blink: )
I sent about 40 packages of my JungleGarmin coins to international destinations. I marked them all as "play tokens" or "metal tokens". I listed them as "Gift", with a value of $5 each. As far as I am aware there wree no issues with any of these.

Good point JH.....I knew I had forgotten something.....always check the box marked "GIFT".

Another thing to mention here about the Customs Form....the purpose of declaring what the contents are, is so that Customs won't have to open your package and ruin the fine job you've done to protect that precious GeoCoin.

The only other thing that needs to be added here is that if the package is less than 16 oz. You do not need to do a custom's form at all.

Yes, you do (and this may be why you have had some losses). The USPS doesn't require the form, but countries, like the UK specifically, need that form or the package will be held in customs for weeks. So it's best to just always use the form no matter what.

Edited by AtlantaGal

The only other thing that needs to be added here is that if the package is less than 16 oz. You do not need to do a custom's form at all.

Maybe that's why I wasn't asked to fill out any extra paperwork. My receipt from the post office says the package I mailed weighed 2.1 ounces.

That seems kind of light for double bubble-mailers with paper and a coin inside, but what do I know? Time to get out the kitchen scale at home tonight and weigh some coins and packaging.

The USPS doesn't require the form, but countries, like the UK specifically, need that form or the package will be held in customs for weeks. So it's best to just always use the form no matter what.

Do I have to ask for this form specifically at the post office? Is it just called a "customs form"?

You'd think the folks at the post office would be on top of this stuff.

The USPS doesn't require the form, but countries, like the UK specifically, need that form or the package will be held in customs for weeks. So it's best to just always use the form no matter what.

Do I have to ask for this form specifically at the post office? Is it just called a "customs form"?

You'd think the folks at the post office would be on top of this stuff.

They are on top of it, cause they (the US) doesn't require the form. However, it's VERY helpful to know the postal requirements of the country you are shipping TO. And that's where the form is needed.

It's called PS Form 2976 (or the green customs form)

Edited by AtlantaGal

The next time you go to the Post Office just ask them for some extra Forms ...you can have them filled out except the date & signature before you get there. The Customs Form has to be stuck in the lower-left corner of the mailer/envelope....so put that on first, then you will know how much room is left for the address label. Also get some of the blue "Par Avon"? stickers to put on both the front and back of the mailer. This will save you an enormous amount of time at the Post Office, and will keep people like me who are waiting behind you from getting very upset. :D

And like everyone has been saying here, if you are sending something outside the country....whatever it weighs....just put the darned Customs Form on it, for crying out load.

I have been shipping coins from here in Ohio to Germany, Finland, The Netherlands, UK, etc. a lot. I always fill out a customs form (green one like AG said) and put it on the back of the mailer. But, I do actually put down "Collector Coins". Everyone overseas gets there coins quick, but perhaps I should switch to "Collector Tokens". I would hate for anyone overseas to pay big customs fees for coins. As a rule, no matter how many coins are in the package, I never put over $50 for the value. I try and stay around $20, and it seems to work.

Even though my post office is an official USPS outfit, when I ship from my Military PO to make trades I have to fill out one of the small green customs slips because it is coming from Japan into the US or Canada.

I label my packages game tokens. I received packages quicker when they have the customs slips attached and when the packages DO NOT say which country I am in.

They are on top of it, cause they (the US) doesn't require the form. However, it's VERY helpful to know the postal requirements of the country you are shipping TO. And that's where the form is needed.

It's called PS Form 2976 (or the green customs form)

I'm sure the USPS darn well knows all about packages getting hung up in customs offices. It sure would be nice customer service for them to mention that filling out Form 2976 will help avoid delays in getting your overseas package delivered.

To be honest though, I've almost ALWAYS encountered a very pleasant and helpful person behind the counter at the post office when I've had to go there, even during the mad rush of Christmas season. Thumbs up to all the friendly folks who work there. :)

And, thanks again for the low down on the customs form!

From Canada, to mail internationally (including US), you need a green, CN22 customs sticker if the package contains anything other than documents. If the package is over 500 grams, you need the white CN22 sticker and it goes as a "small package" rather than letter mail (and costs a lot more). Not every postal employee understands this as Canadian postal outlets are contracted out to corner stores etc., but if you get a sharp guy behind the counter or go to an actual post office, you will be so informed.

Tracking information costs about $7 extra for Canada, and about $11 extra for international.

Personally, I use the CN22 form for all international geocoin shipments and declare a value of $2.50 per coin to a max of about $20. I call them "GAME TOKENS" in the description field.

The Portuguese Customs are know to be very strict, specially for items coming from the USA. But so far, I've never heard any major problem caused by them to geocachers. Usually, they're declared as "Game Tokens". They're checked by the Customs and passes through.

Only one time, they contacted a geocacher just to find out what it was. He explained them what it was and got them with no payment envolved.

Why don't you go here for your questions: http://www.usps.com/. Anytime you mail outside the US and it's territories you use a custom form. If you mail to a military base outside of the US you use a custom form and you will have to use international rates and mailers for some. I've had packages get to their destination in the UK and Germany in 4 days using international priorty small flat rate mailers. You can put a stuffed padded mailer inside them and they cost the same as long as you can close it. The form 2976 (small green one) is used on small packets and flats. If you are going to mail internationally you ask the clerk for this form and have it filled out before you get to the window, most have them available in the lobby. And if you think you will mail more ask for them. That goes for priorty mailers both international and domestic. If you call your local post office and ask them when would be a good time for you to mail 60 or so padded envelopes they'll tell you when their down times are or have someone on hand to handle the extra load. It makes for a better transaction, remember attitude makes a difference (give them some tude dude and see what goin postal is all about) you be surprised at how easy it is for something going next door to suddenly go across the country before it gets there.

The Portuguese Customs are know to be very strict, specially for items coming from the USA. But so far, I've never heard any major problem caused by them to geocachers. Usually, they're declared as "Game Tokens". They're checked by the Customs and passes through.

Only one time, they contacted a geocacher just to find out what it was. He explained them what it was and got them with no payment envolved.

Yep! I´ve received some Coins Shipped from the States and they are allways labeled "Game Tokens" and their value is alvays 1 or 2 dollars. I´ve send and received coins from Canada and Switzerland and had no troubles with them.

As for the Geocacher that was called to the customs, what Sup3erFM forgot to tell ya was that its was a very heavy package with 30 Coins in it, and, that called their attention.

If you pack the coins between 2 pieces of hard carton (glued or sticked on it) and mail labeled as it was told you should have no problem.

Regards from Portugal

Alberto aka manchanegra

Your flat rate US mailers are really good value for multiple coins - i'd use several of these rather than one big 30 coin package.

Can everyone from europe pack their coins a bit better though- those thin plastic bags are useless need second layerr bubble warap or cardboard the mail rollers really crunch down sometimes,

and everyone

please do not put sticky tape all over the inner bags yuck