Traveling To Nyc In May.

NBJPoppa

Hello, all. The school choir that my eldest daughter (Lt. Mustardseed) is in will be performing in Carnagie Hall towards the end of May. She is traveling with the school, and so all of her arrangements have already been made. I am looking for some suggestions for decent, but not expensive, places to stay, caches to find, and geocaching events to attend.

Presuming that I can get this all arranged, I have every expectation of bringing several Travel Bugs, and some Geocoins, to swap while there.

I have never been to New York City, and don't really have any ideas about where the "good" caching is. I am under the impression that I would NOT want to rent a car in the city, but then I don't know how one would get out caching.

Anyone care to help educate me/lend a hand?

Thanks,

-NBJPoppa

Hello, all. The school choir that my eldest daughter (Lt. Mustardseed) is in will be performing in Carnagie Hall towards the end of May. She is traveling with the school, and so all of her arrangements have already been made. I am looking for some suggestions for decent, but not expensive, places to stay, caches to find, and geocaching events to attend.

Presuming that I can get this all arranged, I have every expectation of bringing several Travel Bugs, and some Geocoins, to swap while there.

I have never been to New York City, and don't really have any ideas about where the "good" caching is. I am under the impression that I would NOT want to rent a car in the city, but then I don't know how one would get out caching.

Thanks,

-NBJPoppa

I stayed at the Wellington a few years ago. It was old but a great location and I considered it to be a safe location as well. I was not into caching then so I can't help you there. NY is super - you'll love it - I suggest you to TKTS in Time Square to get half price tickets to shows.

I stayed at the Wellington a few years ago. It was old but a great location and I considered it to be a safe location as well. I was not into caching then so I can't help you there. NY is super - you'll love it - I suggest you to TKTS in Time Square to get half price tickets to shows.

:laughing: Central park does have some good caches.If you don't have to stay in the city you can consider staying across the Hudson river in New jersey.Hotels would be cheaper and access to city is easy.You would have to rent a car but there a quite a few good caches on the Jersey side of the River.The area is called the Palisades which runs the length of the Hudson up past the George Washington Bridge.Hope you enjoy your visit.

;) Central park does have some good caches.If you don't have to stay in the city you can consider staying across the Hudson river in New jersey.Hotels would be cheaper and access to city is easy.You would have to rent a car but there a quite a few good caches on the Jersey side of the River.The area is called the Palisades which runs the length of the Hudson up past the George Washington Bridge.Hope you enjoy your visit.

Ditto on this option. Cheaper digs, quick access to Manhattan and a lot of great caches with excellent views of NYC.

The area is called the Palisades which runs the length of the Hudson up past the George Washington Bridge.

That reminds me - I still have to find The Giant's Stairs. Who's with me?

I remember that cache. Still one of my favorites.

Now, if you don't want to deal with all those pesky hills you could stay on Long Island and grab some great caches on the East side of NYC. Of course you'll have to deal with the Long Island Expressway. On second thought, you're probably better off just staying in Manhattan. :tired:

hi, i am a cacher who lives in NYC so if you need any help just email me, but i whould suggest not driving in NYC its not a good idea, no one in the city owns a car, but i do suggest you stay in mannhatttan as it will be a little more tourist friendly. there are some chaches in Central park, but in my opion that kind of whimpy, there are normal chaces that happen to be in NYC, there are some other ones in the streets that i have set up on the upper east side there are also so nice micros both in downtown and west side. you of course can find the ones in central park but if you whould like to try some urban caching, i suggest you try to find one of mine or one of the other ones in the city. oh and congradlations to your daughter for performing at carnigie, i only have performed at stienway.

Thanks,

-NBJPoppa

Hiya. Type in an area code like 10017 and see what you come up with. No need for a car when you can take a cab or mass transit. It's easier than you would think.

You could easily spend a nice day searching Central Park and enjoy the challenge of high density muggle caching. I did some when the Gates art project was going on.

I wish I could help you with hotels info. but I live in NJ and hit the city whenever we want.

Carnegie Hall is an amazing place. They are a client of mine and jus being there is an experience you will long remember. Especially seeing you kid on that famous stage.

You only live once, so if you have to pay a bit more to stay in town, do it.

OK, it's getting about tmie to get on that plane!

Over here in the Greater Seattle area we have had two events when TravelingViking came to town. See

USA-Europe TB Swap Meet (GCKWZK) -and-

USA-Europe Travel Bug Swap Meet - Redux (GCR4JC)

So I was wondering if anyone would be interested in as East-West Coast TB Swap Meet to be held somewhere "close" to Carnagie Hall. I know that the kids are staying in the Hilton, but some people are staying in New Jersey, which is where I expect to stay.

Now I'll fess up and tell you that I don't know much about New York City, except that it is big. :) Where

would one hold such an event? Or is there no interest?

Thanks.

Edited by NBJPoppa