Downloading Tracks From Gps

Was under the assumption that this could be done without purchasing a mapping program such as Map Source. I'm I wrong??

Plenty of free programs will work as well so I wouldn't recommend getting MapSource for a GPS 12.

G7toWIN (http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/), EasyGPS, USAPhotoMaps (http://jdmcox.com), and others are all free/donationware and will let you download tracks (and waypoints/routes) from your GPS 12.

Using either a Garmin 12 or etrex(yellow) can you download a saved track (breadcrumbs)? If so how do you do it?

Thanks

Have you tried Garmin's MapSource program? You can download it from their web site.

MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager is free with the C models. It doesn't come with the B&W eTrex models. The download on their Web site is for updates to the program IF you have it installed already. It doesn't install the program if you don't have it.

I am working on a cache that will take the finder off trail for quite some time (following ridgelines, etc). I would like to take my track and make it available from the listing page along with a standard route (collection of waypoints). Will any of the mentioned products/services allow me to do that?

I have a GPS60.

I am working on a cache that will take the finder off trail for quite some time (following ridgelines, etc). I would like to take my track and make it available from the listing page along with a standard route (collection of waypoints). Will any of the mentioned products/services allow me to do that?

Many of the products above will let you store your tracklog in a standard ".gpx" format. You could then make that file available for download from a website and provide the link in your cache description. The potential finder would also need one of the programs to load the tracklog into his GPS from the .gpx file so a link to some of the suitable freeware might also be needed.

There may well be more elegant approaches, but this is what first occurred to me.

Was under the assumption that this could be done without purchasing a mapping program such as Map Source. I'm I wrong??

See if you can find Expert GPS from Topografix, there is a free version of this program and it will download maps for you. And no, you are not wrong. It will even download the tracks from your gps. It is a very handy program