Google Earth Views Limits

Plasma Boy

Is there a reason why when I launch the kml in Google Earth, I only get ~200 views before it shuts off for the day? Is this another rank has it's priviledges feature of a premium membership? Everytime I pan or zoom, it counts as a view. Can someone explain this to me?

Edited by Plasma Boy

The same limit applies to regular and premium members. To save on pageviews, turn off the kml temporarily until you move and zoom to the desired area.

EDIT: See Jeremy's post below... that's called "autorefresh." I couldn't remember that, and there's no Google Earth to play with at work!

Edited by Keystone

It's Google's way to cut down on traffic unless you pay for the better version.

This is not correct. Listen to Keystone. The limit was instituted by Groundspeak. The 200-view limit has nothing to do with Google or money. It is to ease strain on the databases containing the cache data. From the page about the geocaching KML:

There are some limitations of this service due to the amount of strain the queries have on the database and the desktop application.

I've read very few complaints about 200 views not being enough.

This is not correct. Listen to Keystone. The limit was instituted by Groundspeak. The 200-view limit has nothing to do with Google or money. It is to ease strain on the databases containing the cache data. From the page about the geocaching KML

...but if you're a premium member, you can use the Pocket Queries to be independend of the KML stream. As posted here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=125616

This is not correct. Listen to Keystone. The limit was instituted by Groundspeak. The 200-view limit has nothing to do with Google or money. It is to ease strain on the databases containing the cache data. From the page about the geocaching KML:

There are some limitations of this service due to the amount of strain the queries have on the database and the desktop application.

I've read very few complaints about 200 views not being enough.

What this is refering to is the numbers of caches that appear on the screen. that makes sense. Everytime I move the screen it counts down to zero from 200. When I hit zero, the caches disappear. That doesn't make sense. Do you means everytime I move the screen it remaps the caches? That seams excessive.

I can not find anyway to shut down autorefresh on my google earth browser.

geognerd posted this elsewhere:

In the legend on the left side of the screen, right-click on Geocaching Network KML. Then click Edit. In the dialogue box that appears, check the box for Refresh Parameters. Some more options will appear below. Under View-Based Refresh, click the When drop-down list and change it from After Camera Stops to On Request. Click OK.

Now you can zoom in and out on one area as many times as you want without using up your views. When you pan to another area and want to refresh the caches on the map, right-click Geocaching Network KML and click Refresh.

geognerd posted this elsewhere:

In the legend on the left side of the screen, right-click on Geocaching Network KML. Then click Edit. In the dialogue box that appears, check the box for Refresh Parameters. Some more options will appear below. Under View-Based Refresh, click the When drop-down list and change it from After Camera Stops to On Request. Click OK.

Now you can zoom in and out on one area as many times as you want without using up your views. When you pan to another area and want to refresh the caches on the map, right-click Geocaching Network KML and click Refresh.

Much better.

Thanks for all of the help. TTFN :laughing:

I bought Google Earth Plus for my PC a few months ago. Never had any problem viewing caches and never used more than a few views per day.

Last week I bought a MacBook and downloaded GE+, registered it and then went to the Geocaching site to download the KLM. However, I've never been able to see a cache in the MacBook. It instantly says I've exceeded the allowable views for the day.

Anyone have ANY ideas?!!!! Thanks

Robert

Edited by EZ Streetts

I bought Google Earth Plus for my PC a few months ago. Never had any problem viewing caches and never used more than a few views per day.

Last week I bought a MacBook and downloaded GE+, registered it and then went to the Geocaching site to download the KLM. However, I've never been able to see a cache in the MacBook. It instantly says I've exceeded the allowable views for the day.

Robert

I have exactly the same Problem on linux. Has anyone an idea?

Robert

I have exactly the same Problem on linux. Has anyone an idea?

I think this is a new bug in version 4 of GE. There's a thread about it somewhere. No-one seems to know who to blame for the problem, and apparently no-one's working on fixing it, right? RIGHT?

DL an earlier version of GE and the kml will work, supposedly.

I agree that this seems to be more than enough views for now. I never get below 150 or so remaining, and I've done a lot of wandering around in GE to see what kinds of places they show up.

I would be curious if Jeremy could post any kind of idea of how many hits he gets from GE on a daily or weekly basis - this would be neat to see.

It is not a Google ploy to sell Plus/Pro; those editions act exactly the same way. It's not an OS-specific thing. It is an inability of Earth to parse invalid KML generated by this site.

Since the discussion centers around the refresh parameters (what Groundspeak, not Google, uses to limit views) let's start there. Take apart the network KML and you'll see:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">

<NetworkLink>

<open>1</open>

<name>Geocaching Network KML</name>

<description>Geocaching.com Caches located in the view window of Google Earth.</description>

<open>1</open>

<visibility>1</visibility>

<refreshVisibility>0</refreshVisibility>

<Url>

<href>http://api.Groundspeak.com/networkkml/geocache.aspx?key=STUFF</href>

<viewRefreshTime>3</viewRefreshTime>

<viewRefreshMode>onStop</viewRefreshMode>

</Url>

</NetworkLink>

Turn with us now in your KML Hymnal and you'll see that viewRefreshMode is a child of <Link> while in Groundspeak's code it's a child of <Url>. Look at the description of <Link> and you'll see

The <Link> element is new in KML 2.1. It replaces the <Url> element of <NetworkLink> contained in earlier KML releases and adds functionality for the <Region> element (also introduced in KML 2.1). In Google Earth releases 3.0 and earlier, the <Link> element is ignored.

The network link is claiming to be KML 2.1 and then using constructs from an older KML. That is why the site can't override the refresh type. It works in Earth3 because <Url> is still valid in whatever version of KML was used by it (2.0, I think.)

While we have the hymnal out, we might as well apply for the bonus round of correctness.

Url (open and close) should be Link

viewRefreshMode should be before viewRefreshTime

name should immediately follow NetworkLink

visibility should immediately follow name.

*bump* :D

Any news on this or another thread where it's being discussed more?

This happens to me occassionaly when I run GE under linux but doesn't seem to happen all the time. I could just be remembering wrong I suppose though.

I've never seen this happen under Windows myself.

It's very frustrating to realize too late that I've used up all of my views when I normally wouldn't come close to even using up 1/10th of them.

just figured i'd mention that i downloaded GE on my Macbook today and imported 3 gpx files into GE. the third import gave me the limited views error and wouldn't work until tomorrow. i have literally had GE open for about 3 minutes. crummy stuff.

i'll try editing the refresh rate, but in 3 minutes that seems awfully strange to have already kicked in. hmmm.

I am a Premium Member and have Google Earth Plus... but since 3 days i could not use the KML of Geocaching Network. Not one Cache is visible only the same Info appears:

You have exceeded the allowed views for the day. Please try again tomorrow.

BUT: Tomorrow i read the same without any using of Google Earth...

Do yu have any hint, why the KML ist blocked for me???

Thx for any help

derhexer