Projecting Waypoints

My yellow e-trex is just not pulling its weight right now. I need to project a waypoint, and I've never been successful with this before. Is there a website that will calculate my new waypoint? Or maybe freeware? Or maybe someone in Florda with a good heart will just do it for me. :D

Try this FCC webpage. For those not in the United States, I'm not sure it will work for you. It might be worth a try to see.

My yellow e-trex is just not pulling its weight right now. I need to project a waypoint, and I've never been successful with this before. Is there a website that will calculate my new waypoint? Or maybe freeware? Or maybe someone in Florda with a good heart will just do it for me. :D

Website

Use the calculator "Compute lat/lon given radial and distance from a known point."

You can always do a "reverse projection". Just set a way point where you are and then if you are wanting to go 500 feet on a heading of 90 degrees all you do is keep the arrow pointed 180 degrees from your target. In this case 270 degrees. Then just walk that heading until you are 500 feet away from your initial way point. You might have to search along an arc keeping the distance at 500 feet, but you will be very close.

Not as slick or as accurate as following the arrow to ground zero. But then again what do you expect for under $100??

Edited by two left feet

pull out a compass and take a heading. Then walk the distance you are supposed to project. Not bad for shorter distances, but a bear over a mile or more. Situationally dependant

I know this is scary, but I don't have a compass. Any suggestions for a starter compass that I can buy in a medium sized city or online? :laughing:

You can always do a "reverse projection". Just set a way point where you are and then if you are wanting to go 500 feet on a heading of 90 degrees all you do is keep the arrow pointed 180 degrees from your target. In this case 270 degrees. Then just walk that heading until you are 500 feet away from your initial way point. You might have to search along an arc keeping the distance at 500 feet, but you will be very close.

Not as slick or as accurate as following the arrow to ground zero. But then again what do you expect for under $100??

Yeah, I was thinking of doing something like that. If it was flat, dry ground instead of a muddy butte, I'd be more inclined.

It's only free for very limited use and you may have no use for it since it is a Palm application, but I use CacheMate for projections. It has always been VERY accurate and it's a lot easier and faster than using my GPS.

How do you do a projection with Cachemate?

To project a waypoint from a cache page..

1. Select a cache.

2. tap on "CacheMate in the upper right" or use the pull-down menu icon if you have one on your device.

3. tap on the 'Calc' menu header

4. tap on the "Project Waypoint" menu item

5. enter the bearing in degrees (example, 182.223)

6. enter the distance

7. select the distance units from the pull down menu

8. tap the "ok" button

It will then give you a new wayp[oint/cache page that you can customize however you wish with a name, category, etc.

To project from a set of given coordinates you do the same, but you'll have to add a waypoint with the given coordinates first. For instance, if you are doing a multi where stage 1 send you to stage 2 and stage 2 has you preject to the final. You have stage 1 in cachemate, but you'll have to add stage 2 to cachemate manually to project from it using cachemate. This is pretty easy also since you can copy waypoints and then modify them pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.

pull out a compass and take a heading. Then walk the distance you are supposed to project. Not bad for shorter distances, but a bear over a mile or more. Situationally dependant

I know this is scary, but I don't have a compass. Any suggestions for a starter compass that I can buy in a medium sized city or online? ;)

Any standard baseplate compass should be good enough. Wally World, or a local outdoors type store should have plenty of choices. You shouldn't have to spend more than $20 to get a solid performer. Silva makes good basic models if you are more inclined to the web side... Have fun!

Edited by Jhwk

It's only free for very limited use and you may have no use for it since it is a Palm application, but I use CacheMate for projections. It has always been VERY accurate and it's a lot easier and faster than using my GPS.

How do you do a projection with Cachemate?

To project a waypoint from a cache page..

1. Select a cache.

2. tap on "CacheMate in the upper right" or use the pull-down menu icon if you have one on your device.

3. tap on the 'Calc' menu header

4. tap on the "Project Waypoint" menu item

5. enter the bearing in degrees (example, 182.223)

6. enter the distance

7. select the distance units from the pull down menu

8. tap the "ok" button

It will then give you a new wayp[oint/cache page that you can customize however you wish with a name, category, etc.

To project from a set of given coordinates you do the same, but you'll have to add a waypoint with the given coordinates first. For instance, if you are doing a multi where stage 1 send you to stage 2 and stage 2 has you preject to the final. You have stage 1 in cachemate, but you'll have to add stage 2 to cachemate manually to project from it using cachemate. This is pretty easy also since you can copy waypoints and then modify them pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.

I don't have the 'project waypoint' menu item in my cachmate, and I have the latest version. Is there a plugin I need to get somewhere?

I don't have the 'project waypoint' menu item in my cachmate, and I have the latest version. Is there a plugin I need to get somewhere?

There should have been a MathLib.prc file to install as well. I believe it is required for all calculation operations and it shoul dhave been included in the download of Cachemate. Other than that I can't think of anything else you shoul dneed.