Blue Canary Geocoin

Blue Canary

The Blue Canary geocoin is scheduled for sale March 31 and April 1 through the geocoin store. Only 375 of the coins will be sold. Here is the link to the sale http://www.geocoinstore.com/viewfullcoinde...n.php?coinid=48

bcphoto.jpg

The reverse of the coin has an outline of the State of Mississippi and three flags. Mississippi was admitted to the Union on December 10, 1817. On January 9, 1861 it succeeded from the Union and was admitted to the Confederate States of America on March 27, 1861. On February 23, 1870 it was readmitted to the Union. The three flags are the current flags of the United States of America and the State of Mississippi and the last official flag of the Confederate States of America.

The obverse of the coin has the logo of Blue Canary, who has been geocaching since February 21, 2003. A blue canary is a term used only half in jest by firemen in referring to law enforcement officers at a hazardous materials incident. Unfortunately, Hazmat training for law enforcement has lagged behind that of fire fighters. Law enforcement is usually trained to rush immediately to any incident they are called to. Fire fighters have been trained to observe the area as they approach. Only half jokingly, fire fighters are taught in responding to hazardous material incidents to observe any law enforcement officers already on the scene to see if the "Blue Canaries" appear OK or are prone on the ground. Blue Canary is a retired law enforcement officer.

The coin will have its own icon and is trackable on geocaching com

bcicon.gif

Edited by Blue Canary

Ouch, that was a rude awakening. From all the advance emails asking for trades I expected pretty good sales. Now that the two main sales are past, I see that apparently most prefer to trade for their coins instead of buying them. Oh well, I guess I should have realized how it worked from my Boy Scout patch trading days.

Don't take this as a complaint, just rambling and a little advice on how things work for those of you that are thinking of taking the leap and having your own personal coins made. Remember that all the coins that don't sale must be paid for by you.

Ouch, that was a rude awakening. From all the advance emails asking for trades I expected pretty good sales. Now that the two main sales are past, I see that apparently most prefer to trade for their coins instead of buying them. Oh well, I guess I should have realized how it worked from my Boy Scout patch trading days.

Don't take this as a complaint, just rambling and a little advice on how things work for those of you that are thinking of taking the leap and having your own personal coins made. Remember that all the coins that don't sale must be paid for by you.

I actually tried to go buy some but the geocoinstore site seemed to be down.

--Marky