Ok Who's Not All There?

57chevy

Ok well maybe the title is a little misleading, I am curious about other cachers that have joint replacements or prosthetics. I am closing in on my 100th cache with a total hip replacement and was wondering how many other cachers are out there doing their thing with joint or other bodily upgrades. I personally haven't been limited much as to what caches I can do, but I think that sometimes I should really just chill out a little. I would like to hear about triumph or failure. :rolleyes:

At some point I will need to do the replacement thing. Bad knee & hips. I am new to the sport and love it. Since they give me trouble I limit myself to caches that are no more then 500 - 600 feet from the parking area. I have 23 finds and will be back at it as soon as this latest snow is gone and the weather warms. I am happy to hear that your repairs are serving you well and you can enjoy the hunt & the cache.

Ed

I haven't had any joints replaced per se, but I did have surgery a few years back to remove three bones from my left wrist to correct a really rare bone disease called Kienbock's. So my left arm is about half an inch shorter than my right. :ph34r:

Doesn't make much difference for caching unless I have to do some serious bushwhacking, as climbing is a bit more difficult, but certainly not impossible. My wrist won't bend as far as a normal one and it's sensitive to shock, so I have to take care, but other than that, no worries.

In another 5 or 10 years, I'll have to have it fused and a plate put in it, but at least I'll have gotten 15 extra years out of it! :D

I haven't had a joint replacement but I'm "all screwed up" in the right leg. I'm only doing one terrain caches so far but I'm just 5 months post surgery and still in P.T.. By the way, the screws were for a geoaccident.

Were you aware there is a geocoin shaped like a screw? They're pretty cool looking. :D

certainly does right now not least because i'm pretty much house bound so can't get out there to visit the pub.

will take some getting used to, they say no difference with only having one! but then why do we come with two?

i've not been fully here for a long time!!! it's physical aswell as mental now though!!! :tired:

I have never had anything replaced, however I do have an 11 inch bolt with 16 pins in my left femur from a fall almost 10 years ago when I broke my leg in a few places. It doesn't bother me much at all as I can hike some 10 miles or more without a problem. Only if I run does it become noticeable, but that has lessened much in recent years.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Ok well maybe the title is a little misleading, I am curious about other cachers that have joint replacements or prosthetics.

I'm a amputee, left below the knee. I also wear a prostetic leg. Coming up on number 700 soon. Some days I can walk a long distance. Some days I can't go to far. I mostly mix one or two good caches with some park and grabs.

Edited by JimBrownG

Ok well maybe the title is a little misleading, I am curious about other cachers that have joint replacements or prosthetics.

I'm a amputee, left below the knee. I also wear a prostetic leg. Coming up on number 700 soon. Some days I can walk a long distance. Some days I can't go to far. I mostly mix one or two good caches with some park and grabs.

Wow that is awesome. I admire your dedication to caching. :rolleyes:

Total Right Hip Replacement - December 1986 - Finally wore the plastice liner out after 19 years, and had it replaced in January of this year. Getting back up to speed now. :huh:

Total left knee replacement - September, 1993 - Completely trouble free at this time. :huh:

I enjoy caching. I might be limited, but I haven't had to back off a cache yet because of physical limitations. I did learn very early, that I needed a walking stick anytime I left hard surfaces, and haven't done too many with a terrain rating over "3". I like woodland/back country caches, so I will probably take some hard looks at some more difficult ratings ~ If I don't like what I see, I won't do them.

Joint replacements certainly win over the alternatives - pain; crutches/walkers; couch potatoes & etc.

:huh:

I just started caching this Jan. Up to 127 now.

I have had my left hip replaced twice. First one was the defective

Sulzer implant. They had to rip it out after a year (2001) and put in a new one.

This has dislocated 2 times since, last one being in Feb. while on a surfing trip in Baja California.

Since the dislocate, I have had a pinched sciatic nerve. It is killing me!

Doctor wants to go in and replace the cup and ball to a new larger more stable one. Prolly do that in May.

I try very hard not to let it stop me. But it does some times.

All of my parts are original (so far, knock wood!), but my father, Poppy Le Pew, had a hip replacement 15ish years ago, and is in need of another. He's been caching for about 17 months, and frankly, some times i'm glad that i did not know where he was going beforehand, because i would have worried, and might have advised him otherwise.

Hardest lesson for me is that it is none of my business. he will do what he knows he is capable of doing.

he doesn't need a daughter fussing over him.

Well, last night my hobby sent me to the ER- back spasms and severe lumbar strain. It was so bad I couldn't even walk and collapsed a few times. No replacements or anything, but I've never had pain so severe they had to give me IV painkillers. THAT was a remarkable experience, I can tell you.

I have all my original joints and limbs, but I do have a metal artificial aortic heart valve. It doesn't slow me down or bother me while geocaching nearly as much as the "spare tire" around my waist. It is also very comforting to sit in a quiet woods and hear it ticking away like a Timex.

Well, THIS is an awesome topic, I find it very interesting how people overcome their ailments and find a way to do the things they enjoy. I found this other topic on the boards though that has a link on it that lets you print a medical alert ID card, if it saves one life it's worth it. Check it out. I believe a cacher named BomberJohn can be attributed to it.

Printable Medical ID card