Someone Famous

I'm having a dilema. I know the coor's of the grave of someone relatively famous near a cache. While I know 99 percent of geocachers would be respectfull if they visited, I'm worried about the other 1 percent.

One part of me says "publish it", but I would feel like snot if something happened there because of me.

I'm leaning towards "keep it a secret, and sleep well", any thoughts?

Many, many caches take you to graves of famous people. I've yet to see one of these that caused damage. Plus, from your description, the grave would simply be a bonus location, no one would have to search its immediate area to find a cache. That being the case, it is very unlikely that any damage would be done.

Post the coords.

I'm having a dilema. I know the coor's of the grave of someone relatively famous near a cache. While I know 99 percent of geocachers would be respectfull if they visited, I'm worried about the other 1 percent.

One part of me says "publish it", but I would feel like snot if something happened there because of me.

Grave sites are a touchy subject here. I have used this web site plenty of times to find people, there are probably plenty of others. Is your person listed there? People are going to be respectful or not based on something other than caching and people are going to be able to find things based on caching or not. But you have to look at yourself in the mirror.

Here's a possible alternative: Hide the cache in the woods behind the cemetery, or the park across the street, etc. Then, in the cache, leave a note saying that there's a bonus surprise: "the grave of ABC can be found at coordinates X, Y." Those who have a legitimate interest will go check it out, and those who don't, will move along to the next cache. This way, you don't even need to mention it on your cache page, thereby avoiding potential unwanted publicity for this special spot.

I appreciate your being sensitive and thinking about the issue, and asking here.

Go with your gut. You can keep it off the open, national registry and just pass it around trusted friends.

I see that you're a premium member. Do you use GSAK? If so, you can create your own listing and export it for others to enjoy without having to make it available to any ol' Joe.

I seem to recall a thread where Jeremy was supporting the idea of a waymark category for graves of... was it soldiers? So I'm guessing his opinion would be that it's not *inherently* disprespectful to do it.

I'd say, that if the grave is in a public cemetary, there are plenty of muggles passing by anyway, and I bet the geocacher demographic is a more educated and respectful one than the general muggle populace that is already there.

Among cachers, it's probably less than the 1% you mention that would be disrespectful.

Among the muggles that are there anyway? Think about how many cemetaries become host to drunken teenagers at night.

If it's a public cemetary, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just don't encourage them to do anything in your cache description. Like digging in flower pots or something.

If it's not a public cemetary, that's another story.

just my .02

Trust your instincts.

Enough said. There were a lot of good arguments on this thread, but sorry, I cant roll the dice. Location remains secret.

I'm sure its no secret at all. In fact I bet its here and if it isn't it will be soon.

Wow, that website is COOL! Albeit a bit morbid... :laughing:

I looked up Henry David Thoreau's grave there for fun. I'm a throeau fan, and I once visited his grave, even though it's on the opposite side of the USA from me.

I don't think it's disrespectful at all. Though I completly respect the OPs decision.

Just "reading between the plots," something says to me that this isn't quite a normal buriel plot.

- even careless cachers aren't gonna do vandalism - just, perhaps, tromp the flowers. And, yes, that'd likely happen SOME time. Are you, normally, a worrier? If once, every summer, that happened, would it be a real serious problem - would anyone really notice?

-or, is it a more elaborate place, with more recognition, where regular visitors would notice, easily?

Just sayin', most famous graves probably aren't that elaborate, nor are they visited so very often that tromped flowers would be noticed, and maybe you're worryin' for very little. Then again........

If I were doing a cache and Bob Keeshan's grave was the first stop, that would be kinda cool/sad, and I'd be glad for it. But don't endanger something for the sake of those crowbar-wielding bandit cachers.

I'm in Los Angeles, and there is a cemetery in Hollywood where lots of famous people are burried. They actually have regular movie nights there when they bring in a projector and a make-shift screen and people sit around on the grass and watch movies.

So everyone has different ideas about what's disrespectful.

But then again, this isn't normal america, this is hollyWIERD.

I found that info on find a grave. I am a contributor on that site. The grave, famous or not, is already online, for the world to see. As are directions to the cemetery, and the exact spot in the cemetery. With find a grave and google earth, I can go there now, so what's the difference if there's a cache there or not? You could make it a PM cache if you dont trust all of your fellow cachers. I know you said forget it, I just dont see the logic.