Waas Outage? Satellite Trouble?

All afternoon my 1 year old 76CS has been losing satellite signals and has not been reliable. I've never had trouble with it before. It was working great on March 18.

The batteries are strong.

And although I have WAAS "enabled", when I do get connected, I'm not getting a confirmation that I'm using WAAS.

Today, I'm in the north Florida area (Tallahassee). I also get "Satellite signal Weak", but nothing attaches.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,

Ted

I was out today here Cental Mexico with my 60CSx and it took about 3-4 min to get a satelite lock, which is about 3-4 min longer than normal. Probably not connected to your issue in FL but thought it seemed a bit strange since my 60CSx has being done a good job at getting sats quickly.

I was out today here Cental Mexico with my 60CSx and it took about 3-4 min to get a satelite lock, which is about 3-4 min longer than normal. Probably not connected to your issue in FL but thought it seemed a bit strange since my 60CSx has being done a good job at getting sats quickly.

I was getting bad reception yesterday and the day before here west of Houston. Today the bars are maxed out.

There was something said on this board about the Government doing scramble tests in parts of the country.

I haven't been able to see 35 today either. I usually see it, get strong signals, (but no corrections, apparently a fw bug garmin told me is in the pipeline to fix).

I've had great signals overall today, first around 6am, the other around 330pm. I'm in the minneapolis MN area.

update: this morning on my drive in, not only did I get strong 35 signals (4-5 lines), it is now showing in the SW, whereas before it was showing up in the SE (in the sat view). I got my first WAAS corrections (D's on most of the signal bars).

mostly freeway, so fairly open skies. Got 4-5 signal strenth for the most part, except at one or two interchanges with lots of overpasses.

I got 35 this afternoon for the first time. Also the first time I saw D's in my bars. Maybe the satellite is now in place?

thats what I'm wondering. I went caching today, and had waas corrections for quite a bit (gotta love sirf).

on my drive home pre-waas I had 9-10 feet EE about 10%. On my drive with waas, it was about 70 percent. not bad.

No -- 35 is still moving and will be into April. They started moving it in February and it is about a 60 day move.

However, it is still operational (for the correctional/integrity WAAS data) during the move -- so you should still see it most of the time. I was simply letting people know that they can expect some odd behavior (like not finding it suddenly) that could easily be related to the move.

While moving, it isn't giving any "ranging" data is all -- so it won't be used to dtermine your position and such -- but it will still give out the correctional data that we normally expect from the WAAS birds.

- John...

...I got my first WAAS corrections (D's on most of the signal bars).

So the "D" on the bottom of the bars mean WAAS corrections? I don't often see them.

drbugs, what is the 10% and 70% you mention refer to?

the percents are ballpark observations (ie not scientitic at all) of how much time my accuracy at the 9foot versus 10-12 foot. just observing on the one trip (about a 30 mile mostly freeway) with waas compared to the other times I've made the same trip without waas. ie before waas only about 10% of the time on the trip I would have an accuracy of less than 10 feet. with it on the same road, about 70 percent was less than 10 feet.

Edited by drbugs

While moving, it isn't giving any "ranging" data is all -- so it won't be used to dtermine your position and such -- but it will still give out the correctional data that we normally expect from the WAAS birds.

- John...

Ok, so when I do get 35 on my GPS, its greyed out for that reason, right? Also isn’t there supposed to be a 47 that should be available in the NA continent?