The Last Team [d]22 Sterling Silver Quahog Geocoin

SquareD22

43baa35e-0a76-4564-bc65-a476b9f114a6.jpg

6110342b-4085-46c2-a99f-2a32baa008ff.jpg

OK, so here is the deal. This is my retired personal geocoin. When I retired this edition, I made the final run of 24 coins in Sterling Silver. I sold them here in the forums to the first lucky bunch for what I thought would be my cost, 32.00. I ended up loosing money. I had about 4 left after orders so I sold a few on that Eplace to recoop some money. The last one wouldn't sell for what I wanted, but I sold them for $85 - $137 bucks.

So now I have broken even, so I thought why not give back to the community! I am sure there are some out there who can't afford ebay prices, and missed out on the original offering, but who would treasure this handmade coin. I could just drop it in a cache, but someone might get it who doesn't really appreciate it. So I am back to the forums...

This last STERLING SILVER geocoin will go to the person who convinces me they are the most deserving and can do so in the next 12 hours. Can't let this go on forever don't ya know! I will also listen to reccomendations if you forums people know of someone who is deserving...but i must hear from them too.

I am the final judge and my decision will be final, the rest of you will have to bring me your torch and will be asked to leave the island immediatly!

Not sure that I'm deserving, but I think this would be the crown jewel in someones collection. I just started buy coins here and there. Just the ones I take a particular interest in, I can't come close to buying all I'd like to. Actually I took some particular interest in one of your fish coins when I saw it on Ebay, but the bidding was too rich for me.

Anyway, I'd like to be considered for this coin.

Edited by Nocturnal Navigators

I vote to give it to the person who gave out all the Santa Geocoins last Christmas. Would the real Santa Claus please stand up!

I completely agree with this! But one problem, how do we know they are telling the truth? :rolleyes:

Just send the coin to the North Pole, silly. There's only ONE residence there, and guess who opens the letters. Duh. :P

BTW: For those of you who might argue that the Fortress of Solitude is also a residence up there...Superman's technically an alien, and his "residence" is more like a hideout. Either way, the mail will go to the correct place, so just send it already so I can stop BSing. Thank you.

Oh, and I'd like to put in my vote for ME, just in case you get a chuckle out of my random brain blather, or maybe you just so happen to like the letter "Y". Who knows, you might even respect guys that aren't afraid to express their "citrus" side. Or, perhaps, I'm slightly less annoying than having, say...an SUV drive over your foot, or being so excited when a new geocoin arrivess in your mailbox that you accidentally slam the lid down on your tongue. Don't ask how it happened, it just happened. The therapists tell me that I'll be able to say "therapy" without a lisp very soon, so I have that to look forward to. In the meantime, thanks for the offer of your coin, enjoy the next 11 and a half hours of shameless begging by mooks like me, and God save the Queen. cheeky-smiley-013.gif

I'd be very interested in it but for a different reason. I have not heard the word Quahog since my Dad passed away. He used to love to going claming for steamers, and quahogs. As a boy, I went with him and enjoyed it. He kept doing it until he passed away at age 75. He is firm in my memory but that would be a piece to put on the mantle with other items he used around the salt water. He was a boat builder, wood boats, he hated glass boats and to him it was all about the lines of the boats and the workmanship. I still have all his clam rakes, tongs, even his waders. I think it would make a great addition to put on the mantle.

I've only been at GPSing for 3 months now but sure enjoy it. I'm retired and found it to be a great way to stay active in the winter. I found my first Geocoin yesterday and am on my 24 cache. That one would be a special treat to find for sure. I'm sure there are many in here who would apprecaite it also. But I couldn't let this one pass without comment. His favorite to me if I was sick was, here son, let me make ya a quahog milk shake to cure what ails ya. Talk about instant decsions, hmmm sick, not sick....usually not...LOL..... Either way, very interesting Geocoin, that anyone out there will be pround to have.

SwampYankee This is the name I use on Geocaching.com also

Yada Yada Yada... and God save the Queen. cheeky-smiley-013.gif

:P Just who is the Queen of Rhode Island anyways? :P

I'd like to have one of the Quahogs, I have restrained from purchasing just any coin that is offered, and am limiting myself to quality coins and tokens, ( I'll trade anybody wooden nickels though :rolleyes: ). I like the idea that you made these. If I myself didn't receive it, I would like to see the Worker of Wood get it for having the coin voted "Best Personal Coin" of 2005. :P

I'd be very interested in it but for a different reason. I have not heard the word Quahog since my Dad passed away. He used to love to going claming for steamers, and quahogs. As a boy, I went with him and enjoyed it. He kept doing it until he passed away at age 75. He is firm in my memory but that would be a piece to put on the mantle with other items he used around the salt water. He was a boat builder, wood boats, he hated glass boats and to him it was all about the lines of the boats and the workmanship. I still have all his clam rakes, tongs, even his waders. I think it would make a great addition to put on the mantle.

I've only been at GPSing for 3 months now but sure enjoy it. I'm retired and found it to be a great way to stay active in the winter. I found my first Geocoin yesterday and am on my 24 cache. That one would be a special treat to find for sure. I'm sure there are many in here who would apprecaite it also. But I couldn't let this one pass without comment. His favorite to me if I was sick was, here son, let me make ya a quahog milk shake to cure what ails ya. Talk about instant decsions, hmmm sick, not sick....usually not...LOL..... Either way, very interesting Geocoin, that anyone out there will be pround to have.

SwampYankee This is the name I use on Geocaching.com also

^^WINNER^^

And if swampyankee doesn't take it -- I'd LOVE to have it.

*takes a deep breath*

ok, here's my submission...it's not for me. It's for the thousands of babies born prematurely each and every day. The many that do not make it and the many that do, due to todays wonderful technologies. My babies, identicle twin girls were not so lucky. Born at only 23 and a half weeks Kyra Echo weighed only 15.5 ounces (15 of these coins perhaps?) Jayde Kayleigh weighed slightly more at 1 lb 3.5 ounces. Both girls were born alive, whole babies, moving breathing and cooing to each other. However the Dr.'s deemed them unviable, a word I have grown to hate. Seven and a half hours later and only minutes after being baptised my two beautiful girls became Angels.

I would like the coin to Auction off to benefit the March of Dimes. The coin I had designed to do just that was rejected because the March of Dimes is making their own coins to be sold for $50 and $100 each, my $10 coin would have been "competition". The money raised would be turned into the Aiken SC chapter of the March of Dimes to help other babies make it where mine did not.

Thank you for your consideration, and your kind gesture no matter who recieves it.

Jennifer

While I would like to own a coin such as yours, I would feel selfish in attempting to convince anyone that I deserve anything. I do think that Marky might deserve the coin though for all he and Joani have done for cachers in the area I cache in and elsewhere. I also feel that Cornerstone4, DHenninger, Avroair, and AtlantaGal might deserve one for the help they have given to others.

While I would like to own a coin such as yours, I would feel selfish in attempting to convince anyone that I deserve anything. I do think that Marky might deserve the coin though for all he and Joani have done for cachers in the area I cache in and elsewhere. I also feel that Cornerstone4, DHenninger, Avroair, and AtlantaGal might deserve one for the help they have given to others.

I agree. If you don't give it to one of the above, how about auctioning it off and giving the proceeds to one of the funds setup on behalf of fallen cachers. I am pretty sure that the money would be of benifit to, say Bikedog's family as an example.

Wow, kusanagi is too kind! Joani and I would love such a special coin so I will throw out a couple of reasons and see how they stand up to the rest. When the first California geocoin was being made, I offered to set up a tracking site for free since geocaching.com didn't allow geocoins to be trackable. I registered geocoin.net for free geocoin tracking. Then I had the idea to track signature items as well so I also registered sigitem.com. There are now over 60 sigitems and geocoins tracked on the tracking site. :ph34r:

Joani has been helping geocoins and travelbugs continue on their travels by adding laminated travelbug goal tags to every travelbug and geocoin we come across. She has added her goal tags to over 1000 travelbugs and geocoins. :D

Thanks for giving back to the geocoin collector community, someone is going to get a very cool addition to their collection.

--Marky

I agree with Cache & Keri. Stick it in a cache of your choice (without telling anyone where it is of course) and let the cards fall as they may. It might end up in the hands of someone who would appreciate it for what it was more than any of us here. I would love to have one in my collection but that would be a real treasure to a non collector.

I would love your coin, but I probably don't deserve it either. I think a coin like yours takes us back to our roots. A day where something different was a great joy to find in a cache. I see that you put alot of time and love into all the coins you have made so far, and they look great. I haven't had a real tragedy since both of my parents passed away several years ago, so raising my boys without them really hits home to me. My father was much like you, putting a little sunshine in everything he did, and mom was there to wrap it in love. So I think you should relist your coin and donate the proceeds to the fallen cacher's children.(I am not sure the charity but someone could tell you) Living without a daddy or mommy is the absolute worst torture any child should have to endure. I know to this very day I would do ANYTHING to tell my parents once more that I love them with all my heart and soul...these children will someday repeat my words.

43baa35e-0a76-4564-bc65-a476b9f114a6.jpg

6110342b-4085-46c2-a99f-2a32baa008ff.jpg

OK, so here is the deal. This is my retired personal geocoin. When I retired this edition, I made the final run of 24 coins in Sterling Silver. I sold them here in the forums to the first lucky bunch for what I thought would be my cost, 32.00. I ended up loosing money. I had about 4 left after orders so I sold a few on that Eplace to recoop some money. The last one wouldn't sell for what I wanted, but I sold them for $85 - $137 bucks.

So now I have broken even, so I thought why not give back to the community! I am sure there are some out there who can't afford ebay prices, and missed out on the original offering, but who would treasure this handmade coin. I could just drop it in a cache, but someone might get it who doesn't really appreciate it. So I am back to the forums...

This last STERLING SILVER geocoin will go to the person who convinces me they are the most deserving and can do so in the next 12 hours. Can't let this go on forever don't ya know! I will also listen to reccomendations if you forums people know of someone who is deserving...but i must hear from them too.

I am the final judge and my decision will be final, the rest of you will have to bring me your torch and will be asked to leave the island immediatly!

I know I don't deserve a darn thing..especially something as cool as a hand-crafted geocoin...why not go back to that e place and do a charity auction for the charity of your choice...a local charity...the Sierra Club...Nature Conservancy...National Parks Foundation...these are the organizations that keep so many of the places we geocache viable...I'm sure your local volunteer Fire Department could use the money....gosh, there are a lot of deserving organizations out there that impact our lives as geocachers, whether we realize it or not...good luck with your decision...great coin, by the way...

Thankyou all who replied. I have made my decision, but that will remain secret at this time. There were some nice ideas thrown out and I appreciate them. At this time I wanted this coin to go to a cacher, so it will. The ideas of the several mentioned charities is well taken, and I will do that in the near future with one of my new edition coins.

Thanks again,

winner to be notified,

[D]22