Geocoins - Jumped The Shark?

Not So Lost Puppies

Actually, this thread has jumped way off topic.

It wasn't started out to argue about whether or not we should be allowed to express our opinions on designs..

The two things kind of go hand in hand. Non Geo related coin designs and expressing this are the two biggest aspects of whether coins have jumped the shark. This thread is probably closer to being on topic than we even know.

I think anyone avoids ANY scenario, whether its a group, a forum, etc, where excess negativity is found. I would. Why deal with it?

You say that - but you're still here, aren't you? :o

<_< Another GeoCide in the making or simply someone rather new jumping on the bandwagon to Niceyville. You be the judge. :unsure:

Wow.. talk about getting off topic.

Honestly? I enjoy this place - however, if I kept seeing nothing but negative crap posted continually -to the degree where I no longer enjoyed the forum - Id likely go elsewhere, there are other Geocoin forums out there, and some darn nice ones.

But, yep.. I choose to be nice. Call it what you will, but it IS possible to be honest without being overbearing about it.

I tend to also resent the 'new' or 'only so many finds' arguement. As if someone isn't entitled to have an opinion due to the time they have been involved, or because they spend less time caching. Last thing I knew, we weren't keeping score. For myself, we have several hobbies... letterboxing, geocaching, our dogs, photography, etc.. etc.. etc... Geocoins happen to be one of them.

I dont think there is a mandatory minimum required for participation... thank god.

I tend to also resent the 'new' or 'only so many finds' arguement. As if someone isn't entitled to have an opinion due to the time they have been involved, or because they spend less time caching. Last thing I knew, we weren't keeping score. For myself, we have several hobbies... letterboxing, geocaching, our dogs, photography, etc.. etc.. etc... Geocoins happen to be one of them.

I dont think there is a mandatory minimum required for participation... thank god.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear as to what I meant. I get suspicious when somebody comes in here that is either new or has a couple of caches found and starts cranking out coins. To me, it feels like somebody caught wind of a way to make money and jumped on the bandwagon. They weren't a cacher turned into a coin person, or somebody who enjoyed both first. I could be wrong, but that's how it feels to me.

In the end, yes, we will agree to disagree with no hard feelings. You've got your opinions and are welcome to them and I respect the fact that you're willing to stick up for them. Just afford me the same rights. :unsure:

Leaving conversation now - my LONG conference call is over. <_<

I think anyone avoids ANY scenario, whether its a group, a forum, etc, where excess negativity is found. I would. Why deal with it?

You say that - but you're still here, aren't you? :o

<_< Another GeoCide in the making or simply someone rather new jumping on the bandwagon to Niceyville. You be the judge. :unsure:

Wow.. talk about getting off topic.

Honestly? I enjoy this place - however, if I kept seeing nothing but negative crap posted continually -to the degree where I no longer enjoyed the forum - Id likely go elsewhere, there are other Geocoin forums out there, and some darn nice ones.

But, yep.. I choose to be nice. Call it what you will, but it IS possible to be honest without being overbearing about it.

I am not keeping score at all. But you have been into caching for just over 6 months. You have no clue as to what coins were like before all this all happened. You don't even have knowledge of when coins weren't even trackable, that it wasn't an option. Get as defensive as you like about it, but new isn't a bad word. It is nothing more than a barometer of experience and yes in my opinion you haven't been here that long. Sorry if you don't agree but the little date under your name is where I would point you to look at.

I am sure I am at the top of your Negative Cacher bookmark list, and that is fine wih me. I don't get my feelings hurt very easily. I realize this is just a forum and my life exists outside of it. That being said I try to be fair, but I will never stop being honest. If you get your feelings hurt over a piece of metal that I say I don't like, then the reevaluation needs to be done on your end, not mine.

People keep talking about cachers that are afraid to come in here because all of the negativity. It goes the other way too. I have people all the time PM me and say that they agree with what I have to say but are too afraid of being bashed by the "be nice" people to actually come out and say it. So while you think that "we" are the only "negative" ones, you may want to re-evaluate that, as you are also keeping people from here.

I am sure I am at the top of your Negative Cacher bookmark list, and that is fine wih me. I don't get my feelings hurt very easily. I realize this is just a forum and my life exists outside of it. That being said I try to be fair, but I will never stop being honest. If you get your feelings hurt over a piece of metal that I say I don't like, then the reevaluation needs to be done on your end, not mine.

Well... perhaps its just me, but I dont keep a 'Negative Cacher list'... is this something us newbies dont know about? (Tongue in cheek) :o

Its also very hard to hurt MY feelings, but there are others who might get hurt over someone saying "I dont like your coin" or "Thanks for ruining geocoins".

We are indeed newer to caching, but letterboxed for some time before. However - the little date below peoples names may be misleading. I can think of several local cachers who have been doing this for YEARS who don't log finds, and some who dont bother doing anything WITH their registrations. I see them everytime we hit a cache.

Honestly? I dont care what coins were like. All Im saying is that I personally like how they are now. And I generally like the people associated with them. :unsure:

I certainly hope we met the criteria for having a personal coin - after all, we aren't a flash in the pan. Our name has been used for over 10 years in showing dogs, and we also letterbox under the same name. Many of our coins went to people who are involved in those hobbies as well who know us.

I guess I, along with a few obvious others, dont understand the point of this thread other than its ability to cause hard feelings.

If it was written in a 'I miss the good old days" way, rather than a "Look at all that crap" way, it may have come off a little differently. When I try to point out what I like about something, I usually try and stay away from pointing out all the things I dislike about everything else.

I understand what you are trying to say about non-trackables, etc... but, I think theres just as much merit in where things are going. I'm seeing the positive side, and the artistic side, but thats just how I view it. <_<

<snip> But you have been into caching for just over 6 months. You have no clue as to what coins were like before all this all happened. You don't even have knowledge of when coins weren't even trackable, that it wasn't an option. <snip>

Help me understand how you see this applying to the popularity of geocoins and whether they have jumped the shark? Is it important for someone to understand the history of the collectible side of the game in order to know what they like?

<snip> But you have been into caching for just over 6 months. You have no clue as to what coins were like before all this all happened. You don't even have knowledge of when coins weren't even trackable, that it wasn't an option. <snip>

Help me understand how you see this applying to the popularity of geocoins and whether they have jumped the shark? Is it important for someone to understand the history of the collectible side of the game in order to know what they like?

If someone is new to this, say under a 1- 1 1/2 years, they wouldn't know what coins were like before, to be able to answer whether or not they have jumped the shark. If you weren't here to experience it, then how can you make the comparison? All they are doing is commenting on what they see now without any actual experience. They may like something and that is opinion to which they are entitled. This thread is about jumping the shark though, not whether they like a certain coin. To that degree experience here plays a major role.

Edited by pghlooking

Yep gotta long for those good old days:

- The days when you really could never find a geocoin in a cache.

- The days when almost every coin on ebay sold for $20+

- The days when you had to be on the coin forums every minute of every day in order to have a chance at new coin issues.

- The days where you had to do a trackable coin, but in order to do a trackable coin with an icon you had to have a huge bank account.

- The days with no geocoin fairy, geocoin Easter bunny, no geocoin secret agent

- The days . . . . . well feel free to add to the list.

Those were the days weren’t they!

<_<

Again, what does this have to do with caching-related coins.

The answer to every coin question isn't "there's more coins in caches".

We disagree on most things, that's clear. Does that mean that you can't reply on-topic though?

Gosh, I missed this I guess. My reply wasn't on topic? How is that. The very nature of the thread is that you long for the good old days before "coins jumped the shark". HUH?

Who's belittling? I haven't seen anyone come out and call a coin "ugly" or anything of the sort. Saying that it isn't geocaching related is a statement of fact, nothing other. People seem to have a hard time telling the difference between a statement of fact and a personal attack.

People collect for different reasons you are right. I think it's sad that geocoins are now largely collector items that aren't specific to geocaching. They can and have been marketed to other collectors outside of caching and I think that's a bummer. I liked when they meant something in the realm of geocaching. I wish they would go back to geocoins, not just coins, cuz to me, if it's not related to geocaching somehow(personals with caching name on them by definition is related), then it's not a geocoin.

Pretty much if you take a concept to an artist and have them create art based on that concept then take it to a mint, you own all the rights to that art until you specifically give it up in some fashion.

The more practical matter, and honestly kind of why i laugh when I see this issue being discussed, is who is really going to enforce the matter.

The cost of attorneys would eat you alive, relative the value of the art. The best protection comes from the geocaching community itself putting pressure on someone who might steal a design.

There is also the practical question of when a design is a derivative and when it is a new design. There have been a number of cases like that. My CHP coin v. at least one more that was very similar.

The reality is that it is unlikely that anyone would take the time or expense to try to enforce. The only exception I would see would be if you tried to do say a Disney character, I suspect the wrath of Disney would come down and eat you alive.

I guess I would though ask the minting company to take the copyright info off.

My thoughts

This is my opinion in the place to freely express opinions.

I wonder why is it sad or a bummer? I mean this game and geocoins are for recreation. If people like buying the "non geocaching related coins" why do you care? Why is it sad? You are sad maybe but most of the buyers and seller are happy or they would not be buying or selling.

This very post says that you are belittling those who make coins that you deem to be not geocaching related.

To say you don't like coins that are not geocaching related is one thing, but to call it sad really is a personal attack. A practical example of the difference:

A statement of fact / opinion: I do not like going to scary movies.

A value statement: It is sad / pathetic that scary movies are being made.

The first statement is just an opinion. The second clearly disparages those who make and watch scary movies.

It is the attacks that people don't like.

My opinions

I've been eyeing this topic up for a little while and have yet to figure out why it just restarted out of nowhere from over a year ago but here is what i have gathered. I am not picking on anyone and personally do not want to get involved in this because I am one that was not around when coins were only minted non trackable and such but I read this topic and see people who dont like change and people who do like change. Nothing can stay the same forever. If it could I would still be in diapers and happy just staring at the pretty lights.

When I started caching I started caching for the cache side of it. Didnt even know coins existed until low and behold I found one in a cache. Next thing I know I'm buying them left and right, trading them left and right, and since I have come up with quite a few designs which I am proud of and many other cachers seem to feel the same with the amount of emails i get regarding them. The reason I decided to design some was because I know how to draw and I fell in love with coins.

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this topic seems to have gotten quite overblown.

Keep in mind, we were all newbies to this "hobby" at one time or another. You have to start somewhere.

Jayman11

Edited by jho135

If someone is new to this, say under a 1- 1 1/2 years, they wouldn't know what coins were like before, to be able to answer whether or not they have jumped the shark. If you weren't here to experience it, then how can you make the comparison? All they are doing is commenting on what they see now without any actual experience. They may like something and that is opinion to which they are entitled. This thread is about jumping the shark though, not whether they like a certain coin. To that degree experience here plays a major role.

Ah - Now I see where you were coming from. Thanks.

Is it possible maybe some of you "old timers" are too rigid in your views and simply have a difficult time adjusting to change? As I stated earlier it is just a natural course of events that this sport and the satelite hobbys that spin off of it evolve over time. THIS is a fact that can not be denied so get over it. Whether this evolution is for the better or for the worse remains to be seen. I do know that from what I have seen in one of the latest coin threads (Black Box's No Smoking coin) that revived this thread one person used 3 posts to disrespect that persons personal coin, and another used 8 posts to accomplish the same goal though I seriously doubt that neither of these authors will take responsibility for the negativity, sarcasm, and disrespect that was poured on this "personal" coin. The operative word here is PERSONAL. Yes, you have the right to say you don't like the coin and to state the reason(s) why and decline to purchase it. You don't have the right to carry on like a bully on a playground with the bashing, sarcasm and disrespect of a personal coin post after post after post. Simply state you'll pass on the coin because it is unrelated to caching in "your" opinion or whatever reason you might have and move on. I suspect that anyone else but a mod doing this would have been swiftly dealt with. I am not so niave as to not understand that with position comes privlege. But positon and privlege also potentially and unfortunately opens the door to abuse as well. This is a sociological fact, one needs to look no futher than studies on police abuse to understand this concept. Just something to think about.

Generally speaking I am in almost complete agreement with CinemaBoxers. Additional thoughts as follows:

1) Jumping the shark - There is no question that the range of quality is way broader now than it was at the "beginning". That is natural. Does that mean that there are not wonderful coins being produced today? Of course not. There are outstanding coins that are universally loved and mediocre coins that are ignored and everywhere in between. It is not a decline in quality, just a broadening. This is okay.

2) Profits - I have no problem with people (including non-geocachers or newbie cachers) making money on geocoins. If there is a crappy coin it won't sell well. And if it does then that's a pretty good indication of a hot market and kudos to those who take advantage of it (can you tell I went to business school?). And if it's a good coin, well, great! It does not matter to me if you have 1,000 finds or 0 finds or if the coin is geocaching-related or not or if you love to geocache or just love to make money off of geocachers. While I may have a preference for a "geocaching" coin from a "geocacher" it is no more than that. Some of my favorite coins are from geocoinists, not geocachers.

3) Lame coins - If I don't like the coin I simply won't buy it (wait, has that been said here before?!). Does it bother me that a coin does not meet my standards? Of course not. I don't walk around the mall and get annoyed by the abundance of inferior products. I just ignore them.

4) Negativity - Any forum of this size will have some of it. I don't see any need to express dislike for someone's coin. Don't say anything at all. Express your opinion by not buying it (wait, has that been said here before?!). Above all, show respect. That's what it comes down to. I usually don't like soapbox comments but I could not restrain myself.

Lastly, since I'm an infrequent poster I'll mention that I have not made or sold any coins (though I have a personal in the works that I do not expect to sell). And on a peripheral note, I subscribe to the "buy one for the collection, buy one for the cache" philosophy of coin collecting.

Thanks to all coin minters who make this fun.

Generally speaking I am in almost complete agreement with CinemaBoxers. Additional thoughts as follows:

1) Jumping the shark - There is no question that the range of quality is way broader now than it was at the "beginning". That is natural. Does that mean that there are not wonderful coins being produced today? Of course not. There are outstanding coins that are universally loved and mediocre coins that are ignored and everywhere in between. It is not a decline in quality, just a broadening. This is okay.

2) Profits - I have no problem with people (including non-geocachers or newbie cachers) making money on geocoins. If there is a crappy coin it won't sell well. And if it does then that's a pretty good indication of a hot market and kudos to those who take advantage of it (can you tell I went to business school?). And if it's a good coin, well, great! It does not matter to me if you have 1,000 finds or 0 finds or if the coin is geocaching-related or not or if you love to geocache or just love to make money off of geocachers. While I may have a preference for a "geocaching" coin from a "geocacher" it is no more than that. Some of my favorite coins are from geocoinists, not geocachers.

3) Lame coins - If I don't like the coin I simply won't buy it (wait, has that been said here before?!). Does it bother me that a coin does not meet my standards? Of course not. I don't walk around the mall and get annoyed by the abundance of inferior products. I just ignore them.

4) Negativity - Any forum of this size will have some of it. I don't see any need to express dislike for someone's coin. Don't say anything at all. Express your opinion by not buying it (wait, has that been said here before?!). Above all, show respect. That's what it comes down to. I usually don't like soapbox comments but I could not restrain myself.

Lastly, since I'm an infrequent poster I'll mention that I have not made or sold any coins (though I have a personal in the works that I do not expect to sell). And on a peripheral note, I subscribe to the "buy one for the collection, buy one for the cache" philosophy of coin collecting.

Thanks to all coin minters who make this fun.

Well Said!

PGH, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. If you weren't around way back when, then you can't understand where some of us are coming from. Yes, I said it, not everyone can understand. Perhaps Kealia should have titled it, "Old timers let's get together and talk about jumping shark."

Maybe one day it will all turn around, there will be no more icons, only 1 or 2 coins a month coming out and then the people of this coin era will come in and gripe for the "good ole days" of icons, tons of new coins and such. For those who like the "choices" and the broader spectrum of "art", would you be disappointed if this went away? Oh wait, I know, you'd just sit quietly and not say a word, cuz you wouldn't want to say anything "negative". Flip it around.

Some of us don't like it, get over it, and stop telling us we don't have a right to speak our feelings. If you don't like what "we" have to say then block us from the posts and you don't have to see it. Then you won't see one, or eight or how many ever posts "we" write. The people with the "don't be so negative" posts come back and say the same thing just as much, I don't hear complaining about the fact that they say the same thing over and over, it's the same thing.

I think what is truly sad is that people aren't allowed to have differing opinions without being told that they are wrong. Cinemaboxers likes the new way, (sorry, just grabbing a name), that's ok with me. I don't, that should be ok too. Why is so hard for people to have a good discussion or argument without taking everything personally? I think that's what it really boils down to is taking things personally. If someone says they don't like a coin I am selling, ok, I don't take it personally, I go on selling. It is ok, to actually not all like the same thing. I don't think of it as an attack on my character, why would it be? This has become a business, be it big or small, and with that comes people telling you what they think.

PGH, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. If you weren't around way back when, then you can't understand where some of us are coming from. Yes, I said it, not everyone can understand. Perhaps Kealia should have titled it, "Old timers let's get together and talk about jumping shark."

Maybe one day it will all turn around, there will be no more icons, only 1 or 2 coins a month coming out and then the people of this coin era will come in and gripe for the "good ole days" of icons, tons of new coins and such. For those who like the "choices" and the broader spectrum of "art", would you be disappointed if this went away? Oh wait, I know, you'd just sit quietly and not say a word, cuz you wouldn't want to say anything "negative". Flip it around.

Some of us don't like it, get over it, and stop telling us we don't have a right to speak our feelings. If you don't like what "we" have to say then block us from the posts and you don't have to see it. Then you won't see one, or eight or how many ever posts "we" write. The people with the "don't be so negative" posts come back and say the same thing just as much, I don't hear complaining about the fact that they say the same thing over and over, it's the same thing.

I think what is truly sad is that people aren't allowed to have differing opinions without being told that they are wrong. Cinemaboxers likes the new way, (sorry, just grabbing a name), that's ok with me. I don't, that should be ok too. Why is so hard for people to have a good discussion or argument without taking everything personally? I think that's what it really boils down to is taking things personally. If someone says they don't like a coin I am selling, ok, I don't take it personally, I go on selling. It is ok, to actually not all like the same thing. I don't think of it as an attack on my character, why would it be? This has become a business, be it big or small, and with that comes people telling you what they think.

Well said!

I believe everyone has the right to speak their opinion. Good or bad, that is what feed back is. I choose only to state a bad opionion of a coin in certain circumstances. That is when pricing is way too high, and the seller tries to falsely justify it.

Coins haven't jumped the shark. The Geocoins have changed and evolved. That happens. People want to build a "better mousetrap". They want to use their imaginations to create something beautiful, or cute or...whatever their vision is. And some people just want to make money. I'm not an old timer, but I've learned to tell the difference.

Well Said!

One problem is that you do need a line between what is and isn't a Geocoin.

Wheat pennies obviously would not be tracked on cointracking.com.

Maybe another shark moment is when the community gecomes devided right down the middle on if a coin actually is a geocoin worthy of putting on cointracking.com or into a geocoin database.

No one said to not have an opinion, but its common courtesy to show respect while doing so.

Saying someones idea is crappy IMO isnt respectful, since its wholly opinion based.

I never said dont have an opinion, Id just like to see peoples opinions stay clear of hurtful; and spoken in a tactful way. I dont think thats a horrible expectation.

And.. Im not taking it personally - I just feel as strongly about LIKING the way things are as I know them, and enjoying myself in the process as much as you feel like you wish it would go back to how it was.

I think no one should be made to feel 'bad' about either...

Is it possible maybe some of you "old timers" are too rigid in your views and simply have a difficult time adjusting to change? As I stated earlier it is just a natural course of events that this sport and the satelite hobbys that spin off of it evolve over time. THIS is a fact that can not be denied so get over it. Whether this evolution is for the better or for the worse remains to be seen. I do know that from what I have seen in one of the latest coin threads (Black Box's No Smoking coin) that revived this thread one person used 3 posts to disrespect that persons personal coin, and another used 8 posts to accomplish the same goal though I seriously doubt that neither of these authors will take responsibility for the negativity, sarcasm, and disrespect that was poured on this "personal" coin. The operative word here is PERSONAL. Yes, you have the right to say you don't like the coin and to state the reason(s) why and decline to purchase it. You don't have the right to carry on like a bully on a playground with the bashing, sarcasm and disrespect of a personal coin post after post after post. Simply state you'll pass on the coin because it is unrelated to caching in "your" opinion or whatever reason you might have and move on. I suspect that anyone else but a mod doing this would have been swiftly dealt with. I am not so niave as to not understand that with position comes privlege. But positon and privlege also potentially and unfortunately opens the door to abuse as well. This is a sociological fact, one needs to look no futher than studies on police abuse to understand this concept. Just something to think about.

Wow, this is all over the place, but I'll see if I can respond.

1) Nope, not too rigid. I've seen caching as a whole evolve as well (puzzle caches, Earthcaches, etc.) and I like the direction it's gone. Getting rid of virtuals..... :blink: I can handle change just fine, but I'll speak out against change I don't like.

2) I posted three times in that thread, with the third directing people who wanted to carry the conversation on to come to this thread. I opened a new thread about this, and was then reminded that a thread about this was started a year or so ago so they got merged. And lo and behold, it wasn't me who started the thread last time :unsure:

3) A bully? C'mon. It's a grown up conversation. Nobody called the maker of that coin a crook, a jerk, or anything else. The comments were directed at the product. You need to be able to tell the difference between critiquing a product or an idea and attacking a person.

4) I didn't see a moderator posting in that thread. And referencing police abuse? That's one step away from invoking Godwin's Law...

Is this discussion about coins or the right to have a opinion?

If it's about the right to have a opinion then I believe everybody here agrees that everybody else has a right to a opinion. Personally I feel that having the right to a opinion doesn't give me the right to post it, as I feel courtesy should have effect on my whether or not I do so. If I posted my opinion on every cache that I felt was lame, whether it be due to location , style of hide, or silly rules. Considering that the hider may be disabled or with out a vehicle, how can I decide where cache is hidden. Maybe the hider has only found lamp skirt caches and doesn't realize that others may be tired of them, perhaps they do and felt like offering something simple back to the community. Or could it be that the hider is tired of walking up the hill and grabbing the cache from under a bush, fallen log, or pile of rocks and wanted to offer something a little more challenging. I would most likely upset some people if I were to post negative comments that were biased by my own opinion. And in fact have. Personally I don't need it.

If this is about coins, then I am at loss. I can remember when the coins being produced were few. I can remember when there were fewer places to go to have a coin made. I can remember when there were fewer coins to select from, with less variety in how they looked. There were no glitter coins, no glow in the dark, and few personal coins.

With the many coins being minted, more people have opened up shop to do the minting. While I could wrong (and most likely am) I would think that this has brought down the cost of minting a coin, which might have some bearing on the number of people willing to have a coin minted. Is that wrong? Does it matter? Not to me.

If someone wants to take the time to create a coin and spend the money to have it minted, then more power to them. As to whether or not the coin is caching related, I imagine it would depend on the individuals perspective. While I may feel that a coin has nothing to do with caching, I can respect the fact that someone took the time to create something that they could feel proud of. It's do to this respect that I keep my opinion to myself.

What I really have a problem with is figuring out why I posted to this thread :unsure: . Is anyone really enjoying it?

Edited by kusanagi

Wow, this is as hot a topic as it was a year ago. And as usual, there are multiple camps that can't see each other's point of view.

By defining jumping the shark as "ceased to be geocaching related," I guess they jumped the start at the outset - Moun10Bike coins are a personal trackable coin - but it really isn't related to caching, it is related to the cacher and his interests. The USA geocoin had little to do with caching other then being intended to travel from cache to cache (which, almost all subsequent geocoin issued do to some extent). And there is nothing magical about the availability of those coins in caches - they were kept / stolen several years ago too. I think that coins may last as least as long if not longer in circulation today than they did a year or two ago. And, with the enormous growth in number of caches, they can be found rather regularly - in caches!

If the more traditional definition of jumping the shark is used - they obviously haven't. Geocoins are apparently still on the upswing. Many folks aren't happy with the direction that they've taken - which leads to their belief that they have jumped the shark. I tend to think that is a reactionary point of view.

Geocaching had evolved and continues to evolve (IMO - in some ways for the better, in some ways not) - I still enjoy finding caches, and appreciate the good ones even more. The same is true of geocoins. Interest in geocoins and the demand that it has produced have inevetably led to changes (IMO - some for the better, and some not). There is junk out there. there are coins that I have no interest in. But innovation and overall quality continue to improve - and I, for one, appreciate the choice, quality, and availability of geocoins today.

Just because I need to exercise more self control and choose to pass on many more coins (including some very nice ones) dosen't mean that they have passed their prime and jumped the shark.

And to revisit the Moun10bike example above - that coin was an expression of the cacher who created it - but that is unlikely to be the sole root of its appeal as a geocoin. Newer "commercial" geocoins are expressions of the cacher who buys them. People like them for what they are and choose to keep or cache them according to their own interests - just like any other collecable or TB.

OK, I've read a few other posts and I think that I am coming to see perspective of those who think geocoins have jumped the shark. A statement to the effect that relatively new cachers (<1 1/2 years of experience) don't really know what geocoins were like in the past made me think a bit deeper.

If you were into geocoins over 1 1/2 years ago, things have changed quite a bit. If you found one in a cache, I bet it was a joyful experience, and trading personal coins in person would provide a nice momento of cachers met along the way.

I only cached intermittantly for the first year and have been fairly active for the last two. I never know about geocoins until I saw a USA geocoin as a TB in a cache. I thought it was a cool idea and as I did more research I slowly became addicted. I think that geocoins today are a positive evolution from where they were the first time I encountered one.

From my perspective (I've never seen a non-trackable, personal coin in a cache). So, to me, the geocoins of the "good old days" were little more than classy signature items. A step up from wooden nickels, cow seeds, poker chips, bags of wheat pennies or the transit token collections that I leave in caches. They certainly would have been (and are) collectable in their own right - but they strike me as being mearly another (rare) signature item. (I don't mean to disparage sig items either, actually I collect them to some extent.)

My opinion hasn't really cahnged - I like prefer geocoins as they are now to where they were 1.5 years ago (e.g., not jumped the shark) and I still think that longing for the "good old days" is a bit reactionary. I would encourage those who think that geocoins have jumped the shark to consider that, with more geocachers an people interested in geocoins out there, there are probably more "personal" and geocaching related geocoins out there than ever before. They may be a smaller percentage of the total, but there still has been an explosion in the number of "traditional" geocoins along with the "chaff."

My parting thought (for now) is: Don't miss the trees for the forest.

Edited by tokencollector

Tokencollector has a good point.

My boyfriend is an old time cacher. He tells me about the days when you had to travel to find caches. There weren't film cannisters under every lamp post. The caches took you to places you might not even know exist.

Now days, and since I've been caching, there are thousands of caches everywhere. Alot of them are not well thought out or clever. They are helpful in running up your numbers.

My boyfriend misses the "good old days". So what we do, instead of going on cache runs to see how many we can get in a day, is that we are a little choosier in our cache selection. We don't feel we have to claim every cache that gets published. We choose the nice ones out in the woods. And we really enjoy it.

Same can be done with coins. There are always going to be coins that someone doesn't like, but I'm still seeing some that are non-trackable personal coins. I'm still seeing some that relate to geocaching. Grab those.

Nice summaries in the last few posts IMO.

At this point, I think all has been said. Not sure if I can ask to close a topic that wasn't mine to start with (the original opened over a year ago and mine got merged).

Does anybody have an issue with this one being closed?

Tokencollector has a good point.

My boyfriend is an old time cacher. He tells me about the days when you had to travel to find caches. There weren't film cannisters under every lamp post. The caches took you to places you might not even know exist.

Now days, and since I've been caching, there are thousands of caches everywhere. Alot of them are not well thought out or clever. They are helpful in running up your numbers.

My boyfriend misses the "good old days". So what we do, instead of going on cache runs to see how many we can get in a day, is that we are a little choosier in our cache selection. We don't feel we have to claim every cache that gets published. We choose the nice ones out in the woods. And we really enjoy it.

Same can be done with coins. There are always going to be coins that someone doesn't like, but I'm still seeing some that are non-trackable personal coins. I'm still seeing some that relate to geocaching. Grab those.

I totally agree with Joni's sentiments on coins and caches :lol: I'd rether hike for two hours and find one cache, than go looking for skirtlifters ect...

I haven't read the whole thread because it is very long, but I just wanted to say that we produced a coin so we would have a signature item to place in caches. We sold some to help cover the cost and have a large number left over that we will slowly be releasing into the wild.

I buy geocoins that have a design that appeals to me without looking at who produced it or why.

About Non Geo related coins; I think of Geocoins as a better travel bug. You buy the coins you like and skip the ones you don’t. I have seen many travel bugs and the only thing most of them have in common with geocaching is a tracking number. The coins have a little better appeal so some go missing after getting put in a cache but to see my kids face light up when they find a coin geocaching related or not is why I make and release coins into caches. I feel as soon as you pay for and place a tracking number on your coin it now is geocaching related. That’s my just my opinion.

Still stand by: October 2005 --- before that only geo-orgs, events and personals were made. Every one of the 'old timers' in this thread contributed to the jumping. :lol:

Fair point.

I think a few old timers should product a Shark Coin symbolic of our angst or joy and mark this moment in history. If we could agree on the design...

I think a few old timers should product a Shark Coin symbolic of our angst or joy and mark this moment in history. If we could agree on the design...

...And if we could all agree on the number made, the metals, the LE metals, the XLE metals, the XXLE sample proof only metals and the ebay only version of the coin... hehe :lol:

I don't see the need to close it. If no one has anything else to say about it, it will drop off the boards. If people need a place to vent, why not let them come here. It doesn't hurt anyone, and can be a rather cleansing experience to get some of this off your chest. To me closing a thread like this is more like sweeping it under the rug. I don't see anything wrong with having some crumbs on the carpet. It shows we are living here.

Well, we all know I'm full of angst, what's your excuse?

Wow. That's a high-school flashback. Thanks for the memories!

Actually, I don't really need one. I don't make a habit of needing excuses for anything. But I appreciate your concern just the same.

Their coins, not kidney's. No angst to speak of here.

Hey now! Where's my popcorn?!

Well, we all know I'm full of angst, what's your excuse?

Wow. That's a high-school flashback. Thanks for the memories!

Actually, I don't really need one. I don't make a habit of needing excuses for anything. But I appreciate your concern just the same.

Their coins, not kidney's. No angst to speak of here.

Hey now! Where's my popcorn?!

When Hula Bum complains about angsty topics they give specifics and details. You have no doubt what the topic is, what the problem is, whey they don't like it. You get info information to know if you agree or disagree. Then you can reply according to your own position.

However reading your last few posts, you are making angsty posts about angst without much meat in the post. Other than your general angst creating, anti angst, posts it's hard to see what you are actually getting at.

Bottom line. You are not communicating. Either articulate your position better, or your posts will skimmed over as nothing but popcorn fluff.