Geocoins - Jumped The Shark?

Not So Lost Puppies

<snip>

And let's face it, everyone is making a profit on this board, it just depends on how much.

Um, no. Not everyone.

I still stand by what I said, but just an FYI you are quoting something that is over a year old....

Ok, it's a year old. My opinion is the same.

Edited by ScoutingWV

I just think its somewhat insulting to belittle anyones coins - whether you like them or not.

Why insinuate any coin 'isnt worthy'...

Bottom line is, if you dont like them dont buy them.

We all collect for different reasons. I wouldnt buy many caching related coins because I didnt like the art or design, but I buy coins that appeal to me artistically, so perhaps thats my reason for buying what I do.

Opinions differ, and Im glad in a sense. I love watching the new designs on the forum... really enjoy it.

I just think its somewhat insulting to belittle anyones coins - whether you like them or not.

Why insinuate any coin 'isnt worthy'...

Bottom line is, if you dont like them dont buy them.

We all collect for different reasons. I wouldnt buy many caching related coins because I didnt like the art or design, but I buy coins that appeal to me artistically, so perhaps thats my reason for buying what I do.

Opinions differ, and Im glad in a sense. I love watching the new designs on the forum... really enjoy it.

Nobody is belitting anybody. There are some of us who think that a lot of the coins today have no relation to caching - is that wrong?

The "if you don't like it..." seems to be the point that those who disagree fall back on. Once again, it's ok for everybody to post that they like it, but not ok for people to post that they don't. Doesn't seem quite fair. Sounds a lot like "if you like it, say so, if you don't don't post at all".

Finally, if these discussions make people stop and think, and heaven forbid, not make a coin that has nothing to do with caching that's a good thing.

That means two things have happened:

1) Enough people have said "enough"; AND

2) Somebody listened to the market

We're not at that point, as evidenced by the sales of coins at this point, but it doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

Just as others have the right to make any coin they want, we have the right to state our displeasure with the design, the way coins are going, etc.

Yep gotta long for those good old days:

- The days when you really could never find a geocoin in a cache.

- The days when almost every coin on ebay sold for $20+

- The days when you had to be on the coin forums every minute of every day in order to have a chance at new coin issues.

- The days where you had to do a trackable coin, but in order to do a trackable coin with an icon you had to have a huge bank account.

- The days with no geocoin fairy, geocoin Easter bunny, no geocoin secret agent

- The days . . . . . well feel free to add to the list.

Those were the days weren’t they!

:anitongue:

Again, what does this have to do with caching-related coins.

The answer to every coin question isn't "there's more coins in caches".

We disagree on most things, that's clear. Does that mean that you can't reply on-topic though?

Who's belittling? I haven't seen anyone come out and call a coin "ugly" or anything of the sort. Saying that it isn't geocaching related is a statement of fact, nothing other. People seem to have a hard time telling the difference between a statement of fact and a personal attack.

People collect for different reasons you are right. I think it's sad that geocoins are now largely collector items that aren't specific to geocaching. They can and have been marketed to other collectors outside of caching and I think that's a bummer. I liked when they meant something in the realm of geocaching. I wish they would go back to geocoins, not just coins, cuz to me, if it's not related to geocaching somehow(personals with caching name on them by definition is related), then it's not a geocoin.

Just wondering ... Of all of us commenting on this topic, how many of the coins were have an issue with do we have in our collections?

I've got about 6 I bought at inflated prices on eBay because I wanted them and could not get them through trades.

Not a single one.

Just wondering ... Of all of us commenting on this topic, how many of the coins were have an issue with do we have in our collections?

I've got about 6 I bought at inflated prices on eBay because I wanted them and could not get them through trades.

I can easily say "none".

I had received a coin here or there that I didn't want (an extra thrown in via trade, a secret santa coin, etc.) that I put into a cache as swag for somebody that would want it.

Not a single one.

That's interesting. I think that as our collections grow and with the saturation in the market, we'll end up with some. My collection is relatively small, only about 200 or so. Wonder about other folks?

Not a single one.

That's interesting. I think that as our collections grow and with the saturation in the market, we'll end up with some. My collection is relatively small, only about 200 or so. Wonder about other folks?

it's all a personal choice. Whether it's geolicious or truckin, i'm sure it won't be in my binder. No matter when.

<snip>

The "if you don't like it..." seems to be the point that those who disagree fall back on. Once again, it's ok for everybody to post that they like it, but not ok for people to post that they don't. Doesn't seem quite fair. Sounds a lot like "if you like it, say so, if you don't don't post at all".

<snip>

Well this is done because of good manners. I was taught this and teach this to my girls this: "If you can not say something nice, do not say anything at all."

So that falls into that category. It is quite fair....your silence and not purchasing/trading speaks to the point that you do not like the coin (or whatever).

So yes it is fair that the negative not be welcome but the positive comments are welcomed. That would lead me to believe that most people live by that life rule above and practice it.

There is a plenty of coins that IMO are not good, not caching related and/or do not appeal to me, I just do not buy them.

I am still fairly new to this crazy little coin game- I have only been at it for about 6 months, so for me its still very exciting, although even in that time I have noticed a jump in the coins out here.

I like the personals the best, even if they are not totally cache related, they are personal to a cacher who has had them made.

As far as all the others- we can just pic and choose what best fits OUR interests. If people dont like a coin they wont buy it, if people really like a coin- They still get all bought up and sold on Ebay for more that they originally cost.

I dont think we've jumped the shark yet, but its to the point of sink or swim with your coin designs. They will get better and more creative or people wont buy them. With new cachers everyday discovering coins, they have no choice but to buy whats out there, I think the coins will last, and we will keep buying them, but with somany out there, now we cant just buy what is out there...there is just too many now.

I recently saw in another forum that a group was hesistant to post their new coin in this forum because of all the negativity. They had a geocaching group coin at a reasonable price. That is sad that the reputation of this forum discourages valid coins. I'd rather wade through a hundred coins I don't want to find the one jewel that I do, than to miss that one coin entirely because people are too afraid to post here.

In reference to a recent coin post. So if you don't like a specific coin for whatever reason then by all means express yourself, say you don't like it and state why if you are inclined to do so. But say it just once, then move on. Some posters though can't help themselves and go on what appears to be a rant and post several messages saying more or less the same thing which does nothing but fan the flames of discontent. One poster used 3 posts to expresses his/her dislike in the coin and another poster used 7, yes count them, 7 posts to state they disliked the coin. Call it what you want. . . bashing, disrespecting, belittling, whatever, I just call it boredom and an unwillingness to go with the flow. Like many things, this game has a life of its own and is evolving. If you don't like the track it is on feel free to hop off at the next stop. If you stick around just say what ya mean and mean what you say but for crying out loud spare us all and only say it once.

<snip>

<snip>

Well this is done because of good manners. I was taught this and teach this to my girls this: "If you can not say something nice, do not say anything at all."

So that falls into that category. It is quite fair....your silence and not purchasing/trading speaks to the point that you do not like the coin (or whatever).

So yes it is fair that the negative not be welcome but the positive comments are welcomed. That would lead me to believe that most people live by that life rule above and practice it.

There is a plenty of coins that IMO are not good, not caching related and/or do not appeal to me, I just do not buy them.

So, if your child has something on their plate that they don't like what do they do? It's not ok for them to state that they don't like something? Saying that they don't like something is ok if you ask me, it means they/we have an opinion and I think kids and adults alike are entitled to them. It's not necessary to be rude about it, that's the difference. Silence does not speak the point as it can mean any number of things.

In reference to a recent coin post. So if you don't like a specific coin for whatever reason then by all means express yourself, say you don't like it and state why if you are inclined to do so. But say it just once, then move on. Some posters though can't help themselves and go on what appears to be a rant and post several messages saying more or less the same thing which does nothing but fan the flames of discontent. One poster used 3 posts to expresses his/her dislike in the coin and another poster used 7, yes count them, 7 posts to state they disliked the coin. Call it what you want. . . bashing, disrespecting, belittling, whatever, I just call it boredom and an unwillingness to go with the flow. Like many things, this game has a life of its own and is evolving. If you don't like the track it is on feel free to hop off at the next stop. If you stick around just say what ya mean and mean what you say but for crying out loud spare us all and only say it once.

I agree. Doubt even a Mod will slow this one, down, though.

"So, if your child has something on their plate that they don't like what do they do? It's not ok for them to state that they don't like something? Saying that they don't like something is ok if you ask me, it means they/we have an opinion and I think kids and adults alike are entitled to them. It's not necessary to be rude about it, that's the difference. Silence does not speak the point as it can mean any number of things.

"

They better NOT!! My children have been taught to leave it on their plate or if they have never tried to have a "thank you helping" to go out of your way to say you don't like something, is rude at the dinner table or elsewhere. Unless you are asked frankly.

We all collect what we like, but some of us dont feel the need to point out all our dislikes.

And, its one thing to voice an opinion, but another thing entirely to be negative for the sake of being negative.

What does pointing out "I dont like this type of coin" accomplish? Basically, it comes down to "We heard your opinion, thanks, have a nice day." Or, is something else expected? Should there be rules for what can or cant BE a coin? That would be pretty lame and boring.

But, the opinions of some of the folks here have been duly noted!

So.. in all honesty, the best bet for us all is to enjoy the coins WE all like, and Have a nice day! :anitongue:

Sorry... but while peoples opinions may be valid, there are some that everyone doesnt need to hear. Particularly openly negative ones, IMO.

Wouldn't that always result in a false positive and be the most one sided story in history?

Imagine if we followed this logic in everyday life. There would be no war protests, only one political party (although I am unsure how we can decide which one without a debate), companies would be able to gouge us for any amount on any product they so choose since we couldn't complain or say anything negative about it. All quetion forms would be replaced from the standard "Yes or No" to simply state "I Agree" as the only choice since disagreeing would not be very positive. American Idol would have to find 2 more Paula Abduls that only know how to say nice things. Sorry randy and Simon. Honesty just won't work here, unless you have something nice to say. Dating would be a whole new adventure. It would be the end of "I wonder if she likes me". Of course she does! I have never heard her say one thing bad about you. I am unsure how break ups would go, or even be allowed for that matter. We could do away with My Space since everyone would be automatically linked to each other in this love fests of sorts. Hey this sounds familiar. Didn't the hippies try this in the 60's? I don't think it worked out too well. Yea there were some good parties and such, but it was and still is totally unrealistic. Give me an honest upfront person anyday. I would rather know where I stand with you than have you pretend to be all nicey any day. But that's me.

<snip>

<snip>

So, if your child has something on their plate that they don't like what do they do? It's not ok for them to state that they don't like something? Saying that they don't like something is ok if you ask me, it means they/we have an opinion and I think kids and adults alike are entitled to them. It's not necessary to be rude about it, that's the difference. Silence does not speak the point as it can mean any number of things.

It is fine for my children (all children) and adults to have opinions. I have lots of opinions. The problem comes in when you are being disrespectful to other people.

If my girls have beets on their plates they sure enough better try it first and then can respectfully tell me they do not like beets. It does not hurt the beets feelings or mine even if I am the one who cooked the beets.

If my girls get a handmade ugly sweater from Aunt Hilda for Christmas...they better not ever open it and say I do not like this sweater and I will never wear it. It hurts Aunt Hilda's feelings and you can bet they will be in hot water with me.

There is the difference....we should not intentionally hurt others feelings by posting negative comments about someones geocoin.

Now.. I believe you read my post wrong. Nothing is wrong with voicing an opinion, nothing at all. But posting something negative for the sake of being negative is the fastest way to 'run off' people who are here for enjoyment.

Not everyone will agree, or get along, and respectfully disagreeing is one thing. But, I think that stating "I dont like" or "Ruining the hobby" are very specific opinions, and nothing more. And, I think there are more productive ways to show an opinion - where any money changes hands - dont buy the product.

Again, just my opinion. I love a good discussion, but when things get overtly negative, it gets to where its just not fun. Who wants that?

<snip>Give me an honest upfront person anyday. I would rather know where I stand with you than have you pretend to be all nicey any day. But that's me.

Yep - I agree. But do you want to be constantly reminded of it over and over and over and over by the same person/people? Once you have the opinion, isn't that enough?

And, when it comes to people I use the same theory.. I may or may not like someone, but Im not rude about it. And, I dont point it out. I just dont go near them, and generally dont involve myself with those people.

Like coins, if I dont like em, I wont buy em. Same with people.. if I dont like em, you wont find them in my collection! :anitongue:

Aunt Hilda's sweater and someone selling something are two very different things.

Business vs. personal, very different beasts. Ever sat in a board room? It's not like sitting around a Christmas tree, and that's exactly how it has to be to come up with the best solution/product/whatever.

Edited by Hula Bum

hmmmmm ... had another thought. Does everyone in here actually collect coins? Seems like that could speak to whether or not the hobby has jumped the shark or not. Have they become so popular that people who don't even collect them are here observing, commenting, not caching - just posting.

Aunt Hilda's sweater and someone selling something are two very different things.

Yes, Aunt Hilda you have no choice - you are stuck with it. But a coin, you have the freedom to not buy.

And the Lovefest coin? Hey, would be a pleasant change! LOL

:laughing: The Fragglestock coin is pretty close! :anitongue:

I recently saw in another forum that a group was hesistant to post their new coin in this forum because of all the negativity. They had a geocaching group coin at a reasonable price. That is sad that the reputation of this forum discourages valid coins. I'd rather wade through a hundred coins I don't want to find the one jewel that I do, than to miss that one coin entirely because people are too afraid to post here.

I'm with you on this; if a particular geocoin doesn't float my boat, I won't buy it, but I'd rather see the design and make up my mind based on that, rather than never see it at all. One thing, though, that prospective issuers need to have is a bit of a thick skin. They should be looking at this board a bit like a geocaching "American Idol". I'm a Randy-type, but there are Paulas and Simons here, and they all serve a purpose. Opinions are just that: opinions. We all have them, and as long as they are not expressed in a malicious way, they all have some value, even the negative ones. To just say "Ugly coin" serves no purpose, but to say, "If you would like a little advice, you might want to consider..." is fine. All of us with hides get the occasional negative comment; why is that acceptable, but not for a geocoin? A well-written, constructive negative comment can be more valuable than a hundred "Nice coin" comments.

I can certainly see the point of Hula Bum, Kealia and others. There are a lot of geocoins, some with really stunning designs, that don't seem all that linked to geocaching. OK, so what? Again, no one has to buy them. I really don't think that they are killing the geocoin sub-hobby. What is going to kill it, if anything does, is the geo-coin thief. As long as there are people out there who deliberately steal geocoins from caches, to keep in their own collections, there will be people who get turned off to the idea of sending them out into the world, which is the bottom-line of geocoins, IOHO. Most of the goecoins we buy *do* go into caches. Now, I'm not talking about the newbie who doesn't understand what TBs and geocoins are; that's a who-o-o-le other problem. I'm talking about intentional, malicious thievery. Many of us just shrug, but we need to be a little more pro-active about it. I'm not sure exactly how, but I'm certainly willing to listen to ideas.

... Does everyone in here actually collect coins? Seems like that could speak to whether or not the hobby has jumped the shark or not. Have they become so popular that people who don't even collect them are here observing, commenting, not caching - just posting.

We both collect and put them in geocaches. We don't keep one of every coin that we buy, although diminishing financial resources have forced us to make most of our purchases to be coins that we would want to keep one of. But some coins we just think are clever, and we buy a couple to pass around. We have several hundred coins in circulation, and a couple of hundred still in baskets at home that haven't been processed, most of which will go into caches, but one of each of which will go into our binders. I don't think that geocoins have peaked just yet; if anything, the craze is undergoing a 'market correction', as they say on Wall Street. It might go through a small down cycle, but I think that those who really enjoy them will then push the market into making coins that are more related to the hobby.

Edited by chaosmanor

<snip>Give me an honest upfront person anyday. I would rather know where I stand with you than have you pretend to be all nicey any day. But that's me.

Yep - I agree. But do you want to be constantly reminded of it over and over and over and over by the same person/people? Once you have the opinion, isn't that enough?

Who is constantly reminding anyone. I have been known on a very rare occassion to sometimes maybe possibly say that I didn not like a coin. When that happens it is usually initiated with a reason followed by a not interetsed. I don't tend to post this more than once, but I will get involved in a discussion about the issues if they arise. Now if another coin comes out that I have the same feelings about, I might post something similar, but it's a different coin. In no way can this be considered constantly reminding someone. I also can not be held accoutable if the same person is making coin after coin, like a buisness does, and I don't like the coin. Where I come from this is called feedback and typically companies pay for it. These minting machines should be happy they are getting it for free and not having to risk any overhead in the process.

If my girls get a handmade ugly sweater from Aunt Hilda for Christmas...they better not ever open it and say I do not like this sweater and I will never wear it. It hurts Aunt Hilda's feelings and you can bet they will be in hot water with me.

So it is better to pretend (lie) to Aunt Hilda and act like you like the sweater? Then next year she will take the time to make another and another. At some point honesty has to come into play. If I make you something and you don't like it, I would rather know than have you pretend to like it. To me that is worse than being mean. You don't have to be mean when you say you don't like it, just be honest. It's not my style, or color, or something. Heck a burst of laughter would even get the point across!

The bottom line is being honest will not hurt someones feelings nearly as bad than if they ever find out your true feelings that were hidden behind your falsse smile.

When ICE first started we tried to buy them all. We could not keep up. Then we ruled out all the commercial coins. We still could not keep up. Then we went to just State & Country coins (and the occasional other type that we get a scoop on for trades) and life got a heck of a lot better.

This kind of crap is what drove some geocoin collectors away. All of this negativity. There are a couple of cachers/ forum posters that if you look at 90% of their posts it is either something sarcastic or negative. If you don't like the coins coming out and are complaining about the cachers amounts of finds maybe you have too much time on your hands and need to go out caching yourself. Lets just end this nonsense and get back to caching and collecting coins. If you don't like it don't buy it. I myself think some coins are a waste of money and wonder why they were made but hey to each his own. I will never tell anyone their coin is not good enough to be in the system. Some opinions should be kept to ones self. I am stepping off of my soapbox now.

<snip>

And let's face it, everyone is making a profit on this board, it just depends on how much.

Um, no. Not everyone.

I still stand by what I said, but just an FYI you are quoting something that is over a year old....

Ok, it's a year old. My opinion is the same.

I think perhaps it depends on your personal definition of "profit". If your personal definition is "in your opinion, coming out better than you were before you had a coin made, whether that "better" means nicer / rarer / higher quantity of coins than you thought you'd get in trade or in actual money-in-the-bank", then Hula Bum is right. After all, why would anyone make a run of coins just to not trade them, not give them away, not put them in caches, or whatever it is you want to do with them? If "profit" means "accomplished / received more than I expected to with these coins", then yeah. EVERYONE will "profit".

If, however, you mean "make more actual cash money than you spent on them" then to say "everyone does it" is 100% wrong. We spent a few hundred to have our coins done. We have not sold ONE coin, and we will NOT sell our coins. One was sold on ebay long after a trade with someone. I had nothing to do with it, we did not see any money from that transaction, and since it was one of our earliest trades I had not indicated we would prefer it not be sold, so there really wasn't anything I could do about it. We won't ever get the money back that we spent on having the coins made, let alone get MORE money than the cost of the coin minting.

So I'm guessing the issue here is more a semantic one than an actual fact.

This kind of crap is what drove some geocoin collectors away. All of this negativity. There are a couple of cachers/ forum posters that if you look at 90% of their posts it is either something sarcastic or negative. If you don't like the coins coming out and are complaining about the cachers amounts of finds maybe you have too much time on your hands and need to go out caching yourself. Lets just end this nonsense and get back to caching and collecting coins. If you don't like it don't buy it. I myself think some coins are a waste of money and wonder why they were made but hey to each his own. I will never tell anyone their coin is not good enough to be in the system. Some opinions should be kept to ones self. I am stepping off of my soapbox now.

You speak as if what you are saying is factual rather than opinions. Do you have a solid source that backs up the statement about why people left? I personally know people who have quit or cut back collecting because they didn't like the random crud coming out. Not because they didn't like people speaking out about it.

You speak as if what you are saying is factual rather than opinions. Do you have a solid source that backs up the statement about why people left? I personally know people who have quit or cut back collecting because they didn't like the random crud coming out. Not because they didn't like people speaking out about it.

Who the heck would stop collecting because they didnt like a few coin designs? If thats a fact, then thats their priority, and I personally would consider them pretty fickle.

I think anyone avoids ANY scenario, whether its a group, a forum, etc, where excess negativity is found. I would. Why deal with it?

But, its somewhat funny to think that 'bad coins' are 'chasing off' collectors and forum members. Ive seen some I wouldnt buy myself, but none that would scare me off so horribly that Id forget collecting, and avoid the forums.

"Random Crud" is strongly based in opinion. And opinions differ. I for one would LOVE to be told about the opportunity to get any coin I might like. And I would encourage anyone to post their designs.

I enjoy them. Sorry some others dont feel the same...

But... IMO... <_<

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Edited by CinemaBoxers

...You speak as if what you are saying is factual rather than opinions. Do you have a solid source that backs up the statement about why people left? I personally know people who have quit or cut back collecting because they didn't like the random crud coming out. Not because they didn't like people speaking out about it.

It is factual, but no formal studies have been done that I know of. Just feedback I get confirming it. Some still collect but avoid if at all possible the geocoin forums due to disliking the negativity. I personally don't like most all of the kludge coins coming out. However I do like the enthusiams and fire that seems to inspire a lot of the kludge. Such is life.

...Who the heck would stop collecting because they didnt like a few coin designs?...

People who don't like seeing mud on an angle.

Geocoins started as a pesonal experession. A signature item. They evolved into showing pride in your state and your state geocaching organization. At that point they were pure and represented something real and something important, something that made coin collectors out of people who probably never even thought about it before in their lives.

Then it changed and the increasing crap/kludge coins debased the entire thing. Like watching that angel get hooked on crack...you know what's next, and you can't bear to watch a thing of beauty fall from grace.

Edited by Renegade Knight

This kind of crap is what drove some geocoin collectors away. All of this negativity. There are a couple of cachers/ forum posters that if you look at 90% of their posts it is either something sarcastic or negative. If you don't like the coins coming out and are complaining about the cachers amounts of finds maybe you have too much time on your hands and need to go out caching yourself.

I'm sure it has driven away a few. As PGHLooking said, though a lot have left because of the coins that are coming out and the direction that geocoins have taken. Yes, I've heard from a lot of them personally. I don't doubt your first statement, but it's not the ONLY reason people have left.

I'd like to hear the names of the folks that you think post 90% negative comments. I don't think that constitutes a personal attack - you're talking about their actions, not them personally. And how come we (those that have strong opinions) are told we have too much time on our hands and should be caching but the people who are cranking out a coin a month aren't told the same thing?? <_<

Exactly.

Who the heck would stop collecting because they didnt like a few coin designs? If thats a fact, then thats their priority, and I personally would consider them pretty fickle.

By that same logic, I would say that anybody who leaves this forum because it's too "negative" is fickle as well. What's the difference?

I think anyone avoids ANY scenario, whether its a group, a forum, etc, where excess negativity is found. I would. Why deal with it?

You say that - but you're still here, aren't you? :unsure:

"Random Crud" is strongly based in opinion. And opinions differ. I for one would LOVE to be told about the opportunity to get any coin I might like. And I would encourage anyone to post their designs.

Any nobody is saying they can't. A few posts ago you said that you agreed to disagree - which is commendable. You realize that we (meaning you and I and whoever else) can all have our opinions and not agree on them. That's our point. We're entitled to say "we don't like it" as much as you are to say that you do, right?

And if anybody is wondering why I'm still here if I don't like a lot of the designs coming out there's a few reasons:

1) I still enjoy enjoy the "community" aspect that is dwindling here (note that this is different than the "marketplace" aspect it's taken on)

2) I like to see the community help each other out (LoriDarlin was a great recent example)

3) There are still the occasional coins that come out that I like and want to keep tabs on (to buy or trade)

4) I have a lot of friends in here (really, I do)

5) When I like something or believe in something, I was taught to stand up for that and speak out to try and affect a change - not to run away from it. It would be easy to walk away and say "I'm through" but I've chosen to stay and defend what I like about coins and the way they used to be

edit to add:

6) I enjoy a good debate - note that there is a difference between a flame war and an adult conversation/debate

7) I like to learn about how others think

- Many times in the past I've asked people WHY they think a particular way to try and understand their POV only to be told "because I do and I don't have to answer to you". Never my intent. Just curious as to why people think the way they do and trying to understand but some folks just don't get it.

Luckliy, some do.

Edited by kealia

<snippage>

And if anybody is wondering why I'm still here if I don't like a lot of the designs coming out there's a few reasons:

<more snippage>

4) I have a lot of friends in here (really, I do)

<more snippage>

Yes, you do...maybe more than you even realize. <_<

5) When I like something or believe in something, I was taught to stand up for that and speak out to try and affect a change - not to run away from it. It would be easy to walk away and say "I'm through" but I've chosen to stay and defend what I like about coins and the way they used to be

Well.. as a comment, I certainly hope things dont change to the standards you seem to want - there are equally as many people here, if not more - who enjoy all the designs that come out. Many of us even enjoy (GASP) non-caching related coins. I know I do.

You can reminisce about how it used to be, or, think about how you would like it to be, but I personally love the fact that people in this hobby are free to design and mint coins about whatever they want, (and whenever they want for that matter.) As I, have the freedom to not purchase the ones that don't suit my taste.

I wouldn't want them to stop making coins just because I disagreed with the subject matter, or the design.

And while I absolutely disagree with the statement that the hobby has gone 'downhill' you are free to think just that. (And in that, Ill agree to disagree!)

But, again, its all a matter of a persons opinion.

This kind of crap is what drove some geocoin collectors away. All of this negativity. There are a couple of cachers/ forum posters that if you look at 90% of their posts it is either something sarcastic or negative.

...snip

Just playing devil's advocate here...

Maybe 90% of the stuff coming out is crap.

<_<

You say that - but you're still here, aren't you? :o

<_< Another GeoCide in the making or simply someone rather new jumping on the bandwagon to Niceyville. You be the judge. :unsure: