What's The Status Of Virtuals?

Thot

I must have misunderstood what happened at the turn of the year. I thought gc put an end to virtual caches. But, I had occasion to go to a virtual I'd logged a while back and noticed that the "log it" buttons still seem to work.

Yeah, it is my understanding that you can submit what used to be known as Virtual Caches over at the new site www.waypointing.com. Not exactly sure how it works wrt submission/approval and stuff but I think that they have their own forum where such questions might be answered. :rolleyes::P:P

I don't understand these replies. Or the mumbo jumbo in the references.

It was a simple question. Can you still log finds on virtuals. The answer is yes. I just created a find log for this virtual cache just to see if it could be done. As you can see I just logged it today (10 minutes ago, actually). The find was accepted and added to my virtual find count. You can go to my profile and check if you want.

It has been found 4 times this year not counting mine. The last find was on March 20

I did not actually find this cache and so I will delete my log, probably tomorrow after doubting Thomas' here have a chance to verify the log worked.

Edited by Thot
I did not actually find this cache and so I will delete my log, probably tomorrow after doubting Thomas' here have a chance to verify the log worked.

I don't think any one doubts that you were able to log a find on a virtual cache on Geocaching.com - there are still many active virtuals on the site which allow logging. Virtuals were NOT disabled at the end of last year.

Geocaching.com is no longer allowing the creation of new virtuals on the site, however.

New Virtual caches became very difficult to place on this site, then they became impossible to place on this site with the advent of Waymarking.

Because there are some excellent Virtual caches listed on GC.com, they were allowed to stay -- they were Grandfathered in. The Locationless caches were not Grandfathered. They were all archived at the first of the year.

I just logged a Virtual the other day, and one of my favorite caches is a Virtual, "SD Historical 1890," which required lots of work to log.

I don't understand these replies. Or the mumbo jumbo in the references.

It was a simple question. Can you still log finds on virtuals. The answer is yes. I just created a find log for this virtual cache just to see if it could be done. As you can see I just logged it today (10 minutes ago, actually). The find was accepted and added to my virtual find count. You can go to my profile and check if you want.

It has been found 4 times this year not counting mine. The last find was on March 20

Do you understand the difference between "locationless" and "virtual" caches? :D

I don't think any one doubts that you were able to log a find on a virtual cache on Geocaching.com - there are still many active virtuals on the site which allow logging. Virtuals were NOT disabled at the end of last year.

That was my question. There was at least one person who thought they had terminated virtuals. Me. That's why I asked the question. I was surprised to learn they were still active and findable/logable.

This leads to the next question. Is there any current plan to terminate virtuals, or will existing virtuals be grandfathered and be able to be logged from now on?

This leads to the next question. Is there any current plan to terminate virtuals, or will existing virtuals be grandfathered and be able to be logged from now on?

From this post in the Waymarking forum:

Not many virtual caches are being approved. What are you planning to do with virtual caches?

Early on we realized that virtual caches have their place as a way to introduce people to unique locations where a cache couldn't be placed. Since waymark categories are themes for what are essentially virtual caches, a waymark category will be the future location for virtual caches. As a result we will be removing the virtual cache listing from geocaching.com in favor of new waymark categories for these listings. You'll see that by adding virtuals to themes make them easier to seek out and enjoy.

Existing maintained virtuals on geocaching.com will be grandfathered on the web site, but we do not guarantee they will remain listed forever. We'll see how Waymarking goes.

Any more questions?

Bret

And hardly a "Getting Started" question is it? 1400 posts in this discussion forum since you've been here, I would think this qualifies under the regular Geocaching discussion forums. Moving it there from getting started, but it has already been answered, so maybe this can be closed?

After all the discussion last year, I believe the decision was finally made to keep the existing Virtuals on this site, which is a good thing. :D

Existing maintained virtuals on geocaching.com will be grandfathered on the web site, but we do not guarantee they will remain listed forever. We'll see how Waymarking goes.

Those are clear. Thanks.

And hardly a "Getting Started" question is it? 1400 posts in this discussion forum since you've been here, I would think this qualifies under the regular Geocaching discussion forums.

This is not intended to be a sarcastic retort. I really didn't know experienced members are not supposed to ask simple questions of fact in the Getting Started forum.

Yes, it can be locked.

Edited by Thot