Paperless Caching

Calkids

We got into Paperless with a Sony Clie SJ20. Monochromatic screen means extended battery life! Spent about $35-$50 (bought several); using GSAK to manage the pocket queries, and MapSource to map and track stuff. After shuffling papers, it is a great way to go. Before we go camping, or on any sort of excursion, I run a few pocket queries, and load up the GPS and the Clie with waypoints and info. I love it!

I also have the Palm M500. I had it before I started Geocaching and it was underused then.

I got a hard case for it because it gets used a lot now, and I have dropped it a few times trying to juggle it, my GPSr, my digital camera, and my walking stick . . . :anibad:

I also put the caches on the card, but if you don't have extra programs installed, that shouldn't be necessary. The 8 MB should be sufficient for more than 1000 caches. :laughing:

We got into Paperless with a Sony Clie SJ20. Monochromatic screen means extended battery life! Spent about $35-$50 (bought several); using GSAK to manage the pocket queries, and MapSource to map and track stuff. After shuffling papers, it is a great way to go. Before we go camping, or on any sort of excursion, I run a few pocket queries, and load up the GPS and the Clie with waypoints and info. I love it!

How do you transfer waypoints from gsak to mapsource?

I think any Palm device with an operating system of 3.0 or newer and about 2MB of memory will work. Later models with more memory just give you a little more speed and space. That may be nice, but it isn't needed. I used to use a Palm M505. Now I use my Treo 650 phone.

I'd like to start paperless caching - I have a M505, but I don't know how to use it. Is there specific software I need. Okay, I'll say it - "Help!"

I figure I have a palm, now what do I do?

How do you transfer waypoints from gsak to mapsource?

I am not sure I understand your question....Here is how I do it: I download my pocket inquiries, unzip them, and them open them into a database in GSAK. I sort, filter, whatever, then save it as a Palm file (I think it's *.pdb). I then send the waypoints to my Garmin GPS, and then I plug in the Palm Pilot and do a hot sync. At that point I have the waypoints on the GPS and the waypoint and description on the palm pilot. I can also save the waypoints as a mapsource file, and then it automatically opens to the Mapsource map. It sounds like a big process, but I get pretty quick at it. Hope this helps.

I think any Palm device with an operating system of 3.0 or newer and about 2MB of memory will work. Later models with more memory just give you a little more speed and space. That may be nice, but it isn't needed. I used to use a Palm M505. Now I use my Treo 650 phone.

I'd like to start paperless caching - I have a M505, but I don't know how to use it. Is there specific software I need. Okay, I'll say it - "Help!"

I figure I have a palm, now what do I do?

you only need two other programs #1 is GSAK, #2 is cachemate from smittyware.com this makes going paperless EASY, of course that is a purely personal opinion :huh:

As always it depends on how much lucre you want to spend and what you want to do with your kit. If you want to also use in a vehicle and out in the field I'd suggest a PocketPC the choice of mapping software is much wider. The screen clarity on something like an HP 4700 is superb coupled with a Bluetooth GPS you'll have a very fine setup. Shop around before you buy on eBay to make sure you know exactly what you want - good hunting. Pete.