Logging Caches For Multiple People?

GTSinner

My wife, BPTeller, and I have just recently started hunting and it is the most fun we've ever had. The process of logging a find has us a little baffled though. Do I have to log a posted comment every time I find a cache. The reason I ask is that my wife and I hunt together everytime and I usually log with "BPTeller and I found this one". Does she get credit for the find as well or does she have to post a commentl? :D

My wife, BPTeller, and I have just recently started hunting and it is the most fun we've ever had. The process of logging a find has us a little baffled though. Do I have to log a posted comment every time I find a cache. The reason I ask is that my wife and I hunt together everytime and I usually log with "BPTeller and I found this one". Does she get credit for the find as well or does she have to post a commentl? :D

To make things easier if you are going to be caching together all the time just make a team name and even if either one of you doesnt go on the caching trip you can at least log it as such. And if you want credit for the cache you have to at least acknowledge that you found it. Hope that helps

If you want your online find counts and logs to reflect what you did, then yes, you have to log your finds individually for each cache you find.

If you each want your own find counts and logs to reflect each find, then you each have to log each cache under your own accounts. If either or both of you don't care about such things, then no, you don't have to.

My wife and daughter cache with me frequently, but they don't even have GC.com accounts. They just don't care about that aspect of it. They just like getting out and looking for them.

There's very little here that you "have" to do.

-some don't log at all. - some don't use a gpsr. - some hunt at night. -some hunt kinda buff. - so, while you have to meet requirements to list a cache, you can log any way that makes you happy. Our "Team" does NOT log collectively, but one niece logs her family collectively. Some cheat on logs - doesn't really matter, nobody gets hurt, though some like to fuss a lot about it. Play the game the way you like.

Do you both get credit for a cache you found together? Sure, you both worked for it. So both of you can log "found its".

Similar to you, my wife and I have our own accounts and we each log our finds separately.

We decided on two accounts for a few reasons. First, I often hunt caches alone and my wife does too (albeit rarely), so it made sense to have our own accounts. Second, since I own many of the caches in our area, my wife could hunt and log them on her own account. If we hid and found the same caches under the same account it would not look right.

Some couples on the other hand choose a team name and will log all finds under that account.

My wife and daughter cache with me frequently, but they don't even have GC.com accounts. They just don't care about that aspect of it. They just like getting out and looking for them.

Similar deal in my household. The "team" uses my alias (which I use for a lot of things outside geocaching.com), but I will note in the logs who was along and who found it first (on two occasions it was my 4 1/2 year old son! I don't quite think he's ready to type or sign logs yet.... :P ).

My wife doesn't really want to have to remember to go through the whole process of logging, so as long as I note she was along (95+% of the time she is :P ), what swag was traded and if she was the one who found it first to note it she's OK with it all (this is why my typed logs get a bit long...... :rolleyes: )

Then there's my 14-year old nephew who sometimes goes with his dad and sometimes with us. He's kind of like SQ's wife and daughter in the quote above. He actually did create an account and did about 4 or 5 logs before starting to feel this way.....so I note (like yesterday) when he's with us too.

My family and friends involved have agreed to log in under the team concept..

Usually its like "who evers name of Team_Talisman"

With 7 children and 8 grandchildren and a few friends, this works the best for us....

They knew if they want to become independent they can at any time...

Dave from Team_Talisman

My husband and I have separate accounts, we thought that best since he caches on his lunch hour and I cache after work. We both cache together on the weekend. When we find a cache together, we both log it online, and I like reading his logs. I think the owners of the caches like reading the logs to see who's been there, and also to read about each person's experience.

When I read my husband's logs, I get to see my experience from his eyes, and it's usually different from what I expected. Mars, Venus, etc.

My husband and I each have individual accounts that we log our finds on and use to hide caches that the other one does not help to hide. We also have this team account that we use to hide joint hides, to log benchmarks, etc. We usually cache together, but if either of us is sent somewhere for work and learn of a nearby geocache, we will go hunt it alone.

We like to write online logs that tell a bit of the story of the hunt, or the sights. I enjoy reading logs that others write. Sometimes I go to a particular cache because of the story that someone else has told about the adventure.

My husband and I have separate accounts, mostly because there are a few (I know, a very few) finds that he has and I don't, or that I have and he doesn't. It also lets us sort the hides - if it was my idea to put a cache there, then my name is first on the listing, if it was his idea, his is. If you both want credit for the cache, then you both have to log it - even if one just writes "found with ___". If her find count doesn't matter to her, then no, she doesn't need to log them all - she'll know how many she has found, just by checking your found count.

I've seen two quite different team-concepts in Vienna (yep, Austria, no 'roos :ph34r: ):

The first one is the All-in-one team:

A group of three colleagues and friends and their two children formed a 5 head team. Logging was very tricky for them, because only the 1st finder of their team (when caching as not-complete team) could log a Find. When the 2nd one of them found the cache, maybe weeks later, he just logged a Note. I can't remember what happened if the 2nd was a non-finder, because a DNF after a Find would have looked funny. But I think this never happened. Still some Founds close in time but very distant from location made their find logs look confusing (sometimes all three addults cached on the same weekend, one in the Netherlands, the other on the Canary Islands and the 3rd one in Austria ) :P:D .

The second is a seperated family (just their accounts, not really a patchwork family):

The guy had his own account, the gal also. If they went caching together with their daughter, they logged under a 3rd (family) account. But somehow this was too fuzzy, so the daugther also got her own account, and they dropped their family account. So as some pre-posters said, if they all show up, three logs in a row occur.

My brother and I started geocaching a few months ago. We have separate user names, because we sometimes cache separately. We had some concern about both logging a find for the same cache when we were out together. Is that cheating? Obviously, one person sees it first. Then I started to think, even though my brother may have spotted it first (or vice versa), the other person is normally the one too busy looking at the GPS unit to do the actual searching. We are both then working to find the cache: one using his/her eyeballs, the other using the unit. Also, one person is driving, one person is navigating to the next cache.

So...I no longer feel guilty that we both log a find for the same cache.

Does this logic seem reasonable?

Edited by misfyred