Bug Repellent & Deet

It seems as though AVON has taken the DEET out of all their bug repellent. They say it is harmful and that all companies have stopped using DEET. Has anyone else heard this? We still have some Deep Woods Off with DEET from last year so we haven't been looking to buy any. But AVON has thier repellent on sale so I thought I'd get some, but there is no DEET.

I know that too much DEET is harmful but the amount in Deep Woods Off never bothered us. So has anyone used the AVON Bug Guard Plus Expedition? Is it true that there will be no more products with DEET on the market?

It seems as though AVON has taken the DEET out of all their bug repellent. They say it is harmful and that all companies have stopped using DEET. Has anyone else heard this? We still have some Deep Woods Off with DEET from last year so we haven't been looking to buy any. But AVON has thier repellent on sale so I thought I'd get some, but there is no DEET.

I know that too much DEET is harmful but the amount in Deep Woods Off never bothered us. So has anyone used the AVON Bug Guard Plus Expedition? Is it true that there will be no more products with DEET on the market?

I didn't think Avon had ever used DEET in it's products (which is why they don't work that well). I've also not heard of DEET products being pulled. In fact, there's only one product that comes close to working as well as DEET, and that's Picaridin. The only product sold in the US that uses it is Cutter Advanced (unless another product has recently been released). Picaridin has several advantages over DEET, such as not melting plastic it comes in contact with.

Few modern products have been tested as thoroughly, or used by as many people over an extended period of time without ill effect than DEET.

Used as directed DEET has been proven to be safe. In extremely rare cases there have been adverse reactions and in most cases they were attributed to misuse of the product.

I'll take my chances with DEET over contracting serious and sometimes fatal insect born diseases such as West Nile Virus, Lyme, Erlichosis, Babesoisis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Tick Typhus, STARI, Tularemia, St. Louis encephalitis, Tick Paralaysis, Relapsing Fever, Eastern Equine Encephalitis and Anaplasmosis. All are found in ticks or mosquitos in the US.

Until recently, DEET was the only efective insect repellent on the market. Lately Picaridin has also found to be effective. Since DEET has been used by hundreds of millions of people for nearly half a century without ill effect I think I'll stick with the proven product, rather than try something new like Picaridin.

This topic comes up every year at this time. If you are not using a product with deet in it you are not using an effective bug repellant.

Not necessarily true -- Permethrin works extremely well; it just takes more planning to use than DEET. You have to spray your clothes with it the day before you're planning to go out and let them dry outside for several hours; they'll then keep ticks and mosquitoes away for several weeks. You need to wear gloves and an air-filter mask while spraying.

As far as regular bug sprays go, though, I think you're right -- I've never seen anything work as well as DEET. Skin-so-Soft and other stuff like cactus-juice concoctions have never worked for me.

Last summer I started using both. They were a very effective combination; I was pretty much left alone by ticks and mosquitoes while in my Shroud-O-Poison. (Unfortunately I was still plagued by evil deerflies. :D )

Not necessarily true -- works extremely well; it just takes more planning to use than DEET. You have to spray your clothes with it the day before you're planning to go out and let them dry outside for several hours; they'll then keep ticks and mosquitoes away for several weeks. You need to wear gloves and an air-filter mask while spraying.

Permethrin can only be applied to clothing and as a result, only protects the part of the body covered by your clothing. Your arms, head, neck and legs (if wearing shorts) will not be protected by Permethrin alone.

I've been using Picaridin here in the Sunshine State since last summer. It's about as effective as DEET concoctions and lacks the odor and plastic melting properties in the older chemical. I'm outdoors a lot and use it to supplement the Permethrin treatments to my clothing.

I figure I've saved about a quart and a half of blood in that time. :D

While we're on the topic, what do pet owners use? We're a bit afraid to cover ourselves in DEET just to come home and make our cat sick. Sure we'd strip down ASAP upon coming home, and sure we'd shower ASAP...but dogs and cats have uncanny abilities to get into things, and we're quite concerned DEET would prove quite harmful to our furry little friends.

Perhaps some pet owners could share just what (and how) they use re: bug repllents?

Thanks.

Not necessarily true -- works extremely well; it just takes more planning to use than DEET. You have to spray your clothes with it the day before you're planning to go out and let them dry outside for several hours; they'll then keep ticks and mosquitoes away for several weeks. You need to wear gloves and an air-filter mask while spraying.

Permethrin can only be applied to clothing and as a result, only protects the part of the body covered by your clothing. Your arms, head, neck and legs (if wearing shorts) will not be protected by Permethrin alone.

Quite true, although when caching in the woods in the summer I always wear long pants and a long-sleeved shirt, and always have one of those dorky mesh head-nets handy. The only uncovered part of me is usually my hands. But I do usually spray DEET on my hands and head too.

Since DEET has been used by hundreds of millions of people for nearly half a century without ill effect I think I'll stick with the proven product, rather than try something new like Picaridin.

Picaridin is only "new" in the US. It's been used overseas for years. Cutter Advanced doesn't have quite the lasting power as some DEET products, but that's because they're only using a 7% mix. Like DEET, higher concentrations will last longer.

Thanks for replying. Last year we used Deep Woods Off with DEET and were very happy with it. A lady at work started selling AVON recently so I asked her if the products had DEET she said yes, then today gave me the story of DEET being pulled and no one is using it anymore but the AVON products were great etc. I thought that all sounded strange. I've never used the AVON products, but I know Deep Woods Off works so we'll stick with it.

To answer Mr and Mrs Wisearse, we have several cats and they never became sick from our DEET use. We used the lotion and put it on at the car before we started our hike. Normally when we came home we showered. I usually logged when my husband showered, and at least one of the cats has to be in my lap when I'm on the computer. No one ever got sick.

Thanks for replying. Last year we used Deep Woods Off with DEET and were very happy with it. A lady at work started selling AVON recently so I asked her if the products had DEET she said yes, then today gave me the story of DEET being pulled and no one is using it anymore but the AVON products were great etc. I thought that all sounded strange. I've never used the AVON products, but I know Deep Woods Off works so we'll stick with it.

Sounds like a bit of hooie being told to pump up the Avon sales. Stick with DEET, if you don't have any problems with it.

. . . (Unfortunately I was still plagued by evil deerflies. :D )

You might want to look at this product for deer fly control. :ph34r:

You know, I just might...

My father in law just takes a strip of duct tape, tapes the ends together so it has two sticky sides and puts it on his hat. Works the same as this product and is cheap, cheap, cheap.

. . . (Unfortunately I was still plagued by evil deerflies. :ph34r: )

You might want to look at this product for deer fly control. :D

My father in law just takes a strip of duct tape, tapes the ends together so it has two sticky sides and puts it on his hat. Works the same as this product and is cheap, cheap, cheap.

What a great idea ...

. . . (Unfortunately I was still plagued by evil deerflies. :ph34r: )

You might want to look at this product for deer fly control. :D

Good idea... too bad that the sticky side of camo-type duct tape doesn't have the camo pattern too. Would blend in nicely with my dorky green mesh head-net.

Try soybean oil. Works almost as good as deet. Dilute it with non-fragranced mineral oil if you want.

Can you provide a link to the lab that did the testing of soybean oil?

Yup.

From the New England Journal of Medicine

There are others if you google it. Soy oil has been accepted as safe and effective by the US FDA and by the Canadian equivalent.

This particular study shows a 2% soy oil based product that is more effective than 4.5% deet. Almost as effective as 6.5% Deet. It was considerably more effective than the products containing IR3535 (skin so soft). It lasted about 4 times longer.

Deet's efficacy goes up dramatically as the percentage goes up. 30% Deet lasts much longer according to this particular study. But if you are trying to avoid harsh chemicals, Soy oil is the ONLY way to go.

Yup.

There are others if you google it. Soy oil has been accepted as safe and effective by the US FDA and by the Canadian equivalent.

This particular study shows a 2% soy oil based product that is more effective than 4.5% deet. Almost as effective as 6.5% Deet. It was considerably more effective than the products containing IR3535 (skin so soft). It lasted about 4 times longer.

Deet's efficacy goes up dramatically as the percentage goes up. 30% Deet lasts much longer according to this particular study. But if you are trying to avoid harsh chemicals, Soy oil is the ONLY way to go.

Almost as effective as 6.5% DEET? That's not very effective. Most products have 20% DEET or more. I did a quick scan of REI products, and everything was greater than 6.5%. Only one product, Cutter Skinsations, was near that level, with 7%.

Jungle Juice Plus has 17.5% DEET (but it has other repellents mixed in). Everything else ranged from 20% to 100%.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Yup.

Almost as effective as 6.5% DEET? That's not very effective. Most products have 20% DEET or more. I did a quick scan of REI products, and everything was greater than 6.5%. Only one product, Cutter Skinsations, was near that level, with 7%.

Jungle Juice Plus has 17.5% DEET (but it has other repellents mixed in). Everything else ranged from 20% to 100%.

Hey, I never said it worked *BETTER* than deet. I'm only saying that *IF* you are one of the many people who are looking for a more pleasant alternative than the plastic melting chemicals, then soy oil products are the next best thing. They are clearly more effective than the 3rd runner up (IR3535), which is another nasty chemical.

I use deet when I feel I really need it. But there are times when I don't want to. It's no fun to go camping and wake up with your eyeballs mushed into your deet covered arm. And it certainly takes the romance out of a night in the tent with your deet-saturated Sweetie-pie.

Try this, smear one arm with deet, and the other with soybean oil. Now, lick the stuff off your arms. Which one tastes better?

Edited by headybrew

Try this, smear one arm with deet, and the other with soybean oil. Now, lick the stuff off your arms. Which one tastes better?

:huh: That seems about as reasonable as saying "Smear one arm with sunblock and the other with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup. Now lick the stuff off your arms. Which one tastes better? Whichever one does will obviously be the better choice to prevent sunburn."

:huh: That seems about as reasonable as saying "Smear one arm with sunblock and the other with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup. Now lick the stuff off your arms. Which one tastes better? Whichever one does will obviously be the better choice to prevent sunburn."

Well, I hope this isn't degenerating into a stupid argument...

I think my point is very reasonable. Soy oil based products are simply more pleasant to apply to your skin than deet.

Nobody is claiming that chocolate syrup makes a good sunblock. It's a bit to silly to go there.

Well, I hope this isn't degenerating into a stupid argument...

I think my point is very reasonable. Soy oil based products are simply more pleasant to apply to your skin than deet.

Nobody is claiming that chocolate syrup makes a good sunblock. It's a bit to silly to go there.

No sillier than the suggestion that we try licking DEET off of our arms to somehow "prove" your point.

It does make one wonder, though, just what the SPF of a good Hershey coating would be. :laughing:

Ha Ha! :unsure:

I was thinking that if I had to spend a romantic night in a tent in the woods with my sweetie-pie, would I rather her be wearing

1) deet 2) soy oil 3) chocolate syrup ? :):):)

Bug Repellent & Deet

It's that time of year.

in two months :)

That's what I was thinking :unsure:

I'll look into the bug spray when it's closer to bug season. Maybe someone will start another thread about it in May or June :laughing:

We've still got ice on the rocks here, and yet two days ago when I got home after several caches, I found a tick embedding itself in my shoulder. (We have those tick-extractor thingies, but as soon as I saw it I went into gross-out mode and the only thing I could do was yank and claw at it with bare hands until I pried it out, and then squashed it with a tape-dispenser. Now I have a hole in my shoulder. :) )

Bug Repellent & Deet

It's that time of year.

That's what I was thinking :unsure:

I'll look into the bug spray when it's closer to bug season. Maybe someone will start another thread about it in May or June :laughing:

We've still got ice on the rocks here, and yet two days ago when I got home after several caches, I found a tick embedding itself in my shoulder. (We have those tick-extractor thingies, but as soon as I saw it I went into gross-out mode and the only thing I could do was yank and claw at it with bare hands until I pried it out, and then squashed it with a tape-dispenser. Now I have a hole in my shoulder. :) )

We have ants, but they're in a plastic enclosure we bought at the store :)

I'll stick with my Jungle Juice (100% DEET).

Works like a charm, one bottle has lasted me 2 seasons and I have yet to feel any *twitch* ill effects. Big dogs! BIG DOGS! LANDING ON MY FACE! :laughing:

Heh, me too! Mosquitos are so thick in some places I hike that a head net is a must or you will inhale too many. 100% DEET works great. I'm really allergic to mosquitoes and bites swell up to huge welts. So I do what ever I have to to prevent that.

Yup.

Hey, I never said it worked *BETTER* than deet. I'm only saying that *IF* you are one of the many people who are looking for a more pleasant alternative than the plastic melting chemicals, then soy oil products are the next best thing. They are clearly more effective than the 3rd runner up (IR3535), which is another nasty chemical.

I use deet when I feel I really need it. But there are times when I don't want to. It's no fun to go camping and wake up with your eyeballs mushed into your deet covered arm. And it certainly takes the romance out of a night in the tent with your deet-saturated Sweetie-pie.

Hahaha. Guess it depends on where you are hiking/camping. Tundra in Alaska is nothing more then 4 feet of mosquito breeding grounds. I'd rather not be eaten alive then try to smell clean and fresh for any romance in the back country.

Bug Repellent & Deet

It's that time of year.

I suppose it depends on where you are :unsure: Here in AL, the ticks are already out in the woods, as are the snakes and yes, the poison ivy/oak is getting that distinctly green shade to it. Spring has nearly sprung here in the south, so bug spray time is upon us! :laughing:

I prefer the wipes. Easy to carry and apply, no aerosol cans to explode in the hot car, and no pump-spray bottles to leak.

What is the active ingredient on those and what percentage? They sure would be handy but I doubt they are heavy duty enough for me. Guess I should look and see for myself.